Comcast TiVo DVR - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4010 Old 07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just switched to E* from Comcast. I hope 18 months from now Comcast in my area (which is usually the last to get upgrades) will have a stable HD Tivo unit with firewire, and all the new HDs added too. I can then dust off my JVC DVHS VCR again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4010 Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

does every cableco have to have a card that works with tivo? My tiny cableco had the moxi box now. If i could use S3 with it, may be an option for me down the road.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #183 of 4010 Old 07-23-2006, 07:20 PM

All cablecos are supposed to provide cablecard, as far as I know; even the tiny ones.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #184 of 4010 Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

good news indeed. So then tivo gets the data from service electric and SE must provide a card right? I just didnt know if a cable co can do anything to prevent me from getting a working tivo

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #185 of 4010 Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

good news indeed. So then tivo gets the data from service electric and SE must provide a card right? I just didnt know if a cable co can do anything to prevent me from getting a working tivo

They can't prevent you but doesn't mean they will help you. I also have a small cableco and still didn't get my cablecard to work well with my Mistubishi 73927 after 2 replacements and 4 tech visits. Be prepared for a lot of fingerpointing when the S3 comes up.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #186 of 4010 Old 07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchee3 View Post

I...
If one has Cable, there isn't much need for OTA unless it is a VERY OLD cable system and they aren't even running networks in HD.

Many cable systems that have local HD do not have all local hd channels due to squabbling over money. For instance my market (Roanoke/Lynchburg) doesn't have NBC HD and the one immediately to the south of me (Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem) doesn't have ABC HD.
post #187 of 4010 Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM

I wonder if the Tivo software will forget the box is a DVR if I lose power for a few seconds, and lose all the guide data as well and have to download it, like the current iguide Moto boxes?
post #188 of 4010 Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoJ View Post

I wonder if the Tivo software will forget the box is a DVR if I lose power for a few seconds, and lose all the guide data as well and have to download it, like the current iguide Moto boxes?

Thats do to the hardware in the DCT series STB. it has nothing to do with the software your using on the STB. there are no power caps on the STB Memory to keep it from blanking out when the STb looses power.

for those who own there own STB, it is a easy $2.00 fix......

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #189 of 4010 Old 07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoJ View Post

spend as much or little as you want but a UPS is a wonderful thing to protect your investment. Especially if you have expensive equipment like a tv

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #190 of 4010 Old 07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

Thats do to the hardware in the DCT series STB. it has nothing to do with the software your using on the STB. there are no power caps on the STB Memory to keep it from blanking out when the STb looses power.

for those who own there own STB, it is a easy $2.00 fix......

It is a software issue. All they have to do is store it on the HD instead of only in memory. Not only would this allow it to survive a power loss, it could probably hold the full 2 weeks with full descriptions for all programs. Currently, the last 2 or 3 days often have no program descriptions.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #191 of 4010 Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

spend as much or little as you want but a UPS is a wonderful thing to protect your investment. Especially if you have expensive equipment like a tv

Only use a UPS, if it has a power conditioning system to keep the outgoing voltage exact. Most of the cheap ones do not, and this could cause more damage to the STB then not having a UPS.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #192 of 4010 Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

It is a software issue. All they have to do is store it on the HD instead of only in memory. Not only would this allow it to survive a power loss, it could probably hold the full 2 weeks with full descriptions for all programs. Currently, the last 2 or 3 days often have no program descriptions.

Do to the way the current Iguide data is sent in bursts over the cable, it is not feasable to store it on the HDD. It would then hog up most of the HDD CPU cycles and recorded programs from both the tuners would have a higher fail rate. The only thing stored on the HDD is your recording settings.

from the few specs we have got for the OCAP based software, it looks like the OCAP based STB will store info on the HDD, since the data is sent in a fill in data format.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #193 of 4010 Old 07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
km

Quote:

Do to the way the current Iguide data is sent in bursts over the cable, it is not feasable to store it on the HDD. It would then hog up most of the HDD CPU cycles and recorded programs from both the tuners would have a higher fail rate. The only thing stored on the HDD is your recording settings.

from the few specs we have got for the OCAP based software, it looks like the OCAP based STB will store info on the HDD, since the data is sent in a fill in data format.

What about the Comcast/Tivo software. My understanding is that its not OCAP. Will it store the guide info on disk as both the standalone and directv Tivo's do?
post #194 of 4010 Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post

What about the Comcast/Tivo software. My understanding is that its not OCAP. Will it store the guide info on disk as both the standalone and directv Tivo's do?

No the TiVo Software is not OCAP based. However the DCT 3412 & 6412 are built to handle OCAP software. How the guide data is sent to the STB has nothing to do with the STB software.

as soon as we get the specs on the new software, I plan on turning it into a PDF to make available.

Were still waiting here in south central Pa.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #195 of 4010 Old 07-27-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only use a UPS, if it has a power conditioning system to keep the outgoing voltage exact. Most of the cheap ones do not, and this could cause more damage to the STB then not having a UPS.

good advice. I guess I was wrong to assume when people spend thousands for a tv, tivos, dvd burners, computers....that they would spend $$$ for the 'right' UPS. Amazes me when I see people looking for the 'cheapest' of something to protect their $3000 investment. I have 2 belkin 1200s for computer and whole tv system. Very happy and feel safe

belkin (used to) have code 12345 that gives you 1/2 off on their website if anyone's in the market for one.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #196 of 4010 Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

good advice. I guess I was wrong to assume when people spend thousands for a tv, tivos, dvd burners, computers....that they would spend $$$ for the 'right' UPS. Amazes me when I see people looking for the 'cheapest' of something to protect their $3000 investment. I have 2 belkin 1200s for computer and whole tv system. Very happy and feel safe

belkin (used to) have code 12345 that gives you 1/2 off on their website if anyone's in the market for one.

Looks like the coupon still works. I was thinking about getting a couple of the 1100s for my home theater and PC. I'm actually as interested in the AVR (line conditioning) features as I am in the UPS, given that we live in an older home on an older street with older wiring and lots of fluctuations in the power flow.
post #197 of 4010 Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

if the coupon works....well i'd do it...just last night in the storm the old ups kicked in and saved my ass for the 10th time this year ...at least...the AC died and sounded sick so had to turn that off but we continued watching tv without so much a hiccup.

now if we could just get DTVs signal to pentrate severe clouds it would be great..thankfully ota worked fine.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #198 of 4010 Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 AM

Yes, the coupon does work, I just ordered 3 UPS systems. Discount on the $199 model down to $119.
post #199 of 4010 Old 07-28-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Looks like the coupon still works. I was thinking about getting a couple of the 1100s for my home theater and PC. I'm actually as interested in the AVR (line conditioning) features as I am in the UPS, given that we live in an older home on an older street with older wiring and lots of fluctuations in the power flow.

So in your opinion, it is OK to use a UPS system geared towards computer on AV equipment? If so, in your opinion, what capacity do I need if I am running a Pio 4270, with 1 DVD player, 1 stereo (Old 2.1), and 1 Comcast Moto 6412 cablebox?
post #200 of 4010 Old 08-05-2006, 11:09 AM

So, no new chat about the Comcast Tivo? I just left DirecTV for the Comcast HD DVR package. Of course, this means I'll be watching this site daily for word of the Tivo updgrade for the Comcast DVR package. Or the S3 - whichever comes first!
post #201 of 4010 Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Drewj.
I did the same thing... went from SD DirecTivo to HD Comcrap.
Where are you and what DVR did you get?

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #202 of 4010 Old 08-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewj View Post

So, no new chat about the Comcast Tivo? I just left DirecTV for the Comcast HD DVR package. Of course, this means I'll be watching this site daily for word of the Tivo updgrade for the Comcast DVR package. Or the S3 - whichever comes first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Drewj.

shane

I am contemplating the same thing. Have been with D* for four years and generally am pleased with the exception of HD pq and recordable locals. Even though I use OTA for recording locals, I would really like to get FSN-BA in HD but can not without the H20 and even then would not be able to record. Now that TiVo will be switching to Comcast I am thinking now may be the time to change. In your opinions, how is their DVR and overall pq and compared to D*? Is it worth the switch? Any idea when Comcast will be using TiVo? I am located in east/north bay of the bay area in Ca.
Thanks!
post #203 of 4010 Old 08-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

Drewj.

Hey Shane. I'm in the Denver area and got the Motorola 3412. Now that I've had a couple full days with the service, I'll give you my thoughts on it. For background, I've been a D* customer for about 10 years, with DTivo for the last 4 or so. I just bought a 50" plasma, so felt the need to give Comcast a try, despite the horror stories I hear from the forums. Now that I have it, it's not as bad as I was expecting...

DVR While the DVR in no way compares to DTivo, it's not as bad I was expecting. That's not to say that it's not bad, but I guess I thought it would be unusable. I seem to have a random problem where the audio/video suddenly goes out while I'm watching a recorded program. From the other problems I've heard of, I think I'll just deal with this for now. It's hard to stop the fast forward just where you want to. Scheduling recordings is a lot harder than with Tivo. DVR Overall Score: 4/10

Hi Def This makes the lousy DVR all worth it. Even SD programming looks better than D* channels. I find myself watching the Discovery HD Theater channel for hours. The only downside is that all channels aren't HD. HD Overall Score: 9/10

Conclusion Am I happy with Comcast? Well, surprisingly more than I thought I'd be. I'm sure frustrations will arise, but for now, I'm happy. Of course, the second it's available, I'm going to be buying a S3 or paying for the Tivo software upgrade on the Comcast box.
post #204 of 4010 Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 AM

Remember the old "I want my MTV" ads that effectively got the music channel on most cable lineups? We need a "I want my Comcast TiVo" ad so we can at least get some release date info. Yes, I want my Comcast TiVo!! (Where is Sting when you need him?)
post #205 of 4010 Old 08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj777 View Post

Remember the old "I want my MTV" ads that effectively got the music channel on most cable lineups? We need a "I want my Comcast TiVo" ad so we can at least get some release date info. Yes, I want my Comcast TiVo!! (Where is Sting when you need him?)

Don't you mean Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits? Or maybe you are thinking of the Live Aid guest appearance?
post #206 of 4010 Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon View Post

Don't you mean Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits? Or maybe you are thinking of the Live Aid guest appearance?

No, he doesn't. Sting did the voiceover for the "I want my MTV" in the Dire Straits song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)
post #207 of 4010 Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, wait til the DVR stops doing FF/REW or just stops working altogether. Then you'll want to throw your 3412 thru the wall.

My advice? Get a lamp cord with an inline rocker switch, cut the end off and splice it onto an extension cord. Plug the 3412 into that, with the switch hanging in a convienent location. Then you can FLIP the power on and off, without fiddling around behind your entertainment center pulling cords... That's what I did. Makes the daily/weekly reboots much less painful!
post #208 of 4010 Old 08-11-2006, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Yeah, wait til the DVR stops doing FF/REW or just stops working altogether. Then you'll want to throw your 3412 thru the wall.

My advice? Get a lamp cord with an inline rocker switch, cut the end off and splice it onto an extension cord. Plug the 3412 into that, with the switch hanging in a convienent location. Then you can FLIP the power on and off, without fiddling around behind your entertainment center pulling cords... That's what I did. Makes the daily/weekly reboots much less painful!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3?ie=UTF8&s=hi

would be easier i would think....and there's even other remote options if you look

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #209 of 4010 Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Wow. You know, I had one heck of a time with my 6412 Series III. It was very unreliable and incredibly frustrating. However, when I upgraded to the 3412, I haven't had a single serious problem in the 7 months I've had it. The only issue I've come across is that I'll turn things on and I get a black screen. A quick change of the channel or bringing up a menu resolves the problem.

So, for all of you who have serious issues with your 3412, you can rest assured that there are definitely some that work relatively flawlessly.
post #210 of 4010 Old 08-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post

So, for all of you who have serious issues with your 3412, you can rest assured that there are definitely some that work relatively flawlessly.

That's what worries me. If some 3412s work flawlessly and others don't, and this can't be traced to software / firmware version, then it's likely that 3412s are plagued by hardware issues. If so, no amount of software that TiVo writes will be able to fix them.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page