Comcast TiVo DVR - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 4010 Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone ever gets a chance to sign into the Comcast.net forums under the title Cable TV, there is a Comcast forum Administrator / Employee who states that the beta has been very successful and that the deployment may be accelerated.

One could hope......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 AM

yeah, I read that. Could mean anything considering it took 2 years to get this far. Accelerated could mean in 1 year.
post #2163 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a dream last night that I was able to get the Tivo software for my box, but not legitimately.

I'll try to recollect what I can from the dream.
In my dream I downloaded a leaked copy. It was a .bin file off of rapidshare or a torrent. I was able to load it on the DCT-6412 by setting up a TFTP server with a certain directory structure and ip address. I plugged this into the Ethernet port on the DCT, and initiated a firmware download by powering it on while holding a combination of keys on the front panel.

Anyway I was using it and it was really cool. Too bad it was all a dream! I remember that when I would push menu or guide, there was a good 2-3 second pause, but once you were in the menu it was pretty quick. The system played all of the tivo clicks and beep sounds. I kinda remember thinking 'is this it??? this is all I've been waiting for?' I also remember a message onscreen about unable to contact customization server at 10.x.x.x\\gixxxxxxxxx\ ivo . I attributed this to the headend not having the server to support some of Tivo's features.

Wow my imagination was pretty vivid.
post #2164 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

I had a dream last night that I was able to get the Tivo software for my box, but not legitimately.

In my dream I downloaded a leaked copy. It was a .bin file off of rapidshare or a torrent. I was able to load it on the DCT-6412 by setting up a TFTP server with a certain directory structure and ip address. I plugged this into the Ethernet port on the DCT, and initiated a firmware download by powering it on while holding a combination of keys on the front panel.

Anyway I was using it and it was really cool. Too bad it was all a dream! I remember that when I would push menu or guide, there was a good 2-3 second pause, but once you were in the menu it was pretty quick. The system played all of the tivo clicks and beep sounds. I kinda remember thinking 'is this it??? this is all I've been waiting for?' I also remember a message onscreen about unable to contact customization server at 10.x.x.x\\gixxxxxxxxx\ ivo . I attributed this to the headend not having the server to support some of Tivo's features.

Wow, that's a pretty vivid "dream" there cypher.

Really I think that the Comcast Tivo service has been so built up over the past two years that for many people it will inevitably be a let down. It just can't possibly live up to the hype.
post #2165 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey, thanks. If you have any more "dreams" about this software, feel free to share them. I don't like the part about the 2-3 second pauses.
post #2166 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if during your next dream you could see if it has native resolution?

Or perhaps see if the hybrid mode supports 1080i/480i instead of 1080i/480p?

Sweet Dreams!
post #2167 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I think it will be exactly what I expect from TiVo. And if it isn't, then I will blame the hardware and not TiVo.
post #2168 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I know I had quite an imagination growing up. Nice to know it's still there!

Cool dream, but then when you wake up its like, awww man!
post #2169 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

I think it will be exactly what I expect from TiVo. And if it isn't, then I will blame the hardware and not TiVo.

Well, the Tivo HD menus are still very very slow, at least compared to series 2 boxes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Comcast box was even slower.
post #2170 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I know I had quite an imagination growing up. Nice to know it's still there!

Cool dream, but then when you wake up its like, awww man!

In your dream did you happen to notice if the 30 second skip function still worked after your hacked Tivo upgrade?

Does anyone know if we will be able to hack a 30 second skip in the real thing? I don't care how much nicer the Tivo UI and other functions are, I can't upgrade without being able to skip.
post #2171 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genovese View Post

In your dream did you happen to notice if the 30 second skip function still worked after your hacked Tivo upgrade?

Does anyone know if we will be able to hack a 30 second skip in the real thing? I don't care how much nicer the Tivo UI and other functions are, I can't upgrade without being able to skip.

Always interesting to see just how different we all are, and how some features mean so much to some, and not for others. Actually, I'm with you on this one, but I'm sure you'll be flamed for it.
post #2172 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Well, the Tivo HD menus are still very very slow, at least compared to series 2 boxes.

Hmmm...
My Series3 is much faster than my Series2 540. I didn't think the TiVoHD was that slow. Are you on v9.2?
post #2173 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you still running 8.1, or have you gotten 9.2 yet ?

8.1 was definitely very slow. This was fixed in 8.3 on the Series3, and in 9.1 and 9.2 on the TiVoHD.
post #2174 of 4010 Old 10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
My point indeed. TiVo is quick to see problems and fix them.

No matter how many problems I pointed out to Comcast and GuideWorks they jut told me the iGuide was perfect.

Go figure.
post #2175 of 4010 Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

In your next dream could you dream up the following.

1. Comcast CSR's that have a clue.
2. Comcast adding new HD stations without a long protracted negotiation
3. And a 30 Second skip hack for the new Tivo software
post #2176 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 AM

Be careful what you wish for.... your #2 would happen if Comcast owned those stations. You may not like the result of that.
post #2177 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

In your next dream could you dream up the following. 1. Comcast CSR's that have a clue. 2. Comcast adding new HD stations without a long protracted negotiation 3. And a 30 Second skip hack for the new Tivo software

Not to mention esata!
post #2178 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about commercial skip instead of a 30 second skip?
post #2179 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM

That's called On Demand.
post #2180 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

That's called On Demand.

If onDemand had all the shows I watch in HD. But it's not even close in my market. Of the major networks only CBS has HD onDemand, and they only offer CSI in HD...

But yeah, if onDemand had everything I normally record...
post #2181 of 4010 Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 PM

I haven't read through the whole thread but has Tivo worked out the issues with Scientific Atlantic and their Cable Cards?
post #2182 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 AM

wrong place for that question, this is for comcast installing tivo software on comcast hardware, motorola first.
post #2183 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

If onDemand had all the shows I watch in HD. But it's not even close in my market. Of the major networks only CBS has HD onDemand, and they only offer CSI in HD...But yeah, if onDemand had everything I normally record...

And if only OnDemand didn't cripple the FF and REW functions...
post #2184 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Does anyone have a guess (or dream like recollections) if the Tivo enabled boxes will have
multi-room viewing capabilities?

Its the one thing I truly wish for! Having two 3416's and no ability to share between the two sucks!!!
post #2185 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM

Has any one yet been able to punch in their zip code into the gettivo page of Comcast and actually get it to come back that TiVO service IS available in their neighborhood?
post #2186 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM

i am sure once someone successfully puts one in they will post. I am also hoping the will send the emails out in a timely manner. But I will most likely expect the reminder emails to be delayed from the actually availability.
post #2187 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstambo View Post

Does anyone have a guess (or dream like recollections) if the Tivo enabled boxes will have
multi-room viewing capabilities?

My guess is "no". Comcast is working on MRV-like capability to be added as part of a separate activity, not related to TiVo software.
post #2188 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

My guess is "no". Comcast is working on MRV-like capability to be added as part of a separate activity, not related to TiVo software.

Cool, that cant happen fast enough for me....
post #2189 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really I think that the Comcast Tivo service has been so built up over the past two years that for many people it will inevitably be a let down. It just can't possibly live up to the hype.

I'd say it is commonly held that the Tivo design is superior to iGuide. So even if performance isn't that great, if the features simply work as advertised, it would be a significant upgrade over iGuide. Just recording programs as scheduled would be a big bonus.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.0.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
post #2190 of 4010 Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

I'd say it is commonly held that the Tivo design is superior to iGuide. So even if performance isn't that great, if the features simply work as advertised, it would be a significant upgrade over iGuide. Just recording programs as scheduled would be a big bonus.

Amen to that!!! Coming from a directivo box, I never had to worry if something was recording or not, or if the unit was going to delete a program because of space full, etc.

With this moto box, I really do check with dreaded anticipation if a series record actually did or not. And if I dont watch it for a few days, will it be there when I look again....too much stress!!

But so far my biggest pet peeve is the remote control delays with this box. for no apparent reason the box dosent respond for a few seconds and then all the remote key presses start queuing. Wow is that annoying!!!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page