DirecTV HD TiVo HR10-250 Continued - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 586 Old 06-19-2006, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
This is a continuation of the original thread which starts Here in April 2004 and ends Here

Please keep all talk about the HR10-250 in this thread only

Please keep On Topic and please avoid bashing or feuding

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 586 Old 06-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a H10-250 with the OTA hooked up. In addition to the local channels I receive can I also tune in the multicast channels that my locals are broadcasting?

It would be nice to tune into the local live radar without a lot of fuss.
post #3 of 586 Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do you mean is D* carrying your local multicasted channels? No, they aren't. They are not carrying the digital versions (HD if you want to call the LiL channels that) in MPEG2. I am not certain that they are carrying the multicasted channels even on the MPEG4 LiL feeds. The MPEG4 discussion thread could probably answer that for you.

However, if you are just asking if the HR10-250 can pull in all the OTA stations including multicasted ones using an OTA antenna, then the answer is an emphatic YES.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethek View Post

I have a H10-250 with the OTA hooked up. In addition to the local channels I receive can I also tune in the multicast channels that my locals are broadcasting?

post #4 of 586 Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethek View Post

if you mean the sub channels, yes you can, Ethek.

have you done a "scan for off-air channels?

Just say no to cable.
post #5 of 586 Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone get a fix on the digital audio switch noise with Tivo and ND channels?

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #6 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 AM

I just got the free HD DVR installed, great machine, but:
1. I cannot get the digital audio out to work with my receivers, I went thru the menu and set it dd5.1 out on.

2. Watching HDNET, I paused the pic and toggled thru the 1080i, 720P, 480P. 720P looked the worse and I didn't notice much difference b/w 1080i and 480P if any?

3. Is there any way to remove some of the off-air channels that don't work?

4. any way to determine the amount of space left on the HD.

Couldn't find the answers in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

All in all, pretty cool.
post #7 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlbe View Post

I just got the free HD DVR installed, great machine, but:
1. I cannot get the digital audio out to work with my receivers, I went thru the menu and set it dd5.1 out on.

2. Watching HDNET, I paused the pic and toggled thru the 1080i, 720P, 480P. 720P looked the worse and I didn't notice much difference b/w 1080i and 480P if any?

3. Is there any way to remove some of the off-air channels that don't work?

4. any way to determine the amount of space left on the HD.

Couldn't find the answers in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

All in all, pretty cool.

1. are you using toslink/optical cable?

2. what's the native resolution for your set? i think allot of people expect more of a difference between resolutions when they first check it out, i know i did.

3. yes go into setup, settings, channels and then channels you receive. once your there, uncheck the channels you don't want.

4. no, unfortunately. i keep an eye on it by counting approximately how many hours of recordings i have. for example, i add 2 hours for each HD movie to 1/2 hour and one hour shows, when i get close to 25 HD hours, i start deleting shows i don't really want.

the unit can hold 250 hours of SD programming or 30 hours of HD, if i remember correctly.

enjoy, gwlbe.

Just say no to cable.
post #8 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I'm using the Toslink, still nada on both my Denon and Yamaha receivers.

Sony WS510 not sure manual doesn't state native resolution, just says it accepts 480P,720P & 1080i. My Panny AE300 front projector is 1/2 1080i. I notice the same on my upscaling DVD player that not much difference b/w 1080i and 480P on the Sony. On the projector big difference.

Thanks for the info

Sure wish they would activate the USB ports.
post #9 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I'm using the Toslink, still nada on both my Denon and Yamaha receivers.

Sony WS510 not sure manual doesn't state native resolution, just says it accepts 480P,720P & 1080i. My Panny AE300 front projector is 1/2 1080i. I notice the same on my upscaling DVD player that not much difference b/w 1080i and 480P on the Sony. On the projector big difference.

Thanks for the info

Sure wish they would activate the USB ports.

you have a toslink cable going from the HR10 straight into either your dennon or yammy and you get no sound?

what happens if you turn off the DD in the settings, have you tried that?

how big is your sony TV?

Just say no to cable.
post #10 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM

Toslink straight to either receiver, nada, I'll try with DD off tonight.

Sony is 51 inch.
post #11 of 586 Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Per pg. 32 of the DirectvHR10-250 pdf Manual..."While a cable is connected to the
HDMI Output jack, the Component Video Output is disabled. You can't view video
from both the HDMI Output and the Component Video Output at the same time."

I have to unplug my HDMI switch (feeding InFocus SP4805 projector) whenever I want to watch Panny PT51HX41E RPTV thru component.
Anyone know of any other solutions?

TIA,
sgibson
post #12 of 586 Old 06-24-2006, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Per pg. 32 of the DirectvHR10-250 pdf Manual..."While a cable is connected to the
HDMI Output jack, the Component Video Output is disabled. You can't view video
from both the HDMI Output and the Component Video Output at the same time."

I have to unplug my HDMI switch (feeding InFocus SP4805 projector) whenever I want to watch Panny PT51HX41E RPTV thru component.
Anyone know of any other solutions?

TIA,
sgibson

here you go, tia.

Just say no to cable.
post #13 of 586 Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

here you go, tia.

That's it! Thanks a million,

sgibson
post #14 of 586 Old 06-25-2006, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

That's it! Thanks a million,

sgibson

my pleasure.

Just say no to cable.
post #15 of 586 Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Sony WS510 not sure manual doesn't state native resolution, just says it accepts 480P,720P & 1080i. .

HDNet is a 1080i channel. If I recall correctly the WS510's are CRT based and 1080i native. The vast majority of these types of sets do *not* do a very good job with 720p sources ... (often they are bobbed and cropped to 540p.) You are probably better off leaving the HR10 at 1080i for all HD programming.

I tested my "720p accepting," Toshiba, CRT based set with a native 720p source (local ABC affiliate) during MNF. Toggling between 1080i, 720p and 480i/p output on the HR10, it was clear that the TV was demoting the 720p input to 540p ... YMMV of course.

One more thing: the Sony's have a DRC circuit which is just a fancy name for a scaler/upconverter. As I understand it, the device has several settings one of which promotes 480i/p to 540p by 960.
post #16 of 586 Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Did a search but couldn't find anything. My digital audio stopped working right in middle of a movie. I've switched cables, that didn't work so I know it is not the cable. I know the component sound works, so it is not my receiver. Also tried moving input on receiver from 2 to 3..still no sound. Has anyone else had their digital output die?
TIA.

"A better tomorrow takes your best today"....Rik Emmett
post #17 of 586 Old 06-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Assume you are using optical(toslink) directly from the HR10-250 to the receiver?

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #18 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post

Did a search but couldn't find anything. My digital audio stopped working right in middle of a movie. I've switched cables, that didn't work so I know it is not the cable. I know the component sound works, so it is not my receiver. Also tried moving input on receiver from 2 to 3..still no sound. Has anyone else had their digital output die?
TIA.

no but what do you mean by "component sound", steelerhater?

Just say no to cable.
post #19 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 AM

Does this unit come with an HDMI cable in the box?

Thanks.
post #20 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 AM

I recently tried calling yesterday because I am getting my new D* service on monday. What I really wanted was a DVR but I've got this whole trade-off with either recieving local channels in MPEG-4 HD with the H20 reciever or getting the DVR now (Tivo box) functionality and no local channels. I know I can get the off-air antenna for local channels but I was told my someone else in our area that it doesn't work too well.

When I called, they told me initially next month the new DVR will be released. I tried calling again about it because I was trying to get more info about having a DVR now and upgrading later but they didn't seem to be too helpful. One person said next month, the other person said in FEBRUARY (geez!!) and the same difference in answers when I asked about upgrading if I were to get it now. One said I could be paying $0 or $99 to upgrade and the other said I could be paying full price.

So who should I believe and what should I do? Should I just get the H20 now and wait on the DVR until the HR20 is released or should I get the HDTivo box, miss out on local channels and upgrade the to HR20?
post #21 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperliteg4 View Post

I recently tried calling yesterday because I am getting my new D* service on monday. What I really wanted was a DVR but I've got this whole trade-off with either recieving local channels in MPEG-4 HD with the H20 reciever or getting the DVR now (Tivo box) functionality and no local channels. I know I can get the off-air antenna for local channels but I was told my someone else in our area that it doesn't work too well.

When I called, they told me initially next month the new DVR will be released. I tried calling again about it because I was trying to get more info about having a DVR now and upgrading later but they didn't seem to be too helpful. One person said next month, the other person said in FEBRUARY (geez!!) and the same difference in answers when I asked about upgrading if I were to get it now. One said I could be paying $0 or $99 to upgrade and the other said I could be paying full price.

So who should I believe and what should I do? Should I just get the H20 now and wait on the DVR until the HR20 is released or should I get the HDTivo box, miss out on local channels and upgrade the to HR20?

i would definitely get the HR10 now, only god knows when the HR20 will finally be released and besides, you really have nothing to lose anyway.

Just say no to cable.
post #22 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sorry if this has already been asked.

I subscribed to Direct TV and wanted to get the Tivo 10-250 to time shift HD TV

My main interest was stuff off the networks, ESPN then movies off HBO etc.

Now I'm hearing that the 10-250 will not record HD CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC off the networks from my Direct TV.

Am I missing something here as it all plays perfectly well on my projector.

Many thanks
Rob
post #23 of 586 Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holloway View Post

Now I'm hearing that the 10-250 will not record HD CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC off the networks from my Direct TV.

Only if you live in an area that has MPEG4 HD Locals via DirecTV.

LA and NY HD locals are still MPEG2, as they are the DNS HD Networks provided by DirecTV to those who don't have HD locals available by satellite yet.

You'll be able to record/time shift HD locals if you can get them from an antenna (OTA),
and will be able to for some time.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #24 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 AM

once again, should I, can I, demand the 5lnb dish? someone's coming out this afternoon... and my current dish is installed pretty shoddy. So I want the guy to at least install A dish correctly. Think I'll have problems?
post #25 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamartin View Post

once again, should I, can I, demand the 5lnb dish? someone's coming out this afternoon... and my current dish is installed pretty shoddy. So I want the guy to at least install A dish correctly. Think I'll have problems?

I have the AT9 since January - it delivers a beautiful signal. It is larger and heavier than the triple dish, but in my case that is NOT an issue nor a problem. It is not visible unless you are a distance away from my house, and it was securely installed with monopole supports.

If this is similar to you, I would have the 5lnb installed. It will allow you to immediately be able to take advantag of any new MPEG4 channels (and they WILL be starting to add some this weekend) - such as the local RSNs.

You still can have the HR10-250 DVR with this dish, but you can also have H20 HD receivers. When the new HD-DVr comes out, all you would have to do is plug it in to the wall.

There is a new 'slimline' 5lnb dish to be launched but there has been NO hint of when. My own feeling is that you almost have to be able to reduce rain fade with the current larger current AT9 version - so if the size of the dish doesn't scare you I would go ahead with it.
post #26 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBuck View Post

I have the AT9 since January - it delivers a beautiful signal. It is larger and heavier than the triple dish, but in my case that is NOT an issue nor a problem. It is not visible unless you are a distance away from my house, and it was securely installed with monopole supports.

If this is similar to you, I would have the 5lnb installed. It will allow you to immediately be able to take advantag of any new MPEG4 channels (and they WILL be starting to add some this weekend) - such as the local RSNs.

You still can have the HR10-250 DVR with this dish, but you can also have H20 HD receivers. When the new HD-DVr comes out, all you would have to do is plug it in to the wall.

There is a new 'slimline' 5lnb dish to be launched but there has been NO hint of when. My own feeling is that you almost have to be able to reduce rain fade with the current larger current AT9 version - so if the size of the dish doesn't scare you I would go ahead with it.

that's news to me, from what i hear, the HR10 will NOT work with the new 5 LNB dish.

Just say no to cable.
post #27 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

that's news to me, from what i hear, the HR10 will NOT work with the new 5 LNB dish.

I will check on this and get back by tomorrow, I am almost certain that my cousin has this - and has for 4 months or so.
post #28 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

went to DbsTalk.com, see many people stating things like the following in their signatures:

10 year D* Customer
Panasonic TH-50PX50U
5-LNB/H20
(2) HR10-250's
(2) Harmony 880's
Sony DAV-FR8 HT
SAT-B2 RCA Receiver (10 Years old)
SD-DVR-40 and 80

bunches more with similar statements about AT9 and HR10-250
post #29 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

i stand corrected, the HR10 IS compatible with the new 5 LNB dish, it's NOT able to receive Mpeg4 signals though.

i did a quick search over there and this statement from litzdog911 confused me.

"I think they are now available. You need both the new 5-LNB dish and an H20 HiDef Receiver to view them. The HR10-250 DVR is not compatible with the new MPEG4 channels. Note also that DirecTV is only providing CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox local HDTV channels. You'll need an over-the-air antenna to receive PBS and other local HDTV broadcasts."

sorry about that.

Just say no to cable.
post #30 of 586 Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 AM

cool. I'll chat with the guy and see what he's willing to hook me up with. thanks for the insight.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page