D* HR20 topic - Page 152 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #4531 of 4542 Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Have you seen the two side by side?

I've had the HR20 for over a year, and have been field testing the HR21 for a while now. I know things about the HR21 that I can't even talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

For example, the HR21 displays only 4 letters for the channel name in the grid.

My HR21 displays 242 USAHD, 244 SCFIHD, 245 TNTHD, 247 TBSHD. I could go on, but you get the picture. No clue why your HR21 is different than mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Also there are more options to change colors/fonts in the HR21 than there never were in my HR20.

Not quite sure what you're talking about here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

What makes you so sure the software is the same between these units when I can see obvious differences?

They are different units. The HR20 software does not drop directly onto the HR21. Each one is independent, but the goal is to make them the same as far as features go.
Jeremy W is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4532 of 4542 Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


They are different units. The HR20 software does not drop directly onto the HR21. Each one is independent, but the goal is to make them the same as far as features go.

That is quite different that what you said before.

And the fact that we are seeing different things means there are issues to discuss.

If no one else starts an HR21 thread I guess I will

fafner
fafner is offline  
post #4533 of 4542 Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

That is quite different that what you said before.

From an end-user perspective, the software is supposed to be exactly the same. That's what I was saying before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

the fact that we are seeing different things means there are issues to discuss.

What software version are you running?
Jeremy W is offline  
post #4534 of 4542 Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
veryoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

From an end-user perspective, the software is supposed to be exactly the same. That's what I was saying before.

What software version are you running?

National is 016D

there still are a few features in the newest HR20-700 software that hasn't made it to the HR21, but they're minor as you were trying to say.
VOD has made it to the HR20-700, but not "yet" to the HR21

A.K.A. VOS
veryoldschool is offline  
post #4535 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

From an end-user perspective, the software is supposed to be exactly the same. That's what I was saying before.

What software version are you running?

Exactly what is your reason for objecting to an HR21 exclusive thread?

My objective would be to discuss all aspects of it, including whether it does what is "supposed" to do.

I guess the title of this thread could be changed to HR20/HR21 if you really think that having a separate thread is a bad idea.

This forum should have some thread with HR21 in the title to help newcomers find the right place for their comments/questions. Users new to AVS and getting the HR21 as their first D* box will have to reason to believe that the HR21 is at all related to the HR20.

fafner
fafner is offline  
post #4536 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Member
 
rsecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ft lauderdale, fl.
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Early yesterday morning I got the software update on my HR20. I saw the option to not have duplicate SD & HD channels show on the guide, and did that. But when I push the menu button I don't see the On Demand option that's been mentioned in this forum. Is it because I haven't networked the unit yet, or does it take time for the unit to download this from the satellite?
rsecpa is offline  
post #4537 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
veryoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsecpa View Post

Early yesterday morning I got the software update on my HR20. I saw the option to not have duplicate SD & HD channels show on the guide, and did that. But when I push the menu button I don't see the On Demand option that's been mentioned in this forum. Is it because I haven't networked the unit yet, or does it take time for the unit to download this from the satellite?

There are several parts to VOD [DoD]:
1) you do need to be networked since that's where is comes from.
2) once you're networked, D* needs to add it to your account.

A.K.A. VOS
veryoldschool is offline  
post #4538 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
veryoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Exactly what is your reason for objecting to an HR21 exclusive thread?

My objective would be to discuss all aspects of it, including whether it does what is "supposed" to do.

I guess the title of this thread could be changed to HR20/HR21 if you really think that having a separate thread is a bad idea.

This forum should have some thread with HR21 in the title to help newcomers find the right place for their comments/questions. Users new to AVS and getting the HR21 as their first D* box will have to reason to believe that the HR21 is at all related to the HR20.

fafner

If you look at the H21 thread, you'll see little to no activity. Maybe the Mods can change the titles of both to 20/21.

A.K.A. VOS
veryoldschool is offline  
post #4539 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Exactly what is your reason for objecting to an HR21 exclusive thread?

I never made a comment on an HR21 thread. I don't care if an exclusive thread is made or not. Personally, I think having DirecTV receiver discussions here is silly, when sister forum DBSTalk is a much better resource.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #4540 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

If you look at the H21 thread, you'll see little to no activity. Maybe the Mods can change the titles of both to 20/21.

this thread is over a year old and 152 pages:

may I suggest a new master thread for 20/21?

one member who posts here often should start it, then this thread can be closed with a redirect

PM me

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
post #4541 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
armin_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HAHA ok, well it has been almost 36 hours since my HR20 got updated. Still no channel 1000 and the on demand does nothing.

And just to confirm, my receiver has been on my network and able to connect to D* since it was dropped off by the installer.

However, I am unable to ping it from any device on my network.
armin_t is offline  
post #4542 of 4542 Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Great thread: but getting too old/too long

please continue the discussion here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12070481

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off