D* HR20 topic - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4542 Old 08-23-2006, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I'm an SD customer with premium channels and Sunday Ticket so I'm hoping that I'll be able to swing at least one free HR20 when the time comes. Especially since I'll have to shell out even more in order to get Sunday Ticket in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4542 Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Until the day comes that DirecTV enables either the OTA on these or has every single digital channel in my market I will not upgrade. I will wait it out and when my contract is up I will switch to Comcast. I can't believe they have not enabled the OTA capability yet. I have no PBS in MPEG4 and no way of getting it if I upgrade. Also, I cannot currently get distant stations in MPEG 4 but I can get them OTA. This is just another reason why everyone who has DirecTV should drop them if they are into HDTV. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE FROM DIRECTV AGAIN.
post #183 of 4542 Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

Until the day comes that DirecTV enables either the OTA on these or has every single digital channel in my market I will not upgrade. I will wait it out and when my contract is up I will switch to Comcast. I can't believe they have not enabled the OTA capability yet. I have no PBS in MPEG4 and no way of getting it if I upgrade. Also, I cannot currently get distant stations in MPEG 4 but I can get them OTA. This is just another reason why everyone who has DirecTV should drop them if they are into HDTV. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE FROM DIRECTV AGAIN.

the sky is falling!! the sky is falling!!!... could we just take a step back and relax?.... perhaps "D" isn't for you and others... i won't be able to get the pbs ota either, but i'll just wait. no provider is perfect, just look at the complaints they all get. relax
post #184 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:

This is just another reason why everyone who has DirecTV should drop them if they are into HDTV. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE FROM DIRECTV AGAIN.

Really great advice . I fall into the category of "everyone who has DirecTV" and since I don't get OTA or cable HD, how would dropping D* benefit me?

More HD + More Golf = Retired!
post #185 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Why are you assuming OTA is disabled on the HR20? If you download the owners manual which was in the link to value electronics posted a page back, you will see that the HR20 includes an OTA input and states that you can record up to 3 programs simultaneously; 2 off of the Sats and 1 OTA. I doubt they would put this information in the manual if they weren't going to enable OTA. Disabling OTA would make no sense anyway.

Chris
post #186 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post

Why are you assuming OTA is disabled on the HR20? If you download the owners manual which was in the link to value electronics posted a page back, you will see that the HR20 includes an OTA input and states that you can record up to 3 programs simultaneously; 2 off of the Sats and 1 OTA. I doubt they would put this information in the manual if they weren't going to enable OTA. Disabling OTA would make no sense anyway.

No one is assuming anything. As of today the OTA input is disabled.
post #187 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

I am a current D* customer who is considering my first HDTV purchase. I have been following some 200 pages of threads on the Sony A2000 / XBR2 over the past several months. One of the show stoppers for me is the lack of outputs (firewire) on any of the new HDTVs. Id like to be able to archive OTA HD broadcasts - to either a high def (D-VHS) or low def (mini DV or standard DVD recorder) - but appear to be 'dead in the water' without any outputs.

My questions:

1. If I upgraded my D* service to include HD (with either HR 10 now or HR 20 when availalble) could I download

a) high def content from the HR 20 hard drive to a D-VHS recorder through the component connections (assuming the D-VHS recorder had component inputs - I believe most use firewire inputs)

b) high def content from the HR 20 hard drive that is 'downrezzed' to a DVD recorder through the RCA video or S Video outputs (ignoring 16:9 4:3 issues)

c) std def content from the HR-20 hard drive to a DVD recorder through the RCA video output

Basically I'm asking if I use the HR-20 hard drive to record high or low def programming acquired either OTA or with the STB can I archive those programs through the outputs of the HR-20 to any high or low def medium?

I guess if the answer is YES, I could dismiss my reluctance to buy a HDTV that didn't have the capabiltly to output any signal including one acquired with the OTA tuner. Thanks for any ideas on this issue.
post #188 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

highheater -

You would be able to record 480i video only. DVHS machines can't encode HD from analog sources.

So the short answers are: A. NO B. Yes and C. Yes
post #189 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordo View Post

Yes ... and when the very first DirecTiVo's hit the market, only one of the two included tuners was enabled.

Remember that the first round of HR20 customers only "need" them because:

a) "OTA doesn't work for them at all and they need the HD-LiL's"
b) "OTA would work for them, but they can't deal with an antenna."

Everybody else that "needs" OTA recording can get by just fine with the HR10 for now ...

I'm just not getting why all the histrionics are required here.
post #190 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

It IS big and it weighs 45lbs the tech told me. I had to get a new mount to put on the roof of our apt bldg. I got really lucky and the tech waited while I ran down the street to buy a new place to mount it.

It's not that much bigger than the Phase 3 dish, and it weighs about 32 lbs.

Chip
post #191 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordo View Post

Probably a stupid question, but if and when they enable the OTA input, will it be a hardware upgrade or a software upgrade?

In other words, if I get an early model, will I then need to get a new, OTA-enabled box down the road?
post #192 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post

highheater -

You would be able to record 480i video only. DVHS machines can't encode HD from analog sources.

So the short answers are: A. NO B. Yes and C. Yes

Thanks for the reply ... sounds like the archive of SD and downrezzed HD is covered with the outputs from the D* HD recievers. I wasn't aware that the D-VHS recorders only used digital inputs but I guess I could have guessed that since most of those I have seen used firewire inputs. Am I correct that the only options for archiving HD content at high def resolution (for now to D-VHS) is to:

1) find a TV with an included OTA tuner with a firewire output
2) buy a separate OTA tuner (are these still available ?) that has a firewire output (even harder to find?)
3) Use a D-VHS recorder that has HDMI inputs (don't all current ones use firewire only?)
4) wait for a HD-DVD or Blue Ray recorder that either has an included OTA tuner or some as-of-yet undefined connection standard (HDMI or firewire input?) to recieve a signal from the HDTV

Once again thanks for your patience with the uninformed
post #193 of 4542 Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomus View Post

Probably a stupid question, but if and when they enable the OTA input, will it be a hardware upgrade or a software upgrade?

In other words, if I get an early model, will I then need to get a new, OTA-enabled box down the road?

The guy that did the review on DBSTalk opened up his unit and says the OTA tuners are in there, and that the set up menu shows them, but they are grayed out.

So when they are enabled, it will be through a software upgrade.

At this point, I'm willing to take the word of someone who actually has one and has opened it up and looked inside it over posters who have yet to see the unit.
post #194 of 4542 Old 08-25-2006, 06:06 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post

General consensus at dbstalk (100's of posts on the HR20) is:
1) Manual is incorrect. You will only be able to record off 2 tuners at once. Same combinations as currntly exist on the HR10.
2) OTA tuners will be enabled (via software upgrade) at the same time the HR20 goes national (expected to be October). There is no doubt that the OTA tuners will be enabled. D* is very aware of the requirement. Additionally, the tuners are state of the art and definitely superior to those in the HR10.
post #195 of 4542 Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

Thanks for the reply ...

If you want to archive HD from the new HR20 you will only be able to do it as SD 480i.

Other devices will allow you to archive in HD to some extent but they need to either have fire-wire or be hacked in some way to allow access to what is stored on the hard drive.

HDMI is used to transfer un-compressed data so the only devices with HDMI inputs are going to be display devices. You can't record from HDMI.
post #196 of 4542 Old 08-25-2006, 08:52 AM

Just an update for others looking to upgrade. I was SD subscriber with HBO, two tuners (one SD DVR) and called retention about upgrading to HD with my new TV purchase. After a bit of hagling I got the HR20 free, shipping waived and the new 5lnb dish installed with no money out of pocket. Only cost to me was the $9.99 monthly increase for HD programming. I did have to renew my contract but that was fine since I never planned on leaving anways.

I stressed that this was the same deal I could get from my cable company (no equiment costs) and they should offer a comprable deal. Install date is Sept. 17th.

I think D* is smart enough to realize keeping existing users is worth the cost vs. trying to get new ones. Now I hope the install goes well.
post #197 of 4542 Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM

I called retention today and they said the HR20-250's will be rolling out end of September.
post #198 of 4542 Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 AM

DirecTV is sponsoring an official sign-up list for the HR20. It is hosted on DBSTalk (which is part of the AVS Family)

http://hr20-offer.dbstalk.com/

If you signup... your information will be sent to DirecTV, and they will be contacting you (via email), as soon as the unit is available in your area.

------------
Earl

Hmm, this could get expensive!
post #199 of 4542 Old 08-26-2006, 12:53 PM

I just got my new HR20 - im in the LA market

my initial impressions are that I prefer it to all my other receivers (I have 4 other receivers, including the HD tivo recorder one)

the receiver is much faster and much more responsive than the Tivo units

locals in HD is cool too

I'm happy

so far been messing with it for 48 hrs and no weirdness that I can see
post #200 of 4542 Old 08-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can report the same thing here. My HR20 was installed yesterday and I haven't had any issues with it yet. Managed to record and playback several programs without video or audio issues. The guide in this DVR is faster than in the HR 10. It's a steep learning curve for me since this is my first DVR. I'll report my experiences more fully the more I use the machine....
post #201 of 4542 Old 08-27-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS View Post

I can report the same thing here. My HR20 was installed yesterday and I haven't had any issues with it yet. Managed to record and playback several programs without video or audio issues. The guide in this DVR is faster than in the HR 10. It's a steep learning curve for me since this is my first DVR. I'll report my experiences more fully the more I use the machine....

Dean, do you mean it's faster than the H10 or HR10, since you said this is your first DVR?

I ask because the H10 is pretty fast, while the HR10 is slow.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #202 of 4542 Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netronin View Post

Just an update for others looking to upgrade. I was SD subscriber with HBO, two tuners (one SD DVR) and called retention about upgrading to HD with my new TV purchase. After a bit of hagling I got the HR20 free, shipping waived and the new 5lnb dish installed with no money out of pocket. Only cost to me was the $9.99 monthly increase for HD programming. I did have to renew my contract but that was fine since I never planned on leaving anways.

I stressed that this was the same deal I could get from my cable company (no equiment costs) and they should offer a comprable deal. Install date is Sept. 17th.

I think D* is smart enough to realize keeping existing users is worth the cost vs. trying to get new ones. Now I hope the install goes well.

Starting 3rd yr. HD, 5th yr. ST, HBO-only sub w/ no 10-250 swap and 2 Sammy Tivo-SDs + Hughes HD bought via D* credit. With virtually no haggling:

HR20 + 5LNB dish + install @ $19.99 total.
Showtime Free for 6 mos.
Encore/Starz Free 3mos.
post #203 of 4542 Old 08-27-2006, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Just got my two HR20's installed yesterday.

I think that the picture overall is sharper and better than the H10-250..

Only 2 slight problems/weirdness..

1.) Scheduled a recording on a channel I didn't realize I didn't get (Sprout).... when I went to play it, the rec gave me a message that my card was no longer autorized and it was searching for authorization... screen colors inverted, was slow to respond, but then was able to get out by pushing exit and erasing the programs... weird one...

2.) More pressing issue... when I turn my tv off and back on later, I get no picture on the set unless I toggle resolutions on the box... HDMI connection.

Hope they change the guide button to directly take you to the guide (having to push it twice is pretty stupid IMO)... and I miss the Tivo style guide, but I am so much happier with the speed of the box... I hope they will consider dual buffers...

But so far, a much better box, picture and speed wise, than the Tivo...

PS.. a note to those OTA doubters.. there is a sticker, obviously added later, on the box that say "Coming Later 2006 OTA functionality".. I am paraphrasing, but thats the gist.
post #204 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called customer retention to order an HR20. They told me it wasn't available in my area, and that it costs $299. After some haggling, I was able to get the unit for free, plus a free meal at Ruth's Chris one night a week for 2 straight years, the Titanium package for free for life, and a 125% of appraised value mortgage on my home for %2.75 APR with no fees or points.

BEAT THAT!
post #205 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 AM

^^ Jeeze, I hadn't realized that D* was so customer friendly!

I'll give them a call just before I order a Dish VIP 622
post #206 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Jason,

Perhaps if you had been more patient and called yet another CSR you could have improved on your deal. I suspect they still had more to offer, but now we will never know.

Dave
post #207 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblair View Post

I called customer retention to order an HR20. They told me it wasn't available in my area, and that it costs $299. After some haggling, I was able to get the unit for free, plus a free meal at Ruth's Chris one night a week for 2 straight years, the Titanium package for free for life, and a 125% of appraised value mortgage on my home for %2.75 APR with no fees or points.

BEAT THAT!

You should have held out for the steak knives!
post #208 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Taz291819:

Sorry for the confusion....I meant to say that the Program Guide on the HR20 is faster than the one on the H20 - D*s MPEG 4 compatible receiver (no DVR). With the H20 I gave up on the slow Program Guide and used the single-line quick guide to find programs. The HR20 improves upon this greatly.

After a second night using this new DVR, I can only report positive results with what I have watched and recorded. I set up "Reno 911" to record as a Series Link recording and it did it. We watched the Emmy's "live" at 8:00 PM PDT, gave up at 9:30, hit the record button and it started recording it - from 8:00 PM! We then watched the recording of "Reno 911" I scheduled earlier. We will watch the second half of the Emmy's tonight. I have also set up Series Links for "The Dog Whisperer" - found about 8 episodes - and scheduled them, "Vanished" and "Stargate Atlantis" but this series may be ending/over soon? So far, so good.

For someone who has never had a DVR before, I find the interface rather easy to use. I haven't had a single recording, audio, or video issue with the HR20 since installation. But I'm not recording off any of the local MPEG 4 stations (at least not yet) and that is where some of the issues crop up that others have described on another board.

I plan on giving a more definitive "first-users" report to the Forum later on after I have had a few more days using the machine. So far, it's been a lot of fun, and I can see how this thing is going to change how we watch T.V. forever.
post #209 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should have held out for the steak knives!

Not sure about the steak or the knives. I prefer Tex-Mex anyway. All I wanted was a free HD DVR in the DFW area for the start of football season.

I just called CR to get the "HR10-250 free deal". I told them that I was tired of waiting for the HR20 MPEG4 DVR. They gave me the free deal immediately and set an "install" date of September 8th. They mentioned that the HR20 might be available for the DFW area by then and if it is the DVR I get will be the HR20 instead instead of the HR10-250. The point is that for ST and SF subscribers you can get either the HR10-250 or the HR20 free. You just have to be nice and negotiate a little.

bill
post #210 of 4542 Old 08-28-2006, 04:58 PM

Anyone noticing better picture quality in HD and SD with the 5LNB over the 3LNB using the new boxes, the 20s?
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page