E* ordered to shut down DVR's within 30 days - BLOCKED by Federal Appeals Court - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv
No. A digital VCR that recorded a show for play back at a later time would not infringe.

However, a DVR that can play back an existing recording from the beginning, with trickplay features, while recording something else -- all while using a single processor to do it -- does infringe. IIRC, playing back a recording in progress from the beginning, with trickplay features, before the recording was complete, would also infringe. This was among the patents upheld.

There was more than one patent involved, but it's my understanding that Dish Network could revert to functionality more comparable to a digital VCR -- just recording content to play back after it was done -- to avoid infringement. Of course, then Dish Network's DVRs would not be competitive with those of DirecTV and Comcast, both of whom have struck deals with Tivo.
This is a great example of what is wrong with our patent system in America today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Charlie also loses at every step of the way. Look at the pathetic record: LIL, DNS, DirecTV, and TiVo.

How he lost DirecTV is textbook little guy without any regard to the law, few resources and/or good advice getting smashed by his (rightfully) enraged opponents.

He has openly flaunted the DNS law for a decade and is about to have to pay the price. All he can do now, in that case and in the TiVo one, apparently, is try to negotiate that price downward.

I always fail to understand how he can have such an image as a pioneer and a litrle guy when in fact he is -- according to at least two courts this year alone -- simply a thief.

And a big-time, multi-billion-dollar thief at that.
Well you can trace his roots back to being a gambler, and he hit the jackpot with E*. My guess is the wild side of him and the huge success let to those misjudgements.

He can easily get out of the pits by doing what everyone else is doing. Of course the end result will be more cost passed on to the consumers, and E* being the low cost provider, if no longer so, there will be nothing to hold other providers from raising prices. In that sense none of us should be jumping for joy.

Or he can still revert the DVRs back to more of a digital VCR function, while not as robust as Tivo, if priced much less, will be just fine. I can certainly wait for the recording to complete to watch it, if I don't have to pay the $6/mo. recording fee. The fact that some of E*'s earlier DVRs did not have monthly fee tells me it can be done.
post #93 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Maybe E* and D* should merge now. Maybe Tivo will drop their demands a little bit. :)

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #94 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv
Dish Network can override any setting you have on the box.
So that comes back to the second part of my comment. Since I own the box, and I'm not paying them a monthly fee for the DVR, then they aren't offering me a continuing service that they can discontinue. So how can they legally reach into my home and take something of mine? I don't believe this has ever been done on any other product, when the end user was in no way violating the law or any contract.

Xesdeeni
post #95 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni
So that comes back to the second part of my comment. Since I own the box, and I'm not paying them a monthly fee for the DVR, then they aren't offering me a continuing service that they can discontinue. So how can they legally reach into my home and take something of mine? I don't believe this has ever been done on any other product, when the end user was in no way violating the law or any contract.

Xesdeeni
If you are not connected to the dish, they can not download new software, but then your DVR will not function either. Your DVR must have a lock to the satellite signal to even begin to work.
post #96 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni

Xesdeeni
Theres the rub: the contract. I'd bet there is some clause the contract that says they have the right to alter or even discountinue part or all of your service at any time. The service and the software both belong to them.

It's no different than the agreement you have with any software company. You are merely buying a license to use the product. You don't own it and the company that does can alter it, disable it, or even demand its return. You may own the box, but you don't own the contents.
post #97 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV
Theres the rub: the contract. I'd bet there is some clause the contract that says they have the right to alter or even discountinue part or all of your service at any time. The service and the software both belong to them.

It's no different than the agreement you have with any software company. You are merely buying a license to use the product. You don't own it and the company that does can alter it, disable it, or even demand its return. You may own the box, but you don't own the contents.
Maybe some of our more clever members will start posting a few 'hacks' in the hardware forums.... :D

...I still want to get the ethernet port enabled on my ViP622.... ;)
post #98 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast
Maybe E* and D* should merge now. Maybe Tivo will drop their demands a little bit. :)
Honestly, this is one of the first things that came to mind when I read this story earlier today. Dish Network can talk about the financial troubles they've been having from the TiVo trial, and the issues with DNS... and the loss and potential loss of customers... as a possible fatal blow to their business which can only be saved by the merging of Dish Network and DirecTV.

~Alan

DirecTV SUBSCRIBER since 1995!
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
post #99 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon
Honestly, this is one of the first things that came to mind when I read this story earlier today. Dish Network can talk about the financial troubles they've been having from the TiVo trial, and the issues with DNS... and the loss and potential loss of customers... as a possible fatal blow to their business which can only be saved by the merging of Dish Network and DirecTV.

~Alan
Does Charlie really want to be bought out, though? It's possible he might go for it in return for a seat on the board, though. Look at Steve Jobs and Disney buying out Pixar...
post #100 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Charlie also loses at every step of the way. Look at the pathetic record: LIL, DNS, DirecTV, and TiVo.

How he lost DirecTV is textbook little guy without any regard to the law, few resources and/or good advice getting smashed by his (rightfully) enraged opponents.

He has openly flaunted the DNS law for a decade and is about to have to pay the price. All he can do now, in that case and in the TiVo one, apparently, is try to negotiate that price downward.

I always fail to understand how he can have such an image as a pioneer and a litrle guy when in fact he is -- according to at least two courts this year alone -- simply a thief.

And a big-time, multi-billion-dollar thief at that.
That is the most ridiculous bunch of ranting I've seen in quite a while...if you consider Ergen this way I suppose you feel the same way about Cuban and others who challenge the obsurdity of FCC mandates or for that matter anything that might give viewers a choice. Joe McCarthy is cheering you from the grave.
post #101 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, There is a big differece between an HDTV recorder (D-VHS?) and a DVR.
Back to Tivo and Echostar...
First the patent infringement has nothing to do with HDTV at all, but the use of Tivo's patented "Multimedia time warping system" as described in these two pages:
www.taletyano.com
www.freepatentsonline.com
Quote:
A multimedia time warping system. The invention allows the user to store selected television broadcast programs while the user is simultaneously watching or reviewing another program. A preferred embodiment of the invention accepts television (TV) input streams in a multitude of forms, for example, National Television Standards Committee (NTSC) or PAL broadcast, and digital forms such as Digital Satellite System (DSS), Digital Broadcast Services (DBS), or Advanced Television Standards Committee (ATSC). The TV streams are converted to an Moving Pictures Experts Group (MPEG) formatted stream for internal transfer and manipulation and are parsed and separated it into video and audio components. The components are stored in temporary buffers. Events are recorded that indicate the type of component that has been found, where it is located, and when it occurred. The program logic is notified that an event has occurred and the data is extracted from the buffers. The parser and event buffer decouple the CPU from having to parse the MPEG stream and from the real time nature of the data streams which allows for slower CPU and bus speeds and translate to lower system costs. The video and audio components are stored on a storage device and when the program is requested for display, the video and audio components are extracted from the storage device and reassembled into an MPEG stream which is sent to a decoder. The decoder converts the MPEG stream into TV output signals and delivers the TV output signals to a TV receiver. User control commands are accepted and sent through the system. These commands affect the flow of said MPEG stream and allow the user to view stored programs with at least the following functions: reverse, fast forward, play, pause, index, fast/slow reverse play, and fast/slow play.
Other DVR makers have been utilizing a different approach and only being able to use a single tuner on a single stream (dual tuners utilize this twice) that directly access that same stream that is being recorded, and not buffered. This is one of the sticking points many SA users have complained about - when trying to view a current recording, it brings you in at the live point in the same stream and summarailly ends as the recording does and kicks you to live viewing. Recent developments in DVR technlogy have enabled SA to start at the beginning of that same stream without infringing on this specific Tivo patent.
Motorola has a similar approach to SA and is working on it's own variations.
DirecTV tried to implement their own approach, but long after the patents were given and have used similar technology to Tivo, that could be envisioned as a patent infringement. Rather than going through a court battle and possibly losing, like Echostar has, DirecTV made an agreement with Tivo that puts them in a situation where they will not get sued over patent rights.

Make no mistake, Echostar did lose the lawsuit many months ago. What they have been doing is trying to delay the proceedings as long as possible. What Tivo just did was to bring that fact back up to the courts and get a 30 day ruling to get things moving. Echostar was able to get a "TEMPORARY BLOCK ON THE INJUNCTION" to buy some time and to keep selling equipment. This does not mean they won any court battle, just delayed the injunction.

vegggas
post #102 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2
As much a possible, these rulings will potentially affect everyone using "HDTV RECORDERS", except Rupert's DTV boxes of cource.

:rolleyes:

It may affect everyone in more ways than what you think.

The DVR is the most hated technology since the old Napster and many wound like to see it destroyed because it is upsetting their economic model and forcing them to change it. They would like to do to the DVR what they did to Napster, control it.
They already have too much control over what we see and how we see it as it is.

TiVo on more than one occasion showed a willingness to sell their customers out to the demands of these dinosaurs.

Talk about sellouts, Rupert who is not even an american (i don't care what legal papers his money buys him) & Company lie to their costumers to the point they have to create a small revolt to force Rupert & Company to do what they said they were going to do in the first place.

I say if E is going to be a loser in this, so will the consumer. It will be easier for these dinosaurs to get more control if they only have to deal with a few well know sell outs.

The stars are lining up against us, not for us.
post #103 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy44
That is the most ridiculous bunch of ranting I've seen in quite a while...if you consider Ergen this way I suppose you feel the same way about Cuban and others who challenge the obsurdity of FCC mandates or for that matter anything that might give viewers a choice. Joe McCarthy is cheering you from the grave.
Challenging the rules is one thing, breaking them is something else entirely.
post #104 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
fredfa was right, Charlie ignored the law, and he is faced with consequences. FCC mandates (specific to distant nets) are not something cooked up by the politicians bought out by the NAB, despite some of your beliefs, and it is not a matter of choice, it was a copy right issue. You can not choose a product if the rightful owner of such product does not want to sell to you--that is the bottomline. It has nothing to do with gonverment control. If the Congress change the law to allow you the access to distant signals without your local stations' consent, the new law will be thrown out by the court in an instant, so stop the rant already and go read the Constutution if you have spare time.

I am sick of people knowing little about the history of the DNS and come here complain about lack of choice, I also blame Charlie for the misconception he has been spreading. He lost that one so give up already.

That said, Charlie is in no worse condition with regard to the Tivo and DVR issue, and E* with robust new sub gains (more so than D* in the last quarter as I recall), it is laughable that he needs to seek way out.

But as a gambler, you never know that Charlie will do next, that I admit.
post #105 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posg
Challenging the rules is one thing, breaking them is something else entirely.
That is for the courts, shareholders, and subscribers to decide....accusations and grandstanding don't cut it in my book.
post #106 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The courts already decided.
post #107 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
And have you seen the latest, No more additional HD-LiL this year from E*
post #108 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung
fredfa was right, Charlie ignored the law, and he is faced with consequences. FCC mandates (specific to distant nets) are not something cooked up by the politicians bought out by the NAB, despite some of your beliefs, and it is not a matter of choice, it was a copy right issue. You can not choose a product if the rightful owner of such product does not want to sell to you--that is the bottomline. It has nothing to do with gonverment control. If the Congress change the law to allow you the access to distant signals without your local stations' consent, the new law will be thrown out by the court in an instant, so stop the rant already and go read the Constutution if you have spare time.

I am sick of people knowing little about the history of the DNS and come here complain about lack of choice, I also blame Charlie for the misconception he has been spreading. He lost that one so give up already.

That said, Charlie is in no worse condition with regard to the Tivo and DVR issue, and E* with robust new sub gains (more so than D* in the last quarter as I recall), it is laughable that he needs to seek way out.

But as a gambler, you never know that Charlie will do next, that I admit.
Now we're quoting the Constitution and granted we sure are exercising freedom of speech here, but I question the intrepretation of the "freedom of the airwaves" that says government can control what I am willing to pay for. On the copyright issue I again retort that is to be decided by the Courts and or settlement. Sometimes we need to learn to mistrust the obvious and see what "leverage" this gambler as you refer to Ergen gains or loses in the outcome.
post #109 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker
And have you seen the latest, No more HD-LiL this year for E*
Finally some good news...more room for HD Nationals that I might or might not be able to record. :)

-V
post #110 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That is for the courts, shareholders, and subscribers to decide....accusations and grandstanding don't cut it in my book.
The first group seems to have done so on several counts - the others will undoubtably consider the descisions of the first group before making their own.
post #111 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3
It may be more than what you think.

The DVR is the most hated technology and many wound like to see it destoried
Not by the copyright holders. They love DVR's. What they hate is user recordable removable media. A DVR can be managed by the content owner. Limits can be placed on archives.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #112 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now we're quoting the Constitution and granted we sure are exercising freedom of speech here, but I question the intrepretation of the "freedom of the airwaves" that says government can control what I am willing to pay for. On the copyright issue I again retort that is to be decided by the Courts and or settlement. Sometimes we need to learn to mistrust the obvious and see what "leverage" this gambler as you refer to Ergen gains or loses in the outcome.
Again the government is not in control of what you are willing to pay for, the content owners are, and they said I don't want to sell you even if you want to pay for it, and there is nothing your government can do about it because guess what, this is not China.
post #113 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast
I hoped that issue had finally been decided by the FCC.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #114 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
The courts already decided.
Not really. There can be several levels in the Federal appellate court and finally the Supreme Court. Could take years.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #115 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Freedom of the airwaves". Now which amendment was that ???? :confused:
post #116 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie
A DVR can be managed by the content owner. Limits can be placed on archives.
Tell me how? This hasn't happened yet, has it?

Dave Hancock
post #117 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont understand Tivos Patent.

How can you patent recording video to a hard drive? Tivo did not invent this, they did not invent hard drives, nor video. They simply decided to make a product using this technology. ********.

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #118 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo
Not really. There can be several levels in the Federal appellate court and finally the Supreme Court. Could take years.
Any decision, no matter how old, can be overturned. At this point in time - the courts have decided.
post #119 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie
Not by the copyright holders. They love DVR's. What they hate is user recordable removable media. A DVR can be managed by the content owner. Limits can be placed on archives.
Please, the only technology copyright holders love is pay-per-view.
post #120 of 267 Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure f this is exactly what Glimmie means, but content providers can put flags into any digital content.
There are flags that will not allow you to record or buffer at all. So it's only available lilve - My Music choice channels are set this way.
Flags that will not allow long term storage, or delete after XX days. As reported a few times by Tivo users and rumored by a few cable users where storage has been flagged to be deleted within 24 hours.
Flags that will allow playback of a recording, but disable Fast forward and/or pauses, etc. ABC and ESPN are experimenting with this so that users can's fast forward through commercials. They can rewind to see content again, but not fast forward or pause the program.

vegggas
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page