post #5041 of 6260 Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

...I didnt get the new software. I did get a function update about downloading video though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

....I did get a message indicating that there's now access to rentals from Walt Disney Studios on CinemaNow and to videos at Jaman.com.....

Same here.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 6260 Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same here as well.
post #5043 of 6260 Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post

well I gave up on the tivohd flicker issue but do believe tivo will fix it. I had TivoJerry doing some logging of the issue on the last tivohd I had for further investigation.

I'm spending the holiday week at my parents' home, and they have a TiVO HD. I'm seeing the same thing on some of their analog cable channels. They haven't noticed it, but it drives me crazy...

They also get a many multi-second drop outs of the audio and/or extreme pixilation once every 3 or 4 minutes on many of the HD channels, which they DO notice and they prefer to record shows on the analog cable channels rather than the HD equivalents. Can't say I blame them - it's beyond annoying to lose three or four seconds of audio every now and then.

I feel bad for getting the TiVO HD as a gift for them last Christmas. It seems like it has a lot more issues than I ever had with my Series 3.

Just FYI they're running with one Motorola MediaCipher M-Card, and their provider is Baja Broadband in St. George, UT.
post #5044 of 6260 Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

I'm spending the holiday week at my parents' home, and they have a TiVO HD. I'm seeing the same thing on some of their analog cable channels. They haven't noticed it, but it drives me crazy...

They also get a many multi-second drop outs of the audio and/or extreme pixilation once every 3 or 4 minutes on many of the HD channels, which they DO notice and they prefer to record shows on the analog cable channels rather than the HD equivalents. Can't say I blame them - it's beyond annoying to lose three or four seconds of audio every now and then.

I feel bad for getting the TiVO HD as a gift for them last Christmas. It seems like it has a lot more issues than I ever had with my Series 3.

Just FYI they're running with one Motorola MediaCipher M-Card, and their provider is Baja Broadband in St. George, UT.

Could it just be a signal issue?
post #5045 of 6260 Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 PM

The signal reads 100 on the TiVO's signal strength meter for all the digital/HD channels.
post #5046 of 6260 Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The signal reads 100 on the TiVO's signal strength meter for all the digital/HD channels.

Based on what you are reporting, it sounds like your signal strength is too strong. The TiVo responds to a "hot" (too strong) signal with pixelization and dropouts.

Grab them an attenuator to reduce your signal strength. A -3dB or -6dB should do the trick.
post #5047 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've said this many times, the best way to make sure you're getting a correct signal is have them come out and check your connections all the way out to the box. They will do this at no charge.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #5048 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 AM

I'm not so sure they're willing to do it at no charge, everywhere, anymore. In many areas, if they don't find anything wrong with their own wiring, then you'll pay for a truck roll.
post #5049 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I'm not so sure they're willing to do it at no charge, everywhere, anymore. In many areas, if they don't find anything wrong with their own wiring, then you'll pay for a truck roll.

What? That's just crazy. The main selling point of cable is they will give free service except for an install.

You mean to say that if you are having picture problems and you call the cable company some would charge you for that? I wouldn't call and say "hey, come out and check my signal strength" I'd complain about the picture. When they got there I would have them check all connections.

Now a satellite company I would understand. Not cable.

post #5050 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

What? That's just crazy. The main selling point of cable is they will give free service except for an install.

The main selling point of cable is that they provide television entertainment.

Quote:

You mean to say that if you are having picture problems and you call the cable company some would charge you for that?

Yes, and indeed they should, if the fault for your problems is your own equipment or your own wiring.

Quote:

Now a satellite company I would understand. Not cable.

Then, with respect, your expectations are unreasonable.
post #5051 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The main selling point of cable is that they provide television entertainment.

Yes, and indeed they should, if the fault for your problems is your own equipment or your own wiring.

Then, with respect, your expectations are unreasonable.

Well with respect as well I do disagree with you. I've been able to get them to do many things in regards to problems with my TiVo and at no time did TW ever charge me. Matter of fact when I complained about them putting the block on digital channels for transfer they threw a 20.00 credit to me, but no I couldn't get them to change.

I do agree with you on the part of equipment. Wiring, I disagree since they were the one's to install it in the first place.

But it's OK we can't agree on everything. And I don't deny you're understanding of the way cable companies think, you've always been clear and concise on that.

post #5052 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 461
In the communities where I've lived in the past decade or so, the cable companies have long since divorced themselves from interior wiring maintenance, just like the telephone companies (though I think that some may offer it for an extra monthly charge). If they can prove that the cable works as it enters your home, they're off the hook.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5053 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

If they can prove that the cable works as it enters your home, they're off the hook.

I was having problems getting all the HD channels that Comcast provides in our area.

Our setup had a splitter where the Comcast cable reaches the house. From that point a newer wire went to our router for the Internet, and a very old wire went to our TV. The old wire was bad, so I suggested that the tech move the splitter into the computer room where he could split the TV signal through a wall to the TV. That way he or we wouldn't have to drag a new cable under the house.

Outside the house he replace the splitter with a splice to our computer cable, inside he added a new splitter, and fabricated two patch cables to connect to the router and to the TV. Then he tested the new connections.

A $20 charge was added to our next bill. Since the problem was our interior TV cable, Comcast could have charged a lot more for that whole repair. I'm not sure why the charge was only $20, and I'm not asking.
post #5054 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the communities where I've lived in the past decade or so, the cable companies have long since divorced themselves from interior wiring maintenance, just like the telephone companies (though I think that some may offer it for an extra monthly charge). If they can prove that the cable works as it enters your home, they're off the hook.

When I say I disagree, that doesn't make it so. I know bicker1 is right about the charging for inside wiring I just don't think it's fair. Just like the phone company.

Unlike the phone company they do not offer a cheap inside wire charge. They should at least offer that.

post #5055 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Cox OKC charges for interior wiring work unless you have its insurance plan, which costs about $5 a month. I pay for the insurance because I have an extensive coax network, which I had installed in the '80s when I got a C-Band dish. When the tuner for the dish died and I got cable, I had it connected to the old dish network. For obvious reasons, the interior wiring insurance has turned out to be money well spent.
post #5056 of 6260 Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks, I will have them try the attenuator first and if that doesn't work maybe get the cable company involved. It was a real hassle (and many trips) to get the cable card working in the first place, so we want to avoid getting them involved if possible!
post #5057 of 6260 Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:

I've been able to get them to do many things in regards to problems with my TiVo and at no time did TW ever charge me.

You must be a good whiner. Regardless, that gravy train is likely to be taken off the trail, if it isn't already.

Quote:

I do agree with you on the part of equipment. Wiring, I disagree since they were the one's to install it in the first place.

Doesn't matter. Their work comes with a limited warranty (a number of days, not weeks), and then it is your problem, unless you pay them a few dollars a month for wire coverage. I know you're having trouble believing what I'm writing, but if nothing else convinces you that should: They charge a monthly fee for providing service to your inside wiring, so clearly repairs related to problems with your inside wiring are your responsibility (unless you pay that fee).

Quote:

But it's OK we can't agree on everything. And I don't deny you're understanding of the way cable companies think, you've always been clear and concise on that.

True, but I think you are in for a rude awakening. All over the economy, consumers are driving suppliers towards unbundling of pricing -- lower base prices, and then fees for add-ons. That has happened in cable television, and it will almost surely bite you in the butt if you leave yourself unprepared for its inevitable impact on you.
post #5058 of 6260 Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must be a good whiner. Regardless, that gravy train is likely to be taken off the trail, if it isn't already.

In my area if I even think there might be an issue I send an email out to the President of TW, NEO. Case and point: When I got my TiVo HD I had 3 weeks to wait for an install and a short window on a Saturday. I fired off an email about customer service and I now have the cell number of the manager of their service department direct. He called me within hours of that email and not only did they come out two days later in the evening after I got off work, they did the install at no charge.

I also have a direct number to a woman in headend who has cheerfully taken care of cable card issues for me. Excellent person, and all in all I get great customer service.

Quote:

True, but I think you are in for a rude awakening. All over the economy, consumers are driving suppliers towards unbundling of pricing -- lower base prices, and then fees for add-ons. That has happened in cable television, and it will almost surely bite you in the butt if you leave yourself unprepared for its inevitable impact on you.

I don't quite understand what you mean by that. If anything wouldn't the idea be to offer better value during a bad economy? If you look around there are bargains everywhere right now and even gas is under 2.00, at least in my area.

post #5059 of 6260 Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I often talk about how smart I think I am and how stupid I can be. The following is an example.

Last night I pushed a panic button. I thought I was already running out of room on my Mac, it has a 1tb hard drive and I looked in the corner and it said I had 69gb left!

So I deleted some unnecessary programs and in my shock it seemed to make things worst! Now it said I had 29 gb! I thought, OK, I'll shoot some stuff up to my TiVo HD.

I came back down and this time actually did a right click on the Mac HD in the upper corner where I could see get info (like properties) and I found out that I actually had close to 600gb available! it read 931.19 GB.....26 free on the mac icon in the corner. Now when you look real close you can see the last dot is a little larger.

So I ran upstairs and stopped all transfers. I had 3 set at that time. One of the transfers however stayed on my to do list although I had tried several times to remove it so the blue light was stuck and nothing was being transferred.

I've had this happen once or twice before and a reboot fixes it. Not this time. Because the info was still in the two do list even after a reboot I had to do a clean up of my to do list and my SP's. The TiVo HD did warn me I would have to do a call in and it would take about an hour.

It took about an hour and a half and as soon as I pushed the TiVo button I got the message saying to place the call. I did, via wireless and then went to TiVo central.

Now at this point TiVo felt the need to show me the start up film or cartoon, whatever and I watched just because I like to watch it and then I went downstairs. Half an hour later I came back and it seems the connection was interrupted.

So I checked in again and watched it go to the download, and then install. This went at a snails pace it took over two hours before it was completed. Now that is the machine, not my wireless because the download wasn't that long it was on install mode.

After it did a successful install I pushed the TiVo button only to see the same message. No data. WTF? I push the guide button and I can see the guide. It's all there for the next several days at least. I use the guide to recreate my season passes and I double check and they seem to have no shows available. Also it seems it did not remove my Season Passes like it was suppose to when you use this reboot. So I had double Season Passes with nothing in them.

About this time I'm thinking "run the guide set up again" but TiVo is saying different and I'm going with TiVo and the fact that the SP's were not removed.

So I do the reboot and delete to do list again. This time it takes about 45 minutes. And it removes the SP's. And there is the message to phone in.

By now it is 11:00 and I started this around 4:00 in the afternoon. I ate another thanksgiving dinner and my wife decided to have one too. I tell it (the TiVo, not my wife) to connect to the TiVo service and about 90 minutes later it has completed the install. And there is that message again!!!! "TiVo has run out of guide information. Please do a call in to obtain .........."

Well, I'm not hungry and I don't have to work so I do a google. There it is, same problem and they ran guided setup. Which I thought about doing but did not try.

I ran guided set up and got the message I wanted, "Tivo has about a days worth of programming....."

I set up the season passes and lights out at 1:45 am.

There is two points to this long post: 1. If this happens to you, now you know what to do. 2. Why doesn't TiVo tell you that you need to run guided set up not just a call in?

It also shows that once again instead of thinking things out I reacted first. Had I clicked on the mac icon none of this would have happened.

One more thing: You know on your downloaded shows where you can click on "other" and it can let you see up coming episodes. Well that apparently gets wiped as well so even though your shows are there they have no idea about what is upcoming.

On the bright side I did get to watch about 5 recorded shows on my S3 while this was going on. Cleaned up a little bit of space there.

Enjoy the holiday!

post #5060 of 6260 Old 11-28-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My year and half old S3 has failed: slow to react, freezing-up, loss of audio, etc. It took about a week of downhill action before I called TiVo. We went through all the usual troubleshooting without any luck. The decision was made to swap it at a cost of about $150. So now I will be without any DVR for about two weeks since the current procedure is to ship mine to TiVo before they will ship my replacement out to me. Bummer.
post #5061 of 6260 Old 11-29-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:

In my area if I even think there might be an issue I send an email out to the President of TW, NEO. Case and point: When I got my TiVo HD I had 3 weeks to wait for an install and a short window on a Saturday. I fired off an email about customer service and I now have the cell number of the manager of their service department direct.

Yup! You're a whiner! And I'm sure they treat you as they do because they (perhaps rightfully) figure that it is less trouble keeping you quiet than not. And if they had to treat everyone like that, they'd be losing money big-time. Yes, expecting what you expect, with these price-points, is unreasonable.

Quote:

I don't quite understand what you mean by that. If anything wouldn't the idea be to offer better value during a bad economy?

No. Even with you, you're not choosing a supplier based on quality of service; you're choosing a supplier based on who you can most effectively brow-beat. Customers, in general, though, don't do either. They follow the path of least resistance, and therefore that manner will dictate how mass-market service providers operate.

Quote:

If you look around there are bargains everywhere right now and even gas is under 2.00, at least in my area.

Products and services will always differ in fundamental ways.
post #5062 of 6260 Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

My year and half old S3 has failed: slow to react, freezing-up, loss of audio, etc. It took about a week of downhill action before I called TiVo. We went through all the usual troubleshooting without any luck. The decision was made to swap it at a cost of about $150. So now I will be without any DVR for about two weeks since the current procedure is to ship mine to TiVo before they will ship my replacement out to me. Bummer.

I assume there was no warranty remaining, right?

So if my S3 was to die, I could get a replacement for $150? That's not a bad deal...

They are giving you an S3, not a Tivo HD, right (but probably a refurb)?
post #5063 of 6260 Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup! You're a whiner! And I'm sure they treat you as they do because they (perhaps rightfully) figure that it is less trouble keeping you quiet than not. And if they had to treat everyone like that, they'd be losing money big-time. Yes, expecting what you expect, with these price-points, is unreasonable.

I consider that a compliment.

I don't believe my expectations are unreasonable at all, and yes you are correct when I think I am right I will whine until I get my way.

Sometimes I don't. Obviously my expectations of them changing the way they copy protect digital channels was unreasonalble to them, but I still think it's unfair.

And as a result of their actions I do consider that I get excellent customer service. Yes, better then most but it's what I expect. And being a customer service representative if you get hold of me you will be treated as I feel I should be treated. If that means bending the rules and helping you out, so be it.

And that is the type of attitude that my company likes. Time Warner should have the same commitment. IMHO their regular reps are horrible, undertrained, probably under paid. And that is TW's fault. This is how they lose customers to satellite.

post #5064 of 6260 Old 11-30-2008, 04:35 AM

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the reasonable-ness of your expectations. I don't see how you can consider your expectations reasonable when you weren't promised what you expected, and that you admittedly expect a level of service you acknowledge that not everyone is granted.

Regardless, my point was that you're in for a rude awakening if they ever go to a more hands-length service scenario (which is very likely, these days) -- at that point, you'd get the, "I'm sorry there is no code in the system for that. Would you like to cancel your subscription?" reply, and that'll be it. Just remember, if it happens, I warned you.
post #5065 of 6260 Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the reasonable-ness of your expectations. I don't see how you can consider your expectations reasonable when you weren't promised what you expected, and that you admittedly expect a level of service you acknowledge that not everyone is granted.

Regardless, my point was that you're in for a rude awakening if they ever go to a more hands-length service scenario (which is very likely, these days) -- at that point, you'd get the, "I'm sorry there is no code in the system for that. Would you like to cancel your subscription?" reply, and that'll be it. Just remember, if it happens, I warned you.

I agree to disagree. But let me make this point: The only reason I get the type of service I do, and everyone should, is I know how customer service works and I know how to go about getting what I want. Actually Readers Digest a couple of months ago gave several tips that I already knew and some I didn't, for example, if you're in a long waiting que and they ask in the beginning if you would like to speak to a Spanish speaking representative you can get quicker service that way.

You are still the customer and you are correct ultimately it is up to you whether or not you want to discontinue service. In my case I have no other alternative and probably won't. FIOS will never come into our area and U-Verse is only in AT&T territories and I'm not in one of them. I'm not capable of receiving a satellite signal but they don't know that.

As part of it's mission Time Warner Cable Northeast Ohio has put Customer Service as a high priority. It seems to me that depending upon what area you live in around here that there are different levels of service. When I was being serviced out of the Macedonia office when I first got my S3 I sent a simple email saying I had heard horror stories about cable card install. I just voiced a concern. Somehow that email got to the manager's office and he called me to inform me that he and his lead tech were going to come out to do the install. When he came he had printed out the instructions off the web in advance and they did the install. Took about 40 minutes. He gave me his number and said call me if you have any issues.

A couple of months later I was moved out of his territory to the Concorde office. I didn't know this and I called him and he said sorry and explained. He also explained to me at that time that all the different service areas all came from small companies at what time so when it was Adelphia they were pretty much left alone to do business as usual. He warned me that I may not get the same kind of service out of the Concorde office.

He was correct. I had one bad experience with a tech who did a truck roll and I refused to sign the papers because he blamed the problem on TiVo. It wasn't TiVo's problem it was the cable company.

I thought back to what the other manager had told me about this super sharp person in headend and I remembered her first name. It took a few calls but finally I was able to get transferred to headend. I used the directory and found one woman with that name. That was how I got my contact. And I was right, the problem was with a coding in the signal that was incorrect for the cable cards and she fixed it.

So the next time I needed service was when I got my TiVo HD. Since I had a bad experience with the tech the first time and couldn't get my install for 3 weeks that's when I emailed TW NEO President.

You call it whining. I call it being assertive and taking action to receive the type of service not only I, but all TW NEO customers should get. And in my local thread the address of stevefry@twcable.com is very well known and used by others who have all had success resolving there issues.

I don't really understand why you believe customer service should be less and not more but then again I frequently don't agree with many of the things you say. I do think you present logical arguments and often you are right. Your argument here is logical to a point but I find it real hard to believe it will come down to "if you want to cancel......".

Now if you chose you may have a reply. I've said what I want to say on it and I'm done. I really wanted to just make a point that everyone is entitled to this type of service, not just me, and it's only because of the reasons I stated which is poor training, low paying, and probably a huge turnover in customer service that people cannot get this type of service right away. Every once in a while I will find a rep that has been there a long time and does understand how to do it. Not often. And every once in a while I will find a rep who will actually try to get further information and come back and say "I'm glad I talked to you I found out something I didn't know."

I never like to bicker with bicker1. I know I'm in for a battle when I do but at least we have learned to be respectful to each other and admit we can't always agree.

post #5066 of 6260 Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:

The only reason I get the type of service I do, and everyone should, is I know how customer service works and I know how to go about getting what I want.

Well, others know how customer service works, and don't use what they know to extract what they want from a system within which providing what they want was not the intention. We have this discussion quite frequently on the Disney Theme Park forums, as a matter of fact, with regard to whether people are "justified" in exploiting generosity and loopholes to extract from the system more than what the system was intended to provide them. In some ways, it is a moral discussion, and perhaps inappropriate for this thread.

Quote:

Actually Readers Digest a couple of months ago gave several tips ...

Yup, and what many of us have noted is that whenever such (arguably underhanded) tactics become common knowledge, that is when companies have to incur more cost (and for companies riding thin margins, such costs are invariably passed along to all customers, the transgressors and those that don't transgress) to preclude such unintended exploitation. I think our list of such changes, with regard to Disney Theme Parks, at least, is up to 40, but I haven't counted recently.

Quote:

You are still the customer and you are correct ultimately it is up to you whether or not you want to discontinue service.

Abso-friggen-lutely, and my point is that, in the mass-market, the customer's defensible options are "accept" and "decline", not "brow-beat the CSR until you get what you want". Again, we can agree to disagree about that.

Quote:

In my case I have no other alternative and probably won't. FIOS will never come into our area and U-Verse is only in AT&T territories and I'm not in one of them.

It should be noted that just because an area isn't worth a service provider's time or money to offer you better service, doesn't justify folks in that area using tactics, such as those described by Readers' Digest, to get what they want, again, because that invariably means they're imposing added costs (associated with getting those "asserters" to, basically, shut up) onto all the other customers. (I often mention this with regard to NH, VT and ME, where the "good" service providers, like Verizon and Comcast, are looking for ways out of those markets, because they're such non-profitable places to offer service.)

Quote:

I don't really understand why you believe customer service should be less and not more

That's not what I believe. I believe that customer service should be what is promised by the service provider and what is accepted by the customer, not what the customer unilaterally imposes on the service provider. If the two sides cannot come to a meeting of the minds, then they shouldn't do business together. The mechanics of that, in the mass-market, is for the customer to decline the service offering.

Quote:

... but at least we have learned to be respectful to each other and admit we can't always agree.

Abso-friggen-lutely!
post #5067 of 6260 Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=407006&page=2

Please see that thread above for more documetation on the problem with the flicker on analog channels. While I gave up on the S3 I would suggest you send TivoJerry the information they will need to see if this is something they can fix with a firmware update.

I'm really sorry your parents are having this issue. Do they have comcast cable by chance?

I can tell you I had not only a good signal but a perfect signal and my tivohd still flickered with comcast analog cable.

But have the cable company maint come out and balance the signal anyway, the Tivohd needs not a good signal, but a perfect signal to reduce pixelation.

This will not fix the flicker on analog channels though but should reduce pixelation a bit.
post #5068 of 6260 Old 12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm considering purchasing a tivo series 3 with lifetime service. there is a microsoft livesearch cashback program apparently in effect that would deduct $200 from the price the vendor is asking. i don't want to discuss prices other than MSRP on here, but could someone who has gone this route (or has tivo series three purchasing knowledge from somewhere other than tivo) please shoot me a PM to help me out? thanks.
post #5069 of 6260 Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post

i'm considering purchasing a tivo series 3 with lifetime service. there is a microsoft livesearch cashback program apparently in effect that would deduct $200 from the price the vendor is asking. i don't want to discuss prices other than MSRP on here, but could someone who has gone this route (or has tivo series three purchasing knowledge from somewhere other than tivo) please shoot me a PM to help me out? thanks.

TiVo sells fee-less HDTV models directly on its web site.

The alternative is to buy the same unit from Costco for $199 and pay the $12.99/mo or $129/mo fee.

I would be hesitant to buy a used box on ebay.
post #5070 of 6260 Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

I just had the same thing happen to my S3. By pulling the cable cards and antenna feed, the box acted "normally" and I was able to transfer all my content to my PC (TiVo Desktop). TiVo offered me an "Expedited" replacement where they charge you the full MSRP of the S3, about $1,100 and then refund all but $150 when they recieve the bad S3 back. This gives you 3-5 days delivery. I went this route yesterday and expect to get my replacement early next week.

It took almost a week to get all the content off and to try all combos to ensure that it was actually the S3 that was bad and not the Cable Cards or the TiVo expander. Lots of re-boots, guided setups, etc. Also, after re-boot, the box would generally work OK for a period of time before the corruption recurred. I eventually ended up with an antenna only non expanded box and still had the problems.

I'm hoping that Verizon will let me re-pair and authorize the Cable Cards over the phone and that I don't have to wait for a tech visit to get it done.
Anyone have experience with this?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page