Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

hope you're right!

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

At 5PM I forced a connection and 20 mins later a new guide was loaded with the correct channel maping - WBBM 2.1 at 12 and WLS 7.1 at 7. Tivo did good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 6262 Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You do not have to touch your season passes. The existing channels will update with the correct frequencies. You may be able to force a connection now under Phone & Network to update that information. If not, the updated information should be delivered with the connection tomorrow.

The channel callsigns are different because you're comparing the Tribune names and the PSIP name from a channel scan. The Tribune name will be updated to reflect the new frequency assignment.

I totally agree. I didn't have to change any of my Season Passes when the cable company changed channels, why should you? Try having the TiVo update now and see if you don't get new guide data.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #5583 of 6262 Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

At 5PM I forced a connection and 20 mins later a new guide was loaded with the correct channel maping - WBBM 2.1 at 12 and WLS 7.1 at 7. Tivo did good.

It's worth noting that the guide will not update instantly after the service connection completes. The TiVo still has to index those changes, which can take anywhere from 15-40 minutes. Once that is complete, the guide will reflect the updated frequency assignments.
post #5584 of 6262 Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

You do not have to touch your season passes. The existing channels will update with the correct frequencies. You may be able to force a connection now under Phone & Network to update that information. If not, the updated information should be delivered with the connection tomorrow.

The channel callsigns are different because you're comparing the Tribune names and the PSIP name from a channel scan. The Tribune name will be updated to reflect the new frequency assignment.

Thank you. I was going to wait and see how a few of my Season Passes acted before doing anything but it's good to know that i won't have to cancel the old ones and create new ones (i have several of em set up for various news programs every day). I was only home for about a half hour today during my lunch hour so i haven't had a chance to play with all this so i'll just leave the Season Passes alone and let the Tivo do it's thing

Thanks again . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5585 of 6262 Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM

The other night I noticed my s3 was recording something called Teleworld Paid Programming on it's own, and not for the first time.

Does anyone know why the system is recording informercials on their own,
and more importantly, how to prevent it?

thanks,

FCD
post #5586 of 6262 Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
"search this thread" is your friend. Found it in 2 seconds typing in the "teleworld".

For whatever it's worth, I too have noticed my S3 recording the same from time to time, whenever I'm up at some ungodly hour.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #5587 of 6262 Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C. Dobbs View Post

The other night I noticed my s3 was recording something called Teleworld Paid Programming on it's own, and not for the first time.

Does anyone know why the system is recording informercials on their own,
and more importantly, how to prevent it?

thanks,

FCD

Happens all the time. It's those commercials TiVo has. They get erased and replaced automatically; you can just ignore them.
post #5588 of 6262 Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
my bedroom Tivo hasn't made a VCN connection since May 27th, and so I can't see any current To Do list or Recordings online on tivo.com

what gives?
post #5589 of 6262 Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

my bedroom Tivo hasn't made a VCM connection since May 27th, and so I can't see any current To Do list or Recordings online on tivo.com

what gives?

Have you tried rebooting?

post #5590 of 6262 Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

going to reboot as soon as a recording is finished. i'll report back.
post #5591 of 6262 Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

rebooted, works now. weird.
post #5592 of 6262 Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Getting lots of audio dropouts on my Series 3 on many channels. Started recently. Time Warner, West Valley of L.A. Anyone know why or how to correct it?

Thanks, CB
post #5593 of 6262 Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post

Getting lots of audio dropouts on my Series 3 on many channels. Started recently. Time Warner, West Valley of L.A. Anyone know why or how to correct it?

Thanks, CB

To the best of my knowledge TiVos don't "develop" sound drop offs. The way I would check is back up to just prior to the problem on a recording. If you still hear a drop off it's probably not your TiVo. So what is it? Since you said it was on many channels have TW come out and check your signal. Don't rely on what your TiVo shows you. Their equipment can find out if you're having an issue. Make sure they check all your connections inside and outside.

post #5594 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

.... Something that's been bugging me for the last year or so.

There are times when I can't make out the dialogue on screen so I'll turn the CC on in order to read what was said and then turn it back off again, toggling the CC on/off this way as needed.

For the first year or so of my Tivo S3 usage, whenever I would turn the CC off, the last line of CC would disappear automatically, as it should. But then at some point, the last line of text began to remain on the screen and it would stay there forever if I didn't bring up any other kind of onscreen display to replace it, or, to hit the clear button each time. The CC has been behaving consistently this way for quite some time. Not the worst problem in the world, but it's annoying and it's clearly a malfunction of some kind.

Since it's been doing this for well over a year, through multiple Tivo software upgrades and a few reboot/restart cycles, none of those things will alleviate the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? Even if it cannot be resolved I would be curious to know what the origin of the problem might be.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #5595 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

For the first year or so of my Tivo S3 usage, whenever I would turn the CC off, the last line of CC would disappear automatically, as it should. But then at some point, the last line of text began to remain on the screen and it would stay there forever if I didn't bring up any other kind of onscreen display to replace it, or, to hit the clear button each time.
[...]
Has anyone else encountered this? Even if it cannot be resolved I would be curious to know what the origin of the problem might be.

Yes, I've noticed that too. If I don't play with the remote to make it leave, it will stay there until the next commercial break.

Doug
post #5596 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I never noticed about it disappearing at the commercial break. I guess I've never been patient enough to wait that long.

Glad to know I'm not the only one, at least.

post #5597 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 515
It's a known bug that's been around for a while. Though you shouldn't have to do it, pressing CLEAR isn't terribly painful.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5598 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Thank God for the CLEAR button. The inability of the S3 to clear the last line of dialog shown on the screen after closed captioning had been turned off has been around for awhile but it's easily rectified by simply pressing CLEAR.
post #5599 of 6262 Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thank God for the CLEAR button. The inability of the S3 to clear the last line of dialog shown on the screen after closed captioning had been turned off has been around for awhile but it's easily rectified by simply pressing CLEAR.

...or press PLAY....that's what I do. But it is certainly irritating.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #5600 of 6262 Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, no big deal to hit clear or play but it DOES become terribly painful for me as I ride the CC on/off train a lot. Partly because I'm obsessive about needing to understand every word spoken and the fact that I tend to keep the sound volume down as much of my viewing is done later on at night.

post #5601 of 6262 Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, no big deal to hit clear or play but it DOES become terribly painful for me as I ride the CC on/off train a lot. Partly because I'm obsessive about needing to understand every word spoken and the fact that I tend to keep the sound volume down as much of my viewing is done later on at night.

I've seen this too. I have macros set up to turn it on and off, and when the last line stays on-screen (it usually does) I just hit the 7-second replay button, and it goes away...lets me see what was on screen during the info screen anyway...
post #5602 of 6262 Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

...or press PLAY....that's what I do. But it is certainly irritating.

I don't like using the PLAY button because, although it does remove the unwanted closed caption, it also brings up the green time ruler. If you press CLEAR you end up with a clear screen.
post #5603 of 6262 Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The Tivo HD has the same bug, I just push play myself. I agree it's a little bit irritating but overall less irritating than the damn ads that appear when pausing programs
post #5604 of 6262 Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM

I might be switching to Directv,
but I'm hesitant to give my my Tivo Interface.

Does anyone know how the direct HD DVR interace compares with
Tivo?

thanks,

FCD
post #5605 of 6262 Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM

The "new" one (in the the HR-2x units) isn't as good, in the estimation of most folks I've chatted with it about. They are working with TiVo on a new DirecTiVo, but no recent word on that.
post #5606 of 6262 Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just got an email from TiVo letting me know that I could download Watchmen in HD from Amazon's video on demand service on my S3 for "only" $4.99. Lots of luck with that. I have a 3 at a time mail order and 5 in store exchanges subscription from Blockbuster that costs only $19.99 a month. I receive about 20 movies a month that way. It seems to me that as long as Amazon, iTunes, and others, continue to charge such extortionate prices for HD movie rentals, they are NEVER going to make significant inroads into the HD movie rental market. For the time being it appears that Blockbuster and Netflix remain the only games in town, at least the only ones that make economic sense.
post #5607 of 6262 Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 515
They're charging you a premium for the convenience. You don't have to go anywhere to get it, you don't have to remember to return anything and you can start a movie or two downloading from your desk at work. The convenience might not be worth it to you, but it is for some, at least ocassionally. ("I really want to see a movie and I'm too lazy right now/don't have the time to go to Blockbuster. Damn! I watched all of my Netflix rentals and forgot to put them in the mail! Guess I'll download or stream something").

At this point I really don't think that the content providers want online rentals to affect disc purchases and rentals much.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5608 of 6262 Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got an email from TiVo letting me know that I could download Watchmen in HD from Amazon's video on demand service on my S3 for "only" $4.99. Lots of luck with that. I have a 3 at a time mail order and 5 in store exchanges subscription from Blockbuster that costs only $19.99 a month. I receive about 20 movies a month that way. It seems to me that as long as Amazon, iTunes, and others, continue to charge such extortionate prices for HD movie rentals, they are NEVER going to make significant inroads into the HD movie rental market. For the time being it appears that Blockbuster and Netflix remain the only games in town, at least the only ones that make economic sense.

Well counselor if I didn't have so much on my TiVo and actually wanted a movie I would pay that extra money just for convenience. And also because it's cooler.

post #5609 of 6262 Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now if it was Watchmen Directors Cut in HD with the 28 missing minutes that would make it worth it.
post #5610 of 6262 Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Well counselor if I didn't have so much on my TiVo and actually wanted a movie I would pay that extra money just for convenience. And also because it's cooler.

Hook -- I hear you. In fact, I bought an Apple TV shortly after Apple started making HD movie downloads available on iTunes. At the time, you could only get HD movies via an Apple TV and nobody else yet had them to stream to any device. Although my Apple TV has been good for a lot of other stuff, I soon tired of paying $4.99 for an HD movie, which I had to watch within 24 hours of starting it or having it deleted from my hard drive. I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page