Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What/where is TCF?

Steve Rothkin

Running SA8300HD (but itching to replace it with Tivo S3) on Cablevision Northern Westchester system.
Sara version (as of Jan 22, 2006): 1.88.15.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothkin View Post

What/where is TCF?

Tivo community forums?
post #33 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, www.tivocommunity.com. Sorry, I should have explained better.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #34 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I got an email from Circuit City this morning saying that my order was ready to ship, but I haven't seen a tracking number email yet...

This might be a good sign that they really do have them in inventory! I might just call my cableco back and re-re-schedule for Friday if they have an opening for a triple cablecard install.

I wasn't able to cancel my TiVo.com order, so I am going to have to refuse delivery (this will be tricky, since I had it shipped to my office).

Oh, believe me, they DO have them in stock. I ordered mine from CC yesterday, and it's on a local FedEx truck today for delivery. Whether I get it today or tomorrow, I'm not sure. Sometimes they sit on the delivery truck all day and don't get delivered until the next day.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #35 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

A recorded program can exist across both the internal and external drives. Someone wrote that removing the external drive would cause such a program to vanish from the recorded programs list.

But might it "re-appear" if you re-connected the drive? I don't know.

post #36 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

But might it "re-appear" if you re-connected the drive? I don't know.

My guess is that would happen only if you did not power up the Tivo while the external drive is disconnected. Powering up would probably cause permanent changes in the file system.

Also, I'm sure the external drive is not meant to be portable in any way. It all has to do with content protection. That's what has delayed activation of the eSATA port.

I'll bet the Tivo hacking community is in for a rude awakening with this HD unit. It may turn out to be like the Sony DVR, where there are protections against replacing/upgrading the internal drive. I don't think anyone has found a way around that yet.

Phil
post #37 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

My guess is that would happen only if you did not power up the Tivo while the external drive is disconnected. Powering up would probably cause permanent changes in the file system.

Also, I'm sure the external drive is not meant to be portable in any way. It all has to do with content protection. That's what has delayed activation of the eSATA port.

I'll bet the Tivo hacking community is in for a rude awakening with this HD unit. It may turn out to be like the Sony DVR, where there are protections against replacing/upgrading the internal drive. I don't think anyone has found a way around that yet.

I was going to buy one of these until I found out that multi-room viewing and other dumb DRM restrictions were put in place. Not because I was going to do anything that content providers wouldn't want, but rather beacuse I want to be able to watch their product in more places.

The content providers and DRM-nuts are incredibly stupid: they need to understand that the more places in which they can distribute the product, the more money they can make. They are the first people in history that are actually paranoid about customers using their stuff.

So stupid. I won't buy ANY new DVR system that does not have multi-room viewing. There is NO GOOD REASON for this feature not to be enabled.

Quietly rooting for the glorious comeback of the MCE2005 UI in the new Vista Media Center.
post #38 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I noticed it only has 32 hours of HD storage and no mention of any ability to add additional hard drives. Plus it says the eSata port is "reserved for future use".

What's the chance of TIVO offering larger internal hard drive sizes in the near future?

Tivo has said the external eSATA port for drive expansion will be enabled in an upcoming software update; in fact, they are apparently showing an updated version of the software with the capability at CEDIA. They are saying that a software upgrade is planned for ~November, which will add some features not available at initial release.
post #39 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #40 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Excuse my ignorance, as I really know nothing about Tivo (other than it has a very zealous following), but how does one go about getting one of these "lifetime" subsciptions? Last thing I want to do is pay a monthly fee for something I already own. I'd rather pay upfront and not worry about future fees and especially monthly-fee increases.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #41 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedster View Post

I was going to buy one of these until I found out that multi-room viewing and other dumb DRM restrictions were put in place. Not because I was going to do anything that content providers wouldn't want, but rather beacuse I want to be able to watch their product in more places.

The content providers and DRM-nuts are incredibly stupid: they need to understand that the more places in which they can distribute the product, the more money they can make. They are the first people in history that are actually paranoid about customers using their stuff.

So stupid. I won't buy ANY new DVR system that does not have multi-room viewing. There is NO GOOD REASON for this feature not to be enabled.

I haven't seen any definite evidence that this may not be enabled in the future. It seems like there are many features which just have not made it out of beta (or maybe alpha), such as the external eSATA expansion. I am guessing this may be one of them. I would suspect the issue may be network traffic generated by pushing an HD program to another box in another room. From my back of the envelope calculations, if a 250GB drive has a capacity of 32 hours for HD programming (ignoring space taken up by the OS and various databases) an HD program will take up about 8GB of space per hour of programming. This means to push the program over the network would require a little over 17.3Mb/s of bandwidth. I would suspect that many people use a WiFi connection for their network connectivity, many of which would be 802.11b, which under optimal conditions is 11Mb/s. Even if you went with Ethernet, their networks may only be 10Mb/s (10base-T). They would not get consistent results streaming a program over the network unless TiVo employed some sort of compression, which may compromise quality (which may compromise THX certification). Hopefully TiVo can come up with some way to enable this, at least for those who have 100base-T or 802.11g (I'm coming from Series1, so I am not sure which standard the TiVo WiFi connector uses) employed for their network. Of course, this would still put a noticeable amount of traffic on the network and imagine if you had a second or third stream happening at the same time. Anyway, just my two cents.
post #42 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Last thing I want to do is pay a monthly fee for something I already own. I'd rather pay upfront and not worry about future fees and especially monthly-fee increases.

That would be nice BUT it wouldn't be worth that much if down the road TIVO went belly up and the program guides got discontinued as a result. As much as I like to save money, I can live with a periodic recurring fee if it serves to ensure the continued upkeep of the program guides.

Steve Rothkin

Running SA8300HD (but itching to replace it with Tivo S3) on Cablevision Northern Westchester system.
Sara version (as of Jan 22, 2006): 1.88.15.3.
post #43 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen any definite evidence that this may not be enabled in the future. It seems like there are many features which just have not made it out of beta (or maybe alpha), such as the external eSATA expansion. I am guessing this may be one of them. I would suspect the issue may be network traffic generated by pushing an HD program to another box in another room.

Nah, the problem is with the cablecard integration. CableLabs has to certify the device and they make that pretty tough. Tivo is currently trying to understand exactly what they can/can't do with MRV and TTG and digital content on the S3. They have stated publicly (on TCF's) that the software is there and can be enabled if/when they get things worked out from the legal end.

Dburns:
Quote:

xcuse my ignorance, as I really know nothing about Tivo (other than it has a very zealous following), but how does one go about getting one of these "lifetime" subsciptions? Last thing I want to do is pay a monthly fee for something I already own. I'd rather pay upfront and not worry about future fees and especially monthly-fee increases.

Tivo changed their pricing model a while back, you can no longer flat out purchase a lifetime sub. Current tivo subscribers who have S1 or S2 tivo's have been given an option to transfer their existing lifetime sub from their S1 or 2 to a new S3 if they meet certain conditions (must buy the S3 from tivo directly instead of retail and a couple of other things.)
There are a bazillion links to the appropriate tivo website but I can't post it, or apprantly anything even similliar to it but you know /vip will help you out)
Some folks still have lifetime "gift cards" which tivo will accept as well, they are getting a hefty premium for those on ebay right now...
post #44 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravenstone View Post

Nah, the problem is with the cablecard integration. CableLabs has to certify the device and they make that pretty tough. Tivo is currently trying to understand exactly what they can/can't do with MRV and TTG and digital content on the S3. They have stated publicly (on TCF's) that the software is there and can be enabled if/when they get things worked out from the legal end.

Sorry, I should have said "an issue". I figured there would be licensing issues as well, but decided to focus on the engineering hurdles.
post #45 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the digital audio port will output a digital audio signal on an analog channel (cable)? In other words, does it convert the analog audio signal to digital (PCM for example)? Or is the digital audio output dead when you are tuned to an analog channel?
post #46 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any idea as to how long it will take for Costco to sell this new model?

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #47 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Nice find on the coupon..thanks!
post #48 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 11:24 AM

Sorry, double post..Stupid browser.
post #49 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Does anyone know if the digital audio port will output a digital audio signal on an analog channel (cable)? In other words, does it convert the analog audio signal to digital (PCM for example)? Or is the digital audio output dead when you are tuned to an analog channel?

Yes it does. Just like the TiVo's with built in DVD-RW drives.

Dan

Developer for VideoReDo

post #50 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Weaknees has just posted preliminary S3 hard drive upgrade info. Up to 98 HD hours; up to 927 SD hours...no prices yet.

post #51 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Yes it does. Just like the TiVo's with built in DVD-RW drives.

Dan

Thanks, Dan
post #52 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Weaknees has just posted preliminary S3 hard drive upgrade info. 98 HD hours; 927 SD hours...no prices yet.

Wow they're quick...
post #53 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothkin View Post

That would be nice BUT it wouldn't be worth that much if down the road TIVO went belly up and the program guides got discontinued as a result. As much as I like to save money, I can live with a periodic recurring fee if it serves to ensure the continued upkeep of the program guides.

Since TVIO series 3 does not require a phone line, how do they get the TVIO Guide information over the cable network? Are they just using the cable supplied guide information? Without a phone line, how is the subscription fee enforced?
post #54 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM

they require either a phone line or a network connection (wired or wirless). The guide data and subscription information is done via the tivo servers, not the cable.
post #55 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravenstone View Post

they require either a phone line or a network connection (wired or wirless). The guide data and subscription information is done via the tivo servers, not the cable.

Thanks. Didn't realize that they required an internet connection.
post #56 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow they're quick...

It's their livelihood.
post #57 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

CC sent the email with fedex tracking#. Preliminary tracking shows express delivery by3pm Thursday. Will see later this evening if it is actually picked up and on route.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #58 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

CC sent the email with fedex tracking#. Preliminary tracking shows express delivery by3pm Thursday. Will see later this evening if it is actually picked up and on route.

I have a tracking number too, showing estimated delivery on the 14th. The tracking info doesn't show it picked up by FedEx yet (just shows package data transmitted at 9:13am).

EDIT: FedEx just picked it up - in Marion, Illinois. Shhesh - I am in Michigan, so I probably could have had it next day if I had paid for just the standard shipping!
post #59 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a tracking number too, showing estimated delivery on the 14th. The tracking info doesn't show it picked up by FedEx yet (just shows package data transmitted at 9:13am).

EDIT: FedEx just picked it up - in Marion, Illinois. Shhesh - I am in Michigan, so I probably could have had it next day if I had paid for just the standard shipping!

Don't feel too bad, spiff. Consider this -- I ordered mine from CC yesterday, paid only $10 for two day shipping, and missed the FedEx delivery truck at my house by 15 minutes at lunch today. My wife had gone shopping; there was no one home; and FedEx required a signature. If either one of us had been home today, I'd be playing with it right now instead of typing this stupid post

post #60 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Weakness now has pricing on its S3 upgrade kits here.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page