TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread - Page 209 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6241 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 156
You get a $100 discount on lifetime service (or a reduced monthly sub) for upgrading, so I wouldn't say it's nothing. Lifetime in the past 10 years has always been lifetime of the box, not the user. They make most of their money on the service and not the hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Seems TiVo does everything in its power to dissuade TiVo 3 users from upgrading who have lifetime service.

There really is no discount worth mentioning for Tivo 3 users who buy a newer model.

TiVo needs to rethink its policies. The lifetime service is for the ability to use a TiVo and ability to have a TV guide to record from and that pretty much are the main features.

In a more clever world Tivo would either let one transfer their lifetime service to any new machine (since they are attached to a specific machine at any given time) and let the TiVo 3
or other lower models transfer the lifetime services. The reason is simple - the older model for the most part would most likely be given to another person who in turn would either do a subscription or they themselves, get a life time service subscription. The latter would now have TWO TiVos running and a profit from the purchase of the newer TiVo and the subscription from the older TiVo being used by another person. What TiVo forgets is that if a person is using a TiVo they are not using some other makers' box (even if its made by TiVo and used by a cable company).

In the meanwhile, I'll continue with my TiVo 3, and look for other options like the Windows Media computer or elsewhere (maybe a used Moxi).

Rant over.

+1!!!!!!!!!

Well said, and this is what has kept me from upgrading my 2 tivos, a series 3 and an hd tivo! (well, that plus having to give up the display on the front of the series 3 - I really find that nice to have, where it says what it's recording.)

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service, and just has to change the zipcode to their area to get their program guide? I guess I need to call them to verify that.
post #6243 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

+1!!!!!!!!!

Well said, and this is what has kept me from upgrading my 2 tivos, a series 3 and an hd tivo! (well, that plus having to give up the display on the front of the series 3 - I really find that nice to have, where it says what it's recording.)

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service, and just has to change the zipcode to their area to get their program guide? I guess I need to call them to verify that.

While I fully understood I was getting 'product lifetime service' when I upgraded from the 3-year service, I agree that they don't offer great incentive to upgrade. I wasn't a huge fan of my cable company, anyway, so I finally decided to go the DirecTV route and now have their Genie 5-tuner DVR. I still like the TiVo interface, etc., but I have been quite happy with the new DVR, and you absolutely cannot beat 5 tuners! Which reminds me, I have a TiVo S3 with lifetime service I need to eBay....

Randy

Randy
post #6244 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed (search didn't turn up anything)...

do the IR codes for the new premium (and premium XL) run on a different frequency than the series 3 and hd tivo?

the series 3 and hd tivo are the same - and I know you can switch the second unit to a second set of codes, which I've done. However, as far as I know, there are only 2 sets of codes, and if I do get a premium XL, I don't want the series 3 picking up the IR signals from it.

hopefully my question is clear...does anyone know for sure?
post #6245 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed (search didn't turn up anything)...

do the IR codes for the new premium (and premium XL) run on a different frequency than the series 3 and hd tivo?

the series 3 and hd tivo are the same - and I know you can switch the second unit to a second set of codes, which I've done. However, as far as I know, there are only 2 sets of codes, and if I do get a premium XL, I don't want the series 3 picking up the IR signals from it.

hopefully my question is clear...does anyone know for sure?

There are 10 different code sets. They're not on different frequencies, but I believe they're separated by different coding prefixes in the IR codes. You can control them separately with separate remotes. See this article from TiVo's online knowledge base for info on how to set the codes - and remember that "9" is magic, it will control all TiVos.
post #6246 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service...

Correct and it enhances their value greatly. I'm not sure that you could get $100 for an unmodified Series 3 OLED.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #6247 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Correct and it enhances their value greatly. I'm not sure that you could get $100 for an unmodified Series 3 OLED.

Thanks for the link! I had no idea that a Series3 with a lifetime subscription might be worth $400+. My S3 has a lifetime subscription and a 1TB external drive. Maybe I'll sell it.
post #6248 of 6262 Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

With a 1-TB drive like mine has those are actually surprisingly very good prices, I really had no idea they were worth that much.
post #6249 of 6262 Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I have seen some dandy ads in eBay, this is surely one of them. eek.gif

Auction #281077280180;
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01..LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #6250 of 6262 Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
What exactly is lifetime service? Why do they marry it to a machine and not a machine/user and let it be transferred. Offering 100 off for lifetime on a new machine is just plain stupid.

I can understand a nickel and dime me approach of a 25 dollar 'service fee' for transferring the lifetime service to another machine's MAC but this is just pure stupid greed.

When my TiVo 3 dies, I'll gladly go to Whinedoze media box or see what I can build with a Ceton card. TiVo has NO love for its long term base users.
post #6251 of 6262 Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
It's just a way to piss you off, so move along.

Seriously, all you're doing is repeating the same tired argument and it's not worth further discussion - if you don't want to pay Tivo what they want how they want it, roll your own HTPC.
dturturro and demonfoo like this.
post #6252 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My S3 is not powering up. Is there an internal fuse I can try or am I getting a new power supply/box?
post #6253 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post

My S3 is not powering up. Is there an internal fuse I can try or am I getting a new power supply/box?
Pop the cover and look at the power supply to see if you have any bulging capacitors, the PS has probably failed.
post #6254 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you opened it up and run some voltage checks? Second to the HDD, the PS is the next to fail.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #6255 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I had to replace my power supply last year on my Series 3. Takes about 5 minutes and it's worked like a champ since then.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #6256 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

I did it on my Series 3 as well. Simple to do, I opted for the Weaknees exchange PS instead of having it repaired.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #6257 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Finally home. Gonna crack it open shortly. Thanks for all the advice!smile.gif
post #6258 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 166
It's alive! It's alive!

(this thread)

Still have my S3. Never upgraded to any other. Sometimes wonder if I should have, but then there always seemed to be tradeoffs in doing so, thus, I stuck with the devil you know approach...

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #6259 of 6262 Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I did it on my Series 3 as well. Simple to do, I opted for the Weaknees exchange PS instead of having it repaired.

I did the exact same thing. Well worth the money.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #6260 of 6262 Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am still running two TiVoHDs for OTA and have a couple of spares for parts in case something breaks. I am expecting 10 years of use for each so I am about half way there.
post #6261 of 6262 Old 07-13-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by gwsat

I don't know how much of the CableCARD configuration problem that S3 owners suffer is the result of simple ignorance and how much the result of the cable companies' sneaky institutional hostility to CableCARDs. Either way it's frustrating. The silver lining in that black cloud is that, if you are patient, you will almost certainly get the cards properly configured - eventually.

It's been my expereince that the "hostility" lies within the cells of the organizations. Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist. This should be easy for people to do. Within these groups some cells are less hostile then others.

OK, I apologize for that but to an extent it's true. It seems to me that people in headend really want to help. Certain groups of techs are truly willing to learn and help. But right there, within the same local company under a different boss you have the stubborn who refuse to budge and have no interest in helping, therefore you have the famous line "it's a problem with the S3." I recently got switched from one service area out of Macedonia to one in Concord and the last time a Macedonia tech came out he mentioned this to me. He said they do not strive for customer service like we do. First time the guy comes out from Concord I see exactly what he is talking about.

If you're fortunate you get a group of good people. If not you can be put through hell by a bunch of stubborn uninterested idiots.
Re Tubetwister
CATV /SAT/Telco /ISP providers and most news media are regulated criminal enterprise/terrorist organizations that are in collusion with our elected dictatorship

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-14-2014 at 12:01 AM.
post #6262 of 6262 Old Today, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One easy way to solve that is stop feeding them money. (It's the same group TiVo is in )

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page