post #61 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Don't feel too bad, spiff. Consider this -- I ordered mine from CC yesterday, paid only $10 for two day shipping, and missed the FedEx delivery truck at my house by 15 minutes at lunch today. My wife had gone shopping; there was no one home; and FedEx required a signature. If either one of us had been home today, I'd be playing with it right now instead of typing this stupid post

That sucks - when that happens to me (for FedEx), I can go pick it up after 4pm from their office near my work. Trouble is, I have to go home and get the door tag, and then drive another half hour back to their facility. It still beats waiting another day.

This is why I have almost everything shipped to my office if I think it needs a signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

That sucks - when that happens to me (for FedEx), I can go pick it up after 4pm from their office near my work. Trouble is, I have to go home and get the door tag, and then drive another half hour back to their facility. It still beats waiting another day.

This is why I have almost everything shipped to my office if I think it needs a signature.

I tried that, but it was FedEx Home delivery, and the drivers take their trucks home. FedEx Express delivery drivers take their trucks back to the facility each night. Usually, my wife is home, but she was out grocery shopping at the time....oh well....I think I may have to come home from work early tomorrow...I'll be feeling a bit "under the weather".

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #63 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What bites is you guys are getting yours before me. And I pointed everyone to the coupon after I ordered mine . Mine's not scheduled to ship till tomorrow . Must be a difference in warehouses or something. pfft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

What bites is you guys are getting yours before me. And I pointed everyone to the coupon after I ordered mine . Mine's not scheduled to ship till tomorrow . Must be a difference in warehouses or something. pfft.

Don't feel too bad; I ordered mine before you posted the coupon info, so I missed the 10% off .

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #65 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

re: WN upgrades... $600 for a 750G HD - Yikes!. Seagate 750's are $400 at Newegg today. Surely it's not too hard to swap'em. Using a image tool, transfer the image, expand the partition? What filesystem do they use? Interesting to try while under CC warranty . Unless there's the ubiquitous "seal" to break to get it open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:

Don't feel too bad; I ordered mine before you posted the coupon info, so I missed the 10% off .

Well that almost makes me feel better. Damn bleeding edge

post #67 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well that almost makes me feel better. Damn bleeding edge

I hear you and feel your pain (or, more accurately, my savings account feels the pain).

post #68 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I ordered mine direct from TiVo yesterday. Called today about ship date and was told they would ship Thursday.
post #69 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I ordered mine direct from TiVo yesterday. Called today about ship date and was told they would ship Thursday.

It really doesn't make sense to me that they are shipping from Circuit City before Tivo ships them. I am glad I double ordered (and got the coupon thanks to GetGray). I will try to refuse shipment of the one I ordered from Tivo.
post #70 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
mine updated like spiff, fedex picked up out of Marion, IL delivery by 3 pm thursday. My fedex driver better give me time to get to the door. I may do yard work so i make sure i dont miss him, lol.

Weakness is just capitialising on the got have bigger and now demand.
someone else saw the 750gb seagate for like $328
Pretty sure it uses linux/tivo software. Wonder how long they hold back an instacake S3 CD??

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #71 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
What happens with these machines when cablecard2 comes out?

Gary J

post #72 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
The S3 is multistream CC capable IIRC.
post #73 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:

It really doesn't make sense to me that they are shipping from Circuit City before Tivo ships them. [...]

Yes, it is weird. What is weirder is that I read a post on the Tivo Community forums by someone who walked into their local Fry's and not only saw stock of the S3 on the shelf (!) but one set up with an HDTV for people to play with. So, at least Tivo definitely got them out there. Now I suspect they're ready to collect!
post #74 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

What happens with these machines when cablecard2 comes out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The S3 is multistream CC capable IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken, cable card ver. 2.0 is different from multistream cable card. CC2.0 will over 2-way communication for guide data and PPV ordering. The S3 will work with multistream CC1 cards, but not with CC2.0 cards (since that spec hasn't even been finalized yet and from what I understand will not be a software upgradeable issue).
post #75 of 6262 Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:

re: WN upgrades... $600 for a 750G HD - Yikes!. Seagate 750's are $400 at Newegg today. Surely it's not too hard to swap'em. Using a image tool, transfer the image, expand the partition? What filesystem do they use? Interesting to try while under CC warranty . Unless there's the ubiquitous "seal" to break to get it open.

In the past, Weaknees has been an excellent source for do-it-yourself TiVo hacks, and his post on his blog does suggest that he'll be posting the methods behind his drive replacement, just as he's done in the past. If it requires manufacturing/machining anything new, he'll also sell you just those parts that are needed.

The admittedly high cost for having it done by Weaknees buys you two things: 1) not having to worry about or even learn how to do the drive swap and upgrade process yourself; and 2) a warranty on the upgraded unit through Weaknees. (The DIY internal hack voids the TiVo warranty, which means you'd have to pay whatever price TiVo asked to get it fixed if anything went wrong with the unit after you opened the case.) For some folks, those two items would be worth the price premium.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #76 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

If I'm not mistaken, cable card ver. 2.0 is different from multistream cable card. CC2.0 will over 2-way communication for guide data and PPV ordering. The S3 will work with multistream CC1 cards, but not with CC2.0 cards (since that spec hasn't even been finalized yet and from what I understand will not be a software upgradeable issue).

You aren't mistaken
post #77 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

In the past, Weaknees has been an excellent source for do-it-yourself TiVo hacks, and his post on his blog does suggest that he'll be posting the methods behind his drive replacement, just as he's done in the past. If it requires manufacturing/machining anything new, he'll also sell you just those parts that are needed.

The admittedly high cost for having it done by Weaknees buys you two things: 1) not having to worry about or even learn how to do the drive swap and upgrade process yourself; and 2) a warranty on the upgraded unit through Weaknees. (The DIY internal hack voids the TiVo warranty, which means you'd have to pay whatever price TiVo asked to get it fixed if anything went wrong with the unit after you opened the case.) For some folks, those two items would be worth the price premium.

COol. But do you mean WN "takes over" the warranty of teh entire box if you upgrade it using one of their drives and the box "dies"? I suppose that would be of value. But it will be almost moot if (when?) Tivo enables that external drive port.

post #78 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has TiVo stated that you can use the eSATA port with any drive, or do you need to use a "special" drive (pre-blessed or pre-installed file system) that you would have to buy from TiVo?
post #79 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has TiVo stated that you can use the eSATA port with any drive, or do you need to use a "special" drive (pre-blessed or pre-installed file system) that you would have to buy from TiVo?

I don't believe they have. I expect they will when that port is enabled. And I'm hearing it may be when KidZone is enabled in November. Just hearsay at this point.

post #80 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a side note, does anyone here have an older Series 2 (the one without the big nightlight on the front)?

I ask because I noticed a major interface speed hit after the latest software update (the one that added KidZone). Sometimes when I first hit the "Guide" button, it takes 5-10 seconds for the guide to appear on screen (but the "boop" sound happens as soon as you press the button). Am I the only one seeing this slowdown?
post #81 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am waiting for my S3 to show up today, but I have a question...

If I set it up tonight (Guided Setup) without cablecards in it, and then I get the cablecards added tommorrow afternoon, will I have to repeat the guided setup again (since the channel numbers will all be different)?

I don't intend to set up any season passes tonight, but I am wondering how much I should do before the cablecards are added.

Thanks
post #82 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally, back at CES in January, they said you would need a special drive with a pre-installed file system. However, a few months ago, Tivo said they abandoned that plan and would just support off-the-shelf SATA drives. They said they don't want to get into the hard drive business.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #83 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a side note, does anyone here have an older Series 2 (the one without the big nightlight on the front)?

I ask because I noticed a major interface speed hit after the latest software update (the one that added KidZone). Sometimes when I first hit the "Guide" button, it takes 5-10 seconds for the guide to appear on screen (but the "boop" sound happens as soon as you press the button). Am I the only one seeing this slowdown?

I have the pre-nightlight S2 and, yes, the latest software update did slow it down. I'm not sure mine is as slow as yours seems to be, but I'm looking forward to going to v8.XXX with the S3. I've also read in TCF that there's an update just around the corner for the S2s that will iron out some of the sluggishness.

post #84 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I set it up tonight (Guided Setup) without cablecards in it, and then I get the cablecards added tommorrow afternoon, will I have to repeat the guided setup again (since the channel numbers will all be different)?

Probably. I wouldn't setup all your season passes until you get the CableCard installed.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #85 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one seeing this slowdown?

Nope, you are not even close to alone. I'm suffering the same performance hits, as are many (MANY!) folks over on TCF's. While I recognize that Tivo feels that have to stay one step ahead of the competition, they are doing so at the expense of the core DVR functions. I want the UI to be snappy when I bring up the guide, hit FF/RW etc. Honesty, things now are so slow I don't moan every time I use the SA8300 HD the way I used to...
post #86 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am waiting for my S3 to show up today, but I have a question...

I don't intend to set up any season passes tonight, but I am wondering how much I should do before the cablecards are added.

Thanks

Seems like I read in MegaZone's review of the S3 (or maybe somewhere else?) that GS would have to be repeated with a CC install.

This morning before leaving for work, I wrote down all my SPs in preparation for the S3 setup later today. I only have about 20, so it's not a huge deal. I suspect that number will grow with the S3

post #87 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it made it here apparently unscathed, despite the fact that CC just slapped a FedEx shipping label right on the original TiVo box (no "double boxing").

I am ready to go home and hook this baby up!
post #88 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The wife just called -- ours arrived about an hour ago....I'm feeling ill....don't know if I can continue working today....(cough) (cough).....

No double box either, so I'm really glad FedEx did NOT leave it on my porch yesterday!

post #89 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wife just called -- ours arrived about an hour ago....I'm feeling ill....don't know if I can continue working today....(cough) (cough).....

No double box either, so I'm really glad FedEx did NOT leave it on my porch yesterday!

Sounds like you are getting a case of 'intentional' flu.... Better head home so you dont infect others!!!!
post #90 of 6262 Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Sounds like you are getting a case of 'intentional' flu.... Better head home so you dont infect others!!!!

Thank you, Doctor! (will you sign my note?)

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page