TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Based on using a TiVo S2 (and now the S3) here are my responses...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It's compelling to me.
  1. Better picture on SD and HD channels with Series3 Tivo (verified). - AGREED (better than the S2)
  2. Unmatched reliability of recording - it always records the right programs at the right time. - AGREED
  3. Twice the built-in HDTV recording capacity, with an eSATA port for drive expansion. - AGREED
  4. Seamless integration of off-air digital channels into guide with digital cable channels. - AGREED
  5. Faster and more responsive interface and DVR functions. - CAN'T COMMENT SINCE I'VE NEVER HAD A CABLE DVR
  6. Much faster and easier commercial skipping - includes 30-sec skip and auto-skipback on FFW, with instant response (never any lag) on all DVR functions - CAN'T COMMENT SINCE I'VE NEVER HAD A CABLE DVR
  7. Very intuitive to use -- contributes to high WAF. - AGREED
  8. Aesthetically pleasing hardware and software design ---- makes for very high WAF - AGREED
  9. Includes the best remote I've seen for DVR - CAN'T COMMENT SINCE I'VE NEVER HAD A CABLE DVR
  10. Eliminates frustrations associated with cable company DVR to create a more pleasant and relaxing TV experience. - CAN'T COMMENT SINCE I'VE NEVER HAD A CABLE DVR

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It's compelling to me.
[list=1][*] Better picture on SD and HD channels with Series3 Tivo (verified).

Verified by who? Link to this info Please

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #123 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Then you are not a big enuff Tivo fan.

And neither am I. I'm going to wait it out for the Comcast dvr with Tivo software

true . . . true . . .
post #124 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Verified by who? Link to this info Please

By me, A/B comparison with SA8300HD last night. The quality on analog recordings is much better as well. Also reported by several posters on Tivocommunity.

Going to A/B with the FiOS' Motorola box as soon as they come on Monday to install the CC.
post #125 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought you meant it was "Verified" by some unbiased double blind test

post #126 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought you meant it was "Verified" by a soom unbiased double blind test

Well, about the best you can do is have someone A/B the same channel on the same provider with the same HDMI switch to determine whether it is possible to consistently pick one input over the other for the greatest perceived detail and resolution. I was able to do that on several HD channels. It won't be possible to repeat the test this weekend, but perhaps next weekend I'll be able to invite some others over to see if they duplicate my findings. We didn't do a double-blind last night, but I could certainly do that next time.

For analog content, A/B wasn't considered as it's not even close, the Series3's highest setting is a significant step up from whatever the default encoding scheme is on the SA8300HD.
post #127 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It's nice to hear that the Series 3 has good quality HD picture. Perhaps there is something to that THX certification after all.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #128 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:

It's nice to hear that the Series 3 has good quality HD picture. Perhaps there is something to that THX certification after all.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but THX is audio only.

It's all good and everything, but the THX certification wouldn't have anything to do (directly) with the picture, only the audio.
post #129 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravenstone View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong here but THX is audio only.

It's all good and everything, but the THX certification wouldn't have anything to do (directly) with the picture, only the audio.

That is, indeed, true. More about THX here.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #130 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have a couple questions. The only TiVo's I've ever had were DirecTv compatible and the service came through them.

On the stand alone S3 with 2 cable cards - wouldn't the program guide be supplied by my provider? What does the $12.95 TiVo service buy me? Will the device not work without it?

Dave B.
post #131 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post

But comcast charges ZERO for cablecards so if you want digital cable without HD it will cost you nothing extra for the cablecards to run the box.

I already have 1 of those free (minus the $15 install fee) cablecards from Comcast in one of my HDTVs. Anybody know if the 2nd and 3rd CC from Comast are also free? I suspect a $5 monthly digtial outlet fee may apply for each of those...but I'd love to be wrong.
post #132 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

That is, indeed, true. More about THX here.

Ah, so it is. My bad.

I think what threw me off were those THX optimizer screens to adjust your video settings that accompany some DVDs.
http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvd/brightness.html

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #133 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have a couple questions. The only TiVo's I've ever had were DirecTv compatible and the service came through them.

On the stand alone S3 with 2 cable cards - wouldn't the program guide be supplied by my provider? What does the $12.95 TiVo service buy me? Will the device not work without it?

The guide data is still supplied by the tivo servers. Remember the tivo UI is what you're using when you utilize the tivo, and that is driven by the guide data from the tivo service, not the cable co.
In fact, in PHX right now the SA boxes think that all the current House episodes are re-reruns (because the guide data is wrong) but the tivo knows better.

You can actually think of the cable cards (as they are used in an S3) as being fairly similar to your DBS access cards. They provide the ability to unscramble the content that your authorized to get. I think they also provide some assistance in mapping the channels as well, but I can't tell you exactly how that works.
post #134 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Like draven says, the Series3 uses guide data formatted specifically for Tivo, which it downloads from Tivo's server on the Internet, or by phone using an ISP (that Tivo pays for) if you don't have an Internet connection.

Every provider has unique guide data formatted for their particular system. Tivo offers the most comprehensive data available. However, even if your cable provider did offer guide data in a compatible format, the Series3 couldn't see it, because the current version of CableCard can't access or retrieve guide data.
post #135 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 PM

Ok, it's 2:50 now, and the Comcast technician has been trying to get the cablecards working in the new Tivo S3 for THREE HOURS!

Currently, he's running a new line from the pole, to make sure I'm getting sufficient signal.

No matter what we've tried, the CC sees the channel number and listing, but no picture!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggg

HD Dude

Sorry, if it's not in HD, I won't watch it!
post #136 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post

Ok, it's 2:50 now, and the Comcast technician has been trying to get the cablecards working in the new Tivo S3 for THREE HOURS!

Currently, he's running a new line from the pole, to make sure I'm getting sufficient signal.

No matter what we've tried, the CC sees the channel number and listing, but no picture!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggg

Try changing channels - Charter is here right now too - mine came up blank first, but changing channels resolved it.
post #137 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks Spiff, I will...even though I thought I was doing the whole channel changing thing already....

On the other hand, it did an AWESOME job of recording CSI in high-def off my OTA last night....

I'll let you know whether Comcast can light it up.

HD Dude

post #138 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are struggling a bit with mine now too. I am getting a 161-4 error, and it says to contact the cable provider to resolve the problem.
post #139 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongerelli View Post

If you don't tamper with the comcast DVR they give it to you for FREE and charge you for the service. Sorry, but $800 plus $12.95 a month on top of that vs FREE and $10 a month. Not very compelling.

You must not have ever used the Moto. Free isn't good enough. They ought to pay you to use it. It's the sorriest excuse for a device I've ever seen. I've been through 3 of them, they hang, lock up, lose programs, give you ads and generally...suck. I will gladly pay for the loss of anxiety the POS has caused me. I am not a TIVO fan, nor a fan of monthly charges. But after dealing with this thing, I was more than hapy to get a lifetime and a early adopter price just at a shot at getting an improved experience over what Comcast offers. Good luck with yours, or the wait. I'm tired of waiting.
post #140 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

They are struggling a bit with mine now too. I am getting a 161-4 error, and it says to contact the cable provider to resolve the problem.

Uh oh, sounds suspiciously like a Sony HDD DVR error message!
post #141 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravenstone View Post

The guide data is still supplied by the tivo servers. Remember the tivo UI is what you're using when you utilize the tivo, and that is driven by the guide data from the tivo service, not the cable co.
In fact, in PHX right now the SA boxes think that all the current House episodes are re-reruns (because the guide data is wrong) but the tivo knows better.

You can actually think of the cable cards (as they are used in an S3) as being fairly similar to your DBS access cards. They provide the ability to unscramble the content that your authorized to get. I think they also provide some assistance in mapping the channels as well, but I can't tell you exactly how that works.

Thanks, that splains it.

So I guess the TiVo guide syncs up to the FiOS channel line-up some how. Maybe that's one of the functions of the CC.

Dave B.
post #142 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Same error I got with my first CableCard in my TV. Luckily the tech brough an extra card "just in case" and it worked fine. Still waiting on my Series 3 though...
post #143 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 01:45 PM

Spiff I've gotten that message too...Comcast had never heard of that error message.

So far my second card is apparently being read by the cable company...in the conditional access panel is says 'yes' next to cable provider (cp)

The first card continues to say 'no' there....on card number 2 now.

And so far, still getting channel listings, but a black picture.

Trying, trying.....

HD Dude

post #144 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post

Spiff I've gotten that message too...Comcast had never heard of that error message.

So far my second card is apparently being read by the cable company...in the conditional access panel is says 'yes' next to cable provider (cp)

The first card continues to say 'no' there....on card number 2 now.

And so far, still getting channel listings, but a black picture.

Trying, trying.....

Welcome to the cablecard world. I don't have the S3 yet but I do have a lot of experience with cablecards. On my Mitsubishi 73927 I have already had 5 different cablecards replaced. It seems that every cablecard has its own "personality". I had several errors , all starting with "161" and the installation was always a real PITA.

For those still a virgin with cablecards:

-The cableguy will probably have little or no experience with possible glitches during installation. Ask the cableco to send 3 or 4 cablecards instead of 2. The chances of installing the first 2 without problems is not that big.

-Soon after you plug in the cablecard (or cablecards) you don't receive any picture from the digital channels. It takes 5 to 15 minutes for the channels to be "loaded" from the cableco. This is normal.

-2 of my cablecards just stopped working. My guess is that this is the cheapest possible piece of hardware that China can give us.

-Cablecards are much more sensitive to a good cable signal. Intallations with a lot of splits are prone to cause picture and sound dropouts.

-Cablecards have different software/firmware versions. I had some dated 2005 and the new ones are April 2006. I use SA cablecards.

Good luck! (you will need it!)

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #145 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like cablecards are not ready for prime time

post #146 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tech just left about half an our ago...

Both cards are working (all digital subscribed channels are viewable) in my TiVo, but the person on the other end of the phone line when the tech called said that they had pairing errors. They THINK it might be from weak signal, or a bad DAC on their end.

I have cablecards in my TV and in my SOny HDD250, and they both say "Valid" next to the "Host validation" line. The TiVo cards both say "unknown" in this field. I hope this doesn't cause problems down the road.

The strange thing about this install is that it went EXACTLY like the failed install that was done a week ago for a Sony Bravia TV in our bedroom. They put the card in, called in the numbers, the TV was seeing all of the premium channels that it should, but they kept saying that the card wouldn't pair on the other end of the phone. They set up a reschedule, and as I was going through the menus on the TV, I accidentally pressed the "reset" instead of "show" on the cablecard menu. This knocked out all of my access to premium channels.

Today they were supposed to try another card in that TV too, but I wanted to start with the Tivo since it is the more important device to me. Once we got the Tivo into a state where all channels were visible, we went upstairs to try the other TV. He popped out the card, read the number on the card, put it back in, and we tried a premium channel. IT WORKED! We suspect that the "hits" and balancing that they did while we were trying to get the Tivo working might have restored the channels on the other TV.

I am still concerned that it wasn't done right, and they might have to come out again.

He thinks I might need an amp to supply enough signal for all 5 of my CC's (4 of which are on the same outlet in the house).
post #147 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Well, the Comcast tech....great guy, I must say....finally left w/o success.

The latest...both cablecards now read 'yes' next to 'cable provider...' that's something.

He left the cards in, so I could play with my settings.

I just did a restart, followed by a new guided setup...now for the first time, ever, the Tivo asked whether I get premium channels...and if so, which ones.

Could there be light at the end of the tunnel?

It's loading the guide now...I'll update afterwards...

ps. thanks for the info Sergio...and Spiff...good luck!

HD Dude

post #148 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 03:42 PM

Still nothing.

Advice? Should I try again? Or should I get in the 'return' line at Best Buy?

I have a few of the Sony HD DVR's...so I won't be totally deprived.

But....I had such high hopes!

One thing that never fails, however, is Pino Noir....that's going to go down so well 'bout now.

HD Dude

post #149 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I activated my CableCards on Comcast over the phone this afternoon, after picking them up at a Comcast office. I got this message while activating also, but I just kept pressing "select" every time it came up. It seemed perfectly correlated with when the CSR said her signal went through. Despite these errors, it worked perfectly at the end. I'm getting all of the channels I should be on both cards, including the premiums I subscribe to. So I'm wondering if the error message is just bogus...
post #150 of 6262 Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Cablecard question... Does the cablecard only get 'used' or 'reserved' by the S3 when watching or recording encrypted QAM? What I mean by this is... if I have only one cablecard installed, can I record 1 unencrypted QAM channel such as a local HD AND an encrypted QAM such as ESPNHD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page