Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserGecko View Post

THX Home Theatre certification most certainly does include video specs.

From the above link:
"THX DVD Player - performs to the highest audio and video standards. Consumers can expect to see improved resolution and color fidelity, finer detail, and reduced noise on any digital video disc."

Well, having been in broadcasting for 25 years, and having watched HD through the Sony SAT-HD100 and HD300, the DirecTV HR10-250, the Motorola 6412, and the Sony DHG-HDD250, I have to say....

The picture on the Tivo S3 is by far and away, the finest HD picture I have ever seen.

By comparison with the above models, it is absolutely breathtaking. The clarity of HD is even more clear, the colors more natural, yet vibrant, black levels blacker, highlights more sparkling....it's magnificent.

Could the THX certification play a role in this?

I am not a technician, but I do have a trained 'eye.' And the S3 just blows me away.

If THX is the reason, thanks THX.

Regardless, Bravo, Tivo!

HD Dude

Sorry, if it's not in HD, I won't watch it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I agree, it smokes the Moto 6412 hands down, the S3 is transparent, it's as if it's not even there allowing the full bandwidth/resolution of the signal being provided to be sent to the screen. It's one of the very first things I noticed about the unit after hooking it up.

Your descriptions match my observation as well, it's almost like the image has been rejuvenated, the "pop" is back. It's a shame in that it's one of those things you have to see to realize how badly the other equipment has been degrading the image, I had gotten used to the 6412 output but upon seeing the S3 output it was a revelation. The image quality is probably the thing I'm most excited about with the unit.
post #183 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

It's unknown at this time how "involved" it would be to swap out your internal HD, but be aware that will immediately void the TiVo warranty.

Ok, then if something happens swap drives back.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #184 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I agree, it smokes the Moto 6412 hands down, the S3 is transparent, it's as if it's not even there allowing the full bandwidth/resolution of the signal being provided to be sent to the screen. It's one of the very first things I noticed about the unit after hooking it up.

Your descriptions match my observation as well, it's almost like the image has been rejuvenated, the "pop" is back. It's a shame in that it's one of those things you have to see to realize how badly the other equipment has been degrading the image, I had gotten used to the 6412 output but upon seeing the S3 output it was a revelation. The image quality is probably the thing I'm most excited about with the unit.

Thats good to hear. That is the biggest reason for me changing from the 3412 along with all its other problems. I love the passthrough option. I just want to know how well it converts 1080i to 720P. Also can you change the resolution while watching a program instead of the stupid way the 3412 made you turn it off and go into the menu.

Gosh I am excited to see what this thing does.
post #185 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post

Well, having been in broadcasting for 25 years, and having watched HD through the Sony SAT-HD100 and HD300, the DirecTV HR10-250, the Motorola 6412, and the Sony DHG-HDD250, I have to say....

The picture on the Tivo S3 is by far and away, the finest HD picture I have ever seen.

By comparison with the above models, it is absolutely breathtaking. The clarity of HD is even more clear, the colors more natural, yet vibrant, black levels blacker, highlights more sparkling....it's magnificent.

I am not a technician, but I do have a trained 'eye.' And the S3 just blows me away.

Regardless, Bravo, Tivo!

Wonder how it compares to the Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR in this respect. I do know that a cablecard in the TV looks better than the 8300 so hopefully the S3 will have the same advantage.
post #186 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post

Regardless, Bravo, Tivo!

I second that! PQ is quite amazing, and the tuner is much more sensitive. I had been using the Sammy SIR-T151, and the S3 blows it out of the water. I would have to swing my CM4221 around tp the NW (from being aimed at a tower farm SE) to lock in a DT only 8 miles away. Now, I'm picking up that NW on the backside of the antenna with an 85 percent signal strength (according to the S3 signal strength "meter").

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #187 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 PM

I have to say that this is the best thing since sliced bread. I got mine yesterday and it took about 2 hours to get all hooked up and running. I am only using it for OTA HD and the picture to my BENQ PE8700+ on a 115 inch screen is astounding. It does look much better than my HDD250. I have never had a TIVO before and was not looking forward to the fee but the way this thing functions I have to say it is well worth it. It downloaded 2 weeks of guide data from a wireless USB adapter in a matter of a couple of minutes. I can't wait for 24 to start.....
post #188 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone out there know if the TiVo wireless G adapter supports WPA encryption? I moved my S2 to the bedroom, but had to go back to the phone connection. I would like to put a wireless G adapter in there, but my network uses WPA rather than WEP. I don't want to go back to WEP just for TiVo.
post #189 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 01:10 PM

I have read that an S3 without cable cards can record "clear QAM" HD channels by setting a manual recording. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, is it possible to set a weekly recurring recording on a clear QAM HD channel?
post #190 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCalif View Post

I have read that an S3 without cable cards can record "clear QAM" HD channels by setting a manual recording. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, is it possible to set a weekly recurring recording on a clear QAM HD channel?

I tried manual the other day and it works, I didn't check to see if a recurring recording could be set though, I'm almost certain that it does.
post #191 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post

Thats good to hear. That is the biggest reason for me changing from the 3412 along with all its other problems. I love the passthrough option. I just want to know how well it converts 1080i to 720P. Also can you change the resolution while watching a program instead of the stupid way the 3412 made you turn it off and go into the menu.

Gosh I am excited to see what this thing does.

I don't have a 720p display so I can't say how well it does. As far as changing the rez while viewing a program, I'd have to check(watching Sunday Ticket from DirecTV right now) but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. With native passthrough the resolution automatically changes to whatever rez the station/network is sending and then your display will scale/de-interlace if needed. With the Comcast box everything is sent at one resolution, and it doesn't do a very good job of it at all.
post #192 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Wonder how it compares to the Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR in this respect. I do know that a cablecard in the TV looks better than the 8300 so hopefully the S3 will have the same advantage.

It does, that's what it reminds me of, just a direct connection to the display, or how a good QAM tuner in a display will look. Cable boxes are notorious for mangling the signal, not so with the S3.
post #193 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone who upgraded from a Samsung SIR-T165 or an LG LST-3410A care to share how the PQ compares to either of those HD receivers?

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #194 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 PM

I have watched Las Vegas on NBC which shows as 1080i and I have mine set to output 720p to my BENQ projector. It looked wonderful but I still think FOX looks the best.
post #195 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 03:48 PM

I just added an outdoor HDTV antenna and repeated guided setup - I now have two of each cable channel - anyone figured out how to selectively add newly discovered channels? Seems like all or nothing...

I will have to do this again after Comcast brings my two CCs tomorrow (assuming they pair properly)

post #196 of 6262 Old 09-17-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok, then if something happens swap drives back.

That's assuming there are no tamper-proof seals that need to be broken to access the drive, which I suspect there are.
post #197 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
As long as they aren't the type that separate leaving part of the printing behind, you can use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and peal the label from the case lifting the edge of the lable using a clean single sided razor blade.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #198 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 AM

Are cable TV providers authorizing TiVo Series 3 HD DVRs for use with CableCARD(s)? If so, what is the monthly cost with Time Warner for the TiVo service & program guide?
post #199 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Are cable TV providers authorizing TiVo Series 3 HD DVRs for use with CableCARD(s)? If so, what is the monthly cost with Time Warner for the TiVo service & program guide?

Some are and others are too stupid to realize that they are required to by law.

The best place to find out what is going on with S3 is in the Tivo Community Forum.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51
post #200 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I don't have a 720p display so I can't say how well it does. As far as changing the rez while viewing a program, I'd have to check(watching Sunday Ticket from DirecTV right now) but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. With native passthrough the resolution automatically changes to whatever rez the station/network is sending and then your display will scale/de-interlace if needed. With the Comcast box everything is sent at one resolution, and it doesn't do a very good job of it at all.

I just wonder if the deinterlacing in the new tivo is better than my panny900u FP.

I hope that it is. I just want to know if it deinterlaces it to 1080p and then scales it to 720p or if it deinterlaces 1080i to 540p and then up to 720p like lots of cheaper units.
post #201 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 AM

Does the S3 come with any cables? Such as a HDMI.

*(EDIT)*
I found the answer to my question, here are the calbles that come with it;

Power cable
Phone line
Phone splitter
Coaxial RF
A/V cable (composite video, RCA stereo)
Component Video (Y, Pb, Pr)
HDMI

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #202 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 AM

We are performing integration testing between the Tivo Series 3 HD DVR and our neTegriti eSATA drive expansion kits. We are looking for 5 beta testers to assist us with field testing and evaluation. We will be offering a 50% refund to the testers that provide full reports and that keep the external drives. Is there anyone on this forum interested in helping us, that has a Tivo series 3 already installed (or very soon to be installed)?

We have had very good sucess with integrating our Scientific Atlanta upgrades that we have shared in the 8300HD forum. We'd like to do the same for the Tivo.

Please contact me:
Jesse Menczer - DiscounTechnology
tivoseries3@discountechnology.com
Tivo Series 3 DVR eSATA kits

Thanks,

Jesse.

Jesse Menczer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+1 214 550 1214
post #203 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscounTech View Post

We are performing integration testing between the Tivo Series 3 HD DVR and our neTegriti eSATA drive expansion kits. We are looking for 5 beta testers to assist us with field testing and evaluation. We will be offering a 50% refund to the testers that provide full reports and that keep the external drives. Is there anyone on this forum interested in helping us, that has a Tivo series 3 already installed (or very soon to be installed)?

We have had very good sucess with integrating our Scientific Atlanta upgrades that we have shared in the 8300HD forum. We'd like to do the same for the Tivo.

Please contact me:

Thanks,

Jesse.

I already replied via email, but I think this may be a bit premature, since TiVo has not enabled the eSATA port in their currect software for these Series 3 devices (yet). I would probably be interested though, once they are enabled!
post #204 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Please contact me:

Thanks,

Jesse.

Of course, the eSATA port is not yet active on the S3's...
post #205 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 AM

It seems I have my information wrong...

The eSATA port still is not active. However, we'd like to find 5 savvy and interested users to assist us =as soon= as they release firmware with the esata port enabled. Please get in touch.

Regards,

Jesse.

Jesse Menczer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+1 214 550 1214
post #206 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Responded also, but unless Discount Tech know something we don't know we won't be able to do much testing.
post #207 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The eSATA port still is not active. However, we'd like to find 5 savvy and interested users to assist us =as soon= as they release firmware with the esata port enabled. Please get in touch.

Regards,

Jesse.

Count me in - I already emailed the address you provided...
post #208 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Regards,

Jesse.

My question would be -- what happens if, in the process of this beta, it screws up our TiVo Series 3? Are we voiding the TiVo warranty if we participate since it's not a TiVo-sanctioned activity?

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #209 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Sounds like cablecards are not ready for prime time

No.

CableCards aren't the problem, cable companies are. They don't want you to use CalbeCards because it limits their revenue since you can't buy PPV movies and events using the remote.

The ONLY reason CableCards are a reality is because the FCC FORCED CABLE COMPANIES TO USE THEM.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #210 of 6262 Old 09-18-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Had Comcast here a few hours ago and the install went painlessly. Only the first card came up with the 161-4 error, but you just pass through that, and the rest went fine.

Now I'll be getting ready to do battle with the cable company over the monthly cost when I return the 6412.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page