AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

That is a reference to the start of DST being hard-coded. As it is now, it's coded to start the 1st Sunday of April (I think) and it needs to be changed to the 2nd Sunday in March (or whatever it is). It actually needs to be fixed so it isn't hard-coded at all, since who knows when they'll mess with it again.

Dave, in one of your previous posts you were going to verify with your contact person at the Cable Company that the start date was hard-coded in SARA and that a new release was required. Did your contact person verify it?

Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 18790 Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
RussB,

Sorry, have not heard back at all. I followed up Friday, but they are doing some kind of reorganizing here and he is up to his eyeballs in work, if he's even in town at the moment.

Cheers, Dave
post #363 of 18790 Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
C_F,

That was one of the discussions way back when. Part of the problem is the different terms used by SARA, Passport, and Navigator. But, however you name the options, there are only so many ways to record:

If you tell it to record Program A at Time X, they can key on the title and modify the time for DST.

If you tell it to record Program A on Day B at Time X, they can key on title/day and still modify the time for DST.

If you tell it to record First Runs of Program A, they can key on title and the day/time doesn't matter.

If you tell it to record Program A at Any Time, they can again key on title and the day/time still doesn't matter.

The key to all this is the Title. I think in the past, SARA (and possibly Passport) keyed on the Day/Time and didn't always check the title, for whatever reason. When Program A changed from Time X to Time Y, it was missed because it recorded based on Time X and didn't look at the title.

However, from time to time, channels air Program A at both Time B and Time C. I see this a lot with stuff on SciFi and TNT. Oftentimes Program A will be aired back to back and then both will be repeated 2 hours later. Because the First Run conflicts with other recordings, I record a specific rerun. Oftentimes though, they will be aired back to back and then both will be repeated 2 hours later. What is a programmer to do? IMO, only I know which one I want to record and I need to take some responsibility to compensate for DST.

Cheers, Dave
post #364 of 18790 Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:

RussB,

Sorry, have not heard back at all. I followed up Friday, but they are doing some kind of reorganizing here and he is up to his eyeballs in work, if he's even in town at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. Please keep us updated if you hear anything more. If anyone else can confirm that the start date was hard-coded in SARA and that a new release is required, please post the info. Does anyone know if this is also a problem with Digital Navigator?

Links:

post #365 of 18790 Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Never thought I'd be asking for a rate increase, but I wonder if Time Warner would let us pay extra and keep our old Passport system. I'd even put up with screwed up DST for two weeks if absolutely necessary.

-barry
post #366 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmotwcuser View Post

I doubt if we will be able to keep Passport, but with Comcast offering Tivo for an extra cost, TWC may follow. The only thing that may stop that, is that TWC is in a big push to Brand their product. This Branding means they want their IPG to look the same at every division as they feel it gives the customer a feeling of coming home to TWC no matter where they are. Now get real, how often do we go from city to city, state to state to get that warm and fuzzy feeling from the Cable IPG. I am sure the only people who do that are TWC employees who travel.

It would be interesting to see those polls that made them think that customers really wanted to see the same IPG when they travel from TWC city to TWC city on vacation.

I am sure the real reason it to have 1 platform system wide, as it would reduce cost on the front end and mean they would not have to work with outside vendors like Aptiv or SA for fixes and updates. Who knows next they may be building their own Cable Boxes.

Having only one platform also makes it easier for them to support and troubleshoot. That way, they don't need to keep their CSR's up to date on multiple platforms, since there's only one common platform. Makes it easier to walk grandma and Joe6Pack through the menus to get 'em back up and running.

Not saying it's better (because it's not), but that's the likely rationale.
post #367 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave I DID "dabble" in programming back in the Basic era. I think I understood what it took to be a "good programmer" and thought I'd rather be the one that write the specs. I always kinda thought that I could do a good job at that as I had at least a familiarity with what it took to write the code. Plus I thought it good business sense to iterate between specs and coding anyway.

Ah, time zones... I'll admit sometimes I don't think about that; being AT TIMES the typical eastern jerk who thinks everything revolves around OUR time as it tends to be the main one quoted! I think Passport is pretty decent with Series recordings; only one small quirk it has is that something I had wanted to add as the 1:00 AM showing and not the 10:00 PM showing. To accomplish that I had to set the series recording from that 1:00 AM showing, I could not adjust it even though there was a supposed way to do it (the time setting). Honestly, the only thing that annoys me no end is data issues, as in the "new" flag. BTW, BSG HD season 3 begins this Saturday night on UnHD! AND I['m "re-loving" Atlantis from the beginning on HD.

I hear you Barry... but I daresay MDN might be a tad more solid before they roll it out here. There are MANY issues both good and bad by us choosing to live here, cable bandwidth sure as heel is very much on the positive side! Size of/signifigance of market SHOULD mean we don't have to do as much alpha testing as other markets may have to suffer through.

As for TiVo, I have LONG thought their best business model was to license to the cable guys and stay the hell out of the hardware market. I still feel that way; obviously they feel otherwise. It sure might have happened that they really tried and just gave up playing with the big guys in cable. While I'd certainly agree they have some better features, I find them only slightly better (as in what I get from TWC seems to be "good enough" for my needs). Paying a few extra bucks/month to be able to record automatically by director/actor just isn't worth it to me.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #368 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

Having only one platform also makes it easier for them to support and troubleshoot. That way, they don't need to keep their CSR's up to date on multiple platforms, since there's only one common platform. Makes it easier to walk grandma and Joe6Pack through the menus to get 'em back up and running.

Not saying it's better (because it's not), but that's the likely rationale.

And TW can support from one common customer support location (which could be anywhere, even oversees) and not have to have region unique support locations. Another cost savings.
Dan
post #369 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

... how often do we go from city to city, state to state to get that warm and fuzzy feeling from the Cable IPG...

I do

Since Memorial Day -> 5 Posts, 14 States, 17,000 miles in an RV with no SAT.
Although, I only got cable+DVR+Internet where available, when I could stay a couple weeks.

v/r,
C-F
post #370 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

so in Holly Springs my 8300HDDVR has been rebooting or downloading something for the past 45 minutes. Apparently this is happening all across Holly Springs, NC and the Rep I called had no idea what was going on. He only said that everyone was having the same problem in Holly Springs, he even said that turning off the box and unplugging it did not help those he spoke to earlier and so now I wait.......

could it be the Navigator download? could it be a complete f***ing mess? anyway, I give it another 15 minutes and I will be unplugging it to see what happens (xbox 360 Crackdown is keeping me busy for now.)

J
post #371 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody03svt View Post

so in Holly Springs my 8300HDDVR has been rebooting or downloading something for the past 45 minutes. Apparently this is happening all across Holly Springs, NC and the Rep I called had no idea what was going on. He only said that everyone was having the same problem in Holly Springs, he even said that turning off the box and unplugging it did not help those he spoke to earlier and so now I wait.......

could it be the Navigator download? could it be a complete f***ing mess? anyway, I give it another 15 minutes and I will be unplugging it to see what happens (xbox 360 Crackdown is keeping me busy for now.)

J

Sounds like something else is going on. Cable usually downloads this stuff overnight. I wonder if something happened that makes all of the boxes want to reboot - this causes a massive load on their servers.

Dave Hancock
post #372 of 18790 Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Re Univac, we had switches that we could set to step through the code one instruction at a time and follow along with a code sheet, alter instructions on the fly, etc. This was all circa 1965 when the Air Force Supply System got their own mainframe computers, had their own cadre of operators/programmers, and controlled the specs and coding. We made plenty of mistakes because it was all learn as you go and we were adapting the supply system to automation at the same time we were learning that automation. They were fun times and if I could go back tomorrow, I would.

Ya gotta be kidding......this from someone who has punched instructions in from the Univac computer's front panel for simple I/O test routines...ala Altair..

"Writing Code" for mid-60's era Univac computers was just that--carefully entering your "code" into paper "coding sheets"....scratch, scratch, erase, erase...
It then took many hours for someone (someone else if you were lucky) "typing" at the IBM Card keypunch machine--which was very slow, required very strong fingers and hence was murder for touch typists.

After carefully checking say the first few thousand IBM Cards (one line of code per card), you submit the several pounds of card decks and come back the next day to pick up your "source listing" (several inches of printout) to see how many syntax errors had to be fixed by repunching the guilty cards....REPEAT as necessary until it passes the Card Verification ('spell and syntax check') process.

[Even "moderate" sized programs would fill one drawer up to several file cabinets with card decks and source listings.]

THEN you could submit the one or more boxes of IBM Cards to see if it would either RUN (and hence good enough to save both the source listing and compiled object code on a tape image)....[On-line code entry to tape image came along later....]

Or CRASH....which it invariably would.....resulting in a briefcase sized printout called the "core dump" which showed the contents (in Octal) of each and every memory location. Knowing ONLY that there was an illegal operation (usually divide by zero) in a particular memory location, you could then manually "de-assemble" the Octal numbers back into their respective machine instructions so that you could then try to figure out which module/sub-routine/code line was "involved" in causing the problem....so that you could START the debug process....so the average debug "rate" was pretty pathetic....I remember chasing my tail for many days before I uncovered a problem in the compiler's MathPack--the COTAN function call was hozed for certain ranges of angles....

Even though I had access to my first Univac "Personal Computer" in 1967, it still took several minutes to many hours to "run" most programs (using "high level" code compilers), after spending perhaps half an hour or more to load the IBM Card decks. Of course, that time got much, much longer whenever the Card Reader decided to spew out a scrambled stream of 52-card pickup....

I don't miss it---nor the (itchy) paper tape that was later used to load vintage (1973) Intel 1702 EPROMS (for Intel 8008 uproc). Incredibly, they used ten ASCII characters on the tape for each 8-bit byte on the EPROM via the infamous "BNNNNPPPPF" format (Begin, Negative, Positive, Finish). I guess the excessive time to read the paper tape (via slow TTY reader) was helping to cover up how slow it was to actually program the EPROM.

If only we could do comm engineering without all that messy software......HAH!!!!!

and
and

post #373 of 18790 Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Gack, did I start this look back?? While seriously O/T, I DO hope that nobody gets annoyed at this look back... it's still blows me away at how far we have come in such an incredibly short period of time.

post #374 of 18790 Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 AM

WOW... I am pissed... not only did I lose all of my tv watching ability last night, nothing is new. No new updates, nothing. There were numbers going down and up throughout the whole event (that took all night!!!) I finally went to bed around 11pm and it still was doing this strange event, I even unplugged from wall and it went right back to doing the same thing. It finally stopped doing this and rebooted normally so I could watch the morning news.

This is frustrating because a few weeks ago TWC NC cut a fiber optic cable and the phone and internet were down for a day and then two weeks ago my phone was down all weekend as well as the internet.

I am definitely NOT a happy TWC customer

side note: I did miss the State of the Union Address last night so I should be really pissed (although I am not, I can just watcht the news or go online to see what I missed.)

J
post #375 of 18790 Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Huh, every day I expect them to change my boxes. It hasn't happened yet. I'm in the burbs of Kansas near KC. I wonder when they will do the update.

I already took an early precaution and wrote down all of our recording list.

Is it true they do the regular STB's 1st? And then the DVRs?

-SiGGy
post #376 of 18790 Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So I was at Columbus Circle yesterday, looking at TWC's "Home to the Future" exhibit (which, incidentally, was fairly lackluster despite the presence of the new Navigator software on the cable boxes there.) But I went up to the Samsung store and played around with their TV sets.

On one TV in the back left corner of the store, I played around with it, and it had menus and graphics almost exactly like those of the new Navigator software, complete with TWC logo in the corner, On Demand and PPV menus, and so on. The only problems were that it was god-awful slow and some of the fonts were different.

The thing about it was there was no cable box in sight, and the remote clearly indicated I was controlling the TV itself.

Is this a preview of the iDCR/OCAP functionality that Samsung and TWC jointly announced at CES?

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #377 of 18790 Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Is this a preview of the iDCR/OCAP functionality that Samsung and TWC jointly announced at CES?

Sounds like it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #378 of 18790 Old 01-28-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My DVR is still running Passport and my 2 SA2100 Std Boxes have Navigator.

Ah, very interesting! Thanks for keeping us in the loop with specifics!

post #379 of 18790 Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Raleigh NC has just gotton Navigator.Any imput from Raleigh would be greatly appreciated.
post #380 of 18790 Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
KzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Raleigh NC has just gotton Navigator.Any imput from Raleigh would be greatly appreciated.

In Raleigh here, but I still have Passport 2.6.002. I have the 8300HD DVR.
post #381 of 18790 Old 02-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

KzY thanks.The Raleigh website shows you have Navigator.When you get it would you give us feedback. SARA 1.87.24 here in Greensboro.
post #382 of 18790 Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Man, was I living on Mars! When I saw the new Navigator preview on TWC website, I was initially impressed. It looked good and sounded like it has some nice new features. Then I started reading through posts like this one, and I can tell that I'm going to be really disappointed with it's features. I have Passport, and love simple little things like the auto-back-up when fast-forwarding thru commercials. I really can't understand how series recording doesn't allow you to select specific showtimes/days, cuz I really don't need 5 recordings per day of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. I'm dreading this 'upgrade' now like a root canal.

If I found that my saved programs had been deleted by the software installation, I would totally go postal on the head of TWC CEO! It was one thing to lose everything in a harddrive crash about a year ago, that's a hardware defect that's nearly unavoidable. But a software update better be thoroughly tested on all equipment types for bugs before it's rolled out to the public.

I've been a TWC customer since 1985, and have nearly always been very pleased. But this sort of crap could get me to actually consider switching. I've never even considered satellite before cuz of the problem with weather interruptions. But, since I live in the city, I can count on the antenna for local HD channel reception. And, now DirecTV's new HD DVR allows recording from either satellite or the OTA antenna - which is a huge plus. That, on top of a harddrive with twice the capacity of the SA8300HD and a 90-minute buffer, has me thinking that DirecTV could be a very acceptable alternative to TWC if this new Navigator is as bad as it sounds.

Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Dish Network ViP722 & TWC Cisco 8640HDC
post #383 of 18790 Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, few weeks ago I read someone got 2.6.002, first obvious question was "trick play big fixed?" Answer came back "NO." But you say Pioneer, didn't ever hear of a Pioneer box doing DVR duty and running passport.

post #384 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 AM

Yet another Lincoln alpha-tester here (8300HD) with a serious bug I haven't seen mentioned yet. Starting on Sunday, all of the series we have set up to record began silently failing with the message "Episode Not Available." I didn't discover this until last night (no Rome, Heroes, or Studio 60 for me this week, I guess). Manual recording still works.

I called in this morning and the rep said the only thing they can suggest is a hard reboot, so I'll try that tonight. He also said they have had numerous other complaints about this and they're working to track down the problem. Yippee.

I had resigned myself to putting up with the fugly interface and assorted other minor glitches in the new Navigator, but this one is a show-stopper - literally. Tivo is looking better all the time . . .
post #385 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Ah, few weeks ago I read someone got 2.6.002, first obvious question was "trick play big fixed?" Answer came back "NO." But you say Pioneer, didn't ever hear of a Pioneer box doing DVR duty and running passport.

The Pioneer Voyager 3510HD is just an HD STB; I had one in 2003 on TWC-KC, it ran PASSPORT. It would put the selected aspect control out over composite and S-Video (easier anamorphic recordings). Supposedly, it had better picture quality than the SA 8000HD, but I did not see much change on a 32" 4:3 CRT, so I went to the DVR. Pioneer floated a 4000 series DVR at one time, but it never seemed to materialize.

v/r,
C-F
post #386 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Square View Post

Yet another Lincoln alpha-tester here (8300HD) with a serious bug I haven't seen mentioned yet. Starting on Sunday, all of the series we have set up to record began silently failing with the message "Episode Not Available." I didn't discover this until last night (no Rome, Heroes, or Studio 60 for me this week, I guess). Manual recording still works.

I called in this morning and the rep said the only thing they can suggest is a hard reboot, so I'll try that tonight. He also said they have had numerous other complaints about this and they're working to track down the problem. Yippee.

I had resigned myself to putting up with the fugly interface and assorted other minor glitches in the new Navigator, but this one is a show-stopper - literally. Tivo is looking better all the time . . .

Lincoln here to with a 8300HD.

I never used the series option on mine. At least not for anything I watch weekly I have messed around with it but not for anything I want to watch for sure. I guess I didn't trust it and know I am glad I didn't after reading this. I did notice last week on Wednesday or Thusday some funny stuff happening with the program guide. Certain channels didn't have anything listed and things like that. I did a hard reboot and it solved the issues.
post #387 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 PM

A friend of mine here in Lincoln who was having the remote IR command issues and other issues told me TWC Nebraska recommends hard rebooting the box every couple of days to avoid issues and that they hope to push another software update in the next couple of weeks.
post #388 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I was my understanding the the IR Commander was not supported by Navigator. I think they are wanting to push the DVR on to people who use the IR commander to operate their VCR. I also thought the Timer function of Navigator didn't work. I have tried to set my On and Off timer on my SA2100 and nothing happens.

I wasn't talking about IR Commander, I'm talking about simple IR commands sent by the DVR remote being buffered and then executed minutes later rapid-fire (as I posted earlier in this thread).
post #389 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Bite my tongue never thought I would say this but glad i'm still on SARA 1.87.27.At least it works if not feature rich it's reliable.Hope Navigator gets fixed before they push it on us.For once i'm not jelious of PASSPORT users.Sorry guys.
post #390 of 18790 Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Bite my tongue never thought I would say this but glad i'm still on SARA 1.87.27.At least it works if not feature rich it's reliable.Hope Navigator gets fixed before they push it on us.For once i'm not jelious of PASSPORT users.Sorry guys.

Before you get too happy with your current SARA version, if you are TWC also, you should be getting an upgrade to 1.89.17.x before March 11th that will address DST issues. This comes with its own set of problems, e.g., losing scheduled programming.

Scarlett

TWC Austin, TX--SARA 1.89.24.1--8300HD--Seagate ST3300831AS ext. SATA HD--Apricorn SATA enclosure
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page