post #451 of 18919 Old 02-23-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Ah, that's interesting although it also COULD be that Passport can't run with an OCAP enabled RTOS...

But my guess is the answer to that doesn't really matter, I think they (and every cable system) has more need for converting to SDV in significant ways. The business "threat" is from satellite systems touting 150 channels of HD AND Verizon's FIOS initiative, not the limitation on the ability to offer new services to extract even more money from customers.

As for the last 3 questions, I'd say:

1. pretty much like alpha software from what I read
2. ready or not, it will happen; besides "ready" is highly subjective
3. none for any Passport users

Earlier this week, my SA3250HD (Firewire source) was upgraded--
It has PowerTV (low level RTOS), OCAP (middleware) and Passport (IPG) in the list of OS's....
and (surprise!!!!) looks and acts exactly the same as before:
http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages...html#POST32111

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and flood us with HD channels.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 18919 Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post

It is absolutely amazing to me that the only thing anyone ever lists as a "new" feature is caller ID on the TV. If that's all they're pushing out that is new (and it isn't even that new) they should have just stuck with Passport...

It should be noted that their caller-id on TV requires that you be using cable phone service .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #453 of 18919 Old 02-24-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It should be noted that their caller-id on TV requires that you be using cable phone service .

AT&T bundles U-Verse and Homezone with Cingular Cell Phones.
Verizon bundles FiOS with their Cell Phones.

So far, TWC-SD is MISSING a Cell Phone affiliate....

However, this is changing--TWC offers SPRINT in (at least) Austin, Rayleigh and Kansas City:
http://www.teleclick.ca/2007/02/time...l-phone-plans/
http://www.timewarnercable.com/austi...s/default.html
http://news.com.com/Time+Warner+Cabl...3-5648954.html
and soon TWC-Nebraska (currently running new Digital Navigator) will offer Cell Phone service:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/nebra...e/default.html

Surely CALLER ID for both VoIP and Cell Phone can't be too far away for all of TWC....

And eventually, I would predict that FCC will establish rules whereby CALLER ID will be displayed
for ANY Cell Phone service--cuz that's the sort of thing they do.....
post #454 of 18919 Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmotwcuser View Post

Riversid Guy

I would check your version of Passport again as from what I understand 2.5.066 does not support the new daylight savings time. We just got 2.6.002 here in KC as it has daylight support.

Not sure why you think I need to check it again... TWC is very definitely following the same path other updates have gone... first they roll it out in Staten Island, then Queens, and finally Manhattan. Read a post from someone in SI, and they got 2.6.002 a few days ago. I expect we'll get it next week.

Funny, I said I THOUGHT it was all about DST and someone did jump all over me that I was making unfounded speculation... or something to that effect.

The real bottom line is that NONE of us have any real inside knowledge of what's up, so the best ANY of us can do is use some common sense and logic to speculate.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #455 of 18919 Old 02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

AT&T bundles U-Verse and Homezone with Cingular Cell Phones.
Verizon bundles FiOS with their Cell Phones.

So far, TWC-SD is MISSING a Cell Phone affiliate....

However, this is changing--TWC offers SPRINT in (at least) Austin, Rayleigh and Kansas City:
http://www.teleclick.ca/2007/02/time...l-phone-plans/
http://www.timewarnercable.com/austi...s/default.html
http://news.com.com/Time+Warner+Cabl...3-5648954.html
and soon TWC-Nebraska (currently running new Digital Navigator) will offer Cell Phone service:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/nebra...e/default.html

Surely CALLER ID for both VoIP and Cell Phone can't be too far away for all of TWC....

And eventually, I would predict that FCC will establish rules whereby CALLER ID will be displayed

Well, as far as I know, TWCs cable boxes don't hook up to any phone line, so how would the cable box know who's calling? Obviously, if you're a TWC phone customer, they'll know when someone is calling you and be able to pipe that info to your cable box, which is what they're doing. But when you're with another provider?

And CID-on-screen for a cellphone strikes me as iffy. What if the cellphone owner isn't home, but his spouse is? Would he want his incoming calls plastered over her Days of Our Lives?

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #456 of 18919 Old 02-24-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Having worked on cell phones (and basestation software, for that matter) and having some familiarity with the infrastructure of those systems, believe when I tell you that it would be technically challenging to display caller-id from cellular calls on your television screen via your cable STB. (Hell, the data structures involved in the air protocols don't even have a field for caller name even if it was there on the POTS call). Also, displaying caller-ID is hardly a matter of public welfare--it's a bells-and-whistles type of thing. I sincerely doubt that the FCC would involve itself in legislating requirements for pure convenience features.

Navigator's support of caller-ID from cable phones is a no-brainer; the incoming call alerts are flowing over the same broadband cable that television service is on. They don't even need a telephone connection on the box.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #457 of 18919 Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how we got disconnected, I really don't remember who took exception to my "speculation" but I was not trying to say it was you (far as i know, we both said essentially the same thing)! I did find out that Passport kept "series recordings by time as GMT offsets," so 100% it would have to rev for the new DST (one of my annoying quirks is that I want to know the how and why).

post #458 of 18919 Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorny423 View Post

There was an update for Navigator on my 8300HD box this afternoon here in Lincoln. The version is now 2.3.19AB-ptv Jan 26 2007, 15:22:39.

I haven't noticed anything different yet but will post anything if I do.

The only things I have noticed different so far are that in the channel guide it tells you if a program is new now as opposed to just telling you if it was a repeat or not. Also when surfing channels it doesn't seem to skip (or change two channels at a time) when you press the channel +/- buttons.

I never really had any problems with random reboots or latency with the guide or search functions. I have only had these a couple times, others have had it worse from what I have heard and read here, so I can't really say if these problems were solved or not for sure.

If I do notice anything else or hear anything from my friends I will post it. I will ask a couple people at work tomorrow that have different boxes than mine if they notice any difference.
post #459 of 18919 Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane75 View Post

I live in Lincoln and I also have an 8300HD DVR. I just check my version and it says
ptv V 6.14.80.3sp. Wed Dec 20 2006. and I haven't seen anything different. There is supposed to be a big update for Friday. We'll see what happens.

So...did anyone get the "big update" on Friday???

--Jayhawk
post #460 of 18919 Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

So...did anyone get the "big update" on Friday???

I don't think I got an update on Friday. The software versions still said the same thing. I haven't had any problems with it locking up without rebooting. At one point it took me 9 mins to go to a channel in the guide hit record and go to another channel. It should have took 9 sec. at the most. The interface still looks the same and it still doesn't tell you if a program is new.

In a nutshell, performance has improved for me, but that's about all. I don't know if it was from an update or not.
post #461 of 18919 Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM

I got the update last week, and have not noticed much of an improvement. I had it reboot right after the new software was loading by just moving around in the guide. I don't notice any improvements in the speed, everything still seems very sluggish.
post #462 of 18919 Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM

does the interface look like the one in the Navigator PDF link that someone posted?
post #463 of 18919 Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM

General consensus from friends with Navigator here in Lincoln: nothing has changed significantly.
post #464 of 18919 Old 02-27-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post

General consensus from friends with Navigator here in Lincoln: nothing has changed significantly.

Kind of the same reaction I got. Most everyone I talked to didn't even know an update went through. Like I said in an earlier post I can't testify to whether or not it solved the lag problems and stuff.
post #465 of 18919 Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Does anyone know if you will be able to connect an external SATA drive and retain all functionality with Navigator? I'm on Passport right now and I don't want to lose the live TV DVR functions, hence no SATA drive yet.
post #466 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Did the City Council meeting happen yesterday? Did anybody here attend? How did it go?

It has been pretty quiet around here lately, is it safe to assume that the major problems with Navigator have been fixed? Or has everyone left the room to sign up for satellite already?

What are the problems and annoyances that you are still having with Navigator? I think we should start compiling a list. Maybe the figure that TWC quoted about 85% of the complaints have gone away is because everyone already called in their issues once, and as much fun as that was, don't want to continue banging their head against the wall if they don't have to keep calling every week to complain about the same issues over again.

I want to help make sure the problems get fixed before Navigator spreads to my area. By the way, in case no one has said so already, thanks for being the involuntary guinea pigs for this beta testing. The rest of the nation won't know all the pain and suffering that you have been going through, but the ones of us who are reading your horror stories here do see it and appreciate it. Thanks,

Kat.
post #467 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKat View Post

Did the City Council meeting happen yesterday? Did anybody here attend? How did it go?

They had the meeting last night. Here is an article about it.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007...3858046256.txt
post #468 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Man, TWC has got to be hating this now. I was reading through the user comments on the article, and there was one in there that stood out, only because it seems so patently wrong and has nothing to back it up. Specifically, one of the posters says that Navigator is open source software and that TWC is just using it. I thought TWC developed Navigator in house? Of course, Navigator could be open source and TWC just has engineers working on it, but a quick Google search revealed nothing about Navigator as open source (discounting the hits about Netscape Navigator).
post #469 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

The article says the new guide has been rolled out in Charlotte, NC but I haven't seen it. I contacted my TWC office and this is the response I got.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. The Navigator is the end user interface. Passport
is
the Operating System of the digital receivers. This is not changing.

What am I supposed to make of that?

post #470 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJshay View Post

The article says the new guide has been rolled out in Charlotte, NC but I haven't seen it. I contacted my TWC office and this is the response I got.

"Thanks for the reply. The Navigator is the end user interface. Passport
is the Operating System of the digital receivers. This is not changing."

What am I supposed to make of that?

That they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.
post #471 of 18919 Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmotwcuser View Post

Not jumping all over you and I am sorry I didn't review all your other posts before commenting about your version. I stand corrected.

I have a friend who is a TWC employee and he has told me that Daylight Savings Time is the driving force for the rush to upgrade to Navigator. They would not have had to pay Passport for the release that supports the new Daylight Savings Dates, if the Navigator launch had gone as planned. Passport has that hard coded in the software and it would not change the time on the box or adjust all your recording schedules. I am sure we all agree this is silly since we just had the Y2K issues and that they should have learned not to hard code dates but it is also smart of Passport's part, you have to pay for a patch to fix it. Get you one way or another.

But you will have either Navigator or Passport 2.6.002 before the time change. Cross your fingers it is Passport.

I wonder(unfortunately) if that is the same for us in TWC Motorola markets???? Will iGuide support this years DST or will we also be forced onto Navigator(OCAP Version)????
post #472 of 18919 Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 AM

Just got another response from TWC here in Charlotte and they said there are no plans to change the guide at this time.

post #473 of 18919 Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I wonder(unfortunately) if that is the same for us in TWC Motorola markets???? Will iGuide support this years DST or will we also be forced onto Navigator(OCAP Version)????

Yeah--I was wondering when they'll deploy in Los Angeles. I had Moxi, and really liked it, but needed more space and went with the 3416/iGuide DVR. The interface sux, but I do love the increased capacity.
post #474 of 18919 Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post

Yeah--I was wondering when they'll deploy in Los Angeles. I had Moxi, and really liked it, but needed more space and went with the 3416/iGuide DVR. The interface sux, but I do love the increased capacity.

Same boat here in VC. I had my MOXI replaced in October with a 6416.
post #475 of 18919 Old 03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

That brings up a question nobody has mentioned that I've really been wondering... If Navigator will leave the eSATA port on the 8300 enabled for the external hard drive.

And... GASP, might trick play even work?
post #476 of 18919 Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

That brings up a question nobody has mentioned that I've really been wondering... If Navigator will leave the eSATA port on the 8300 enabled for the external hard drive.

There have been reports that the eSATA does work with Navigator - not sure about "trick play" though.

Dave Hancock
post #477 of 18919 Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

Yeah, you're right. No one has mentioned that question. I was just joking when I posted before in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesake View Post

Does anyone know if you will be able to connect an external SATA drive and retain all functionality with Navigator? I'm on Passport right now and I don't want to lose the live TV DVR functions, hence no SATA drive yet.

post #478 of 18919 Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Wireless member

Many people complain about losing "live trick play", but I don't think anyone, once they've expanded their storage, would consider giving it up. For myself, other than the Today Show and CNN, all programming is recorded and watched (sans commercials) when *we* chose to watch it.
post #479 of 18919 Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Many people complain about losing "live trick play", but I don't think anyone, once they've expanded their storage, would consider giving it up. For myself, other than the Today Show and CNN, all programming is recorded and watched (sans commercials) when *we* chose to watch it.

Well, I find that I lean very heavily on the whole pause thing, I do it very frequently. That bug would kill me.

Yes, I know all about the workaround, but I have also seen 2 instances where I did exactly what the workaround supposedly was only to find that I "lost" content that I thought it was taking care of ( the workaround was to hit the record button rather than pause, twice I did that and found it only recorded from the start of the program until the time I HIT the record button).

Basically, having the external drive means having more stuff stored. Which can be thought of as having a larger choice when you sit down to watch stuff.

So I decided that I hated the trick play bug AND I have experience that the "workaround" for it sure will not function the way I want. Only choice was to be more aggressive about watching what was stored. Which means never letting it fill up with much more than a dozen hours of HD.

I suspect the big difference Pepar and I went different directions is that he rarely if ever watches live and I like to watch live. Neither is "more correct" than the other. I am NOT saying my way is better, just explaining how I arrived at my way in case someone else may find it their way.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as I know this bug is squashed, I'm buying external storage. More to choose from is "better" than less, especially if one doesn't have to pay the price I would have had to pay.

post #480 of 18919 Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Wireless member

I believe I remember reading a post of two where the member had TWO 8300HD's - one with an external drive and one without - one for archiving and one for live.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page