post #991 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

That is your opinion, but OCAP certainly opens the door for more options even if they are offered/controlled by the cableco. No longer does stuff have to work strickly on SA/Moto/whatever headends and the door will open to multiple options, like Tivo, depending on what you want to pay. If you want a basic IPG, it may be included. If you want something more robust, it may be an added cost option. Also, with continued integration of the internet, what keeps someone from offering an OCAP-capable box that gets it's guide data via the internet and takes cable out as the middle man? I don't think we'll see much, if anything, though until DCAS. I still see the CC-enable units as an interim and why should retailers dive in before they know exactly what the future holds?

OCAP allows the cable cartel to control the user experience, which is the thing that really determines the usefulness of a device, not the hardware. If the OCAP software supplied by the cable cartel in your area doesn't support firewire, ethernet, etc. then it won't matter if the hardware vendor puts it on there. So to answer your question, the cable cartel will keep someone from offering an OCAP-capable box that gets it's guide data via the internet.

The only way OCAP will encourage competition is if the cable companies carry any OCAP certified software and let me pick which one I want to use. They can continue to provide their mediocre software and let those who want pick different software to run (and pay extra or not depending on the financial terms of the deals with the various software companies).

You know, the cable cartel has had a decade to come up with a reasonable solution to the FCC mandates. They spent all their time complaining and then coming up with two bad solutions to the problem (CableCard and OCAP). Maybe DCAS is the answer, but with the cable cartel dragging it's feet the whole way it'll be another decade before we see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, I'm pissed and it isn't Navigator. SARA missed the Series Finale of Studio 60 while I was on vacation this week. This isn't the first time it randomly decided to just miss a show either. It really irks me because I know I did nothing wrong. In fact, it's been recording the series all along, even through the shows crippling hiatus that ultimately got it canned. It's really, REALLY annoying when this happens. I was looking forward to how the show ended too! Now, I have to watch it on my computer instead of my IN72 ... BOOOOO!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #993 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Well, I'm pissed and it isn't Navigator. SARA missed the Series Finale of Studio 60 while I was on vacation this week. This isn't the first time it randomly decided to just miss a show either. It really irks me because I know I did nothing wrong. In fact, it's been recording the series all along, even through the shows crippling hiatus that ultimately got it canned. It's really, REALLY annoying when this happens. I was looking forward to how the show ended too! Now, I have to watch it on my computer instead of my IN72 ... BOOOOO!

Well, I'm in the next major city west of you and our SARA caught it fine (watched it delayed about 15 min).

Sorry to see that show go.

Dave Hancock
post #994 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Well, I'm in the next major city west of you and our SARA caught it fine (watched it delayed about 15 min).

Mine got it to, but that doesn't help Ben. I suspect there was a Title problem in the IPG or something like that.

Quote:

Sorry to see that show go.

Me too, but I can see why it didn't survive.

Cheers, Dave
post #995 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
(Copied from Customer Service Thread since no one goes there anymore

Here in TWC-Milwaukee,

We haven't had any major problems for several years. In the 20 years I have had cable, we had maybe 5 service calls and two of them were to replace buggy digital boxes. Only one tech seemed incompetent. I don't have Navigator, just a regular Pioneer digital box, and it has worked great for the past 5 years.

Customer Service has had longer hold times because of the gradual change-over to Navigator, which i know almost everybody hates, so I am not looking forward to that. When I did get a run around regarding a digital box's operation, I was able to get a supervisor AND a senior tech to come out to the house and they were most helpful and supportive.

Have any of you tried the call back feature if your local TWC office has that, rather than waiting on hold? Supposedly, you can keep your place in line and get a call back in approximately the same number of minutes that you would have had to wait on hold? I haven't used TWC call back service yet, but was wondering if you had? What about E-mail and on-line chat with a tech? We also have those other options here in Milwaukee.

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #996 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an update: I'm even MORE PO'd now. After reviewing my entire week of recordings it seems my DVR missed Rescue Me and the season finale of The Real Deal as well! WTF!!! I went to my recorded list and checked scheduled recordings and it was empty. I then rebooted my box and it seems to have fixed everything, but what an annoyance! Luckily, I can catch a re-run of Real Deal and Rescue Me, but now instead of watching the series finale of Studio 60 in HD, I'll be stuck watching it on my PC. This crap coupled with the lousy record times (some shows cut off the end and others run for ten minutes extra!) has me thinking about looking for other DVR options and this will happen if Navigator gets dumped upon us and has more issues than these!

post #997 of 18921 Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BenJF3,

What version of SARA do you have?

Have you checked the signal levels that you are getting? If they are not in the correct range they can cause problems. The first post in the SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA thread has information about signal levels and a link to SA Diagnostic Screens Explained. Also, it has a lot of other good information about SARA.
post #998 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

BenJF3,

Have you checked the signal levels that you are getting? If they are not in the correct range they can cause problems. The first post in the SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA thread has information about signal levels and a link to SA Diagnostic Screens Explained. Also, it has a lot of other good information about SARA.

Hasn't there been a few posts where this has happened with a software upgrade? It seems to me others have complained about their schedules and recordings being messed up too after the cableco did something. Obviously, it was something more than just a Title problem.

Cheers, Dave
post #999 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BenJF3,

I will check this out today and post back later. I know that I have had signal issues in the past where most HD and some digital channels were not coming in (Black Screen). I will go into my software and get the SARA version number and post it here as well as signal levels for comparison. I have requested a drop amp from TWC because of the weak signal, but always get the run around.

Quick background: I am the only run coming off the drop which is underground and right out front of my house. The drop comes into the TWC junction box and goes through a grounding barrel, then into the crawl space and distributed by an eight way splitter. The are six tv's running off the splitter, one cable/voip modem, and my computer TV card/PVR. There are no empty outlets and the TV tuner PCI card gets horrible reception. All the wiring was installed by TWC before I moved in by the previous owner. Since TWC is not being responsive, I was going to pick up an Electroline Drop Amp off eBay and install it myself. If it wasn't such an undertaking, I'd see about running a second drop from the node out front because no other homes will be using it (I'm on a corner and everyone else is across the street). I personally think a powered two drop amp would be the easiest solution if the signal level issue is causing problems.

Thanks to everyone that is helping out and I'll get the info and post back a little later with it.

Ben

OK, here is what I see:

Software Version OS, Home Server Edition 1.8
SARA 1.89.17.1

On Page 1
Tuner 1 shows -13dBmv
FDC = - 7
RDC = 44

Current FDC = -7 S/N = 27
Current RDC = 44
Current QAM = -13 S/N = -31

I don't know if this is helpful or not and appreciate any info/help you guys can offer. Thanks!

post #1000 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You have a pretty current version of SARA so I don't think that is the problem.

The signal levels for Current QAM and S/N are not within the correct range. You should try to get TWC to check the signals and install an amplifier if needed. Some cable companies charge for installing an amplifier and some do it for free. If the signal is not clean, then an amplifier may create additional problems. I think an amplifier will probably be needed but I am not a cable tech. The cable/voip modem should not go through the amplifier but be split off before the amplifier. All the other cables should be run off the powered amplifier. Make sure the amplifier is for digital cable and that it supports the capability to return a signal to the cable company. The use of splitters should be minimized.

Quote:

I will check this out today and post back later. I know that I have had signal issues in the past where most HD and some digital channels were not coming in (Black Screen). I will go into my software and get the SARA version number and post it here as well as signal levels for comparison. I have requested a drop amp from TWC because of the weak signal, but always get the run around.

Quick background: I am the only run coming off the drop which is underground and right out front of my house. The drop comes into the TWC junction box and goes through a grounding barrel, then into the crawl space and distributed by an eight way splitter. The are six tv's running off the splitter, one cable/voip modem, and my computer TV card/PVR. There are no empty outlets and the TV tuner PCI card gets horrible reception. All the wiring was installed by TWC before I moved in by the previous owner. Since TWC is not being responsive, I was going to pick up an Electroline Drop Amp off eBay and install it myself. If it wasn't such an undertaking, I'd see about running a second drop from the node out front because no other homes will be using it (I'm on a corner and everyone else is across the street). I personally think a powered two drop amp would be the easiest solution if the signal level issue is causing problems.

Thanks to everyone that is helping out and I'll get the info and post back a little later with it.

Ben

OK, here is what I see:

Software Version OS, Home Server Edition 1.8
SARA 1.89.17.1

On Page 1
Tuner 1 shows -13dBmv
FDC = - 7
RDC = 44

Current FDC = -7 S/N = 27
Current RDC = 44
Current QAM = -13 S/N = -31

I don't know if this is helpful or not and appreciate any info/help you guys can offer. Thanks!

post #1001 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Make sure the amplifier is for digital cable and that it supports the capability to return a signal to the cable company. The use of splitters should be minimized.

An amp won't really help in this case - the S/N is horrible. You can't amplify just the signal - it will amplify the noise too.

Likely this is an ingress issue and needs to be debugged. The process to do this is running a cable straight from the outside box at the curb to the STB, then from the first place it comes into the house etc. Keep going until the bad section of cable is identified. A good tech will do this for you. A bad one will not - but if you have the S/N screen up when they come you will have a better chance. Of course you can try to do as much yourself as possible by getting a long cable, or moving you STB around with a small TV.

xnappo
post #1002 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Electroline makes a drop amp that will provide each set with the same signal level that comes from the box outside and will work the cable/voip modem. It is a two way system and I've read great things about it. If I recall, the last tech said I has a signal of 12db coming in. I will talk to TWC about it and see what can be done. I could also have a bad splitter. I will try to send the input of the splitter directly to the box (bypassing the splitter) and repost my findings. Can someone give me an idea of what "acceptable" levels would be?

Here is the amp I'm looking at:

Electroline Amp/Splitter

post #1003 of 18921 Old 06-30-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The first post in the SARA Tips thread has level info. I assume you can find that thread. If not, see my signature.

Cheers, Dave
post #1004 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The amp looks good. You or the cable company should verify the cable being used in the house is for digital cable not old cable that was used for analog cable service. Several years ago, when I first started using VOD, the cable company replaced all the cables in the house, replaced the splitters to be compatible with digital cable, and reduced the number of splitters. About a year later, they installed an amplifier for the entire house. This was shortly before I got my DVRs and because of this I think I have had fewer problems with my DVRs than what most other people report. I agree with xnappo that you need to have a clean signal before you amplify it.

Quote:

Well, Electroline makes a drop amp that will provide each set with the same signal level that comes from the box outside and will work the cable/voip modem. It is a two way system and I've read great things about it. If I recall, the last tech said I has a signal of 12db coming in. I will talk to TWC about it and see what can be done. I could also have a bad splitter. I will try to send the input of the splitter directly to the box (bypassing the splitter) and repost my findings. Can someone give me an idea of what "acceptable" levels would be?

Here is the amp I'm looking at:

Electroline Amp/Splitter

post #1005 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, All the runs are RG-6 BrightWire and I believe the signal coming from the node is good. I honestly think the eight way splitter is putting a hurtin' on the level. I may call and have a tech come out and ask him what the level is at the node and then what it is at the input side of the splitter. Possibly change out the splitter and check the grounding barrel too. I guess the way I see it is that I pay TWC $140 a month for my services and I should be having no problems with them. I feel as though they should fix it.

post #1006 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely they should fix it as long as they installed the 8-way splitter and the problem is not somewhere in the house (unless you pay their inside fee too).

Cheers, Dave
post #1007 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Time Warner has free service calls here and when I turned on my service the tech metered each of the eight lines and said the signal was in the "acceptable" range. However, this was before any of my phone service or DVR was added. I don't have a problem adding my own amp if I have to, but it would be nice if they provided it. Back when I used to do service work for a TV repair company, Adelphia/Harron Cable was the provider and used to tell their customers that they only supply enough signal to each home to support a 4 way split. Of course this was about 15 years ago, but it has me wondering what the cut off is for signal strength nowadays.

post #1008 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a good question, Ben, and has probably changed quite a bit. I've always tried to limit my inside splits to 2, but never paid much attention to how things were done outside. An 8-way split seems like an awful lot to me, but then I only have a 4-way outside. I did have a double 2-way when I first got my HDTV and DVR. I had problems, so I reconfigured so there was only a 2-way and all has been fine since.

Cheers, Dave
post #1009 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, it's only one splitter. The home was wired for cable in every room and was like that when I bought the house. The fact is, over the past year I added DVR service, HD cable and upgraded digital service. I'm sure this has something to do with my issues.

post #1010 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course this was about 15 years ago, but it has me wondering what the cut off is for signal strength nowadays.

One thing that has really changed is the frequencies that the cable companies are now using. Those splitters may have only been good for 500MHz, cable today is using 750MHz-1GHz.

Dave Hancock
post #1011 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the splitter is a two way digital as well. Like I said, I will check with Time Warner and see what becomes of it.

post #1012 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the splitter is a two way digital as well. Like I said, I will check with Time Warner and see what becomes of it.

The "digital"labelmeans nothing (nice marketing term). But, having TW resolve it is usually the best approach (they are pretty competent 90 miles to your west).

Dave Hancock
post #1013 of 18921 Old 07-01-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I was implying that is is digital compatible in terms of frequency 54 - 1000. Sorry for the confusion. I will give them a call tomorrow and see when a tech can come out.

post #1014 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Excuse me.Do not mean to offend anyone but this is the Navigator forum.We seem to be getting off track.Anyone with any new NAVIGATOR news?
post #1015 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Excuse me.Do not mean to offend anyone but this is the Navigator forum.We seem to be getting off track.Anyone with any new NAVIGATOR news?

No news here in Charlotte, but the link to the Navigator page at twc.com is back up. http://www.timewarnercable.com/charl...ble/navigator/ It had been removed, so something is obviously stirring. I watched some of the 411 channel over the weekend thinking that there might be something there, and the guide they used in the instruction videos didn't lool anything like my Passport, so I don't know if it was Navigator or not. And I don't know what SARA looks like, so that could have been the guide.

post #1016 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well it's July Navigator is showing up in Raleigh and it seems Charlotte is being prepped.Only thing I can say is us SARA users better watch out for August and September here.Do not know what it means but a banner saying Time Warner test pattern has been on a couple of my channels a couple of times.
post #1017 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

News Flash-Understand a Time Warner EXEC told a division managers meeting that Navigator has a thumbs up to launch to all divisions.
post #1018 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Well it's July Navigator is showing up in Raleigh and it seems Charlotte is being prepped.Only thing I can say is us SARA users better watch out for August and September here.Do not know what it means but a banner saying Time Warner test pattern has been on a couple of my channels a couple of times.

My source at TWC tells me that any boxes going out with Navigator should not be and are probably beta boxes that have been returned but not re-loaded with Passport. Apparently there were over 1000 bugs reported during the beta period. Navigator should be postponed for several months before an actual widespread roll-out in Raleigh.

Ted
post #1019 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, they better be damn sure that it's working properly. I expect a few bugs with anything new, but after the Lincoln debacle they should make sure this thing is going to work. I for one, hope it has the touted features, especially the channel mapping and guide editing. Nothing is more of a pain than having to scroll through the guide to see the same channels 5 times over in different tiers. Well see, but I figure that since I'm on SARA it won't happen until a little later so everyone else gets to be the guinea pig! To everyone out there, please keep us posted as things roll out in your respective divisions. I'm in the Central New York/Syracuse Market and its pretty big now (even covers Utica) so anything that happens I will post.

post #1020 of 18921 Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Have bugs ever stopped TWC from launching a product yet.They launch and fix and the customer be d**ed.
Reply HDTV Recorders