Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I just received a reply from the head of public relations in our division:

We do offer the SA8300HDC DVR -- as you probably know, that's the new
box that includes built-in CableCard technology.

And, we're on tap to add the new Navigator program guide in the first
quarter of 2008, pending ongoing and successful tests and deployments in
other locations... it offers much better
browsing and functional capabilities!

Seems they are still "testing" the software on others so I would like to thank the guinea pigs out there and hope that by the time we see it here all will be fine!

Absolutely critical question... do you run SARA? I think SDV compatibility is critical, we "know" SARA has it and Passport does not. TWC was clear Navigator was going to Passport areas first, so assuming you now have SARA, you should be happy for a quarter one, 2008 rollout of Navigator.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I have had to reboot my SARA enabled box before to get my scheduled programs back. However, I feel this is a real hassle and the customer shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops just to get the thing to work as advertised. This is especially true when you are paying close to $150 a month for services from the cable company! I can't figure out why the vendors just don't contract out with Tivo and make a standardized DVR system. I bet most customers would pay a couple more bucks a month to have a fully functional guide. I can't imagine it being too difficult to produce an STB that was capable of this.

Long ago I felt that TiVos best move was to license their software to the cable guys. I'm sure discussions have occurred and I can only speculate that they wanted more money than the cable guys were willing to give up.

post #1173 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Let's face it. Programmers today either do not know how, or are provided no incentive to generate memory efficient code. So today's software does not work efficiently on yesterday's hardware. This applies to cable boxes as well as computers (I'm in the process of buying a new desktop because the drivers on a new printer that I purchased are so damn inefficient that it is now a real pain to make a print). Efficient machine code is a thing of the (distant) past.

Oh boy is that the truth! It's partly laziness due to the fact that memory is just so damn cheap now-a-days.

Another Vista sale m$ can crow about, right?

post #1174 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Long ago I felt that TiVos best move was to license their software to the cable guys. I'm sure discussions have occurred and I can only speculate that they wanted more money than the cable guys were willing to give up.

Not all the cable guys! Comcast is launching OCAP TIVO soon:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/29...ocap-software/

Since they ported it to OCAP at least there is a chance we will get it someday.

xnappo
post #1175 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM

I just currently go the 8300HD-DVR box with my digital cable, and periodically my picture freezes and pixelates. It only does it on HD channels and premium channels like showtime. I have a tech coming out tonight to check it out, but I had one come out last week to check signal strength and he amped my signal even though he said it checked plenty strong enough. I know of one other person in the area who is having the exact same problem. Does anyone here know if this would be a box problem or what other things could cause this? It will do it for a short time and then stop, and it just varies from when it will do it. I can watch for 2 hours and see nothing, and then all of a sudden it starts and will last a few minutes. Desperately looking for some answers. I am located in Shelby, NC. Thanks.
post #1176 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Let's face it. Programmers today either do not know how, or are provided no incentive to generate memory efficient code. So today's software does not work efficiently on yesterday's hardware. This applies to cable boxes as well as computers (I'm in the process of buying a new desktop because the drivers on a new printer that I purchased are so damn inefficient that it is now a real pain to make a print). Efficient machine code is a thing of the (distant) past.

I think the navigator software is java based (it shows the java logo upon bootup, but that could be misleading) - java programs are much harder to write efficiently than native applications. Don't get me wrong, writing fast java applications is possible, it's just that the time needed to make a java application efficient is usually more time than a company wants to spend on a project (for budget reasons). Remember: Good, Fast, Cheap (Pick any two). The suits sure like fast & cheap.
post #1177 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers07 View Post

I just currently go the 8300HD-DVR box with my digital cable, and periodically my picture freezes and pixelates. It only does it on HD channels and premium channels like showtime. I have a tech coming out tonight to check it out, but I had one come out last week to check signal strength and he amped my signal even though he said it checked plenty strong enough. I know of one other person in the area who is having the exact same problem. Does anyone here know if this would be a box problem or what other things could cause this? It will do it for a short time and then stop, and it just varies from when it will do it. I can watch for 2 hours and see nothing, and then all of a sudden it starts and will last a few minutes. Desperately looking for some answers. I am located in Shelby, NC. Thanks.

I'm in Charlotte and that happens to me occasionally too. I usually just reboot and it fixes it for a while, but it keeps happening but not enough for me to call cust service.

post #1178 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Have you tried unplugging the box for about 10 minutes and than plugging it back in, allowing the system to reboot. The 10 second time that TWC often gives you in their "phone scripts" is often not enough time to get bad data out, if bad data is the problem. What model box is this? Standard Digital? HD? DVR? or DVR HD? Try the above first. But leave it unplugged for 10 minutes.

Jack

That was a great idea, so I gave it a whirl. The darn thing still will not record any series at all whether I set repeats or new shows only. I think I will swap out the box tommorrow. My other 8300HD never did this. It used the passport software, while this navigator software isn't starting out well for me
post #1179 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

BINGO! This has been HEATEDLY discussed many times over the years.

The only reason SARA and others have some of the options they do is that they've licensed SOME stuff from Tivo. However, with Tvio generating their S3/S3Lite and porting to the Moto/SA units, there is no little chance that Tivo will lower their licensing fees, so cable units will have to look to newer 3rd party applications or design their own as TWC is doing.

Also, with the way Tivo operates, there is little incentive for cable to embrace them too much and lose the DVR revenue to them. I've heard that cable gets about $1/sub for the ported software and Tivo gets the rest. If you were a cableco which wouyld you push, your's for full profit or theirs for a buck?

Cheers, Dave
post #1180 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Not all the cable guys! Comcast is launching OCAP TIVO soon:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/29...ocap-software/

Since they ported it to OCAP at least there is a chance we will get it someday.

xnappo

And here I thought Tivo was saying cable was rolling out OCAP just to foil them. If this is true, then I'm not sure why all the effort on the Tivo port that still isn't available. I sure hope they haven't mixed up the versions or maybe the OCAP version is what they were working on all along (which would make sense to me). If Tivo hits the market with an OCAP-compatible unit, I wonder if that would mean it will work with SDV?

Cheers, Dave
post #1181 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brboot View Post

I traded in my older 8300HD because of HDMI issues that were occuring. I received the new 8300HDC with navigator software. It does have a few nice new features like the percentage of disk full and what HD programs are occuring at the current time. Other than that it is slooooooowwwwwww. I have had it a week and now it will not record any program through a series recording. It will record a program if I specfically select the program to record. Has anyone seen this behaviour with the 8300hdc? So far I have not been impressed with this new navigator, I want my old passport back :-)

I just got my 8300HDC (Raleigh, NC) and thought is was not all that bad, but now I am having the same problem as you are above. No series recording will work. I am having the additional problem of not being able to set a series pass using search, I can only set one from the guide by finding the program and doing it there. Once the series record is set, it shows no upcoming programs to be recorded, yet I can find them in the guide.

If I search for dateline (or anything for that matter) in the search, it does not show up. It looks like ONLY on demand programs are in my search. Someone else in Raleigh use the search (hit the b button twice) and see if anything shows up on the left side that is not On Demand programming.

This is unreal, how can they release this thing with this kind of bug? I would have to find each program I want to record in the guide manually....
post #1182 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfb8zs View Post

This is unreal, how can they release this thing with this kind of bug? I would have to find each program I want to record in the guide manually....

I guess they figure since Microsoft did it, they will too!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #1183 of 18826 Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I just got my 8300HDC (Raleigh, NC) and thought is was not all that bad, but now I am having the same problem as you are above. No series recording will work. I am having the additional problem of not being able to set a series pass using search, I can only set one from the guide by finding the program and doing it there. Once the series record is set, it shows no upcoming programs to be recorded, yet I can find them in the guide.

If I search for dateline (or anything for that matter) in the search, it does not show up. It looks like ONLY on demand programs are in my search. Someone else in Raleigh use the search (hit the b button twice) and see if anything shows up on the left side that is not On Demand programming.

Just got off the phone with Time Warner, and they are unaware of the problem. Guy was nice and helpful and understood what the problem was when I explained it. They are sending someone out Monday (best they could do with my schedule).

Just to recap what he and I discussed, there seems to be a guide problem, the guide is not recognizing any guide data except the On Demand channels. This seems to be what is killing the series recordings.
post #1184 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Just got off the phone with Time Warner, and they are unaware of the problem. Guy was nice and helpful and understood what the problem was when I explained it. They are sending someone out Monday (best they could do with my schedule).

Just to recap what he and I discussed, there seems to be a guide problem, the guide is not recognizing any guide data except the On Demand channels. This seems to be what is killing the series recordings.

Let us know the outcome. Sounds like you got lucky and got someone good on the phone. It will be interesting to see if the person that comes out does something other than swapping out your box which sounds like it will happen again.
I wonder why you can select a program in the guide and manually select to record it and that works?
post #1185 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:

I also only see on demand programming in the guide when I try and do a search.
post #1186 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 AM

On Passport, rewind/fast forward of live TV doesn't work when the DVR is using an add-on eSATA drive. Passport always records to the drive with the most available space, so when you add a 500GB eSATA drive, you are almost assured it will be used solely. Does anyone know if this rewind/fast forward issue is fixed in Navigator?

Raleigh, NCĀ 

Sony KDL-60NX720

TWC 8742HDC

post #1187 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcage View Post

On Passport, rewind/fast forward of live TV doesn't work when the DVR is using an add-on eSATA drive. Passport always records to the drive with the most available space, so when you add a 500GB eSATA drive, you are almost assured it will be used solely. Does anyone know if this rewind/fast forward issue is fixed in Navigator?

Yeah that seems to work now. I can hit pause and rewind with the esata drive. However I am now having a problem where it stutters when playing from the esata drive. Sigh
post #1188 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brboot View Post

Yeah that seems to work now. I can hit pause and rewind with the esata drive. However I am now having a problem where it stutters when playing from the esata drive. Sigh

What drive/case do you have? Is it time for a Navigator database (see my sig)??

xnappo
post #1189 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers07 View Post

I've followed this issue for a while now... the evidence points me almost never to the cable box or whether you have an external HD. IMO, it seems to be a symptom of bandwidth starving. The incidence of this kind of stuff went way up when the last new HD channels we got in my market (6/14 to be exact). I had the occasional glitch, but never with such frequency that I got annoyed. Last night I watched a concert that I DVRed around 4 AM, a time when bandwidth demand HAD to be the lowest. Over a dozen major noticeable glitches in 60 minutes.

Yes, there COULD be issues in the wiring, in the signal strength, in the S/N ratio contributing to it. What I'm pretty sure of is none of those is an issue for me. Which leads me to the starved bandwidth theory.

post #1190 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there COULD be issues in the wiring, in the signal strength, in the S/N ratio contributing to it. What I'm pretty sure of is none of those is an issue for me. Which leads me to the starved bandwidth theory.

I never see this issue now that my S/N is good. Why not go in the diags when you are seeing glitches and be absolutely sure rather than pretty sure?

xnappo
post #1191 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

And here I thought Tivo was saying cable was rolling out OCAP just to foil them. If this is true, then I'm not sure why all the effort on the Tivo port that still isn't available. I sure hope they haven't mixed up the versions or maybe the OCAP version is what they were working on all along (which would make sense to me). If Tivo hits the market with an OCAP-compatible unit, I wonder if that would mean it will work with SDV?

I think SDV is FAR, FAR more important to all of us than OCAP. My overall service is pretty horrible (glitching) right after the last HD channel got added. Not to mention that in one of the largest media capitals in the country, we get the worst HD lineup... right now it's 15 channels and it should be more like 12 to deliver a far better overall experience (we were 12 4-5 months ago and had very few of those glitches that we see way too frequently now).

So I just can't even consider TiVo to be in the game until it tells me about SDV.

post #1192 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never see this issue now that my S/N is good. Why not go in the diags when you are seeing glitches and be absolutely sure rather than pretty sure?

xnappo

Good point, but I have fairly frequently looked at the S/N, and have never seen it get below 32. It usually runs around 32-33, just checked it, 33 and 36 (one for each tuner). Of course, checking it when watching a recorded program...

An additional bit of "evidence" I didn't mention is that the exact same thing is happening to a good buddy who has similar service, but gets his stuff from a different head end (same city, same Manhattan borough). After a year of my convincing, he went HD right as the last HD channel got added. He didn't watch that much before, but was very annoyed with the glitching. He's had the techs out at least twice, they find fine signal strength and S/N within specs.

Same issue, different head ends sure does lead to a more systematic issue, don't you think?

post #1193 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Last night I watched a concert that I DVRed around 4 AM, a time when bandwidth demand HAD to be the lowest. Over a dozen major noticeable glitches in 60 minutes..

How does this example reinforce your theory of bandwidth starving?

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1194 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know of any SARA area that have started receiveing Navigator yet? SARA 1.89.17.1 Greensboro NC
post #1195 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Does anyone know of any SARA area that have started receiveing Navigator yet? SARA 1.89.17.1 Greensboro NC

I don't think so. Several of the Navigator sitings have been in Passport areas when the SA8300HDC (CableCard version) is rolled out. SARA areas have been getting 1.90.xx.xx software with the HDCs.

But we are all watching with trepidation.

Dave Hancock
post #1196 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I just got my 2nd notice for Navigator in the mail...

1st one i got many months ago said by July 1st, now this new updated one says in the next 6 months!

:rofl:

At least they are nice enough to not let us suffer in Kansas I still have passport for now...

-SiGGy
post #1197 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:

What drive/case do you have? Is it time for a Navigator database (see my sig)??

xnappo

It's a azio ENC311SU41 and the drive is a 300 gig maxtor diamondmax
post #1198 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think SDV is FAR, FAR more important to all of us than OCAP. My overall service is pretty horrible (glitching) right after the last HD channel got added. Not to mention that in one of the largest media capitals in the country, we get the worst HD lineup... right now it's 15 channels and it should be more like 12 to deliver a far better overall experience (we were 12 4-5 months ago and had very few of those glitches that we see way too frequently now).

So I just can't even consider TiVo to be in the game until it tells me about SDV.

I don't disagree, at least for the relatively short term, but OCAP should mean that the DVR will go mainstream and become available as just another piece of A/V equipment. This will stablize things and make it better for everyone.

I know you think SDV will solve your PQ issues, and maybe it will if they are rate shaping or something, but I suspect that bandwidth has little, if anything, to do with it, unless they stuffed 3 channels into the space of the normal 2 + subs. Even then, that kind of thing should only affect the channels involved and not the whole HD spectrum. One would have to check the bitrate for all 15 channels to see what the issues might be and then it is probably the channel itself, not the cableco causing problems.

We currently get 21 HD channels and several SD sub-channels, but they are ALL passed at whatever bandwidth is provided to the cableco. Our cableco does nothing but QAM modulate them for broadcast. If they get 18Mbps, they pass 18Mbps. If they get 15Mbps, they pass 15Mbps. I could be wrong, but I think you'll find the same thing. One would have to compare OTA bitrate to cable bitrate to verify all this. Makes for an interesting discussion either way.

Cheers, Dave
post #1199 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Efficient machine code is a thing of the (distant) past

I resent that - I'm a software developer and I still write very efficient code.
post #1200 of 18826 Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any info on the SARA 1.90 software.Is there any difference from 1,89.Any info would be appreciated.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page