Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 431 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #12901 of 18760 Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just on TWC's website and realized that I have remote DVR management and did not even realize it. AND it has a verson of keyword seardh. BUT wait for it........

It doesn't seem to work. I did a search for "Formula One" and it did not bring up anything. Even though I already have a show scheduled for next Friday.

I tried it out for a bit. It works similar to the current guide. Shows your current scheduled shows but does not have anything on series recordings. Show info in the guide seems to be different, maybe shorter. My DVR is identified by what appears to be its MAC address.

CORRECTION: You can set up a series recording but I haven't found a way to edit existing series recording or set priorities.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 18760 Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

CORRECTION: You can set up a series recording but I haven't found a way to edit existing series recording or set priorities.

In the full version, you can edit all of the series options EXCEPT priority for an existing series from the Show List or a show marked with REC in the grid. If you click on either one, the entry expands and shows a bunch of options, including "Edit Recording" (if its a series, you get the series options... if its a singleton, you get the standard record options). I haven't found any way to change priorities, though.

From the mobile version your options are much more limited.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #12903 of 18760 Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

What I wish it would do is recogize that the recording has been interupted and look for the new time that episode is on and schedule it to record. This happens to me once or twice a year. I record some early morning shows on Adult Swim. Of course this is when TW delivers updates and we also get the occasional power outage in the middle of the night. For the most part Adult Swim shows the same schedule twice a night, once from 10pm to 2am and then again from 2 to 6 am. So the repeat is right there but I am usually not awake to manually reschedule it.

I would someday like to see the Recording Log expanded with new Guide Data that explains WHY something did not record. Sometimes you will get explanations like, "Deleted by User." But if you get the common message, "Settop was unable to record the program" it doesn't say why it couldn't record. It's like you have to be watching to TV if there is a conflict to see what the conflict was. I have not had any missed recordings for at least a year. (I am on MDN 2.4.6_19) It has been reliable since we got new cable lines put in about six months ago, which fixed our signal strength issues. The box went from rebooting 2-3 times a week to maybe once every 2-3 months!

Jack

SA-8300HDC: TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #12904 of 18760 Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
A user in Charlotte now has both the multi-room DVR and the 50/5 mbps package.

The DVRs have 512GB hard drives each for a total of 1TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post

Sorry guys. Tech -just- left.

First off, I got the coolest tech I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He knows his business.

First up - they take a tour of the home to find out where everything is going to be installed.

Then, he took the information of my old DVR and cable modem (which I had disconnected). Then went out and brought back 2 Cisco DVR's. These have the MOCA interface (of which, I'm getting 215Mb/sec between the two).

Then, out to the street to check the signal levels. Those were good.

Back to the back side of the house for more signal level checks. Install two MOCA traps. One to prevent signal from back feeding into the cable network. The other to prevent leakage into the cable modem.

Then, inside to hook up but not power up both DVRs and the cable modem. More signal level checks at each outlet.

Then, activate everything.

I just did a speed test. 49Mbps down, 5.1Mbps up! Using dslreports.com.

The wireless part of the modem has an option to disable. But it is grayed out. Cable guy is going to check into that. Though as of this writing, the wireless signal light is off on the front of the modem.

The DVR's. Well, channel changing is slower than my old 8xxx box. But not bad. So far the external hard drive -does-not-work. Cable guy is going to check into that for me too.

Record a show on one DVR and that show instantly shows up on the list of the other DVR. The DVR's pack 512GB hard drives.

Digital phone comes on Tuesday.

The Cable modem (Motorola SURFboard SBG6580) - it has a 4 port switch on the back of it. By default, it will enable NAT. I disabled that because I want my firewall/router to take care of that work for me. Also, I am being assigned 1 IPv4 address and 1 IPv6 address by the TWC network! How hot is that??

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #12905 of 18760 Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

A user in Charlotte now has both the multi-room DVR and the 50/5 mbps package.

We should have a catered event at La Maison du Calabria so we all can watch the tech hook up and trouble shoot a MoCA system with a full 16 items.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #12906 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Another AVS member noted on the Rochester, NY thread that his DVR now has a 4th FF/RW speed. I checked and noted that we had gone from MDN 2.4.0-19 to 2.5.0-49. I trust that this is the latest?

Dave Hancock
post #12907 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I have been told by a friend who is a engineer and knows people in Cisco. Belive me i'm no engineer and am only repeating what I was told. When TWC launchs multi room the 8300hdc, 8240hd and the 8640hdc and the 8642hdc will all be open to it.. How I do not know. Time Warner wants a way to use the older boxes to offset huge costs in replaceing them. That is what I was told and have no other information. WOODy
post #12908 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

8300HDC??? Does such a box exist?

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #12909 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

I have been told by a friend who is a engineer and knows people in Cisco. Belive me i'm no engineer and am only repeating what I was told. When TWC launchs multi room the 8300hdc, 8240hd and the 8640hdc and the 8642hdc will all be open to it.. How I do not know. Time Warner wants a way to use the older boxes to offset huge costs in replaceing them. That is what I was told and have no other information. WOODy

Interesting. Wonder how they will go about this?

In your post, you mentioned that 8240HD. Should their be a C after that, or not? I just have the MDN SA-8300. But what CW has told us here, just gives more evidence that TWC does not want to replace the old boxes.

Jack

post #12910 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

8300HDC??? Does such a box exist?

As I understand it, my box is the CableCard version of your 8300HD...
post #12911 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Interesting. Wonder how they will go about this?

In your post, you mentioned that 8240HD. Should their be a C after that, or not? I just have the MDN SA-8300. But what CW has told us here, just gives more evidence that TWC does not want to replace the old boxes.

Jack

8240HDC is correct. My bad typo. My friend said Scientific Atlanta and TWC worked on a multi room project 5 years ago but it was abandoned because of to many bugs. The much larger Cisco team is working to debug the older work with the HDC units. As I understand it his is a older project that has been revived useing the 8300HDC and 8240HDC as the base units for older boxes. I am getting this information second hand but checking arround it seems sound. WOODY
post #12912 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

UPDATE# Just out of being curious I typed into my search engine 8300HDC multi room dvr and up poped the website Cisco 8300HDC multi room DVR. If you can find it you can see the specs and features. The site is online. Not sure if it is old or new but it is branded Cisco not Scirntific Atlanta. Anyone who has more tech knowledge than me check it out and report. WOODY
post #12913 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
They still need to fix the VOD issues on my 4640HDC. It won't remember where you left off. It starts from the beginning.
post #12914 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

They still need to fix the VOD issues on my 4640HDC. It won't remember where you left off. It starts from the beginning.

I've noticed VOD issues as well since Navigator deployment. The plus is that they load WAY faster, but the minus is they seem glitchy. Can't exit out sometime.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #12915 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

8240HDC is correct. My bad typo. My friend said Scientific Atlanta and TWC worked on a multi room project 5 years ago but it was abandoned because of to many bugs. The much larger Cisco team is working to debug the older work with the HDC units. As I understand it his is a older project that has been revived useing the 8300HDC and 8240HDC as the base units for older boxes. I am getting this information second hand but checking arround it seems sound. WOODY

Thanks!

So anyone who has multiple DVR's who wants the multi-room update, whenever the time comes for their division, will have to have an ODN (C-box) a Samsung, or a Cisco 8600 as the perquisite.

We have to remember that this is all VERY preliminary information.

Jack

post #12916 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I've noticed VOD issues as well since Navigator deployment. The plus is that they load WAY faster, but the minus is they seem glitchy. Can't exit out sometime.

My trusty old SA-8300 (MDN) runs VOD pretty fast and reliably. Everyone, you should have your lines and signal strength checked if you have VOD problems that don't go away after box reboots, or subsequently reoccur. Personally, I LOVE the look of the VOD menus and the information seems to be more complete with the Page+/- info than other program descriptions!

Now, if they could only do that throughout the guide!

Jack

post #12917 of 18760 Old 07-18-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are the same problems that I'm experiencing right now with a 4640HDC. So I guess the 8640HDC suffers from the same problems.
post #12918 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Thanks!

So anyone who has multiple DVR's who wants the multi-room update, whenever the time comes for their division, will have to have an ODN (C-box) a Samsung, or a Cisco 8600 as the perquisite.

We have to remember that this is all VERY preliminary information.

Jack

Exactly. However Cisco has taken the Scientific Atlanta work on the C boxes and seem to be running with it in futher development. WOODY
post #12919 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 AM

I have an 8300HD + external HD. I've had this setup for years and have had to replace the external drive once, after failure. Unfortunately, it appears the internal HD is starting to go bad. I often see severe pixelation in the live buffer, even with the external HD unplugged. This happens about every 1 to 3 minutes. My new recordings are fine, but I assume its because they are getting stored on the external HD. My hypothesis is that the internal HD is being used for buffering while the external for recording.
Any suggestions? Do you think I could force the live buffer to use the external HD somehow? Has anyone done an internal HD replacement in an 8300HD? I've seen in this forum that someone has had success doing so with a newer DVR.
Thanks for your advice!

Raleigh, NC 

Sony KDL-60NX720

TWC 8742HDC

post #12920 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

An engineer said that only the Cisco 8642HDC, 4642HDC, Samsung 3272, and Samsung 3262 are the only boxes capable of Multi Room DVR. Motorola boxes such as the 3200M and 3400M are compatible since iGuide A28 supports MR-DVR. Not sure when San Diego will get it, but the good news is that both ex-Adelphia and SD proper will be able to get it.
post #12921 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The Cisco VOD issues are being looked into.
post #12922 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

An engineer said that only the Cisco 8642HDC, 4642HDC, Samsung 3272, and Samsung 3262 are the only boxes capable of Multi Room DVR. Motorola boxes such as the 3200M and 3400M are compatible since iGuide A28 supports MR-DVR. Not sure when San Diego will get it, but the good news is that both ex-Adelphia and SD proper will be able to get it.

The engineer might say that but the Cisco site I was on clearly stated that the 8300HDC was multi room capable. Type in search 8300HDC multi room dvr and it should take you to the site. The engineer I spoke to who knows people at Cisco stated that Cisco was looking at the old Scientific Atlanta project that would have made non dvr boxes multi room combined with a 8300HDC. They are now trying to see if the 8300HDC can be made multi room with other C model dvr's. Right now it's in the reseach stage but is being worked on. WOODY
post #12923 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcage View Post

I have an 8300HD + external HD. I've had this setup for years and have had to replace the external drive once, after failure. Unfortunately, it appears the internal HD is starting to go bad. I often see severe pixelation in the live buffer, even with the external HD unplugged. This happens about every 1 to 3 minutes. My new recordings are fine, but I assume its because they are getting stored on the external HD. My hypothesis is that the internal HD is being used for buffering while the external for recording.
Any suggestions? Do you think I could force the live buffer to use the external HD somehow? Has anyone done an internal HD replacement in an 8300HD? I've seen in this forum that someone has had success doing so with a newer DVR.
Thanks for your advice!

First recommendation,

With the external drive disconnected and everything else off. unplug the DVR for at least 5 minutes. Than plug it back in, leaving the external drive disconnected. If it happens again, the second recommendation would be a service call or self-return box swap. (DVR is going bad I would say)

Jack

post #12924 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcage View Post

My hypothesis is that the internal HD is being used for buffering while the external for recording.

I believe the external drive does do the buffering when it has the most % space left. 1. The external light flickers even when not recording. 2. If you are watching a show for a while and then tell it to record, all of the show will end up on the external drive (buffered and new portions). /Dan
post #12925 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Signature Home subscribers are getting ODN v4.0.1_0 and the menus in the Cisco boxes are still in 4x3.
post #12926 of 18760 Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Went in today to exchange a Sammy 3270 that had the sound processor go tango uniform after 12 hours. Had just traded in a SA 8240 for it on Friday. Asked about the Cisco dvr, but the rep at the counter said that they were still in testing here (Austin) and that only Time Warner personnel were allowed to use them at the moment. :|

Hooked up another 3270 for the time being. 4.3.5.3 software.
post #12927 of 18760 Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Signature Home subscribers are getting ODN v4.0.1_0 and the menus in the Cisco boxes are still in 4x3.

Any new features in ODN 4.0.1. Keyword search maybe? WOODY
post #12928 of 18760 Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. WHY? Why a 4:3 guide? Do you know anyne with a 4:3 HDTV? The new boxes support a widescreen guide and should have it as an option. Now, that's still way down on my list of priorities, but it should be done.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #12929 of 18760 Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. WHY? Why a 4:3 guide? Do you know anyone with a 4:3 HDTV? The new boxes support a widescreen guide and should have it as an option. Now, that's still way down on my list of priorities, but it should be done.

Agree Ben,

If they are going all-out with the "Exclusively For You" Signature Home Package, a true HD guide should be present. Maybe it will be down the road. Yea, I wonder if the guy with Signature Home has ODN 4.0 now?

Jack

post #12930 of 18760 Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

He admitted to having it. A local engineer said that MR-DVR required ODN v4.0.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page