Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 483 - AVS Forum
First ... 481  482  483 484  485  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Time Warner Cable Navigator
minnow101's Avatar minnow101 03:41 PM 02-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post

There is truth in what you say but I still can be upset when we pay about $200 a month for crappy service and equipment. I really have given up calling TW since they never fix anything anyway. We can't have a dish and I love live sports too much to cut the cable. The FCC took down a site that did a lot of live sports on the computer so we are kinda stuck.

And that my fine feathered friend is why TWC can continue providing crappy equipment and blow off customer complaints.

Dude111's Avatar Dude111 04:30 AM 02-17-2011
Quote:

There is truth in what you say but I still can be upset when we pay about $200 a month for crappy service and equipment. I really have given up calling TW since they never fix anything anyway.

No they dont care!!

They are the most stuck up idiots i have ever had to deal with
ncmikey's Avatar ncmikey 12:02 PM 02-18-2011
Quote:

There is truth in what you say but I still can be upset when we pay about $200 a month for crappy service and equipment. I really have given up calling TW since they never fix anything anyway. We can't have a dish and I love live sports too much to cut the cable. The FCC took down a site that did a lot of live sports on the computer so we are kinda stuck.

Just in case .... have you rebooted the box. It seems to clear a lot of mystical problems which crop up on my box. I only call TWC as a very last resort. Good luck
kjpjr's Avatar kjpjr 03:27 PM 02-18-2011
I reboot each box about once a week, sometime over the weekends. Of course, if you have TWC the boxes reboot on their own, usually in the middle of a show. When they do this it is for no apparent reason it just happens.
ncmikey's Avatar ncmikey 11:45 AM 02-28-2011
My Samsung DVR has been acting up lately, the playback audio/video would stutter occasionally but only on playback. Live programs were fine so I attributed it to the HD possibly going bad.

Anyway I took it in to TWC and traded it for a Cisco 8640. I wanted to see how it performed compared to the Sammy. I got it home and plugged it back in via HDMI and everything worked great. I sat for an hour or so reprogramming all my series recordings (there are 44 of them) and it all worked great. I turned the TV & DVR off and went about my business. Later on I turned it back on (TV first & then DVR) and I had a message regarding the HDMI and it said, in essence, the HDMI port on the TV or the HDMI cable must be bad. I switched over to an alternate HDMI on the TV with the same result. I couldn't get the warning message to go away. So I dug out the component cables and hooked them up and the message was still there. So I rebooted the DVR and the message was gone and the box works fine.

I don't really care whether I use component or HDMI but I am curious if this is something which exists with the combo of Navigator and the 8640 since I ran the Samsung 3270 via HDMI for many months with no problems, until this stuttering issue came up. Or are there 8640 boxes out which get along fine with Navigator and maybe I got one with a faulty HDMI port?
Satch Man's Avatar Satch Man 12:24 PM 02-28-2011
Current report on my SA-8300HDC,

It isn't as slow as some have reported, but could still be a click or two faster. HDMI bug of "Mode Not Supported" sometimes when set is powered on seems to be corrected on ODN 4.0.24.

But, the new issue is that sometimes the resolution setting output will revert to 480p when powered on. The issue goes to the correct resolution when the channel is changed. This happens regardless of where the settings are.

Also, if you go to an external mode through the Video Source button, or you are gone for 5 minutes on a paused DVR show, you sometimes have to wait for a few seconds when the display clock setting on my TV goes away when coming out of screensaver mode. The box may revert to a 480p setting during this time. If you don't wait for the time display on the TV to go away, the box wil flicker on and off between the 480 and 1080 settings. If you wait for the clock display onscreen to go away, there is no problem.

The reason for this is the box often goes to 480p mode in screen saver mode or in External video mode, even if you have your box settings set to one resolution. This bug only began after the ODN 4.0.2_4 update.

Jack
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 01:37 PM 02-28-2011
Well, with the continued woes of ODN 4.0.2_4 here I can report that my hard drive swap is at least working well. I was out of town for a week straight and have it set to record many series and daily shows all in HD. Came home and the DVR showed only 47% full which is nice considering it was in 30's when I left. I really can't understand why manufactures are NOT using 1TB drives? The cost is minimal when they are done on an assembly line. I'm still hoping we see an update that address the current slew of issues with Navigator. I've talked to Level 3 support and they have no idea when the update is coming.
hdtvfan2005's Avatar hdtvfan2005 03:23 PM 02-28-2011
Cisco has a 8742HDC with a touch sensitive front panel, and it uses a power brick with makes it smaller.
rdgcss's Avatar rdgcss 04:32 PM 02-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Cisco has a 8742HDC with a touch sensitive front panel, and it uses a power brick with makes it smaller.

Touch sensitive means I would have to get off my but and walk over to the box
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 04:37 PM 02-28-2011
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide.../4038345_A.pdf

Quick Data Sheet on that box. I highly doubt Time Warner will be going to these anytime soon. They just stepped up from the 8300's to the 8600's.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 05:02 PM 02-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Touch sensitive means I would have to get off my but and walk over to the box

Touch-sensitive means that whenever you are cleaning the box the damn thing starts up.

I really dislike touch-sensitive controls on main components. I don't mind them on devices that are meant for continued and regular activity but I don't see any need for them on components you rarely touch. Not to mention that you can never be sure if the button actually reacted if the unit is slow to process the action. With a mechanical button at least you can feel the action.
Gary J's Avatar Gary J 05:08 PM 02-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Touch-sensitive means that whenever you are cleaning the box the damn thing starts up.

One of these days I'm going to clean mine. I think I've dusted them a few times.
therealjustin's Avatar therealjustin 08:10 PM 02-28-2011
I was fed up with my 8640HDC so I returned it and they gave me another 8240HDC. It sucked just as bad as the last 8240 I had but thankfully it was only a temporary solution until they got the new boxes in.

I went to the Oneida, NY office today and there sat a brand new Samsung 3270! It's a nice looking box and even more important is that it actually works. The speed improvement is incredible and I no longer have to wait 20 seconds for the FF function to kick in. The program guide/recorded list is stretched permanently to 16:9 but I prefer this over the 4:3 format with the pillars on the sides. It runs cooler and it is much quieter than the Cisco boxes.
boothmaster's Avatar boothmaster 06:16 AM 03-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post

I was fed up with my 8640HDC so I returned it and they gave me another 8240HDC. It sucked just as bad as the last 8240 I had but thankfully it was only a temporary solution until they got the new boxes in.

I went to the Oneida, NY office today and there sat a brand new Samsung 3270! It's a nice looking box and even more important is that it actually works. The speed improvement is incredible and I no longer have to wait 20 seconds for the FF function to kick in. The program guide/recorded list is stretched permanently to 16:9 but I prefer this over the 4:3 format with the pillars on the sides. It runs cooler and it is much quieter than the Cisco boxes.

I had no idea the Oneida office had Samsung boxes. They always tell people they only support the cisco boxes. Do you find this box to be better than a 8300hdc?
jcalabria's Avatar jcalabria 06:42 AM 03-01-2011
Quote:

Yes... the speed difference between the Samsungs and the Ciscos, even when comparing to newer Cisco models, is striking. I've had my 8640 for quite some time now and still miss the speed and full 16:9 graphics (albeit stretched) of the 3090 that I had previously.

It's a shame that the 3090 was availabe in so few locations and for such a short time, because it was even better than the 3270... it had a feature set comparable to the 8640 (e.g., PiP and full set of output connections) combined with speed comparable to the 3270. It also had a more robust HDMI implementation than the 3270, whose handshaking is quite sensitive to turn-on order.
buz23's Avatar buz23 09:58 AM 03-01-2011
I've tried the search function and not gotten a satisfactory answer. I can bring up diagnostics but there is no signal strength or errors info.

I've got TW albany, 4.0.2_4.

Anyone got any suggestions???
therealjustin's Avatar therealjustin 05:09 PM 03-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothmaster View Post

I had no idea the Oneida office had Samsung boxes. They always tell people they only support the cisco boxes. Do you find this box to be better than a 8300hdc?

Yes, the new Samsung boxes are quite a bit faster. When fast forwarding or using the 8 second replay button it instantly jumps to that scene. You can tell that the CPU/GPU is much more capable when dealing with HD video. Also, if you are still using the standard hard drive with the 8300 the Samsung 3270 comes with twice the storage(320GB).
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 05:37 PM 03-02-2011
Quote:

. You can tell that the CPU/GPU is much more capable when dealing with HD video.

Actually, the CPU in the 8600 Series Cisco boxes are quite capable as well. The programmers have yet to figure out how to implement the software properly is the problem.
jcalabria's Avatar jcalabria 06:41 AM 03-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Actually, the CPU in the 8600 Series Cisco boxes are quite capable as well. The programmers have yet to figure out how to implement the software properly is the problem.

Plus... even the "speed patch" 4.0.2_4 update made only minuscule improvement, still leaving the 8640 well behind the 3090/3270 in the speed department. While the patch did (very) slightly improve GUI navigation, it did nothing for the miserably slow series scheduling functions. When you press "A" to finalize a series schedule add, change or delete, you can go make a sandwich while the schedules update, and there's no processing indicator to let you know that the box hasn't just frozen on you.

Whatever processes it runs during those updates, such as conflict checks, still run considerably slower than they do on the Samsungs. Those that have but a hundful of series scheduled might not notice so much... but a very heavy series load easily chokes the 8640, where the Samsungs fly through the same processes.
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 07:10 AM 03-03-2011
I noticed NO difference with the so called "speed patch", 3.2 was working fine - 4.0 messed things up. My box is performing piss poor right now with lots of stuttering. There are nights where I have literally 3 second delays between button presses.
jcalabria's Avatar jcalabria 07:29 AM 03-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I noticed NO difference with the so called "speed patch", 3.2 was working fine - 4.0 messed things up. My box is performing piss poor right now with lots of stuttering. There are nights where I have literally 3 second delays between button presses.

Since it appears that Samsungs are popping up in some NY locations where they hadn't been available previously, have you made any recent checks to see if Samsungs have become available in your area?
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 07:41 AM 03-03-2011
Yes, I may attempt that - However, I plan on adding Whole Home so I have no idea what they will provide. That and the fact that I have all my series setup already. I really, REALLY wish TWC would expand the MyServices manager to store your settings there and then have an option to have them sent to the box. Also, they need a better system for priority management which could also be done online. Something akin to the Netflix Queue where you just assign numbers to the list. That said, if I am able to move to a whole home option soon I'll have to reset all my series recordings anyway. If finances permit, I'd like to actually move to Sig Home because the 50/5 internet makes it a better deal. I'll keep you guys posted, but I'm also hoping TWC releases an update sooner than later.
buz23's Avatar buz23 06:25 PM 03-03-2011
After much complaining, the Time Warner guy (albany) showed up today and swapped out my SA8300HDC for a Cisco 8642HDC. So far so good. I have had a couple of "blank" channels on changing and the picture stuck in the top right corner episodes but cycling the power (vice having to reboot) seems to bring everything back to normal. Much better at channel surfing, and the unit seems much more responsive to the remote.
Satch Man's Avatar Satch Man 09:45 PM 03-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Plus... even the "speed patch" 4.0.2_4 update made only minuscule improvement, still leaving the 8640 well behind the 3090/3270 in the speed department. While the patch did (very) slightly improve GUI navigation, it did nothing for the miserably slow series scheduling functions. When you press "A" to finalize a series schedule add, change or delete, you can go make a sandwich while the schedules update, and there's no processing indicator to let you know that the box hasn't just frozen on you.

Whatever processes it runs during those updates, such as conflict checks, still run considerably slower than they do on the Samsungs. Those that have but a handful of series scheduled might not notice so much... but a very heavy series load easily chokes the 8640, where the Samsungs fly through the same processes.

Maybe it's only because I have two series in Series Manager scheduled, and in general don't record a lot of shows, but on my SA-8300HDC, it only takes about 5-10 seconds tops when it does, the "Updating Recordings, please wait" thing. The box however, is slower than my SA-8300 that ran MDN, but not that much. Sometimes it will "hiccup" often just before a recording starts or it will lag a little bit behind. ODN 4.0.24 may be just a tick faster, than where we came from. It's been awhile, maybe 3.2. A bit faster, but hardly worth advertising.

I do have that "guide lag" thing where as you scroll in the Time Grid, information in the left-hand corner for the show description does not change until you stop scrolling. Do the Samsungs still do that? I loved my old SA-8300 with MDN! Because you had where you could hold the FF arrow down in the Time Grid, or the Page +/- button down and those stations would just friggin fly! I don't know if the Sammy's are like that or not. Now, when you hold the buttons down, it's just a little faster. But on MDN, you could go from 1-100 in like 5 seconds! On ODN, at least my box, it takes about 10-15 seconds for so called "Power Speed Mode" to do what the older boxes did in half the time!

Oh, I found out how remember on Passport, I think you could scroll in the time grid by 100 channels at a time by pressing the "A" button in the Time Grid? I heard that this was a copyright feature, and TWC could not add this to Navigator. We will see if the forthcoming Altacast middlewere update for ODN gives the SA/Cisco speed boosts that they so desperately need!

Some people have noticed speed increases on the Samsungs when they use Component Cables over HDMI, go figure. Than they say, when they go to HDMI cable, the Sammy's are slower. Has anyone heard of this? However, I have heard that the even a "slow" Samsung is snappier and faster than the best of the HDC SA/Cisco's. regardless of HDMI or Component Cable hookup.

A little OT. I told you guys the story of from time to time our HD channels 1005 (CBS) and 1012 (ABC) and maybe one other channel WMLW local (7) go out in ever other week increments, but come back like a day or so later like nothing happens. The electric company did not say why, but the other day, the told us the power would be off for two hours while they replaced the lines in our area. When we "lost" channels 1005 and 1012 early this morning, they were back up within hours not days, the fastest that turnaround has been, so we will will see what happens.

Jack
Satch Man's Avatar Satch Man 10:03 PM 03-03-2011
Quote:

I really, REALLY wish TWC would expand the MyServices manager to store your settings there and then have an option to have them sent to the box.

Not only is this a +1 idea, it's a +10 idea! It would be so much easier to just transfer shows and settings to and from the Remote DVR Manager to a new/swapped out DVR!

Jack
hdtvfan2005's Avatar hdtvfan2005 12:15 AM 03-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Maybe it's only because I have two series in Series Manager scheduled, and in general don't record a lot of shows, but on my SA-8300HDC, it only takes about 5-10 seconds tops when it does, the "Updating Recordings, please wait" thing. The box however, is slower than my SA-8300 that ran MDN, but not that much. Sometimes it will "hiccup" often just before a recording starts or it will lag a little bit behind. ODN 4.0.24 may be just a tick faster, than where we came from. It's been awhile, maybe 3.2. A bit faster, but hardly worth advertising.

I do have that "guide lag" thing where as you scroll in the Time Grid, information in the left-hand corner for the show description does not change until you stop scrolling. Do the Samsungs still do that? I loved my old SA-8300 with MDN! Because you had where you could hold the FF arrow down in the Time Grid, or the Page +/- button down and those stations would just friggin fly! I don't know if the Sammy's are like that or not. Now, when you hold the buttons down, it's just a little faster. But on MDN, you could go from 1-100 in like 5 seconds! On ODN, at least my box, it takes about 10-15 seconds for so called "Power Speed Mode" to do what the older boxes did in half the time!

Oh, I found out how remember on Passport, I think you could scroll in the time grid by 100 channels at a time by pressing the "A" button in the Time Grid? I heard that this was a copyright feature, and TWC could not add this to Navigator. We will see if the forthcoming Altacast middlewere update for ODN gives the SA/Cisco speed boosts that they so desperately need!

Some people have noticed speed increases on the Samsungs when they use Component Cables over HDMI, go figure. Than they say, when they go to HDMI cable, the Sammy's are slower. Has anyone heard of this? However, I have heard that the even a "slow" Samsung is snappier and faster than the best of the HDC SA/Cisco's. regardless of HDMI or Component Cable hookup.

A little OT. I told you guys the story of from time to time our HD channels 1005 (CBS) and 1012 (ABC) and maybe one other channel WMLW local (7) go out in ever other week increments, but come back like a day or so later like nothing happens. The electric company did not say why, but the other day, the told us the power would be off for two hours while they replaced the lines in our area. When we "lost" channels 1005 and 1012 early this morning, they were back up within hours not days, the fastest that turnaround has been, so we will will see what happens.

Jack

Slow performance, with HDMI naa. I have 2 3270's with one hooked up via HDMI while the other is hooked up via component, and they both perform the same.
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 12:44 AM 03-05-2011
The reason you will see a speed/performance difference with HDMI versus Component is due to the HDMI Handshake taking some time. That generally explains any speed differential in channel changing or resolution switching. Component is much faster in that regard because it does not have to reestablish the HDMI handshake everytime the resolution or input changes. I'm currently experiencing this with DVR'd content here. I'm noticing random and frequent drop outs which then trigger an HDMI handshake (I know because my Onkyo receiver goes into handshake mode).

That said, any noticeable speed or performance issue related to menu speed or operational speed have nothing to do with the type of cable used.
davehancock's Avatar davehancock 08:21 AM 03-05-2011
Another variable in the HDMI speed "issue" is the device (sink device) on the other end of the cable. There is some variability in how various TVs interact with HDMI sources. So if someone is observing that their STB is much slower with HDMI than with Component - it could be due to the TV instead.
BenJF3's Avatar BenJF3 08:23 AM 03-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Another variable in the HDMI speed "issue" is the device (sink device) on the other end of the cable. There is some variability in how various TVs interact with HDMI sources. So if someone is observing that their STB is much slower with HDMI than with Component - it could be due to the TV instead.

Good point. Some TV's also take significantly longer to readjust once new signal is detected.
hdtvfan2005's Avatar hdtvfan2005 09:08 PM 03-05-2011
Samsung boxes in San Diego got an update recently, but no ODN update. RTOS is at v4.5.10 and MW is v20276. Nothing to see here, except for bug fixes.
First ... 481  482  483 484  485  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop