Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 489 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #14641 of 18921 Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Navigator runs quickly and smoothly on the pair of Samsung SMT H3272 boxes that came with my Sig Home subscription here in Syracuse. However, there is a slight delay (about a half to a full second) in response to the remote if I am playing a recording upstairs that I made on the downstairs machine. I have also found that, unlike the SA-Cisco DVR, the Samsung requires a hard reboot every couple of weeks to avoid flakey performance on playback. I'll also mention that the wideband service delivers highly variable download speeds, from a low of 4 mbs to a high of 27 mbs, obviously depending on network traffic. Upload speeds are consistently good. Otherwise, I've been quite satisfied with Sig Home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14642 of 18921 Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

The only reason I brought it up was because I've been through everything that TWC could do and was wondering how Signature Service would compare based on the "personalized" aspect. We we're updated sometime around Sept or Oct (I think). I'm really hoping the next version helps us out. The only box I haven't tried is the 8642 which can only be had with a multi-room setup or Sig Home. I want to go that route, but finances got a bit tight with gas prices and other factors to justify a $200+ a month cable bill.

They have been some great comments and suggestions that we would all love to see within Navigator. I just hope TWC hears them.

On a side note about MDN. Where I work still has some 3000 Series boxes and MDN runs horribly on those. MDN seems to really shine on the 8300HD.

Sup Ben?

I was just wondering, and my suggestion probably is not gonna do crap, but have you ever replaced your HDMI cables with Component Cables just to see if that makes a difference? I know that there are some people who have gotten faster responses out of the boxes when using Component Cables. I was just wondering if you have considered testing that?

We had a poster that had a Samsung, who noticed a speed boost on the box when using Component Cables in place of HDMI. Considering all you've done already, it couldn't hurt to try.

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #14643 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
No inside info... just an observation:

Just prior to (at least) the last two updates, the about-to-be-new version of ODN has shown up in the box's application list... but marked as "not running". Recently a new ODN "version in waiting" has shown up on my 8640's app list... 4.1.0_5 (4.1.0_3 is also listed).

Last time, 4.0.2_4 showed up about two weeks prior to being activated, with the old version hanging around on the app list for about a week afterward, then disappearing. Looks like new versions of TWC_SACANH_NETWORK and TWC_MONITOR are also ready to be sprung as well.

Could be any day now...

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #14644 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Just prior to (at least) the last two updates, the about-to-be-new version of ODN has shown up in the box's application list... but marked as "not running". Recently a new ODN "version in waiting" has shown up on my 8640's app list... 4.1.0_5 (4.1.0_3 is also listed).

Last time, 4.0.2_4 showed up about two weeks prior to being activated, with the old version hanging around on the app list for about a week afterward, then disappearing. Looks like new versions of TWC_SACANH_NETWORK and TWC_MONITOR are also ready to be sprung as well.

Could be any day now...

Thanks JC!

This could be cool!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14645 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Could be any day now...

For you guys - we are usually 6 months to a year later which is inexcusable. Hopefully if this version does get deployed, we see it right away and it fixes the multitude of issues we are having.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #14646 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Could be any day now...

I wouldn't recommend posting that if I were you. You could get in trouble with TWC.
post #14647 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

San Diego will likely get the update a few months.
post #14648 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

I wouldn't recommend posting that if I were you. You could get in trouble with TWC.

If I haven't been in trouble yet...

Besides, I haven't disclosed any confidential information. It's just an independent observation of information that every person here can see for themselves on standard diagnostics pages that have been discussed openly and repeatedly here for years. In fact, I learned how to access them here.

post #14649 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

We have a channel realignment of just the Basic and Standard Tiers coming about May 24th. (Only about 8-10 stations I think.) Everything else stays the same. I think the only Digital Changes are adding Fearnet to TWC Movie Pass in May, (Which I don't get.)

I'll bet we will get the new Navigator Update in June. We got ODN 4.0.24 about a month after it was released. Maybe the consolidation of divisions is helping!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14650 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

We have a channel realignment of just the Basic and Standard Tiers coming about May 24th. (Only about 8-10 stations I think.) Everything else stays the same. I think the only Digital Changes are adding Fearnet to TWC Movie Pass in May, (Which I don't get.)

I'll bet we will get the new Navigator Update in June. We got ODN 4.0.24 about a month after it was released. Maybe the consolidation of divisions is helping!

Jack

Our division just plain refuses to do a channel re-alignment even though I have repeatidly shown that it is one of the worst. The only thing they do is move analogs off basic and into digital only tiers. I talk to so many of my customers who just stopped caring about HD and record SD even when there is an HD available because they don't want to hunt they guide.

Literally every install I've done, the customer has said to me: "Why don't the SD and HD channel numbers line up?' or "Why can't I just block out the SD channels?". One customer made a great point - Why even have duplicate channels? Just put everything out in HD and let older sets see the station letterboxed. I'm all for TWC dropping all analog offerings provided they do what other MSO's have done and offer low or no cost basic (no guide, VOD, PPV,etc.) converters to subs for additional outlets. It would free up ENORMOUS amounts of bandwidth, enough to probably eliminate SDV if they wanted, or at least ramp up the bitrates.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #14651 of 18921 Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Our division just plain refuses to do a channel re-alignment even though I have repeatidly shown that it is one of the worst. The only thing they do is move analogs off basic and into digital only tiers. I talk to so many of my customers who just stopped caring about HD and record SD even when there is an HD available because they don't want to hunt they guide.

Literally every install I've done, the customer has said to me: "Why don't the SD and HD channel numbers line up?' or "Why can't I just block out the SD channels?". One customer made a great point - Why even have duplicate channels? Just put everything out in HD and let older sets see the station letterboxed. I'm all for TWC dropping all analog offerings provided they do what other MSO's have done and offer low or no cost basic (no guide, VOD, PPV,etc.) converters to subs for additional outlets. It would free up ENORMOUS amounts of bandwidth, enough to probably eliminate SDV if they wanted, or at least ramp up the bitrates.

TWC north texas is some what organized channel lineup wise as they have the SD channels grouped into themes but when it comes to HD they are scatered over the 300s/400s locals, 700s and 800s national.

TWC north texas is killing 8 analogs come june:
CSPAN2
CSPAN3
TXCN
5 local access channels (box will be provided for free for a certain amount of time to customers without a box)
post #14652 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

One person on sandiegohdtv.org reported that his 8300HD downloaded a big update and sure enough it was MDN v3.0.
post #14653 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2662...all-transcript

This article has some interesting things. iPad app to get remoteDVR and the ability to use it as a remote control. TWC is also working on a new cloud based guide probably for high end OCAP boxes (e.g. Samsung, Cisco, Moto DCX). It also mentions improved search features. I guess Keyword search is coming to this guide, not Navigator.
post #14654 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

This article has some interesting things. iPad app to get remoteDVR and the ability to use it as a remote control. TWC is also working on a new cloud based guide probably for high end OCAP boxes (e.g. Samsung, Cisco, Moto DCX). It also mentions improved search features. I guess Keyword search is coming to this guide, not Navigator.

When you move the guide to a server, limits on memory & performance go away. All of a sudden almost anything is possible. Lots of developer tools for server apps, most likely none for a DVR.
post #14655 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

One person on sandiegohdtv.org reported that his 8300HD downloaded a big update and sure enough it was MDN v3.0.

Reported here on 4/13. Confirmed by me on 4/15. One downside to this version is that the 15min jump ahead (hold down right arrow) has been eliminated. I hope that is a "bug" and that they bring it back.

Dave Hancock
post #14656 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This article has some interesting things. iPad app to get remote DVR and the ability to use it as a remote control. TWC is also working on a new cloud based guide probably for high end OCAP boxes (e.g. Samsung, Cisco, Moto DCX). It also mentions improved search features. I guess Keyword search is coming to this guide, not Navigator.

I could not find where it said that Navigator was not getting the Keyword Search option. Nor where it really said anything about Navigator. Note that I only skimmed it, and could find nothing Navigator specific about Navigator in an IE 8 search for it.

However, it did talk about the Cloud Service in the future. I don't think that will be a STB based feature, but a web or network-based feature. I have proposed something like this for years! In fact, Ben and I both advocate the use of having a back-up system for shows and box settings stored in a "cloud." When the STB craps out and need to be exchanged, settings and services would remain in the "Cloud." So you could bring them back by signing into your account like "My Services" or call up TWC, and verify your account information, and they would copy the services that you had in the cloud, back to the box.

Actually, Ben and I really want the Remote DVR Manager to store shows and box settings as if TWC My Services would become a "Cloud" for storage, rather than relying everything on the current DVR. As the capabilities of the cloud expand, the boxes phase out more and more in proportion to what the Cloud can do, and store.

And maybe in the next 5-10 years more and more data and storage settings will move to a cloud-based and mobile based technology, over time, the box, both as a stand-alone AND as a DVR gets eliminated.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14657 of 18921 Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Reported here on 4/13. Confirmed by me on 4/15. One downside to this version is that the 15min jump ahead (hold down right arrow) has been eliminated. I hope that is a "bug" and that they bring it back.

Is there a 4x FF function? My sources said the the next Navigator update for MDN/ODN would have this.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14658 of 18921 Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

My Sony TV seems to be handling the Samsung boxes over, after I've reset the HDMI. On the V5100 TV's, if you unplug all HDMI connected devices, and plug them back in, it resets the HDMI. This seems to make it handle a little better. I will also try out the new E328 firmware to see if that helps as well.
post #14659 of 18921 Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Is there a 4x FF function? My sources said the the next Navigator update for MDN/ODN would have this.

Jack

The 4x FF/RW functions are STILL there on MDN 3.0. (They were there on the previous version of MDN).

Dave Hancock
post #14660 of 18921 Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Our MDN v.3.0 "RED CLOUD" version only goes out to "3X"...the larger font size was
the FIRST thing I noticed that was "different"....

As of this morning, the "SEARCH" database was finally populated, so I'm hoping the
Guide problems I saw yesterday will settle out today....or perhaps in a few days...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post2037358
post #14661 of 18921 Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
re. MDN v.3.0:

Guide can be filtered to display (just) High Definition channels...or favorites,
but it takes a SECOND Guide button press and it doesn't "stick"...you have to
do it every time you display the Guide.

As I mentioned above, going into the additional options menu to mark a program
to NEVER DELETE seems to work but doesn't actually set the NEVER DELETE icon
until you EXIT those menus and select LIST again.
[Don't they ever TEST their software????? This is just SSSTTTUUUUPPPIIIDDDDD.....]

The Tribune Corporation Copywright notice takes an ENTIRE LINE away from ALL
of the program displays....yuck!!!!! Surely there is a better way......
post #14662 of 18921 Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hawaii should finish up it's navigator transition by May 10th. Hawaii will also get MR-DVR in the Navigator page.
post #14663 of 18921 Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

re. MDN v.3.0:

Guide can be filtered to display (just) High Definition channels...or favorites,
but it takes a SECOND Guide button press and it doesn't "stick"...you have to
do it every time you display the Guide.

It is just stupid as not only a second push to bring up the fav but a third to select them and as you say it will not stick.

Also when you bring up the guide you cant just push it a second time to go back to the program you were watching if you had scrolled to look at another channel to see what was on you need to scroll back and push sel or hit the exit buton.
They are going backwards here.

Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home
Desert Cities CA
post #14664 of 18921 Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Samsung 3270 received a major update last night that took approx. 30 minutes to complete. It first displayed a CableCARD update that took about 10 minutes and then a Navigator update took place which lasted about 20 minutes.

I don't know how to check which version of Navigator I have now but they did ad a few new features including DVR compensation(woohoo!) and new 3D support which means nothing to me. Nothing else appears to be different.

Justin in Oneida, NY

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODNĀ | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #14665 of 18921 Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hold select on the remote for several seconds than press the down key for a few seconds. ODN version should be on the first page.
post #14666 of 18921 Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Liked: 11
I also received the update on my 8300C. It moved the "press select for enhancements" down to were mdns is on the channel bar. Speed seems the same. I didn't get a chance to see if this brought 4x ff. I did notice you can change the dvr compensation rate, not sure if that was there before.

I believe the version was 4.1.04 or something like that. Sorry i can't be more specific until i get home from work.
post #14667 of 18921 Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads-up Justin and Boothmaster! When you get your new version number, if you can, change the signature in your profile so we can all see you have been updated. Did any of you get a phone call from TWC about the Navigator update?

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14668 of 18921 Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up Justin and Boothmaster! When you get your new version number, if you can, change the signature in your profile so we can all see you have been updated. Did any of you get a phone call from TWC about the Navigator update?

Jack

I did not get any phone calls or email or anything. When i turned the dvr on this morning it went to channel 01 instead of what it was on when i turned it off so i knew that meant either an update or power failure etc... so i checked the diag page, hoping for an update to fix the horrible speed issues, but it seems more cosmetic, didn't get a real change to test it out though.
post #14669 of 18921 Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For you guys - we are usually 6 months to a year later which is inexcusable. Hopefully if this version does get deployed, we see it right away and it fixes the multitude of issues we are having.

Looks like CNY is going first this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post

My Samsung 3270 received a major update last night that took approx. 30 minutes to complete. It first displayed a CableCARD update that took about 10 minutes and then a Navigator update took place which lasted about 20 minutes.

I don't know how to check which version of Navigator I have now but they did ad a few new features including DVR compensation(woohoo!) and new 3D support which means nothing to me. Nothing else appears to be different.

Justin in Oneida, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothmaster View Post

I also received the update on my 8300C. It moved the "press select for enhancements" down to were mdns is on the channel bar. Speed seems the same. I didn't get a chance to see if this brought 4x ff. I did notice you can change the dvr compensation rate, not sure if that was there before.

I believe the version was 4.1.04 or something like that. Sorry i can't be more specific until i get home from work.

post #14670 of 18921 Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Navigator Update And Other Future Plans for TWC

The preliminary reports are that all the features from the new version of MDN 3.0, just released are on the ODN 4.1 data set:

DVR Compensation (This controls how far you want the DVR to go back when coming out of RR or FF has settings that can be adjusted.)

Guide Filtering: Brings up Show Favorite Channels Only, Show Subscribed Channels Only, Show HD Channels Only, Show PPV Channels Only. Preliminary reports are you must press Guide twice to activate. But at this time, the filtering is only available during a search. Kind of dumb, but better than nothing.

Possible 4x FF on the boxes. I know that some divisions have it, others do not in MDN 3.0. Not sure about ODN 4.1. For those that have the 4x FF, it has been reported that the 15 minute look ahead by holding down the FF arrow has been dropped.

Favorite Channels comes back in a big way! Pressing FAV either takes you from channel to channel like previous versions, or brings up a sub-menu where you can view and adjust all your favorites in a list. This can be changed in settings.

You may or may not have the following in ODN 4.1:

The ability to have Navigator record only to an HD channel, which can be changed in settings. And a setting that adjust the channel banner's lamination. These are two things that TWC is/was working on. I don't know if they made this release or not. But if not, it is supposedly coming.

The ultimate goal for TWC is going to be to take the features that are in the boxes and move them to a "Virtual Cloud" server. They want this to be used for things like back-up data for DVR's and the channels to which you subscribe. What this means is that when you box craps out, the shows/settings of your account would be stored in this "Cloud" and you would be able to get them out of the network when you got a new box.

This is going to allow Navigator to do more things without hardware restrictions, And since the biggest problem that customers have is the boxes dying, this is a great idea! Think of it like "My Services" expanded. The long term goal is to move everything to a virtual cloud environment through a fiber optic network where everything that you subscribe to, such as Digital Cable, Road Runner, and Digital Phone, will be in the cloud. When this happens, all STB boxes and DVR's will be a thing of the past. This long term goal is several years away, but it is what TWC wants to do to improve the quality of its video services on cable.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Reply HDTV Recorders