post #14701 of 18753 Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

I used it Sat night to schedule a recording with no problems. Might be a NY issue.

Yes,

New Yorkers got a Navigator software update for ODN (4.1.06) and Ben said there are at least three cases of instances where Remote DVR Manager has not worked since the update. As only New York so far has ODN 4.1.06, we have no reports of other state divisions to compare Remote DVR Manager to this new version.

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14702 of 18753 Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have had Navigator since 10 May on our SA 8300HD. I cannot find software version. Used press select for few seconds and then down arrow for few seconds to call up info pages. Software versions are on page 14. It reads:
PTV: v6.14.99.1sp
Res: 2.5.0-49-ptv
DAM: 2.5.0-49-ptv
PE: 3.15 (MDN 2.5 dev) Mini Host
Host: 1.38 MDN 2.4

Annoying quirks - no dates on newly recorded shows only the day of the week
and box seems to stay on all the time (resolution and input type lights stay on)
Any suggestions.
post #14703 of 18753 Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevans47 View Post

We have had Navigator since 10 May on our SA 8300HD. I cannot find software version. Used press select for few seconds and then down arrow for few seconds to call up info pages. Software versions are on page 14. It reads:
PTV: v6.14.99.1sp
Res: 2.5.0-49-ptv
DAM: 2.5.0-49-ptv
PE: 3.15 (MDN 2.5 dev) Mini Host
Host: 1.38 MDN 2.4

Annoying quirks - no dates on newly recorded shows only the day of the week
and box seems to stay on all the time (resolution and input type lights stay on)
Any suggestions.

Welcome!

You have the older SA-8300 DVR box, which has the older version of Navigator known as MDN and version 2.5.049 (The newer boxes that run ODN are designated by a C in the model number if they are an SA/Cisco model or a Samsung box. Moterolla also runs Navigator, but I am not sure which boxes go to which version.)

I have the newer SA-8300 HDC box, but I remember my old SA-8300HD, which ran Navigator quite well. To the best of my recollection:

1.) Navigator will show the Day of the week for recorded shows up to 7 days out. Anything on the DVR after 7 days WILL convert to a month/date format. Note that in the DVR List should be able to sort by Title or by Date. It would be cool if a future update allowed that choice to be remembered.

Tip: When it shows the day like the poster described, it is always within the past week. Than the month/date format shows after seven days.

2.) On the display settings. I believe this is set by default. Best advice I could say would be go to Settings on your remote and look for Clock Settings. I think their MIGHT be a setting in there that says OFF, mixed in with Show Time of Day Always/Show Channel Always/Show Channel When Tuning/Show Channel Always. If there is an OFF prompt, and you select that, I believe the box will show nothing when turned off.

Jack

post #14704 of 18753 Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Jack,

We will watch the date thing. No OFF choice so we will live with it, I guess.
By the way we are successfully running a 1TB Apricorn DVRExtender drive. Yeah, didn't die when Navigator came on line.

Mahalo (thanks) again from Hawaii.
post #14705 of 18753 Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Reports from our division have the sub who initially reported the problem still down. TWC Tech came out and basically rewired his whole house (he did have crap levels and old crimp connected RG-59 wiring). He didn't know anything about the RemoteDVR outage and left saying that he did his part to address it. The sub seemed pleased that the tech went through and did everything including a new drop from the pole. I concur with him that the tech indeed did his part versus paying lip service. He called TWC back and was pushed up past level 3 support with no resolution.

I just got off the phone with a TWC rep and she confirmed it is a known issue with reports coming in on it. They are looking into it to fix it on their end. It appears to be a bug in the 4.1 update.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #14706 of 18753 Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 AM

Hello,
I have an SA 8300HD running some flavor of Navigator out of TWC Raleigh-Durham. When I was converted to Navigator some time ago, the external 400GB hard drive which was attached and in use converted over and was working fine.

A couple of days ago, the external drive started making noises; I suspect it was failing. I powered both the external drive and the 8300HD off and rebooted. When the hard drive is not attached, the 8300HD boots fine. When either this suspect drive (or another new drive in the same case) is attached and the 8300HD booted, the display spends several minutes displaying various codes including counting backwards from 400 down to zero in hex. Then it finally displays the 'boot' message. But when the 8300HD finally completes the boot, the external HD is not shown.

Are there flavors of Navigator that will not support an external harddrive? What is the procedure for adding a new hard drive? (Best Buy has a WD 1TB My DVR Extender on sale this week which I may pop for if there is a reasonable chance it will work.)

Lastly, what is the procedure to find out which version of Navigator that I am running?

Thank you for your help!

Kirk
Cary, NC
post #14707 of 18753 Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
All of your questions are answered in the External eSATA HDD Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...16559&page=291

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #14708 of 18753 Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Reports from our division have the sub who initially reported the problem still down. TWC Tech came out and basically rewired his whole house (he did have crap levels and old crimp connected RG-59 wiring). He didn't know anything about the RemoteDVR outage and left saying that he did his part to address it. The sub seemed pleased that the tech went through and did everything including a new drop from the pole. I concur with him that the tech indeed did his part versus paying lip service. He called TWC back and was pushed up past level 3 support with no resolution.

I just got off the phone with a TWC rep and she confirmed it is a known issue with reports coming in on it. They are looking into it to fix it on their end. It appears to be a bug in the 4.1 update.

Thanks Ben,

Good to see that the problem has been escalated to corporate. Due to ODN 4.1 only being in New York divisions at this time, this will allow for an easier update/patch situation.

There is one issue and that is, why wasn't this caught in the lab, as it should have been? You would think that the techs, who get the releases for about 1-3 months before deployment would have DVR Managed some programs and said, "This isn't working." However, sometimes bugs don't show until something is out of Beta.

We will watch for future developments.

Jack

post #14709 of 18753 Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Thanks Ben,

Good to see that the problem has been escalated to corporate. Due to ODN 4.1 only being in New York divisions at this time, this will allow for an easier update/patch situation.

There is one issue and that is, why wasn't this caught in the lab, as it should have been? You would think that the techs, who get the releases for about 1-3 months before deployment would have DVR Managed some programs and said, "This isn't working." However, sometimes bugs don't show until something is out of Beta.

We will watch for future developments.

Jack

My other thought is there is some type of headend issue that may not have been present during Beta, but is local to the division. It's good to know they are working on it.

post #14710 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, reports are coming in that Remote DVR Service has been restored in our area. I just checked via mobile web and that didn't work. I checked via My Services and that did work. Since Navigator is the same version, it was likely a headend issue.

Also, I made the switch to Signature Home today. My install is scheduled for the 26th (at my request). They had openings as early as two days from now, but my schedule doesn't permit it plus I have some recordings to catch up on. I also want it on a day I have off so I can be around. The Pre-install setup was painless & truly like dealing with a completely different set of CSR's. I requested 2 Cisco 8642's and numerous times I was asked to leave feedback after the install. I will report once the install is complete and I have time to play with everything.

The package cost will be $210 (total with taxes and fees)

post #14711 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, reports are coming in that Remote DVR Service has been restored in our area. I just checked via mobile web and that didn't work. I checked via My Services and that did work. Since Navigator is the same version, it was likely a headend issue.

Also, I made the switch to Signature Home today. My install is scheduled for the 26th (at my request). They had openings as early as two days from now, but my schedule doesn't permit it plus I have some recordings to catch up on. I also want it on a day I have off so I can be around. The Pre-install setup was painless & truly like dealing with a completely different set of CSR's. I requested 2 Cisco 8642's and numerous times I was asked to leave feedback after the install. I will report once the install is complete and I have time to play with everything.

Great Ben!

Hope this works out! You will have to keep us posted on how good the PSA "Personal Service Agents" are. So, what made you go with the whole Signature Home thing, instead of just going with Whole House DVR? It sounds like ODN 4.1 did resolve a lot of stuff. (Now that they have fixed Remote DVR, LOL!)

So what where you paying before vs. now with Signature Home? Did you drop all your premium channels? Are you doing the one-year no commitment plan? I hope you and your PSA can talk about the features you still want in Navigator!

Jack

post #14712 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great Ben!

Hope this works out! You will have to keep us posted on how good the PSA "Personal Service Agents" are. So, what made you go with the whole Signature Home thing, instead of just going with Whole House DVR? It sounds like ODN 4.1 did resolve a lot of stuff. (Now that they have fixed Remote DVR, LOL!)

So what where you paying before vs. now with Signature Home? Did you drop all your premium channels? Are you doing the one-year no commitment plan? I hope you and your PSA can talk about the features you still want in Navigator!

Jack

I was paying $170 plus for my Triple Play (with two premiums) and to add Whole Home DVR alone would be another $20 with no second DVR or $20 plus a second DVR fee with a second DVR. That is with a promotional rate of $129 for the base Triple Play package. My premiums were about to go from $6 a month each to $15 a month each at the end of the month because that promo was expiring so I was going to scrap those anyway. I could have kept my base Triple Play for the rate of $129 through November, but after that it would have shot to $154 (plus any taxes and fees). I just made sense to lock into Sig Home now for the rate of $210 (that includes taxes and fees) which is good for one year with no commitment. I end up paying about the same for far more features. Mainly the Wideband Internet, but I wanted Whole Home DVR anyway and this gives it to me with 2 DVR's versus just a DVR and Client.

I look forward to reporting back on the service. In fact, I have to see if there is a dedicated thread for Sig Home because it's not really Navigator related but more of a combined service. I'll post here about Navigator as it relates to the Sig Home product, but don't want people to side track the thread asking about the phone or wideband, etc.

UPDATE: Comfirmed that my Remote DVR is now working via Mobile Web!

post #14713 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Liked: 12
I thought Signature Home was priced at $180. How come your bill is going to be $40 more ?
post #14714 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

I thought Signature Home was priced at $180. How come your bill is going to be $40 more ?

Note he listed $30 more and his price quote includes fees and taxes. /Dan
post #14715 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

Varies by division - Some divisions offer Sig Home for as little as $170. Are you in the CNY Division?

post #14716 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The only bad part when signing up is the 1000 yes's you have utter to the independent agency that verifies that yes you really want to leave your current phone provider and change to TWC digital phone.
post #14717 of 18753 Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
The only bad part when signing up is the 1000 yes's you have utter to the independent agency that verifies that yes you really want to leave your current phone provider and change to TWC digital phone.
Already have Digital Phone, so I didn't deal with that. I'm moving from All The Best into Signature Home.

post #14718 of 18753 Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Yes... the speed difference between the Samsungs and the Ciscos, even when comparing to newer Cisco models, is striking. I've had my 8640 for quite some time now and still miss the speed and full 16:9 graphics (albeit stretched) of the 3090 that I had previously.

It's a shame that the 3090 was availabe in so few locations and for such a short time, because it was even better than the 3270... it had a feature set comparable to the 8640 (e.g., PiP and full set of output connections) combined with speed comparable to the 3270. It also had a more robust HDMI implementation than the 3270, whose handshaking is quite sensitive to turn-on order.

Hey there JC, you finally took the plunge. I remember you saying multiple times you didn't want to give up the 3090 for any of the newer boxes. What happened? Sorry, I've been away from the forum for nearly a year and don't have the time to read a years worth of posts. At least I went back to scan since about Feb. I'm asking because our box is starting to get REALLY SLOW, and it acts kind of weird when you change channels. Stereo system sometimes can't pick up audio signal. I even switched back from optical to digital audio to stereo. Should I go ahead and dump it too?
Also, as a side question, what's the status of external HDD? Working yet?

SMT-H3090
V4.3.5.3
ODN_3.2.0_1
post #14719 of 18753 Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If the 3090 was Samsungs best DVR at least for speed, why did TWC drop them? Or did Samsung just discontinue it for the 3270? How is the speed of the Samsung 3270 compared to the Samsung 3090? Are the Cisco 8640's and 8642's at least getting close to the Samsungs?

Note that the nationwide deployment of ODN Navigator 4.1 SHOULD speed up all ODN Navigator boxes for a better assessment. My SA-8300HDC is slower than my SA-8300 from the MDN days, but nothing intolerable. I might get sometimes a hiccup of about 5 seconds tops in searching or setting scrolls, but usually, Navigation has been good.

I am looking forward to ODN 4.1 for the return of DVR Compensation from the ODN days and 4x FF. (Does that work in RR too?) And the speed boost. At least Ben got up to acceptable levels from the crawls of 4.0!

JC still has the fastest ODN 4.0 that we have seen! Ben, you said you ordered 2 Cisco, 8642 for Signature Home, or what boxes did you request?

Jack

post #14720 of 18753 Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 3270 is pretty fast, then again my 4640HDC aint no slouch either.
post #14721 of 18753 Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the 3090 was Samsungs best DVR at least for speed, why did TWC drop them? Or did Samsung just discontinue it for the 3270? How is the speed of the Samsung 3270 compared to the Samsung 3090? Are the Cisco 8640's and 8642's at least getting close to the Samsungs?

Note that the nationwide deployment of ODN Navigator 4.1 SHOULD speed up all ODN Navigator boxes for a better assessment. My SA-8300HDC is slower than my SA-8300 from the MDN days, but nothing intolerable. I might get sometimes a hiccup of about 5 seconds tops in searching or setting scrolls, but usually, Navigation has been good.

I am looking forward to ODN 4.1 for the return of DVR Compensation from the ODN days and 4x FF. (Does that work in RR too?) And the speed boost. At least Ben got up to acceptable levels from the crawls of 4.0!

JC still has the fastest ODN 4.0 that we have seen! Ben, you said you ordered 2 Cisco, 8642 for Signature Home, or what boxes did you request?

Jack

I requested 8642's because I heard the 3090's were no longer available, but if they bring Samsung boxes I will at least try them. Since Sig Home is supposed to have personalized service, I will get a better response to any issues I may have (I hope!). We will see how it goes once the techs get here and everything is done.

post #14722 of 18753 Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Jack

I think the 3090 and 3270 are pretty comparable in speed. I've never had a 3270, but I have two 3260s and they operate the guide and other GUI functions quite quickly, despite being a single tuner box - hugely better than the 4250 non-DVR I also have. Of course, the 3260 gives me no feel for the 327x recording management speed.

If my 8640/4.0 setup is the fastest, I feel sorry for the rest of ya... The 8640 I have is reasonably quick in guide and GUI navigation - slower than the 3090 was but not ever annoyingly slow. It's the series recording management functions where the 8640 has always been horribly slow relative to the 3090. I have no reason to expect that the 8642 would be any different in this regard compared to the 8640, being that the differences between them are only the presence of the MoCA modem and a larger hard drive. If anything, my gut tells me that the 8642 might be somewhat slower than the 8640 because it is probably running additional code for the multi-room functionality, but I really don't know that to be the case. Even if it's not slower, I don't see how it would be any faster.

BTW, the installed-but-not-yet-running ODN upgrade software on my box has been updated from 4.1.0_5 to 4.1.0_6 (same as Ben's), but the box is still running on 4.0.2_4. Not really caring much if it gets updated... nothing reported to be in 4.1 is of great significance to me, although I can still hope that the annoying DD audio stream behavior of 4.0.2 gets addressed by the update.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #14723 of 18753 Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the series recording management functions where the 8640 has always been horribly slow relative to the 3090. I have no reason to expect that the 8642 would be any different in this regard compared to the 8640, being that the differences between them are only the presence of the MoCA modem and a larger hard drive. If anything, my gut tells me that the 8642 might be somewhat slower than the 8640 because it is probably running additional code for the multi-room functionality, but I really don't know that to be the case. Even if it's not slower, I don't see how it would be any faster.

I don't have a Series Recording speed issue. BUT, I only have maybe one or two series set up most of the time. I wonder if setting up more series yields slower scheduling times because Navigator has to do more conflict resolution managing? I get about a maximum of a five second wait, maybe once it was ten seconds when Series Manager updates. Sometimes it will say, "Updating your scheduled recordings" and sometimes it will just do it.

I am glad that ODN takes away that message from MDN that appears all the time that said something like "System is updating your recordings, This may take awhile. Press "A" to continue watching television." I am paraphrasing here, but what's the difference between pressing "A" to clear the screen or just letting it do its thing? What's that other message in ODN like "Press Exit to Escape Menu?"

My feeling is that a manual over-ride is more likely to generate a box freeze or reboot than letting Navigator finish its task. However, I haven't had the need to manually over-ride, because responses, while not allows stellar, are above average. If ODN 4.1 gives me another speed boost it will be interesting. Here is what I would say about my SA-8300 HDC for speed:

Scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best on SA-8300 HDC for speed. (ODN) 7

Scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best on SA-8300 HD for speed. (MDN) 9

Hopeful speed after ODN 4.1 update. 8 or better.

So it sounds like the Samsungs are a solid 9 all the way around. Things are getting better.

Jack

post #14724 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, Signature Home is installed. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so for those interested I started a separate thread dedicated to Signature Home.

You can find it HERE!

Note that I got virgin boxes and they had a while to download and update, but they are still running 4.1. Performance of Navigator is the same as on my 4642 and 8640 but I now have Multi-Room.
phildaant likes this.

post #14725 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got the 8642 cisco box and a harmony one remote. My current tv lamp died (so waiting on new one to be delivered) so I moved an old 19" crt tv down and attached it to the box and we've been using that for the last 2 days. One of the things I've noticed is how fast the TW remote works with the 8642 compared to my harmony remote. So I am looking at the inter-key delay option so see what I can adjust. Currently it is set to 0 ms, anyone else using this setup? What is your interkey-delay set for with the 8642 cisco box? I thought initially it was just navigator being extremely slow and never bothered to try the actual TW remote that came with the box.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #14726 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Harmony 900 and the remote works just the same as the OEM Time Warner remote here. You could try resetting and loading the remote over again.

post #14727 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
I've got the 8642 cisco box and a harmony one remote. My current tv lamp died (so waiting on new one to be delivered) so I moved an old 19" crt tv down and attached it to the box and we've been using that for the last 2 days. One of the things I've noticed is how fast the TW remote works with the 8642 compared to my harmony remote. So I am looking at the inter-key delay option so see what I can adjust. Currently it is set to 0 ms, anyone else using this setup? What is your interkey-delay set for with the 8642 cisco box? I thought initially it was just navigator being extremely slow and never bothered to try the actual TW remote that came with the box.
Inter-key delay of 0ms should be fine. Are you connected to your regular set via HDMI and to your CRT via analog? If so the delays that you are seeing with your regular set might be due to handshaking between the set and the 8642. When you get the lamp replaced see how delays are using both remotes.

Dave Hancock
post #14728 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Inter-key delay of 0ms should be fine. Are you connected to your regular set via HDMI and to your CRT via analog? If so the delays that you are seeing with your regular set might be due to handshaking between the set and the 8642. When you get the lamp replaced see how delays are using both remotes.

Yeah i'm HDMI to the hd tv and coax to the crt. The delays are not really when changing channels, but just pulling up the guide and scrolling through it. That should have no effect on what connection I'm using I would think. But yeah i'm hoping to put the new lamp in tonight and check each remote individually.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #14729 of 18753 Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

My One seems to be faster than TWC remote
post #14730 of 18753 Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cisco boxes are pretty quick with the "grandma" remote, which has big buttons, but lacks the day buttons.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page