Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #14761 of 18920 Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a known problem with Samsungs. The TV interferes with IR signals for about 10 minutes after being turned on.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14762 of 18920 Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

It's a known problem with Samsungs. The TV interferes with IR signals for about 10 minutes after being turned on.

If the tv caused the problem by interfering with IR signals, then I would have had the same problem when the tv was getting the HDMI cable box signal through my receiver. I had no problem with that hookup, so I guess I will put up with this until my receiver comes back from the shop.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #14763 of 18920 Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

If the tv caused the problem by interfering with IR signals, then I would have had the same problem when the tv was getting the HDMI cable box signal through my receiver. I had no problem with that hookup, so I guess I will put up with this until my receiver comes back from the shop.

Not necessarily. When your AVR is connected the handshake procedure is different and the AVR acts as a bridge between the two.

Connect it with component as Jack suggested and your problem will vanish. No handshake involved.

post #14764 of 18920 Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...rner_Cable.php

Looks like TWC is looking at moving over to Gateways. This might work as it's expensive to deploy the current MR-DVR solution. Gateways can take advantage of cheaper client boxes, which can save TWC some money. 1TB and 6 tuners of storage. DirecTV is doing something similar as well.
post #14765 of 18920 Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I'v seen this in a thread before and if I remember they put tape over the ir reciever on the cable box and I think some needed more than one layer for it to work.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home
Desert Cities CA
post #14766 of 18920 Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDO CA

I'v seen this in a thread before and if I remember they put tape over the ir reciever on the cable box and I think some needed more than one layer for it to work.
How can I operate the cable box if its receiver is covered with tape??? It seems like using component video is the best workaround until I get back the receiver that has HDMI capabilities and had no problem.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #14767 of 18920 Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Liked: 12
Another day, another slew of missed recording.

Actually, this time they recorded about 3/4 of the way through and for some reason the "channel was not available" to record the endings.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #14768 of 18920 Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post

Another day, another slew of missed recording.

Actually, this time they recorded about 3/4 of the way through and for some reason the "channel was not available" to record the endings.

Ditch the Samsung box and try a Cisco. I have had no issues with missed recording on the Cisco boxes. I have heard some complaints about the Samsung boxes though.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #14769 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 55
How's the 4.1.XX rollout going? I'm wondering how long before it makes its way out to the west coast. I'm in San Diego, so we used to be a place that got those rollouts early, but now, who knows when we'll see it.
post #14770 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

How's the 4.1.XX roll-out going? I'm wondering how long before it makes its way out to the west coast. I'm in San Diego, so we used to be a place that got those rollouts early, but now, who knows when we'll see it.

TWC has a direct to tech corporate forum here:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

It requires registration, or if you have a DSLReports.com account already you can use that. Only people who create questions can read the answers on the board. It is a secure site. I asked about the Navigator update in Wisconsin to ODN 4.1 and was told between July and August. You can let them know your service area, and they are pretty good with follow up. I asked about Keyword Search. They did not provide a specific answer, but said they are currently testing features that will make the boxes much better.

Best thing to do would be, ask the Gator questions for your area, and let us know what they say. However, since this part of our AVS forum is a Navigator forum, try to keep the answers related only to Navigator. The direct-to-tech forum is for ALL TWC operations and equipment. Make sure you read the instructions at the site before posting.

Jack

PS. One thing I found out. TWC REALLY is making a big deal about that being a secure forum. THEREFORE, IF YOU GET ANY ANSWERS, DON'T JUST COPY AND PASTE FROM THAT FORUM INTO THIS FORUM. TWC HAS BEEN READING THESE FORUMS AND THEY MIGHT MAKE A STINK IF THEY SEE SECURE ANSWER STATEMENTS JUST COPIED INTO AVS HERE! That might make them close the direct-to-tech forum, so for Navigator stuff, I THINK WE SHOULD JUST PARAPHRASE WHAT WE FIND OUT.

The only reason why I am posting the link is because my sources seem to indicate that Charlotte North Carolina and San Diego California are no longer early releases for Navigator updates. Therefor it appears that the direct-to-tech forum link will be the only way to get any answers about upcoming Navigator features/updates, so we need to not blow this, and post responsibly.

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #14771 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just posted on engadget about upgrades coming to TW boxes in late June:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/17/t...-ipad-app-dvr/

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #14772 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

TWC is probably not going to like that link. Better copy and paste the article and save all the photos before it gets taken down by TWC lawyers.
post #14773 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 497
Still looks as crude and SD as it always has. It's starting to remind me of Windows 98.

post #14774 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Still looks as crude and SD as it always has. It's starting to remind me of Windows 98.

Samsung boxes get stretched graphics.
post #14775 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Keyword search isn't being mentioned in this release. Then again, the cloud UI will most likely have it. I'm sure the iPad app will have it as well.
post #14776 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
WTF - Still no Guide Filter!?!?!?

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #14777 of 18920 Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If I turn the volume down to the very softest -- all the way to the left -- that last click will make the sound very loud, even louder than if I turn it all the way up. I have two Cisco boxes and it does the same thing on both boxes. I use the no sound feature a lot. I am a big sports fan and my wife not so much so many times I will watch an event without the sound and do not want the captioning so I used to just turn the sound all the way down or off. Both boxes have a separate sound system than the original. One is 5.1 and the other is a sound bar. but if I switch back to the TV sound I have the same issue. No one I have talked to at TWC has any idea what is wrong but they will send a tech guy out Tuesday. Any one have any ideas? Help!
post #14778 of 18920 Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

WTF - Still no Guide Filter!?!?!?

Ben,

I have been thinking about this. We know that MDN 3.0 is the last major MDN build for Navigator. (For the newbies, MDN is for the non-C boxes that are NOT Samsungs) This version has a temporary guide filter by pressing Guide twice, allowing a sort by:

Favorite Channels
Subscribed Channels
HD Channels
PPV/VOD Channels

TWC knows, that aside from bug-fixes this MDN 3.0 build will be the last for the legacy boxes, so they gave subs with those boxes a temporary filter.

I think that the next build, after ODN 4.5, MIGHT be 5.0, and it will probably have some of the virtual-cloud features that will bring about a more advanced guide and searching. TWC could really incorporate keyword search and guide-filtering as one and make a big deal about it as part of the virtual cloud experience. Additionally, we might start to see other applets as a part of the project, such as video game channels, expanding VOD, expanding choices on future projects for TWC will involve Mobility and Integration.

Having Navigator do the things, that hardware restrictions prohibited. The more they can rely on the servers and mobile applets, and the LESS requirements for the boxes will allow TWC Navigator to hopefully do things better in terms of efficiency and reliability. I mean, they can do keyword searches and guide filtering with Remote DVR Manager and presumably the new TWC TV 2.0 for i-Pad, coming end of this month, so they obviously care about it. I think it is just getting that functionality into Navigator without that logic slowing up the speed of the boxes.

Since Signature Home is a big deal to TWC, Ben, the next time you talk to your PSA Supervisor, you should talk about the advantages of a quality guide-filtering system, that Navigator currently lacks in the ODN build. Signature Home staffers seem to take all of TWC's products more seriously than the regular techs.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14779 of 18920 Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny that Ben said that there was no guide filter as the leaked release notes mention MDN parity. Of course, this could change as it's not a final build.
post #14780 of 18920 Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Funny that Ben said that there was no guide filter as the leaked release notes mention MDN parity. Of course, this could change as it's not a final build.

But remember, Ben's got ODN 4.1.06 (I think.) This is supposed to be ODN 4.5.xx so maybe there will be a guide filter. So far, I have only heard of Ben's ODN 4.1 build released in NYC and surrounding areas. However, Rome/Syracuse sections of NY had some issues with ODN 4.0.24, which were resolved in 4.1. It seems only Ben's area had widespread issues with ODN 4.0.24.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14781 of 18920 Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

Just posted on engadget about upgrades coming to TW boxes in late June:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/17/t...-ipad-app-dvr/

Will our boxes automatically update to this software at some point?
post #14782 of 18920 Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Will our boxes automatically update to this software at some point?

Yes,

Provided that you have the newer version of the software called ODN Navigator, which is easy to recognize:

1.) If you own any Cisco or SA TWC box or DVR, with a C in the model number, you are running the newest version of Navigator called ODN.

2.) If you have any Samsung box, you also have the newest version of Navigator. Both examples (1) and (2) will provide you with the latest software and continued upcoming features.

HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT MULTI-ROOM DVR (a.k.a) WHOLE HOUSE DVR, A TECH VISIT IS REQUIRED TO INSTALL THE ODN NAVIGATOR MULTI-ROOM BOXES. They have to put a filter trap on the drop line. You would than need either the Cisco 8642 (or higher when available) or the Samsung 3272 (or higher when available.) Some of the Moterolla's support multi-room DVR, but as my division does not carry them, I can't comment on them.

3.) The legacy versions of Navigator run on all of the boxes that do not have C's in the model numbers and are NOT Samsungs. This is called MDN. The last version of Navigator for MDN is version 3.0. Other than bug fixes, there will not be anymore MDN versions of Navigator released, because the legacy boxes are no longer being made.

HOWEVER, if you have a legacy box and it is working well for you, and you have no plans to go to Multi-room DVR, KEEP THE LEGACY BOX!!! There are instances where most of the MDN boxes, even though they are older, run Navigator FASTER than the newer ODN models! The very, very old Pioneer, and SA models 1000-3000 are slow. But the SA-4000 units are fast. DVR models at or above the SA-8240 running MDN are faster than some of the newer boxes! MDN, remember is a TWC Navigator box that is Not a Samsung, and also does NOT have a C in the model number.

Note that the speed is improving on the ODN boxes with subsequent updates, but this can vary from division to division. The MDN boxes have smaller hard drives (160GB), but you can add an expander hard drive if you need more space. Western Digital drive expanders are the best for MDN DVR's. Most (not all) of the ODN DVR's have 320GB. I believe that all of the multi-room DVR's have 500GB hard drives. Whether or not drive expanders work with ODN, has been a mixed bag. ODN 4.0.24 (the latest widespread build) SEEMS to work with drive expanders in MOST cases, BUT since many customers have the bigger drives built into the newer ODN DVR's, they have not had the need for the drive expander.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14783 of 18920 Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

IF YOU WANT MULTI-ROOM DVR (a.k.a) WHOLE HOUSE DVR... You would than need either the Cisco 8642 (or higher when available) or the Samsung 3270

Hi Jack...

Small correction... the 3272 is the minimum Samsung multi-room box. The 3270 does not have the MoCA modem.

Joe

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #14784 of 18920 Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Hi Jack...

Small correction... the 3272 is the minimum Samsung multi-room box. The 3270 does not have the MoCA modem.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14785 of 18920 Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Hi Jack...

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Thanks Joe!

Jack

I made the correction above as well.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14786 of 18920 Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Holy Smoke! ... and I've got 3 of them.
post #14787 of 18920 Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Holy Smoke! ... and I've got 3 of them.
can anyone copy the article? have to be a member to read it, or just the list of devices would be nice

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #14788 of 18920 Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post
can anyone copy the article? have to be a member to read it, or just the list of devices would be nice
Here's two different links to the NYT article, as well as the text of the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us...gewanted=print

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26cable.html

June 25, 2011

Atop TV Sets, a Power Drain That Runs Nonstop

By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL

Those little boxes that usher cable signals and digital recording capacity into televisions have become the single largest electricity drain in many American homes, with some typical home entertainment configurations eating more power than a new refrigerator and even some central air-conditioning systems.

There are 160 million so-called set-top boxes in the United States, one for every two people, and that number is rising. Many homes now have one or more basic cable boxes as well as add-on DVRs, or digital video recorders, which use 40 percent more power than the set-top box.

One high-definition DVR and one high-definition cable box use an average of 446 kilowatt hours a year, about 10 percent more than a 21-cubic-foot energy-efficient refrigerator, a recent study found.

These set-top boxes are energy hogs mostly because their drives, tuners and other components are generally running full tilt, or nearly so, 24 hours a day, even when not in active use. The recent study, by the Natural Resources Defense Council, concluded that the boxes consumed $3 billion in electricity per year in the United States — and that 66 percent of that power is wasted when no one is watching and shows are not being recorded. That is more power than the state of Maryland uses over 12 months.

“People in the energy efficiency community worry a lot about these boxes, since they will make it more difficult to lower home energy use,” said John Wilson, a former member of the California Energy Commission who is now with the San Francisco-based Energy Foundation. “Companies say it can’t be done or it’s too expensive. But in my experience, neither one is true. It can be done, and it often doesn’t cost much, if anything.”

The perpetually “powered on” state is largely a function of design and programming choices made by electronics companies and cable and Internet providers, which are related to the way cable networks function in the United States. Fixes exist, but they are not currently being mandated or deployed in the United States, critics say.

Similar devices in some European countries, for example, can automatically go into standby mode when not in use, cutting power drawn by half. They can also go into an optional “deep sleep,” which can reduce energy consumption by about 95 percent compared with when the machine is active.

One British company, Pace, sells such boxes to American providers, who do not take advantage of the reduced energy options because of worries that the lowest energy states could disrupt service. Cable companies say customers will not tolerate the time it takes to reboot the system once the system has been shut down or put to sleep.

“The issue of having more efficient equipment is of interest to us,” said Justin Venech, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable. But, he added, “when we purchase the equipment, functionality and cost are the primary considerations.”

But energy efficiency experts say that technical fixes could eliminate or minimize the waiting time and inconvenience, some at little expense. Low-energy European systems reboot from deep sleep in one to two minutes.

Alan Meier, a scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, said of the industry in the United States, “I don’t want to use the word ‘lazy,’ but they have had different priorities, and saving energy is not one of them.”

The Environmental Protection Agency has established Energy Star standards for set-top boxes and has plans to tighten them significantly by 2013, said Ann Bailey, director of Energy Star product labeling, in an e-mail. The voluntary seal indicates products that use energy efficiently. But today, there are many boxes on the list of products that meet the Energy Star standard that do not offer an automatic standby or sleep mode.

“If you hit the on/off button it only dims the clock, it doesn’t significantly reduce power use,” said Noah Horowitz, senior scientist at the natural resources council.

Energy efficiency is a function of hardware, software, the cable network and how a customer uses the service, said Robert Turner, an engineer at Pace, which makes set-top boxes that can operate using less power while not in active use.

Sometimes energy efficiency can be vastly improved by remotely adjusting software over a cable, Mr. Turner said. In this way, Pace reduced the energy consumption of some of its older boxes by half.

Cable boxes are not designed to be turned completely off, and even when in deep sleep mode, it takes time to reconnect and “talk” with their cable or satellite network, though that time is highly variable depending on the technology.

Mr. Wilson said he routinely unplugged his set-top boxes at night and waited only 45 seconds for television in the morning. But Dr. Meier said that when he tried to power down his home system at night, it took “hours” to reboot because the provider “downloaded the programming guide in a very inefficient way.”

Cable providers and box manufacturers like Cisco Systems, Samsung and Motorola currently do not feel consumer pressure to improve box efficiency. Customers are generally unaware of the problem — they do not know to blame the unobtrusive little device for the rise in their electricity bills, and do not choose their boxes anyway.

Those devices may cause an increase of as little as a few dollars a month or well over $10 for a home with many devices. In Europe, electricity rates are often double those in the United States, providing greater financial motivation to conserve.

Cisco Systems, one of the largest makers of set-top boxes, said in an e-mail that they would offer some new models this year that would cut consumption by 25 percent “through reduced power used in ‘on’ and standby states.” There will be no deep sleep or fully “off” setting.

But Cisco said that taking advantage of the potential energy savings for a box would also depend on “how it is operated by the service provider.” Cable and satellite providers will have to decide whether the boxes can automatically go to standby, for example, and whether customers will be able to adjust their own settings. Currently, providers often do system maintenance and download information at night over the cable, so an ever-at-the ready cable box is more convenient for them.

Cable companies can become Energy Star “partners” if they agree to install or upgrade boxes so that 25 percent to 50 percent of the homes they serve have “energy star qualified” equipment. The E.P.A. merely encourages providers to use units that can automatically power down at least partly when not in use.

But as of Sept. 1, typical electricity consumption of Energy Star qualified products would drop to 97 kilowatt hours a year from an average of 138; and then by the middle of 2013, they must drop again to 29 kilowatt hours a year. Companies have fought the placement of the “Energy Star” seal on products and the new ambitious requirements, which may still be modified before enacted.

Mr. Wilson recalled that when he was on the California Energy Commission, he asked box makers why the hard drives were on all the time, using so much power. The answer: “Nobody asked us to use less.”

The biggest challenge in reducing energy use is maintaining the rapid response time now expected of home entertainment systems, Mr. Turner said. “People are used to the idea that computers take some time to boot up,” he said, “but they expect the TV to turn on instantly.”

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #14789 of 18920 Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Navigator 4.1.06 is now showing up in other markets outside of New York City. A user from Austin, Texas reports that their non-DVR box was updated this morning:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r195...tor~start=1420

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #14790 of 18920 Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Minor correction, Jack, I don't think NYC is at 4.1 yet. At least, I'm in NYC, and I'm still 4.0.24 last time I checked.

-barry
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page