post #15151 of 18921 Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Samsungs don't have PIP or RF Passthrough, I turned down the Samsungs when the installer tried to use them because I like the PIP feature.

Also, the update to 5.0.0_6 proved worthless on the user end. No features added and the guide is still slow. The build date is this past September, so I'm guessing it's the most up to date. This doesn't bode well for Time Warner as nothing significant is being added to the feature set. I'd really like to see release notes to know what the hell they are concentrating on.

I know Ben!

If only we could sit on a Navigator Developers staff meeting! All our questions and concerns would be explored, and we would have a better understanding of why they are doing what they are doing, and have less surprises, and be like WTF? Right now, it sucks, nobody in the general public knows what's coming and we have been waiting six years and still lack basic feature sets.

At least we can hope that 5.0.06 is more stable than 5.0.03!

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15152 of 18921 Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

I found out that Guide Transparency is activated at the head end like Caller ID on TV. You should see it in Navigator ODN settings within 24-48 hours of the update to ODN 4.1 or higher. You must be running ODN Navigator and your division must be at 4.1 or above to activate this setting.

Other features with the ODN update: (Navigator 4.1+ Higher)

1.) Settings for Start Over/Lookback are now Savable
2.) Channel Banner has Embedded Menus
3.) High Definition has it's own settings in settings (moved from Display)
4.) 4x FF
5.) Whole House DVR clients can now delete a show on any box in the home.
6.) DVR Compensation: Controls amount of jump back coming out of FF/REW to play to compensate for customer reaction time. Settings are Normal (Default), More, Less, or Off.
7.) Improved Speed, HDMI, and other bug fixes.

Jack

Without going too far back to try to find this.....isn't ODN the guide for folks with the "C" type box? I have an 8300HD, so I'm MDN and that's why no transparency? Or do I have that backwards or all wrong? I do have the DVR Compensation setting and the 4xFF.
post #15153 of 18921 Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Without going too far back to try to find this.....isn't ODN the guide for folks with the "C" type box? I have an 8300HD, so I'm MDN and that's why no transparency? Or do I have that backwards or all wrong? I do have the DVR Compensation setting and the 4xFF.

What Boxes Are Right For Me? (Help Guide)

The ODN boxes are the newest versions of the TWC Navigator software that run on the C-model boxes AND the Samsungs.

The MDN boxes are the non-C boxes and any boxes that are not a Samsung.

MDN boxes are being phased out, but are reportedly faster with the Navigator software, (provided that you have an SA-8240 or SA-8300 if you are a DVR subscriber.) The only difference between the MDN SA-8240 and the MDN SA-8300, is the SA-8300 has it's own Digital Tuner. Non-DVR users, should have either a Samsung 3000 series box (or higher when available,) OR a Cisco 4000 series box (or higher when available) for best guide results.

MDN boxes work with Drive Expanders that are optional and not supported by TWC. Western Digital is considered the best choice to compensate for MDN's smaller hard drives, by giving much added storage.

ODN boxes are all C-model boxes with the FCC Cable Card Mandates as of July 1, 2007 and Samsungs. They tend to be a bit slower than NDN, but the newer models have bigger hard drives, and are likely to get new features faster. There's the SA/Cisco 8240HDC, the SA/Cisco8300HDC, the newer Cisco 8640HDC and the Cisco 8642HDC

ODN boxes for Samsung are the Samsung 3090 and the newer Samsung 3270 and 3272.

Newer ODN C boxes come with a 320GB hard-drive built-in. Whole House DVR models are the Cisco 8642 and the Samsung 3272. Whole House DVR models have 500GB hard drives built in, BUT require a truck roll to put a filter on the line. Users who may get a Whole House DVR through an office box swap, will still have the 500 GB's of storage, but will have the Whole House feature disabled by default. Note that Samsung models 3270 and 3272 lack PIP, due to a decision made by Samsung. They are a bit faster than the SA-C model/Cisco counterparts.

Optional Drive expanders are hit and miss with the ODN boxes.

The most widely used ODN box is the SA-8300HDC. A bit slow and laggy, but updates have made it a bit faster. The catch with the SA-8300HDC, is that it still has the smaller 160GB hard drive.

All SA-boxes at model 3000 or below (non-DVR models) do not have the memory to run Navigator well. The same is true for any Pioneer boxes. Much too old to handle the new software.

Jack

PS. Guide Transparency is activated at the TWC head-end for your division, generally within two days of an update to ODN 4.1 or higher. I don't think it is on any versions of MDN at this time. It is the decision of the division whether or not they choose to activate it.

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15154 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lately, my STB has been intermittently laggy on FF. I press FF the requisite 4 times, then the TV screen just looks at me stupidly for 5+ seconds (seems like 5 minutes). I don't dare FF again, because it eventually wakes up and obeys me, having buffered however many presses I sent it. As I said, intermittent behavior, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I've been a software developer for 40+ years, so I tend to defend my fellow developers.

I developed s/w myself for quite a few years, and I would have been ashamed had this been my work. The only possible excuses that would absolve the programmers (IMHO) would be unreasonable management or inflexible development tools. Lacking those, I personally find no excuse.

I did stumble into Rew from the end of program screen, but there's some other flavor of the end screen where it doesn't work. More inconsistency, such as how sometimes you can page up or down between options, but sometimes you have to single arrow through.

Another ridiculous "feature" I've encountered is that where MDN would give you the "I'm going to record on another channel in 1 minute - Accept or Cancel?" popup ... my ODN "helpfully" pops the message up if I'm already watching the exact same channel. If, however, I'm recording on one channel while watching a second, and the DVR is set to record a program on a third channel, there's no such popup. It just abruptly tunes to the third channel and starts recording.

Back in my programming days, I would always code and test for all such "edge" and "endpoint" type situations like that which I could think of, and would do everything in my power to make sure they were handled correctly. That seems to be of no concern to whichever low bidder developers TWC farmed out Navigator development.

Just my 11 cents.

ODN 7.2.0_11, Cisco 8742HDC
post #15155 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post

I developed s/w myself for quite a few years, and I would have been ashamed had this been my work. The only possible excuses that would absolve the programmers (IMHO) would be unreasonable management or inflexible development tools. Lacking those, I personally find no excuse.

I did stumble into Rew from the end of program screen, but there's some other flavor of the end screen where it doesn't work. More inconsistency, such as how sometimes you can page up or down between options, but sometimes you have to single arrow through.

Another ridiculous "feature" I've encountered is that where MDN would give you the "I'm going to record on another channel in 1 minute - Accept or Cancel?" popup ... my ODN "helpfully" pops the message up if I'm already watching the exact same channel. If, however, I'm recording on one channel while watching a second, and the DVR is set to record a program on a third channel, there's no such popup. It just abruptly tunes to the third channel and starts recording.

Back in my programming days, I would always code and test for all such "edge" and "endpoint" type situations like that which I could think of, and would do everything in my power to make sure they were handled correctly. That seems to be of no concern to whichever low bidder developers TWC farmed out Navigator development.

Just my 11 cents.

Just from my dealings with Time Warner, I would imagine that it's piss poor management. The whole Navigator experiment should have been scrubbed and farmed out to a third party that specializes in set top box coding like Aptiv who did Passport. I'd gladly pay a small fee to offset licensing in order to have a functional guide/DVR.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #15156 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just from my dealings with Time Warner, I would imagine that it's piss poor management. The whole Navigator experiment should have been scrubbed and farmed out to a third party that specializes in set top box coding like Aptiv who did Passport. I'd gladly pay a small fee to offset licensing in order to have a functional guide/DVR.

TWC just do not have the experienced programmers when compared to Tivo, or Passport, to develop a modern-generation guide. Management either does not care, or is not knowledgeable as to the components of a modern guide. The evidence of Navigator's going on seven years in the field speaks volumes.

Ben's Signature Home nightmares aside for the moment, in general, TWC's greatest success has been in Road Runner High Speed Internet, Digital Phone, and i-Pad. This is where the company shows strongest dedication and commitment.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15157 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TWC just do not have the experienced programmers when compared to Tivo, or Passport, to develop a modern-generation guide. Management either does not care, or is not knowledgeable as to the components of a modern guide. The evidence of Navigator's going on seven years in the field speaks volumes.

Ben's Signature Home nightmares aside for the moment, in general, TWC's greatest success has been in Road Runner High Speed Internet, Digital Phone, and i-Pad. This is where the company shows strongest dedication and commitment.

Jack

Just to comment: My Roadrunner standard was always awesome - the wideband is where all the issues are and that's the equipment plain and simple.

My issue with TWC pooling so much of its resources on niche things like the iPad. Mot everyone has an iPad, but just about everyone has a digital set top. Don't mistake me, I WANT iPad and iPhone apps, but they should really concentrate on getting Navigator up to snuff.

post #15158 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to comment: My Roadrunner standard was always awesome - the wideband is where all the issues are and that's the equipment plain and simple.

My issue with TWC pooling so much of its resources on niche things like the iPad. Mot everyone has an iPad, but just about everyone has a digital set top. Don't mistake me, I WANT iPad and iPhone apps, but they should really concentrate on getting Navigator up to snuff.

I agree 100% Ben!

And it's like you and I have said for five years. TWC NEVER wanted Navigator to be a great guide. Just ok enough to prevent people from switching to another vendor. And many believe they have even failed at that! Navigator was developed for three main reasons:

1.) So TWC could have a monopolistic control over Navigator's updates and features.

2.) So TWC would not have to pay outside vender's like Passport for updates.

3.) So TWC could develop little applets that they could call their own as a marketing tool. (Start-Over, Look Back, Signature Home.) If people can find and manage there shows, it's like "OK, we've done our part."

The problem with Navigator is that TWC are NOT program guide people, and they never will be. They provide cable programing-but even Tribune Media Services handles all the guide data, so it's not like TWC has control over that. TWC are cable people, like let's send signals to the home, and swap out bad boxes, and tell people how to reboot. They aren't knowledgeable and skilled with the hardware and creating a quality guide compared to Passport and Tivo. TWC is also an Internet Company and a Phone Company. Navigator is #10-#20 on any priority list

TWC makes so much money off of Internet and Phone Service. But Tivo and Passport took ALL their time and money into developing Program Guides and how they work on the boxes, because that is the meat and potatoes of what they do. Passport/Aptiv TV and Tivo are not three things at once like TWC. And in TWC's quest to try to integrate customers with all three services at once, they didn't have the manpower and personnel to do three things well. Therefore, the focus went to the money-makers: Road-Runner, and Digital Phone. It also went to new gimmicky things like Start Over and Look Back so TWC could say, "We have it, AT&T Uverse, and Dish Don't."

It's sad that TV viewership is dropping and that so few general populations are content with a mediocre guide. There probably isn't that big an incentive to TWC to fix Navigator's bugs. I think TWC management believes that General Populations are so oblivious to proper HD set up and technologies that they think, "Well if general customers don't care, or are content with Navigator-than I think what we have is good enough." High Speed Internet and Quality Phone service to TWC, are more important than adding useful guide features.

There just aren't enough people like Ben, others on this board, and me making management decisions at TWC to show them how and why the IPG should be a much higher priority than what TWC believes.

When you develop something in house to save money, the quality of the product generally suffers. This is TWC Navigator in a nutshell.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15159 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

JACK!!!! Slipstream update!!!

Not to derail your rant, but I just discovered this tonight at 10:30pm!

Navigator has gotten keyword search! I checked after the initial update to 5.0.0_6 and it had the standard layout. I went again to check tonight and was shocked to see the screen below! You can search by category -IE: Actor, Title, Popular, etc. OR you can search by ALL which I demo in the picture. I searched for Jerry Seinfeld. Note, the version still shows 5.0.0_6 when I check the diagnostics. So, one step in the right direction, but MUCH, MUCH further to go.
LL

post #15160 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Navigator has gotten keyword search! I checked after the initial update to 5.0.0_6 and it had the standard layout. I went again to check tonight and was shocked to see the screen below! You can search by category -IE: Actor, Title, Popular, etc. OR you can search by ALL which I demo in the picture. I searched for Jerry Seinfeld. Note, the version still shows 5.0.0_6 when I check the diagnostics. So, one step in the right direction, but MUCH, MUCH further to go.

Holy!!!!!!! SHITE!!!!!!!! Ben I am almost too shocked to write!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you TWC!!!!!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15161 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

we dont have it here in the oneida area

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #15162 of 18921 Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

TWC NEVER wanted Navigator to be a great guide. Just ok enough to prevent people from switching to another vendor.

The sure seemed to be the case. That's why we switched. I'm sure it meant nothing and went nowhere, but, when I called to cancel TWC service and was asked why, I said it was solely due to the poor software on the set top box.
post #15163 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Latest Samsung numbers are

SMT-C8340 (Pretty sure this is a WH-DVR of some sort.)
SMT-H3362 (MoCA Client for SMT-C8340.)
SMT-C6340 (Don't know what this box is)

My work here is done, as I probably won't be with TWC much longer. I might switch to either U-verse or DirecTV. It's not because of Navigator, it's because both are offering a good deal. Who knows, as there might eventually be a really good TWC deal. I might still post here from time to time.
post #15164 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

we dont have it here in the oneida area

What box(es) do you have? I have two 8642HDC set tops for multi-room and am still a Signature Home customer (for now). Maybe that has something to do with it.

post #15165 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is so awesome!

Ben, that screen shot of the keyboard looks so much more modern and clean. So now, when you press B to Find Shows on ODN 5.0.6, does it take you right to the Keyboard screen?

Are the other menus, (i.e Access Menu, (A Button), Settings Button,) set up with different screens too?

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15166 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the new "B" button functionality. It gives you a whole subset of options to find programming and the keyboard is only one of them. There is even a tab for Favorites (which has me hopeful for some kind of Guide Filter), but it doesn't do anything right now. I click to set it up and nothing happens. I'll post some more screen shots soon! The update seems to have added some speed to menu navigation but there is still horrible guide lag. Stay Tuned!

ADD ON:

Ok, it's a nice addition, but the implementation still is flawed. You can't set the search filter. Everytime you bring up the keyboard it resets to TITLE, so to use the ALL function (which should be the default) still takes about 4 steps to set EVERYTIME. Why on earth they even gave you options of by title, actor, etc. is beyond me and totally pointless. It should not have anything, but keyword (ALL) then no matter what you type in, it will find all relevant items. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! It's like the temp Guide Filter in MDN. The box does remember which tab you left off on though. So, when you hit "B", if you left it on the Keyboard option, that's where it opens. So, this is a huge step in the right direction, but still not very user friendly. I'm really interested in the Favorites menu and what they will do with that.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #15167 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the new "B" button functionality. It gives you a whole subset of options to find programming and the keyboard is only one of them. There is even a tab for Favorites (which has me hopeful for some kind of Guide Filter), but it doesn't do anything right now. I click to set it up and nothing happens. I'll post some more screen shots soon! The update seems to have added some speed to menu navigation but there is still horrible guide lag. Stay Tuned!

ADD ON:

OK, it's a nice addition, but the implementation still is flawed. You can't set the search filter. Everytime you bring up the keyboard it resets to TITLE, so to use the ALL function (which should be the default) still takes about 4 steps to set EVERYTIME. Why on earth they even gave you options of by title, actor, etc. is beyond me and totally pointless. It should not have anything, but keyword (ALL) then no matter what you type in, it will find all relevant items. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! It's like the temp Guide Filter in MDN. The box does remember which tab you left off on though. So, when you hit "B", if you left it on the Keyboard option, that's where it opens. So, this is a huge step in the right direction, but still not very user friendly. I'm really interested in the Favorites menu and what they will do with that.

Thanks Ben!

Yea,

Searching should default to All instead of Title, but at least the searching has been greatly expanded so still pretty cool! I will be looking at all the new screen shots!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15168 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ben!

Yea,

Searching should default to All instead of Title, but at least the searching has been greatly expanded so still pretty cool! I will be looking at all the new screen shots!

Jack

I think I know what that Favorites Tab might be for in the future! I think I-Guide has this. My guess is that you will be able to Save or "favorite" your Searches.

I read that I-Guide holds 20 searches. After you hit 20, it erases the earliest searches and starts over on the list. (Like Caller ID on TV holding 20 calls.)

So, let's say that you wanted to Search for "The Simpsons" You could search for it however you liked but when you found the show, you put it in your Favorites Folder.

Than instead of having to do Category Or Keyword Searches for Simpsons, and have to key in the information, The Simpsons would get its own folder and you could just go to that folder and instantly, all Simpsons data would be given to you to save typing time.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15169 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jack, I'll play with that.

Ok, TWC - you got one major feature down (albeit needs slight tweaking). Next, drop a Guide Filter on me!!!!! After that, add manual recording and speed the guide up then I'll be pretty happy with it!

I'd still like to see them tweak the DVR list so you can save settings too - IE: I want my DVR list to always populate by show title, like SARA did. Also, I really wish they would fix the kick to live from DVR. SARA used to put you back in your list. These two options make it much easier to do a marathon viewing session.

post #15170 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

What box(es) do you have? I have two 8642HDC set tops for multi-room and am still a Signature Home customer (for now). Maybe that has something to do with it.

i have the cisco 8640hdc

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #15171 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post

Lately, my STB has been intermittently laggy on FF. I press FF the requisite 4 times, then the TV screen just looks at me stupidly for 5+ seconds (seems like 5 minutes). I don't dare FF again, because it eventually wakes up and obeys me, having buffered however many presses I sent it. As I said, intermittent behavior, of course...

Just my 11 cents.

I'm not trying to say that Navigator is prefect or bug free.

I'm just saying that statements such as "it would be easy" should never be made unless you have seen the source code.
post #15172 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Jack

Having a great guide doesn't seem to help TiVo. The only reason they are still in business is the income from the few law suits they manage to win.
post #15173 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Having a great guide doesn't seem to help TiVo. The only reason they are still in business is the income from the few law suits they manage to win.

Tivo bombs because it's not easily integrated into cable. You need a cablecard, plus a tuning adapter and you have to give up features like PPV and VOD. If Tivo or Moxi had a full two way capable box, I'd be all over it.

Jack was making the point that Tivo and Aptiv have experienced programmers that specialize in set tops and that's why the guides are so much better.

post #15174 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Jack, I'll play with that.

Ok, TWC - you got one major feature down (albeit needs slight tweaking). Next, drop a Guide Filter on me!!!!! After that, add manual recording and speed the guide up then I'll be pretty happy with it!

I'd still like to see them tweak the DVR list so you can save settings too - IE: I want my DVR list to always populate by show title, like SARA did. Also, I really wish they would fix the kick to live from DVR. SARA used to put you back in your list. These two options make it much easier to do a marathon viewing session.

Remember Ben,

You want an option for a Perminent Guide Filter! Can't just say Guide Filter, or they will only make it temporary like MDN 3.0!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15175 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It is presumed that this update will reach all TWC ODN Navigator platforms with build 5.0+ a few days after the MSO download.

The box models for ODN eligible for this upgrade when available should be the following:

SA/Cisco: 8240 HDC, 8300 HDC, 8640 HDC, 8642 HDC and higher.
Samsungs: 3090, 3270, 3272
Motorola: DCX2400M and DCX3200M (running Navigator ODN) Some divisions are still using I-Guide.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15176 of 18921 Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have keyword search either i am in Ben's area too ....i don't understand a very baffled abysss !!!!

TIVO HD (SERIES 4)
post #15177 of 18921 Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

It is presumed that this update will reach all TWC ODN Navigator platforms with build 5.0+ a few days after the MSO download.

The box models for ODN eligible for this upgrade when available should be the following:

SA/Cisco: 8240 HDC, 8300 HDC, 8640 HDC, 8642 HDC and higher.
Samsungs: 3090, 3270, 3272
Motorola: DCX2400M and DCX3200M (running Navigator ODN) Some divisions are still using I-Guide.

Jack

Hoping this update resolves the slowness in the Samsung 3090. Everything was fine until the recent update.
post #15178 of 18921 Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAlert View Post

Hoping this update resolves the slowness in the Samsung 3090. Everything was fine until the recent update.

Hi MA,

What box do you have? You have the new Navigator 5.0 search system?

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15179 of 18921 Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM

hey satch in your opinion the reason for not having keyword search yet is it because of my current model ?

TIVO HD (SERIES 4)
post #15180 of 18921 Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Hi MA,

What box do you have? You have the new Navigator 5.0 search system?

Jack

No, I have the Samsung 3090 running 4.1.0.6.

Slowed the box down tremendously!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page