Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 522 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #15631 of 18623 Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having issues with my 8300HD on Time Warner. It started happening after an update in January I think.

- On Monday of every week, my scheduled program recording from 10:00AM to 11:01AM cuts off about 8 minutes before 11:00AM. If I leave the box on during this time, it records the whole program. This doesn't happen the rest of the week recording this same show. I tried deleteing and re-adding the scheduled recording several times but it doesn't help.

- When this program records correctly, I frequently get choppy & freezing playback near the end of the program. This doesn't happen with another show I am recording at different time slot on this same channel.

- Frequently, I am finding that some of my programs are not recorded. Sometimes I see the red light on showing that it is recording but the program will not be in the list afterward. The recording logs will say "The set-top was unable to record this program".

Is there anything I can do short of exchanging the box? I really hate to lose the programs I have on there and I don't want to re-program another one. I did a hard reset but it didn't appear to do anything different than just pulling the power. Is there a scan disk that might fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15632 of 18623 Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Think of your 8300 as a PC, a Dell or an HP that you bought say in 2004. Now think of how painfully slow it would be, the software that was on it when you got it is still there. Eventually they stop writing stuff for older models or the newer software requires a lot more memory to run or the hard drive can't support all the programs being written now in 2012. That's pretty much why your 8300 doesn't work. It's to old . Time Warner needs to junk all the boxes and they won't because of cost. They rely on people giving up. I returned 4 boxes in a 3 month period this past fall. I have a Samsung 3272 now. It's ok. It works but what I had to do to get equipment that works is bull crap.
post #15633 of 18623 Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrralan View Post

I am having issues with my 8300HD on Time Warner. It started happening after an update in January I think.

- On Monday of every week, my scheduled program recording from 10:00AM to 11:01AM cuts off about 8 minutes before 11:00AM. If I leave the box on during this time, it records the whole program. This doesn't happen the rest of the week recording this same show. I tried deleting and re-adding the scheduled recording several times but it doesn't help.

- When this program records correctly, I frequently get choppy & freezing playback near the end of the program. This doesn't happen with another show I am recording at different time slot on this same channel.

- Frequently, I am finding that some of my programs are not recorded. Sometimes I see the red light on showing that it is recording but the program will not be in the list afterward. The recording logs will say "The set-top was unable to record this program".

Is there anything I can do short of exchanging the box? I really hate to lose the programs I have on there and I don't want to re-program another one. I did a hard reset but it didn't appear to do anything different than just pulling the power. Is there a scan disk that might fix this?

Greetings,

What is the show and channel that it is on? What state/city are you in? I am assuming you have the SA-8300 (NO C) box, correct?

I would also register and open up a support ticket at the TWC Direct to Tech Forums, located here:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

This is a secure forum, where you can enter your account information and I would give the exact same information you gave above in your message. Make sure you emphasize that the problem is only happening on Monday night with the show in question.

My guess is that there is something in your node causing the channel drop off on those Monday nights. Replacing the box, WILL NOT fix a bad signal. For about a year, I had issues with channels not coming in and a hard reboot would only bring back the problem a few hours to days later. After having a new drop line installed, the problem came back a few months later. The culprit was a corroded cable connector on the back of the TV going into the box.

If TWC's Direct to Tech forum recommends a service call, please request that you want a drop-line check and an examination of all cable wiring going to your box/TV. A bad signal or connection could be your issue.

You can also request at the direct to tech forum, signal monitoring for your box and hopefully they will be able to look at the channel and time when you are losing the end of your shows. Good luck with this!

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #15634 of 18623 Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

UNCHeel, are you the customer who's TWC division is only giving out SA-8300HDC's unless you go to Whole House or Signature Home? Are they giving out SA-8300HDC's exclusively in your division? (for non-Signature Home and non-Whole House Customers?)

Jack

It seems to depend on what office you go to or if you get a service call. My "local" office is not in my town but in Chapel Hill, about 20 miles away. They seem to have mostly 8300HDCs with a few newer boxes thrown in. Awhile back they would still have the occasional 8300HD but I haven't seen them in about a year or so. Not sure what they are giving in out in the offices in Wake County, where Raleigh, Cary, Apex, the main population center for this division is located.

About a year and a half or so ago, I was having some problems and they sent out a tech. It turns out it was a line issue which he resolved. But he had a new type of box on his truck, so I had him give me one and kept the 8300HD. I forget exactly what the model number was, pretty sure it was some type of Samsung. My plan was to start using the Samsung to record new stuff and watch down what I had on the 8300HD and its outboard drive and then turn it in. HOWEVER, that ODN box was absolute garbage. It was slow to the point of being unusable. It would stack commands 7 or 8 deep and then execute them all at once. After two days it became clear that TWC could not fix the ODN problems so it went back. I haven't made changes since

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15635 of 18623 Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Came across another Navigator glitch/bug. While watching a recorded show tonight, the DVR began recording two scheduled shows thus making both tuners busy. When this occurred, the DVR kicked to live. I had to go back into the list and resume the recorded show which went back to the beginning. I then had to search through it to pick up where it was. Not a major issue, but annoying none the less.

Seen it a couple of times
post #15636 of 18623 Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Seen it a couple of times

Funny thing is, I sent in a feedback form (see my sig) detailing the bug and got a call back saying I need a service call to fix it. They claim they ran remote tests on my box and it failed. I'm willing to swap out all my hardware with newer models if they have them. Early reports say the 8700 Series boxes are more responsive with no guide lag. I'd also like one home gateway instead of two separate modems. Problem is that no one can confirm what current equipment even is. CSR'S are I oblivious to anything beyond their scripts.

I did finish doing some research on moving to DirecTV, but lack of HD is probably going to keep with with TW for now. Also, the last shareholders meeting said TW may be looking to offer more technical services to subs who want it. 2012 should be an interesting year for TW. I'm really hopeful they get some major advancements into Navigator. That's really the stumbling block at this point. Our division has the content I want, I just wish TW would offer some breakthrough DVR like a Dish 922 or Direct HR-34 5 tuner model. I'd like to see a cable box with OTA. In short, I'd love a cable box with satellite feature set.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #15637 of 18623 Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried to record the Super Bowl while I was at work with 65% of my hard drive occupied, but it didn't record. Recording Log stated my hard drive was full.

Why can't the box simply record as much of the program as possible until the box becomes full? Why cancel the entire recording? Didn't Passport allow for partial show recordings?

Time Warner Cable - New York City - Flushing, Queens
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
Formerly Passport Echo 2.6.002
MDN 3.3.0-9-ptv (3.Dev)

post #15638 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Anyone else every had this problem?

I have been having problems playing some recorded shows. The recording appears to proceed correctly, but when played back it will freeze at some point. None of the functions like rewind or fast forward will work. Sometimes if I hold down the FF button to do a 15 minute jump, that will work and I can rewind back to a point that it will not rewind any fruther. Usually there is a gap of several minutes or more between the "freeze" point and when it will play again. The progress bar indicates a full recording.

Any clue what is causing this? This does not happen all the time, maybe 1 in 10 shows. I have never had a live show freeze while I am watching it, so I am guessing that it is a recording issue or a playback issue. Is there anyway to tell if it is my 8300HD or the outboard drive? I hate to give up this 8300HD if it's not the problem.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15639 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

I have been having problems playing some recorded shows. The recording appears to proceed correctly, but when played back it will freeze at some point. None of the functions like rewind or fast forward will work. Sometimes if I hold down the FF button to do a 15 minute jump, that will work and I can rewind back to a point that it will not rewind any further. Usually there is a gap of several minutes or more between the "freeze" point and when it will play again. The progress bar indicates a full recording.

Any clue what is causing this? This does not happen all the time, maybe 1 in 10 shows. I have never had a live show freeze while I am watching it, so I am guessing that it is a recording issue or a playback issue. Is there anyway to tell if it is my 8300HD or the outboard drive? I hate to give up this 8300HD if it's not the problem.

My recommendation would be process of elimination tests. Go through the following steps:

1.) Watch as much as you can off of the external drive.

2.) When finished, consider saving the shows to a back-up medium of your choice if you can.

3.) Set up a week of testing and recording shows with the external drive completely disconnected. This is an important test. It will determine whether or not the issue is the drive or the box.

4.) If you week of testing shows no issues, you have most likely a bad external drive. Replace it with the same company name, especially since you have had such success with it. (btw, is it a Western Digital? Those work great with MDN boxes!)

5.) If the drive is replaced through these steps and no problems you can keep your MDN box. However note the following:

If in the process of doing these steps and you get to #4 and you still have issues, you have two choices:

1.) Registering at the TWC Direct to Tech forum is better than calling customer service. Mention that you would like them to check out the following:

drop line
all cable connections going to TV
Any tests on stations causing the problems.

Specifically say in the work order at the Direct to Tech forum, that you DO NOT WANT an SA-8300HDC but either an SA-8300 (MDN) No-C box. Or a Cisco or a Samsung if the box needs to be replaced.

2.) You may not be able to use your External drive with the new Cisco or Samsung, BUT you will get more drive storage. 320GB instead of 160GB.

3.) Ask if you can maybe get a Whole House DVR (The Cisco 8742, 8642, or the Samsung 3272.) They have 500 GB's of storage. It is doubtful that they will do that, but if you get a Cisco or Samsung, you will at least have more recording space.

Here is the Direct to Tech Forum:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

Good luck!

Jack

post #15640 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:

My recommendation would be process of elimination tests. Go through the following steps:

2.) When finished, consider saving the shows to a back-up medium of your choice if you can.

Jack

Do you know how to make that backup? I do not know of any way to do this. The file format and the disk format of the HD seems to be unique to the DVR. In fact the drive cannot be connected to another 8300HD without reformating it and losing the recorded material.

More Info: I am using a Western Digital 1TB Green drive. I chose this one because it runs at a lower speed and doesn't need any cooling fans. So it is really quiet. I have it in a case that is designed to dump off the heat but it still runs hot, esp. with it sitting on top of the 8300HD.

The problem with the recordings does not seem to be station dependent.

I am in the process of trying to "watch down" as much stuff as possible. But I have around 85-90 hours left to go. I have though about just sucking it up and paying for an ODN box to record stuff on while I get this figured out.

I have tried to use the WD with an ODN, (Samsung) box and it just doesn't work. 8300HDC are known to not work either.

If i just turn the WD drive off shouldn't it record to the onboard drive so I can test it? And then I can turn the drive back on to access the saved shows?

What does whole house cost? If I could get 500GB, I could probably make a go of it. I normally only have about 50% full or less on that 1TB drive. When I look at TWC offerings for my area, I don't even see whole house as an option. They really push the sig. serv. around here but that is $200 a month and I only have one TV. (no chillins)

Thanks Jack.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15641 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know how to make that backup? I do not know of any way to do this. The file format and the disk format of the HD seems to be unique to the DVR. In fact the drive cannot be connected to another 8300HD without reformatting it and losing the recorded material.

More Info: I am using a Western Digital 1TB Green drive. I chose this one because it runs at a lower speed and doesn't need any cooling fans. So it is really quiet. I have it in a case that is designed to dump off the heat but it still runs hot, esp. with it sitting on top of the 8300HD.

The problem with the recordings does not seem to be station dependent.

I am in the process of trying to "watch down" as much stuff as possible. But I have around 85-90 hours left to go. I have though about just sucking it up and paying for an ODN box to record stuff on while I get this figured out.

I have tried to use the WD with an ODN, (Samsung) box and it just doesn't work. 8300HDC are known to not work either.

If i just turn the WD drive off shouldn't it record to the onboard drive so I can test it? And then I can turn the drive back on to access the saved shows?

What does whole house cost? If I could get 500GB, I could probably make a go of it. I normally only have about 50% full or less on that 1TB drive. When I look at TWC offerings for my area, I don't even see whole house as an option. They really push the sig. serv. around here but that is $200 a month and I only have one TV. (no chillins)

Thanks Jack.

If possible, someone might be able to help with back-up options if they are applicable for you. I am not an expert on that.

I would assume yes, that you could just turn the ESATA drive off in testing.

You are correct that ODN boxes. (C-models, Samsungs, and new Motorola's) are hit and miss, (mostly miss) with drive expanders.

I believe Whole House DVR is $19.95/mo, but don't quote me on that. If you are looking for deals as you go through testing and options, call TWC, and ASK TO BE TRANSFERED TO CUSTOMER RETENTIONS. See if they can get you a deal on Whole House DVR. Than, when your discount plan expires, just call Customer Retentions back and work to negotiate something else.

What is your current service level now? Do you have Triple Play? Cable, Phone, Roadrunner?

Assuming you have Triple Play now. What do you pay? Signature Home is $200 a month with Cable, Wideband Internet, and All Phone features included. or $230 with all premium movie channels included. I heard you can take one year with no commitment. (probably best choice-if you go that route,) or two years (with contract commitment.) Would not recommend the two year plan. You always want to have an option to leave services, especially if it is a new thing.

Say that you have Triple Play now, and you pay $190 for it. The $20 you will probably play for just Whole House DVR will put you over $200 before franchise fees and taxes. And the thing is, a lot of TWC divisions will ONLY give out the 500GB DVR's (their best boxes) to Signature Home customers, and considering your situation, you NEED a lot of storage. That's just something to keep in mind.

You could have them hunt and poke for a refurbished dated SA-8300 (No C) box, which has worked for you until the last software update. But who knows how long that old box will last? If the last MDN update messed things up, you are almost better off getting a new Samsung or Cisco, or if you are up at the $200 level for what you are playing now, maybe Signature Home might save you money in the long run over Whole House DVR.

It should be noted that Signature Home has had some issues. Ben (BenJF3) had tons of trouble with his Internet dropping and not holding the connection, until he put his network in bridge mode. There is all kinds of information about Signature Home and Ben's feedback can be found here: (AVS's exclusive thread for TWC Signature Home!)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20490674

Jack

post #15642 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
well my usual colbert report problems have escalated...
previously when ever the show was on a break and there were no 'new' episodes for some reason it would record every episode showing

well the report is on break this week, and not only is it recording every episode of that, but every episode of the daily show now, which i dont record at all...

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #15643 of 18623 Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:

I have been having problems playing some recorded shows. The recording appears to proceed correctly, but when played back it will freeze at some point. None of the functions like rewind or fast forward will work. Sometimes if I hold down the FF button to do a 15 minute jump, that will work and I can rewind back to a point that it will not rewind any fruther. Usually there is a gap of several minutes or more between the "freeze" point and when it will play again. The progress bar indicates a full recording.

I haven't used Navigator. Try rebooting the 8300HD when this happens and then watch that part of the recorded show again and see if the issues still happen. Rebooting fixes a lot of strange issues that I have had using TWC's SARA and Comcast's S25 Guide.
post #15644 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

previously when ever the show was on a break and there were no 'new' episodes for some reason it would record every episode showing

well the report is on break this week, and not only is it recording every episode of that, but every episode of the daily show now, which i dont record at all...

I recall this issue with Colbert Report in the past. Question, do new episodes show up in the guide as "New?" (With the word "New" on the left side of the Time Grid?) If they do not, Navigator will record all instances of an episode AFAIK.

For the workaround, go in and reprogram the series, BUT this time restrict the series to a specific time. For example if the show is on at 7:30PM and 1 am, don't do "All Showings." Select the 7:30PM show only, or the time you want for the series and that SHOULD stop the repeats. (Knock on wood.)

Series Manager should only pick up the later 1am show in this example, if another show is being recorded at the 7:30 time.

From what I remember, Navigator must call an episode "New" in the show information listing, for 'New" recordings to be recorded. Otherwise it will just pick up all instances of the show, unless you do a Time Restriction.

That should take care of this issue.

Jack

post #15645 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:

I recall this issue with Colbert Report in the past. Question, do new episodes show up in the guide as "New?" (With the word "New" on the left side of the Time Grid?) If they do not, Navigator will record all instances of an episode AFAIK.

For the workaround, go in and reprogram the series, BUT this time restrict the series to a specific time. For example if the show is on at 7:30PM and 1 am, don't do "All Showings." Select the 7:30PM show only, or the time you want for the series and that SHOULD stop the repeats. (Knock on wood.)

Series Manager should only pick up the later 1am show in this example, if another show is being recorded at the 7:30 time.

From what I remember, Navigator must call an episode "New" in the show information listing, for 'New" recordings to be recorded. Otherwise it will just pick up all instances of the show, unless you do a Time Restriction.

That should take care of this issue.

Jack

yeah the new shows are labeled as new and the repeats aren't
the guide displays properly

i had a trouble ticket associated with this but then it stopped doing it as much/often, i'll call them later to update it, supposedly they had no idea why it was doing that
the problem with setting the specific time is that then it misses episodes occasionally because for some reason sometimes the show is shifted a minute in the guide...

Especially since I rule.
post #15646 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

There have always been issues with shows that I call "non-episodic" - shows for which every showing has the exact same generic description. News and sports shows are the most common examples, but there can be others.

The issue lies not directly with Navigator but with the guide info (both what we see and cannot see). When every showing has the exact same guide info, Navigator really has no choice but to record them all. There really is no way for Navigator to distinguish any showing from any other showing.

This also happened recently with American Chopper... the guide info recently changed to a very generic description with no episode information and my box started recording all of them. Previously the listings carried episode information even for the older shows and Navigator was able to keep track of it all.

For some non-episodic shows that generally have one new showing a day and then repeat that show a few times (my example of that is NFL Live), using the specific showing settings in Navigator will work. It doesn't work in cases like my American Chopper issue... every episode is different and old and I don't really want any of them.

Complaints for this can and should be lodged against TWC... but about the changes in the guide info, not Navigator itself (for a change).

As far as your unwanted recording of the Daily Show... I have also recently had some similar issues where a show was on a break but the box recorded the show that was filling in that time slot even when the guide correctly listed the new. Just last night, it wanted to record The Voice, which I have never scheduled... but it was in the time slot previously occupied by The Firm. When I went to cancel the recording of The Voice, it even asked me if i was sure I wanted to cancel The Firm. The box also gave me an out of disk space error last night, showed 85% full even when the actual recordings stored should have totaled only about 5% of capacity. I checked the diagnostics to see when the last reboot had been to see if maybe an unnoticed update had occurred and introduced the issues. What I saw was a little surprising... the last reboot date was back in October. I manually rebooted the box and everything other than the American Chopper guide issue returned to normal.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #15647 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I believe Whole House DVR is $19.95/mo, but don't quote me on that. If you are looking for deals as you go through testing and options, call TWC, and ASK TO BE TRANSFERED TO CUSTOMER RETENTIONS. See if they can get you a deal on Whole House DVR. Than, when your discount plan expires, just call Customer Retentions back and work to negotiate something else.

What is your current service level now? Do you have Triple Play? Cable, Phone, Roadrunner?

Assuming you have Triple Play now. What do you pay? Signature Home is $200 a month with Cable, Wideband Internet, and All Phone features included. or $230 with all premium movie channels included.

I am paying around $130 with taxes a month for standard Road Runner and HD digital cable with the Sports Pass package added. Six months ago that same package was costing me around $110. So I got a nice $20 increase ($240 a year) for the exact same service. I locked in for 2 years so I have 18 months before another increase. My local phone is costing me around $35 a month. That's $165. If I dropped my phone and went with Sig Serv. that would be $200 plus the $6-8 for the Sports Pass, plus taxes. Lets say $215, thats $50 more than I am paying now. I will get 4 tuners, which I don't really need. Faster RR, which I don't really need, and more storage which I really, really need. I can't justify $600 a year for that.

And I actually like having my phone with the local phone company. I live in a rural area and we do have the occasional power outage along with crappy cell phone service. Right now when the power goes out my phone still works.

Quote:

And the thing is, a lot of TWC divisions will ONLY give out the 500GB DVR's (their best boxes) to Signature Home customers, and considering your situation, you NEED a lot of storage. That's just something to keep in mind.

My issue it that due to work, I have months at a time when I don't watch a lot of TV. Then later, I catch up. It's silly that there is not a way to off load material onto a thumb drive or something. Or that the ODN boxes would work with a SATA drive, even if it wasn't offically supported.
Well, if it comes to it, I will just have to pay for the whole house to get the 500GB. I can manage with that, if it will only cost me another $240 a year.

Quote:

It should be noted that Signature Home has had some issues. Ben (BenJF3) had tons of trouble with his Internet dropping and not holding the connection, until he put his network in bridge mode. There is all kinds of information about Signature Home and Ben's feedback can be found here: (AVS's exclusive thread for TWC Signature Home!)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20490674

Jack

I will read up on that but unless I get a big raise I just can't afford it. I am going to the local office to see what type of ODN boxes they have. I may just pay for an extra box for a few months so I can watch down and test the 8300HD. Plus I get to see what ODN is like now. Last time I tried it was a disaster.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15648 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM

the guide info changes for every episode of colbert report showing the 'guest' and the original airdate (rarely there are repeat episodes that show a generic filler, but most of the shows new and reruns show approriate information)
its not recording daily show in place of colbert, its recording both, they're shown back to back (daily show first, then colbert report) on comedy central, thats the extra baffling part that its decided to make it a separate recording in the list, but it doesn't show in the schedule or report, just in the existing recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

There have always been issues with shows that I call "non-episodic" - shows for which every showing has the exact same generic description. News and sports shows are the most common examples, but there can be others.

The issue lies not directly with Navigator but with the guide info (both what we see and cannot see). When every showing has the exact same guide info, Navigator really has no choice but to record them all. There really is no way for Navigator to distinguish any showing from any other showing.

This also happened recently with American Chopper... the guide info recently changed to a very generic description with no episode information and my box started recording all of them. Previously the listings carried episode information even for the older shows and Navigator was able to keep track of it all.

For some non-episodic shows that generally have one new showing a day and then repeat that show a few times (my example of that is NFL Live), using the specific showing settings in Navigator will work. It doesn't work in cases like my American Chopper issue... every episode is different and old and I don't really want any of them.

Complaints for this can and should be lodged against TWC... but about the changes in the guide info, not Navigator itself (for a change).

As far as your unwanted recording of the Daily Show... I have also recently had some similar issues where a show was on a break but the box recorded the show that was filling in that time slot even when the guide correctly listed the new. Just last night, it wanted to record The Voice, which I have never scheduled... but it was in the time slot previously occupied by The Firm. When I went to cancel the recording of The Voice, it even asked me if i was sure I wanted to cancel The Firm. The box also gave me an out of disk space error last night, showed 85% full even when the actual recordings stored should have totaled only about 5% of capacity. I checked the diagnostics to see when the last reboot had been to see if maybe an unnoticed update had occurred and introduced the issues. What I saw was a little surprising... the last reboot date was back in October. I manually rebooted the box and everything other than the American Chopper guide issue returned to normal.

Especially since I rule.
post #15649 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone here use the TWC Web app to program their DVR a lot? I do and have run into a bug - not sure if it ever worked really.

Sometimes, two tuners isn't enough and I've got 2 programs set to record and need to record a third in the same time slot. Some networks replay the episode of that "third program" at midnight. No matter what I do, when I go to the TV listing of the web app, I select the midnight showing, then try to record it, the box never comes back saying the recording has been scheduled....it'll just sit there forever (or until I click the "X" to dismiss it....same thing if I do a "Search" on the title and try to record from the list that's presented. The only way I can set the show to record is physically from using the guide on the box. What is it with the midnight time slot? Anyone seen this or care to try to test it?
post #15650 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Anyone here use the TWC Web app to program their DVR a lot? I do and have run into a bug - not sure if it ever worked really.

Sometimes, two tuners isn't enough and I've got 2 programs set to record and need to record a third in the same time slot. Some networks replay the episode of that "third program" at midnight. No matter what I do, when I go to the TV listing of the web app, I select the midnight showing, then try to record it, the box never comes back saying the recording has been scheduled....it'll just sit there forever (or until I click the "X" to dismiss it....same thing if I do a "Search" on the title and try to record from the list that's presented. The only way I can set the show to record is physically from using the guide on the box. What is it with the midnight time slot? Anyone seen this or care to try to test it?

You really shouldn't ever use time slots to settle series conflicts... the system is designed to settle them automatically based on the relative priorities of the shows. Unfortunately, remote DVR programming does not allow any control of series priorities, which is a major deficiency when the system depends on priorities for conflict resolution. It also sets the default priority of a newly added series differently than the box does... adding a series at the box always defaults the new series to #1 priority. Adding it remotely always defaults the newly added series to the lowest possible priority with no means of changing it remotely.

Also know that any single show scheduled (not a series) always takes highest priority over any series, regardless of where you program it from.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #15651 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:

3.) Ask if you can maybe get a Whole House DVR (The Cisco 8742, 8642, or the Samsung 3272.) They have 500 GB's of storage. It is doubtful that they will do that, but if you get a Cisco or Samsung, you will at least have more recording space.

Jack

Are there different versions of the Samsung? I went by the local office today to pick up a new box while I figure out what's going on with the 8300HD. The charge for a second DVR is $25 a month. Sheesh. They gave me a Samsung SMT-H3272. (I think thats right.) But the guy at the office said it has a 320GB drive not a 500GB. I asked him what they gave to folks who have had Signature Home, and he said two of the those, meaning the 3272, with a small box to connect them together. IF that is what they are doing in this division, it's pretty crappy to pay $200 a month and get 640GB instead of 1TB.
IF my 8300HD is shot, I am in trouble. I can't see paying another $25 a month to have two 320GB boxes that I will have to manage the recording on seperately.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15652 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are there different versions of the Samsung? I went by the local office today to pick up a new box while I figure out what's going on with the 8300HD. The charge for a second DVR is $25 a month. Sheesh. They gave me a Samsung SMT-H3272. (I think thats right.) But the guy at the office said it has a 320GB drive not a 500GB. I asked him what they gave to folks who have had Signature Home, and he said two of the those, meaning the 3272, with a small box to connect them together. IF that is what they are doing in this division, it's pretty crappy to pay $200 a month and get 640GB instead of 1TB.
IF my 8300HD is shot, I am in trouble. I can't see paying another $25 a month to have two 320GB boxes that I will have to manage the recording on separately.

I am "almost positive" that the counter guy gave you wrong info and that the Samsung 3272 is 500GB. There IS a rarer version of the Samsung, the 3090, and I believe that is 320GB. I heard reports of a very very small percent of Samsung 3090's have the 160GB hard drive.

The Samsung 3272, Cisco 8642, and the newest Cisco 8742 are Multi-room boxes. I believe they all come with a 500GB hard drive.

I think someone said on the Samsungs, you can see the amount of drive storage by looking through the vent cracks at the drive and it is on there.

Jack

post #15653 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

You really shouldn't ever use time slots to settle series conflicts... the system is designed to settle them automatically based on the relative priorities of the shows. Unfortunately, remote DVR programming does not allow any control of series priorities, which is a major deficiency when the system depends on priorities for conflict resolution. It also sets the default priority of a newly added series differently than the box does... adding a series at the box always defaults the new series to #1 priority. Adding it remotely always defaults the newly added series to the lowest possible priority with no means of changing it remotely.

Also know that any single show scheduled (not a series) always takes highest priority over any series, regardless of where you program it from.

A lot of good info, but doesn't answer my question to why I can't manually select and record a show that starts at midnight from the web application....and is it a bug for everyone or not? If it doesn't work for anyone, I can feel better reporting it as a bug to TWC.
post #15654 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I am "almost positive" that the counter guy gave you wrong info and that the Samsung 3272 is 500GB.

Imagine that!

Quote:

I think someone said on the Samsungs, you can see the amount of drive storage by looking through the vent cracks at the drive and it is on there.

Jack

You are correct. I peeked and it is a 500GB. I know the last ODN box I had was a 320GB. Which begs the question. If they are handing out 500GB boxes to everyone as the base level HD DVR, what are you getting if you pay extra for Multi Room service? As you mentioned, Multi Room service gets you the same box.
If I turned in my 8300 they would take off the extra DVR charge and I would be back to paying the same amount as before. But now I would have a 500GB drive in and ODN box instead of a 160GB in a MDN box.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15655 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Imagine that!

You are correct. I peeked and it is a 500GB. I know the last ODN box I had was a 320GB. Which begs the question. If they are handing out 500GB boxes to everyone as the base level HD DVR, what are you getting if you pay extra for Multi Room service? As you mentioned, Multi Room service gets you the same box.
If I turned in my 8300 they would take off the extra DVR charge and I would be back to paying the same amount as before. But now I would have a 500GB drive in and ODN box instead of a 160GB in a MDN box.

I don't have multi-room, so if someone knows exactly what you get, that would be a big help. You were lucky to get a 500GB box!!!! Very lucky, as most divisions do not give them out as single DVR's.

Jack

post #15656 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I don't have multi-room, so if someone knows exactly what you get, that would be a big help. You were lucky to get a 500GB box!!!! Very lucky, as most divisions do not give them out as single DVR's.
Jack

Interesting, the local office said there was a Cisco box and a Samsung box that they were giving out. Which would seem to mean that the 3272 is the only Samsung they are handing out around here. Of course since he thought it was a 320GB and not a 500GB he might be wrong about what types of boxes they have as well. I will have to check when I go back.

So its running 5.0.0_6 ODN. None of the lag that I had with the ODN box I tried about a year and a half ago. Stretched out menus are kind of stupid, instead of actually giving you more real estate to see more. Search is kind of cool compared to MDN. I will have to see if I can get by on 500GB. Otherwise..........maybe a heart transplant is in order.

Does anyone know where the IR "eye" is on the front of this thing. (Samsung 3272) Since I have two boxes in the same room the remote commands are activating both of them. I want to tape over it while I use the 8300.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15657 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 05:12 PM

The SMT-H3272 is indeed a WH-DVR box, which is why it has a 500GB HD. I believe there is an H3270 which is the same box that is not designed for WH-DVR, and has a 320GB HD and no MoCA.

If you are not paying for WH-DVR, then I think you really just got lucky, because they probably shouldn't have given you that box.
post #15658 of 18623 Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, the local office said there was a Cisco box and a Samsung box that they were giving out. Which would seem to mean that the 3272 is the only Samsung they are handing out around here. Of course since he thought it was a 320GB and not a 500GB he might be wrong about what types of boxes they have as well. I will have to check when I go back.

So its running 5.0.0_6 ODN. None of the lag that I had with the ODN box I tried about a year and a half ago. Stretched out menus are kind of stupid, instead of actually giving you more real estate to see more. Search is kind of cool compared to MDN. I will have to see if I can get by on 500GB. Otherwise..........maybe a heart transplant is in order.

Does anyone know where the IR "eye" is on the front of this thing. (Samsung 3272) Since I have two boxes in the same room the remote commands are activating both of them. I want to tape over it while I use the 8300.

You could take like three weeks to finish watching your recorded stuff on the MDN SA-8300, than just return it so they will take the charge off. I would DEFINITELY TAKE THE MDN BOX BACK NOW, (when caught up on your shows.) because you have the very best with a Whole House 500GB DVR! You will be first, (or among the first) to get new features and updates. That box is so rare to get for a single DVR user.

You could TRY to hook up your E-SATA drive to the Samsung 3272 just to see if it works. You must archive a lot of TV if you still need more than 500GB!

How is the speed of the new Samsung 3272 box compared to your MDN SA-8300? It's awesome that you got a 500GB whole house box as just a single DVR subscriber!!!!!!

Jack

post #15659 of 18623 Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jack

I live near St. Pete,Fl.(Bright House) I got a Cisco 8742(which is very good!) and my friend got a Samsung 3272. Neither of us has whole-house. All the dvrs except the 8742 have been discontinued because of the new energy regs,but I'm sure TWC/Bright House will keep recycling the old ones as long as they can...they're not paying your electric bill.

BTW,your dvr uses more electricity than a energy star rated 21 cu. ft. refrigerator! http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20...nergy-at-home/
post #15660 of 18623 Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

You could take like three weeks to finish watching your recorded stuff on the MDN SA-8300, than just return it so they will take the charge off.

Yeah, I don't think I am going to have a choice. THe 8300HD is starting to exhibit signs of dying. In addition to the recording playback issues, now I have some occasional reception problems on a few channels that are not occurring on the 3272. So the original problem is probably with the 8300HD and not with the outboard drive. In fact I am hoping that I can get through everything before it dies. I started watching all the stuff I can't get anywhere else, like through Netflix.

Quote:

You could TRY to hook up your E-SATA drive to the Samsung 3272 just to see if it works. You must archive a lot of TV if you still need more than 500GB!

Jack

My issue is that there are times of the year when I am away, (Summer and Fall) and don't do a lot of watching. So I get way behind. I end up with entire seasons of a show to watch. Right now I am catching up on House and starting on Homeland. What is a real PITA is when you get halfway through a season and have a screwed up recording and there is no way to get a copy because it isn't out on DVD yet and the network only has the last 5 shows available on its site. I had that 1TB drive at about 50% to 60% full. So I am going to have to be careful with that 500GB. Its probably a long shot but maybe that outboard SATA drive will work with the 3272.

You guys have got me curious about how many 3272s the local office has on hand. What is really odd is that this office used to be the dumping ground for the older outdated boxes, which is how I got the 8300HD.

I have an idea. If the local office has a bunch of 3272s on hand, you guys can go to your office and get a 8300HDC and mail it to me. I will turn it in and swap it for a 3272 and mail that back to you.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page