post #15751 of 18712 Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flogman View Post

Yes. They are in the feild now.

Great news! I'll have to start hunting one down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15752 of 18712 Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

If you have the SA-8300 (non-C) box, it is old and you may need to swap it out. You can have a secure chat at the TWC Direct to Tech forum, it is located at the URL below:

It is a secure forum. Describe how long you have had the missed recordings issues. There was a software update to MDN (non-C, no Samsung) boxes recently from MDN 2.5 to MDN 3.0. Additionally, software updates, for MDN boxes, due to their age, is causing strain on the old hardware.

Say at the Direct to Tech forum that you would like a new Cisco or a Samsung box because you need a bigger hard drive, and the widely distributed boxes, the SA-8300 HDC's have the new version of the software called ODN, but only a 160gb hard drive.

The Cisco 8640 and the Samsung 3270 have 320GB hard drives. They generally will not work with drive expanders, but it is likely that if you are getting a lot of missed recordings because your box is dying out.

Signals could be an issue as well. I would request that Direct to Tech set up a truck role to check lines and signal strength, and ask for probably a Samsung 3270 to be requested in the work order as first choice, with the Cisco 8640 as second choice. Say that you do not want an SA-8300HDC because of its smaller hard drive. The Samsungs are faster than the Cisco's or SA boxes anyway.

Here is the TWC Direct to Tech forum:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

It is secure. No one else can read it except you and the tech. Good luck!

Jack

PS. The Cisco 8642 and 8742 are 500GB models, however, most divisions only give them out to Whole House and Signature Home Subs. The same is true with the Samsung 3272.

Well, no one ever answered my post on that forum. I'm still missing recordings on both my 8300's. I reposted to see if they'll answer this time. Looks like I may be headed to satellite TV.
post #15753 of 18712 Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post

Well, no one ever answered my post on that forum. I'm still missing recordings on both my 8300's. I reposted to see if they'll answer this time. Looks like I may be headed to satellite TV.

You just got a response from the tech. Hope it is good!

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #15754 of 18712 Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You just got a response from the tech. Hope it is good!

Jack

Not really - all they suggested was to call my local office for a tech visit. They've been here twice already, so I don't see the benefit. I guess I expected a little more specific help.
post #15755 of 18712 Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really - all they suggested was to call my local office for a tech visit. They've been here twice already, so I don't see the benefit. I guess I expected a little more specific help.

When you got those four boxes, did you go to one of the service centers, bring it home, and than do a self install for each of them? Or are they coming out with swapped boxes, and than you can record for awhile. You call TWC, and than you can't record?

When you say you can't record? What are the specifics? Are you getting a blank screen? Is it on any and all channels that you can't record? Is it a premium channel or premium package that you can't record? Are you getting an error message when you try to record? Just throwing out ideas here.

Going through four boxes with the same results does not sound like a box issue. I have heard of VOD and Caller ID taking several hours to activate.

I would say for this next tech visit. Call TWC back (again, I know it sucks) and ask to speak to a supervisor for a technical cable issue that remains unresolved. You can even say when setting up the work order. "I have had multiple boxes that do not record when activated. This is my 4th box-I need the tech to verify box can record before he leaves my home." Than, hopefully it will hold. In other words, don't call TWC after he leaves. Make sure that the tech activates the box before he leaves! Ask for the tech's company cell phone number if he is good, so that you can have a constant communication with him until this is resolved.

Work with the tech and bi-pass customer service so that he knows your case and situation.

Let him do everything and get his cell number. Let him try to get THIS CURRENT BOX ACTIVATED AND WORKING SO YOU CAN RECORD.

Good Luck!

Jack

post #15756 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

That was the same experience I had with the direct to tech forum, they just told me to call for an appointment. I too was expecting a bit more help.
post #15757 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM

repost (posted in the wrong browser tab):

Any help and/or suggestions here would be very appreciated ...

I've had the Cisco 8742HDC for a few weeks now, and I can report a lot more good than bad. The contractor that brought it over, told me that they've finally shifted over to Internet Protocol video. Maybe true, maybe not. What do I know? Other than this thing is VERY fast in nearly all aspects.

In fact, the only thing that slows it down even slightly, is when changing between channels with differing resolution. Perfectly understandable. And still very quick.

However, for the first time ... never seen this before ... My 1080i channels (CBS, HBO, and suchlike) have a very dirty habit of displaying as interlaced on my 1080progressive scan HDTV. Sometimes, a few flips between channels will remedy the vibrating horizontal lines ... but sometimes it's a real struggle.

Any idears why, and maybe how to fix it? I know this hardware is relatively new, but I'm happy to try even the wildest of educated guesses.

Thanks for your time!
post #15758 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this problem ...

I recently swapped out my old/dying 8300 box for a Samsung 3272 (TWC Charlotte, NC.) Since swapping I've been experiencing the following problems:

1 - For 2/10 shows currently on my "season pass" the box refuses to record the first airing despite there not being any conflicts during the first airing (this has happened 4 weeks in a row now and only with these two shows.) Both shows are cable shows that air multiple times during the week (Being Human/Justified) and the box will typically pick a later airing to record. Though this is problematic if the subsequent airing loses it's "NEW" tag as i don't set it to record old episodes to avoid clutter. Interestingly it shows that it plans to record it "on time" if you check the previous day - so something goes amiss once it actually airs.

2 - Except .... this week it decided to record a 1am airing of Justified from 1:23 to 2:00. It similarly clipped another show that previously wasn't a problem (again no conflicts anywhere on my schedule.)

While I can write off the second problem as a possible cable outage, the first problem really confounds me. My old box didn't behave in this manner at all and I'm not sure if it's the box or some odd navigator change.

Thoughts?
post #15759 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerophin View Post

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this problem ...

I recently swapped out my old/dying 8300 box for a Samsung 3272 (TWC Charlotte, NC.) Since swapping I've been experiencing the following problems:

1 - For 2/10 shows currently on my "season pass" the box refuses to record the first airing despite there not being any conflicts during the first airing (this has happened 4 weeks in a row now and only with these two shows.) Both shows are cable shows that air multiple times during the week (Being Human/Justified) and the box will typically pick a later airing to record. Though this is problematic if the subsequent airing loses it's "NEW" tag as i don't set it to record old episodes to avoid clutter. Interestingly it shows that it plans to record it "on time" if you check the previous day - so something goes amiss once it actually airs.

2 - Except .... this week it decided to record a 1am airing of Justified from 1:23 to 2:00. It similarly clipped another show that previously wasn't a problem (again no conflicts anywhere on my schedule.)

While I can write off the second problem as a possible cable outage, the first problem really confounds me. My old box didn't behave in this manner at all and I'm not sure if it's the box or some odd navigator change.

Thoughts?

I have the same problem, can't solve it, know what is, and am going with Cisco boxes next.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #15760 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Jack/Satch I thought you might be interested in this. I just had a TWC tech out to the house for a internet problem. It's the same guy we have had for several years. So I got a chance to talk to him about what types of boxes are in being used in the Raleigh division.

None of the techs in this division carry any MDN boxes on their trucks anymore. He is under the impression that they get pulled when they are turned in to the "rehab" department , either at an office or through a tech vist. However, it might be possible that an 8300HD gets back out to an office because they are still using the 8300HDC and they look alike. And the office guys either don't know or don't care.
There is no apparent restrictions on who gets what type of box in this division. The 8300HDC is the oldest thing they still give out and techs will usually only give them to customers that don't have HD service because of the small drive size. If you go to an office, you could be handed one. They are also handing out 320GB boxes and 500GB boxes. Most of the techs have both sizes on their trucks and will accomodate a request for a 500GB box. While they are rare, he has been stocked with and installed 8742s for non Sig Home customers. Sig Home customers get two 500GB boxes, usually a matched pair of new boxes but are not guaranteed to get a specific model.

I talked to him about the issues I had been having with my old 8300HD and about the 3272 I have now. When I get finished watching everything down on my 8300HD he is going to try to pick up a 8742 for me and bring it over to swap out. Then I can compare them side by side. Its good to have your local techs cell phone number.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15761 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

Jack/Satch I thought you might be interested in this. I just had a TWC tech out to the house for a internet problem. It's the same guy we have had for several years. So I got a chance to talk to him about what types of boxes are in being used in the Raleigh division.

None of the techs in this division carry any MDN boxes on their trucks anymore. He is under the impression that they get pulled when they are turned in to the "rehab" department , either at an office or through a tech vist. However, it might be possible that an 8300HD gets back out to an office because they are still using the 8300HDC and they look alike. And the office guys either don't know or don't care.
There is no apparent restrictions on who gets what type of box in this division. The 8300HDC is the oldest thing they still give out and techs will usually only give them to customers that don't have HD service because of the small drive size. If you go to an office, you could be handed one. They are also handing out 320GB boxes and 500GB boxes. Most of the techs have both sizes on their trucks and will accomodate a request for a 500GB box. While they are rare, he has been stocked with and installed 8742s for non Sig Home customers. Sig Home customers get two 500GB boxes, usually a matched pair of new boxes but are not guaranteed to get a specific model.

I talked to him about the issues I had been having with my old 8300HD and about the 3272 I have now. When I get finished watching everything down on my 8300HD he is going to try to pick up a 8742 for me and bring it over to swap out. Then I can compare them side by side. Its good to have your local techs cell phone number.

Thanks! Sounds like you got a great tech! Everyone says that the Cisco 8742 is very fast! So report back when you get it!

Jack

post #15762 of 18712 Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks! Sounds like you got a great tech! Everyone says that the Cisco 8742 is very fast! So report back when you get it!

Jack

That is the route I am going with to Jack, everything on them works much better.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #15763 of 18712 Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

That is the route I am going with to Jack, everything on them works much better.

I hope I can get one (8742). I put in a request via direct chat from My Services. You would think as a Sig Home Subscriber with the supposed "White Glove Treatment" one would get some response or have a better outlet to get gear exchanged. I'm paying a premium for it, but still find the service just tolerable (lesser evil of competing providers and that is apparently good enough for TWC!) The 8642's I have now are getting worse and worse. The last update made them slower. They literally queue as many as 6-7 commands then execute all at once. In some instances, I'm seeing 3-5 second delays between button presses. While new hardware may help with this, I'm still highly doubting we will see much actual usability advancement with Navigator. As long as TWC believes it is "good enough" that's how it will stay.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #15764 of 18712 Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's a new problem since our "upgrade" to ODN 5.0.0_6:

About three times now, it will schedule three overlapping programs. As I've stated before, I typically build in a two minute buffer on either side of a program. On one occasion, the schedule showed an hour program, spanning two overlapping half hour programs on the same channel. Since that seemed too good to be true, I played around with doing that on purpose, but my attempts failed. Since the programs had no scheduled repeats, I repaired rather than seeing what it would do.

In the most recent occurrence, it showed an hour program (7:58-9:02) and two other hour programs, both 8:58-10:02. Since I was there to watch it, I allowed ODN to do whatever it was going to do. It decided to not record the first program and instead to whine about "Could not record due to conflict" in the log.

Has anyone else experienced this new "feature"...?

ODN 7.2.0_11, Cisco 8742HDC
post #15765 of 18712 Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

The 8642's I have now are getting worse and worse. The last update made them slower. They literally queue as many as 6-7 commands then execute all at once. In some instances, I'm seeing 3-5 second delays between button presses. While new hardware may help with this, I'm still highly doubting we will see much actual usability advancement with Navigator. As long as TWC believes it is "good enough" that's how it will stay.

And folks wonder why guys like me stick with our 8300HDs and MDN. I have never had MDN stack commands. Even the new 3272 is doing it occasionally. I have learned to wait if it doesn't execute a command right away. Otherwise I end up some wierd place in the menu because I pressed the same button 3 or 4 times.
I kind of hope the recording problem I have with the 8300 is actually with my outboard drive and not the 8300 itself. I don't mind spending $100 on a new drive if it would solve my problems.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15766 of 18712 Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And folks wonder why guys like me stick with our 8300HDs and MDN. I have never had MDN stack commands. Even the new 3272 is doing it occasionally. I have learned to wait if it doesn't execute a command right away. Otherwise I end up some wierd place in the menu because I pressed the same button 3 or 4 times.
I kind of hope the recording problem I have with the 8300 is actually with my outboard drive and not the 8300 itself. I don't mind spending $100 on a new drive if it would solve my problems.

If the 8300HD was capable of Whole Home and had a large enough drive I'd NEVER have gotten rid of the one I had. I'm hoping that I can get the 8742's and give them a workout.

Here's what I'd like to see for Sig Home:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/25/m...wow-customers/

post #15767 of 18712 Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you got those four boxes, did you go to one of the service centers, bring it home, and than do a self install for each of them? Or are they coming out with swapped boxes, and than you can record for awhile. You call TWC, and than you can't record?

When you say you can't record? What are the specifics? Are you getting a blank screen? Is it on any and all channels that you can't record? Is it a premium channel or premium package that you can't record? Are you getting an error message when you try to record? Just throwing out ideas here.

Going through four boxes with the same results does not sound like a box issue. I have heard of VOD and Caller ID taking several hours to activate.

I would say for this next tech visit. Call TWC back (again, I know it sucks) and ask to speak to a supervisor for a technical cable issue that remains unresolved. You can even say when setting up the work order. "I have had multiple boxes that do not record when activated. This is my 4th box-I need the tech to verify box can record before he leaves my home." Than, hopefully it will hold. In other words, don't call TWC after he leaves. Make sure that the tech activates the box before he leaves! Ask for the tech's company cell phone number if he is good, so that you can have a constant communication with him until this is resolved.

Work with the tech and bi-pass customer service so that he knows your case and situation.

Let him do everything and get his cell number. Let him try to get THIS CURRENT BOX ACTIVATED AND WORKING SO YOU CAN RECORD.

Good Luck!

Jack

I have 2 boxes, picked up and self-installed. I just removed several amps I had installed in order to get my signals strong enough to watch. So far, the boxes are now recording as they should be. The problem I was having was I would keep getting the message in the Recording Log that the set-top could not record the program.
post #15768 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeway View Post

repost (posted in the wrong browser tab):

Any help and/or suggestions here would be very appreciated ...

I've had the Cisco 8742HDC for a few weeks now, and I can report a lot more good than bad. The contractor that brought it over, told me that they've finally shifted over to Internet Protocol video. Maybe true, maybe not. What do I know? Other than this thing is VERY fast in nearly all aspects.

In fact, the only thing that slows it down even slightly, is when changing between channels with differing resolution. Perfectly understandable. And still very quick.

However, for the first time ... never seen this before ... My 1080i channels (CBS, HBO, and suchlike) have a very dirty habit of displaying as interlaced on my 1080progressive scan HDTV. Sometimes, a few flips between channels will remedy the vibrating horizontal lines ... but sometimes it's a real struggle.

Any idears why, and maybe how to fix it? I know this hardware is relatively new, but I'm happy to try even the wildest of educated guesses.

Thanks for your time!

I offered a response to this same post in the Charlotte TWC forum. Mine is doing the exact same thing.
post #15769 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:

The 8642's I have now are getting worse and worse. The last update made them slower. They literally queue as many as 6-7 commands then execute all at once. In some instances, I'm seeing 3-5 second delays between button presses.

This is the exact reason I swapped my 8642s for 8742s. I highly recommend you do what you need to in order to get the 8742s.

I'm on the hunt now for a 4742 to replace my 4642 client.
post #15770 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

This is the exact reason I swapped my 8642s for 8742s. I highly recommend you do what you need to in order to get the 8742s.

I'm on the hunt now for a 4742 to replace my 4642 client.

I'm trying, but dealing with TWC is a nightmare. CSR's don't know one box from another. You would think as a Sig Home sub this wouldn't be such a challenge! I also found that the chat rep I spoke with ********ted me because there are no notes in the account about getting me an 8742. I'm going to try and run it up the chain.

post #15771 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Here's what I'd like to see for Sig Home:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/25/m...wow-customers/

Still doesn't have a large enough hard drive. I would like to see at least a TB. Or better yet no hard drive at all in the actual box. If our AV systems are going network so that everything is plugged into the same household router then the storage could be user provided. Something like the WD My Book Duo.

Of course the best option would be if the government forced the media companies to allow customers to buy or rent their own boxes from third parties. The channel info, PPV, VOD, etc. would be some type of open source so that anyone could could write software/firmware for a tuner/DVR box.

I am not an Apple fanboy, but can you imagine the pressure it would put on the industry if they came out with the iSettop.

Imagine if that same set top box that you used with any traditional provider; (Sat, Cable, FIOS, etc) was also able to stream from any internet provder like Hulu or Netflix and could also access media from your own network storage drive.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #15772 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still doesn't have a large enough hard drive. I would like to see at least a TB. Or better yet no hard drive at all in the actual box. If our AV systems are going network so that everything is plugged into the same household router then the storage could be user provided. Something like the WD My Book Duo.

Of course the best option would be if the government forced the media companies to allow customers to buy or rent their own boxes from third parties. The channel info, PPV, VOD, etc. would be some type of open source so that anyone could could write software/firmware for a tuner/DVR box.

I am not an Apple fanboy, but can you imagine the pressure it would put on the industry if they came out with the iSettop.

Imagine if that same set top box that you used with any traditional provider; (Sat, Cable, FIOS, etc) was also able to stream from any internet provder like Hulu or Netflix and could also access media from your own network storage drive.

Agreed, but the Moxi allows for external hard drives. I could easily slap a 1TB on that. Not to worry, Time Warner will NEVER give us something that good. It was just my wishful thinking.

post #15773 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

They already did... and consumer devices fully conforming to tru2way (the public brand name for OCAP - the "O" in ODN) would be able to do those things. But once again, general consumer interest has been so low that consumer electronics manufacturers (Panasonic, in particular) never have gotten past test markets.

Not that TWC would make things easy even if tru2way ever had taken off.... when setting up my HDHR Prime network tuner I had to go to two different local TWC offices (on opposite sides of Charlotte) to get a CableCard at one office and an SDV tuning adaptor at another, then wait on the phone over an hour with the TWC CableCard Activation Center to get it activated. Despite the initial difficulties, it has worked very well. My son has not been so lucky with the Raleigh TWC folks... they have not been able to find a working CableCard at all for him to use with his Prime.

BTW, the Prime is not a tru2way device... it's a one-way CableCard device that does not support PPV/VOD or run the Java based ODN UI & guide that a tru2way device would. But it does work very well once you get a working CableCard.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #15774 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

They already did... and consumer devices fully conforming to tru2way (the public brand name for OCAP - the "O" in ODN) would be able to do those things. But once again, general consumer interest has been so low that consumer electronics manufacturers (Panasonic, in particular) never have gotten past test markets.

Not that TWC would make things easy even if tru2way ever had taken off.... when setting up my HDHR Prime network tuner I had to go to two different local TWC offices (on opposite sides of Charlotte) to get a CableCard at one office and an SDV tuning adaptor at another, then wait on the phone over an hour with the TWC CableCard Activation Center to get it activated. Despite the initial difficulties, it has worked very well. My son has not been so lucky with the Raleigh TWC folks... they have not been able to find a working CableCard at all for him to use with his Prime.

BTW, the Prime is not a tru2way device... it's a one-way CableCard device that does not support PPV/VOD or run the Java based ODN UI & guide that a tru2way device would. But it does work very well once you get a working CableCard.

Right, but I'm talking about TWC actually stocking, issuing and supporting the Moxi even on a limited basis for say, Sig Home subs. I'm not against using a cable provided unit, but the evolution of Navigator has been horrible.

The Moxi with built in wireless also solves the problem with the TWC TV apps people are running into where they don't have TWC internet. Right now, TWC is going out and setting up a wireless device for TV subs where the Moxi has that built in.

post #15775 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Right, but I'm talking about TWC actually stocking, issuing and supporting the Moxi even on a limited basis for say, Sig Home subs. I'm not against using a cable provided unit, but the evolution of Navigator has been horrible.

The Moxi with built in wireless also solves the problem with the TWC TV apps people are running into where they don't have TWC internet. Right now, TWC is going out and setting up a wireless device for TV subs where the Moxi has that built in.

Agree... I was responding specifically to UNCHeel's comment that the gov't should mandate the ability to use third party devices.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #15776 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm getting nowhere trying to procure an 8742. I stopped at a local office to ask about one and the lady never heard of it. Why is it so difficult to get a Sig Home customer a current box? We are in the minority of total overall subs.

post #15777 of 18712 Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm getting nowhere trying to procure an 8742. I stopped at a local office to ask about one and the lady never heard of it. Why is it so difficult to get a Sig Home customer a current box? We are in the minority of total overall subs.

They truly don't know or acknowledge any difference in any of the boxes. The typical customer does not know or care either, so they can get away with such naivety.

Besides sheer luck of getting one at a local office, the only other way to get one may be to form a personal relationship with your local tech, and get his cell phone number.
post #15778 of 18712 Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I offered a response to this same post in the Charlotte TWC forum. Mine is doing the exact same thing.

Quote:

No idea how to fix it other than lock it into 720p, but mine is doing the exact same thing! I believe it's an HDMI handshake issue. My second 8742 is connected to an older DLP TV via component cables and it does not have this issue. As you said, a few channel flips back and forth to a 720p channel will usually resolve the issue.

I'll respond here ...

Yeah, when my tech was here ... I noticed it immediately on CNN (especially on the letters in the news chyron and ticker). The Output Resolution was set to 1080i only. So I included 720p, and that seemed to fix the problem (even though I was still on the 1080i channel). Little did I know that was luck.

It's frustrating because this box is such an improvement over the Samsung and Ciscos I've been using for the last year. Yet, this issue is SO noticeable on a large TV. If it were smaller, I would just lock it to 720p and forget about it. But, there is a very clear difference between HBO at 720p and 1080i converted. When it's working it's fantastic ... possibly even more clear than before. (Wish I knew if the IP video claim were true.)

Anyway, thanks for your input. Maybe this will get addressed as more folks switch over the 8742.

One sidenote: because I've been in the habit of using the "LAST" button so frequently now (to provoke the handshake/scaler) ... I've realized for the first time that LAST will actually take you back to a recorded show you were viewing. So for example: if you are watching something from your list, and need to hit the LIVE button because of breaking news, etc. ... instead of going back into your list to resume your show, you can just hit the LAST button and it will return you to where you were (assuming you haven't done any channel-hopping in the interim). Probably old news ... but new to me.
post #15779 of 18712 Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeway View Post

I'll respond here ...

Yeah, when my tech was here ... I noticed it immediately on CNN (especially on the letters in the news chyron and ticker). The Output Resolution was set to 1080i only. So I included 720p, and that seemed to fix the problem (even though I was still on the 1080i channel). Little did I know that was luck.

It's frustrating because this box is such an improvement over the Samsung and Ciscos I've been using for the last year. Yet, this issue is SO noticeable on a large TV. If it were smaller, I would just lock it to 720p and forget about it. But, there is a very clear difference between HBO at 720p and 1080i converted. When it's working it's fantastic ... possibly even more clear than before. (Wish I knew if the IP video claim were true.)

Anyway, thanks for your input. Maybe this will get addressed as more folks switch over the 8742.

One sidenote: because I've been in the habit of using the "LAST" button so frequently now (to provoke the handshake/scaler) ... I've realized for the first time that LAST will actually take you back to a recorded show you were viewing. So for example: if you are watching something from your list, and need to hit the LIVE button because of breaking news, etc. ... instead of going back into your list to resume your show, you can just hit the LAST button and it will return you to where you were (assuming you haven't done any channel-hopping in the interim). Probably old news ... but new to me.

Can you post some JPEG screenshots? (Of the Output Resolution issue?) This would be interesting to study.

Jack

post #15780 of 18712 Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
written by Eugene Mirman, he paid to place this as a newspaper ad:
http://eugenemirman.com/wp-content/u...6.53.40-PM.png

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page