144Likes

post #15931 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

As far as TWC and Netflix go, if TWC hates Netflix then why is TWC using Netflix in it's commercials to advertise TWC products? They prominently display the Netflix logo in their new "Enjoy Better" advertising.

Good point! Maybe something's cooking with regard to a TWC/Netflix relationship?

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15932 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I have a Roku and I still have to pay for Netflix and Amazon, so the point is kind of moot since these are what I'm refering too. I'll concede the point that Roku adds some many other free offerings among the paid ones though.

But there is still the TiVo service fee ON TOP OF THESE NETFLIX/AMAZON COSTS.

Quote:

The 8300HD is a great box, but it's dated now. No Multi-Room & small drive.

Multi-Room is a legit point (though there is a "poor man' MR workaround" possible with the 8300). Small Drive: You know that eSATA drives are available for the 8300HD (I've hqad one since 2005)

Quote:

I'm guessing if the newer models could run MDN the issues would be far less.

I agree - but then those boxes wouldn't run OCAP features (which we are yet to see).

Dave Hancock
post #15933 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

But there is still the TiVo service fee ON TOP OF THESE NETFLIX/AMAZON COSTS.

TWC still charges a DVR fee, don't they? The Tivo fee is the same price point as the TWC charge now (actually less per box because TWC charges you the DVR Fee + Rental Fee). I'm paying for that in addition to my TWC fees right now.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #15934 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

TWC still charges a DVR fee, don't they? The Tivo fee is the same price point as the TWC charge now (actually less per box because TWC charges you the DVR Fee + Rental Fee). I'm paying for that in addition to my TWC fees right now.

Good point. I'd like to see real numbers here. CableCARD fees, SDV adapter fees (might be zero for these) + TiVo fees compared to current DVR rates. (My bill shows just the DVR Fee - what is the Rental Fee that you are talking about?)

Dave Hancock
post #15935 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I think everyone is over it. I think our point (at least mine) is when mentioning it is how that a piece of software ages older than Navigator can perform and have a feature set head & shoulders above Navigator!

Everyone seems to point to other boxes/software as being vastly superior. Until you "live" with another piece of equipment for a couple of months, you will never truely know. In other word "the pasture is always greener..."
post #15936 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

I would first have to negotiate money and a fair rental price for such a box. I would only trust a totally new box system IF TWC had NO SAY IN PROGRAMING IT! In other words, no matter how "advanced" it would be, TWC would have to be like they were with Passport. Let Tivo take control of the guide and TWC is hands off.

You get TWC programmers and developers in the cookie jar of a Tivo box, they will just find more ways to screw it up while everyone's prices go up $10 more a month. And TWC I don't think is about to watch their basted child "Crapigator" die.

Jack

Everyone seems to blame the programmers. In a large company, marketing always runs the show, Lets blame them.
post #15937 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

You get TWC programmers and developers in the cookie jar of a Tivo box, they will just find more ways to screw it up

Have you ever done any computer programming? Even easy stuff, nothing this complex? What exactly do you know about their programming staff, their level of experience and expertise? How is it that you know the data processing staff is the root of the problem?
post #15938 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Have you ever done any computer programming? Even easy stuff, nothing this complex? What exactly do you know about their programming staff, their level of experience and expertise? How is it that you know the data processing staff is the root of the problem?

Gee let's blame the hardware on the box...software needs improvement move on..!!!....

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #15939 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of who to blame or not to blame,

It is certainly true that without seeing and understanding the source code it is a difficult task. I never disputed that. My view is that TWC should put more time into Navigator to sync with current technology, not something that would be acceptable in 2001. Passport was better than Navigator in many ways and like I said that came out 10 years ago. Programing may have been hard for the Passport/Aptiv TV developers too. I just believe that Navigator should be better than it is after seven years in the field.

And I give TREMENDOUS KUDOS to TWC for the greatness of their superior Internet service, and Digital Phone service. I just love it! And being with TWC for 25 years, service has been good. But our program guide "Gaters" should be more than they are, not just tolerable. Maybe it's my fault that I just can't accept that Navigator is the way it is, but I'm working on it!

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15940 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Regardless of who to blame or not to blame,

It is certainly true that without seeing and understanding the source code it is a difficult task. I never disputed that. My view is that TWC should put more time into Navigator to sync with current technology, not something that would be acceptable in 2001. Passport was better than Navigator in many ways and like I said that came out 10 years ago. Programing may have been hard for the Passport/Aptiv TV developers too. I just believe that Navigator should be better than it is after seven years in the field.

And I give TREMENDOUS KUDOS to TWC for the greatness of their superior Internet service, and Digital Phone service. I just love it! And being with TWC for 25 years, service has been good. But our program guide "Gaters" should be more than they are, not just tolerable. Maybe it's my fault that I just can't accept that Navigator is the way it is, but I'm working on it!

Jack

Mine is working very good with last upgrade finally: Can you see what is different...?
LL

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #15941 of 18919 Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Good point. I'd like to see real numbers here. CableCARD fees, SDV adapter fees (might be zero for these) + TiVo fees compared to current DVR rates. (My bill shows just the DVR Fee - what is the Rental Fee that you are talking about?)

Fees seem to vary by division, so I can only speak for here. The CableCard Fee is about $2 and Tuning Adapters are still free. The "Rental Fee" refers to additional boxes/outlets beyond the first which is included in your package. For example if I want two DVR's I have to pay the DVR fee for the first one and then a DVR fee for the second plus an additional $8 for the box fee. So, a second DVR can easily tack on another $20+ a month. I have to confirm if Tivo charges a monthly fee per box or per account, but either way it would be cheaper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Mine is working very good with last upgrade finally: Can you see what is different...?

Look like they are rolling out a 16x9 GUI and trying to mimic DirecTV color scheme. The black on black really doesn't look that great. Will this be for Sig Home subs or everyone? More over, does it add any of the valuable features missing from the current flavors of Navigatoer such as: Permanent Guide Filter & Ability to see scheduled recordings across networked DVR's?

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #15942 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Gee let's blame the hardware on the box...software needs improvement move on..!!!....

Exactly! Try loading Windows 7 on your desktop from not so many years ago.
post #15943 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Latest problem I've noticed in the last few days is that when watching a recorded show, if another show on the same DVR starts recording it will kick me to live and if I try to get back into the recorded show it starts from the beginning. Very annoying, happended a few times just last night. Seems to only happen if both tuners are being used to record. Will have to put in a support call when I have time.
post #15944 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Latest problem I've noticed in the last few days is that when watching a recorded show, if another show on the same DVR starts recording it will kick me to live and if I try to get back into the recorded show it starts from the beginning. Very annoying, happended a few times just last night. Seems to only happen if both tuners are being used to record. Will have to put in a support call when I have time.

I've reported this and was told it was a known problem (on the Cisco 8640HDC - they offered to replace the box with a Samsung or 8642 but I don't want the hassle). A work-around which works for me is to make sure the box is tuned to one of the "to be recorded" channels before viewing a previoulsy recorded program.
post #15945 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpoint View Post

I've reported this and was told it was a known problem (on the Cisco 8640HDC - they offered to replace the box with a Samsung or 8642 but I don't want the hassle). A work-around which works for me is to make sure the box is tuned to one of the "to be recorded" channels before viewing a previoulsy recorded program.

I'll try that. I think it may still occur if both tuners have to change channels for other recordings.
post #15946 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Interesting. I have an 8640 (I'm in the San Diego area) and I'll start watching a recorded program when the tuners kick in to start recording (if I have two scheduled) and I stay right on my recorded program. If I hit the LIST key to see what's going on (when I see the recording light on), I see the programs being recorded, but I stay right where I am.

Must be your version of Navigator. (Not sure what I have, I haven't looked lately).
post #15947 of 18919 Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Interesting. I have an 8640 (I'm in the San Diego area) and I'll start watching a recorded program when the tuners kick in to start recording (if I have two scheduled) and I stay right on my recorded program. If I hit the LIST key to see what's going on (when I see the recording light on), I see the programs being recorded, but I stay right where I am.

Must be your version of Navigator. (Not sure what I have, I haven't looked lately).

It wasn't behaving this way until the last few days, must be the "upgrade"
post #15948 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The last upgrade has my caller ID on TV not logging the calls when the box is off. Not a big deal but I liked the way it worked before they "fixed" it.
post #15949 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

The problem started for me about 2 weeks ago, presumably after an update (box was re-booted overnight). I have ODN 5.1.0_4.
post #15950 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I'll try that. I think it may still occur if both tuners have to change channels for other recordings.

The other thing I noticed is that when I resumed the program I was viewing after the box switched live, it resumed from the last saved point if I had previously done a "stop and save". For a while, until I discovered the work-around, I would "stop and save" the recording a minute or so before the box switched live and take a break.
post #15951 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM

I have 2 8742 box i got about a month ago when i upgraded to whole house dvr, currently 1 dvr has about 20 hrs if SD programming(it on an analog set) and it says its 15% full. Seems normal to me, however the the other box has 4hrs of HD programming on the dvr and it says it 86% full. It deleted 5 hours of shows last night to make room for the 2 hours of shows it was set to record. I even put a moca filter on the line with the box to the HDTV to keep the two boxes from talking to each other and that didnt help. Also tried the normal reboot stuff.

Has anyone had or seen this issue?

Also on a side note before i upgraded to whole house i had an 8640 and i had the same recording issues with that box 4-6 hrs of recordings and the hard drive was full.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

TWC Southwest Ohio[/size]
post #15952 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpoint View Post

The other thing I noticed is that when I resumed the program I was viewing after the box switched live, it resumed from the last saved point if I had previously done a "stop and save". For a while, until I discovered the work-around, I would "stop and save" the recording a minute or so before the box switched live and take a break.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I think it works if you just stop for a moment while watching the recording, stop and save shouldn't come up unless you're actually on a live channel that's recording.
Luckily the hold FF to jump tip I got on here makes getting back to that point faster.
post #15953 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Since everyone is reporting effects of their upgrades... I've noticed two:
  • Series adds/deletes/changes on my 8640 are now lightning fast... they used to be horribly slow. What used to take 30-60 seconds now happens so fast you can't even read the screen that pops up. This is a very positive change
  • The Menu button now brings you to a totally different/new channel menu that is pretty worthless (it brings up categories of channels but no programming/guide info). There is no longer any access to the DVR List, Settings or Search functions as in the past. I always used the direct access buttons for those functions anyway, so it's a "who cares" change to me, but the new channel menu is worthless and a poor substitute for a customizable guide.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #15954 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate5711 View Post

I have 2 8742 box i got about a month ago when i upgraded to whole house dvr, currently 1 dvr has about 20 hrs if SD programming(it on an analog set) and it says its 15% full. Seems normal to me, however the the other box has 4hrs of HD programming on the dvr and it says it 86% full. It deleted 5 hours of shows last night to make room for the 2 hours of shows it was set to record. I even put a moca filter on the line with the box to the HDTV to keep the two boxes from talking to each other and that didnt help. Also tried the normal reboot stuff.

Has anyone had or seen this issue?

Also on a side note before i upgraded to whole house i had an 8640 and i had the same recording issues with that box 4-6 hrs of recordings and the hard drive was full.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Hi Nate,

That issue with your 87% full space on the Cisco 8742 can be solved be rebooting the box. At least that's what someone else did with that same box and it fixed the problem.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15955 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Since everyone is reporting effects of their upgrades... I've noticed two:
  • Series adds/deletes/changes on my 8640 are now lightning fast... they used to be horribly slow. What used to take 30-60 seconds now happens so fast you can't even read the screen that pops up. This is a very positive change
  • The Menu button now brings you to a totally different/new channel menu that is pretty worthless (it brings up categories of channels but no programming/guide info). There is no longer any access to the DVR List, Settings or Search functions as in the past. I always used the direct access buttons for those functions anyway, so it's a "who cares" change to me, but the new channel menu is worthless and a poor substitute for a customizable guide.

Sup JC?

Are you saying that there is no access to the DVR list when pressing the Menu button? (and get that new information?) or your DVR List button doesn't bring up anything? I just tried mine on my SA-8300HDC with ODN 5.1.06, and pressing Menu, just brings up the Access Menu, like it did before.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
post #15956 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Nate,

That issue with your 87% full space on the Cisco 8742 can be solved be rebooting the box. At least that's what someone else did with that same box and it fixed the problem.

Jack

That was me. It happened once when I first upgraded. I put in a service call and the tech had me reboot it, at first it still showed very full but soon after it started registering correctly and I haven't seen it happen again.
post #15957 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sup JC?

Are you saying that there is no access to the DVR list when pressing the Menu button? (and get that new information?) or your DVR List button doesn't bring up anything? I just tried mine on my SA-8300HDC with ODN 5.1.06, and pressing Menu, just brings up the Access Menu, like it did before.

Jack

No access to ANYTHING via the MENU button except some silly channel category lists. The old top level menu is gone completely... But it is still called Access Menu even though it accesses nothing.

Attached are quick pics of the new main Access Menu and the Live TV HD sub-menu. The selections across the bar at the bottom of he Main Menu are the only ones available. In the sub menu, selecting one of the channels just blindly switches to the channel... no current program info is displayed.
LL
LL

post #15958 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was me. It happened once when I first upgraded. I put in a service call and the tech had me reboot it, at first it still showed very full but soon after it started registering correctly and I haven't seen it happen again.

Same here... Happened just once and reboot fixed it. Software version was 5.0 at the time it occurred.

post #15959 of 18919 Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Hi Nate,

Jack

Thanks for the info, that seems to have worked. When i rebooted the box a few hours ago it still said it was at 86% full. I just checked it and now its at 4%.

Also where do i go to find out what ODN version i have on my boxes.

Thanks Again

TWC Southwest Ohio[/size]
post #15960 of 18919 Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate5711 View Post

Thanks for the info, that seems to have worked. When i rebooted the box a few hours ago it still said it was at 86% full. I just checked it and now its at 4%.

Also where do i go to find out what ODN version i have on my boxes.

Thanks Again

Quick Settings generally has a channel called DIAGS, that some TWC divisions hide, because they don't want people to know about box specifics. Go to Favorite Channels and go to the highest channel range that your system has by pressing the Page +/- key.

In your highest number range will be a channel called DIAGS, for Diagnostics. Make a note of the channel number and Exit out of the menu:

1.) Enter the channel number, allowing 30 seconds or so for the screen to load.

2.) After loading, you will find about 6 pages on an MDN box. (No C Model, and not a Samsung.) or 10 Pages on an ODN (C Model or Samsung box.) Use the Page +/- button to scroll through each page till you find a page that says, "Software Version." That is your version of the guide.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC CHANNEL:

(This step is a little more advanced, and may screw up your box if you push a wrong button (though unlikely.) Select a channel that shows a blank screen first if you can. It is easier to see the guide data.

1.) Press and hold the Select button on your Remote until the Mail icon starts flashing.

2.) Press the Down Arrow.

3.) This is the advanced diagnostic section, Carefully use the Page +/- button to look for software version on the screens. There will be 20 pages or more here.

3.) Find your software version and press Exit when you are done, or whatever button is required to leave the screen.

If you have an MDN (No C, No Samsung) box, you likely have either Navigator 3.0 or 3.1.

If you have an ODN (C, or Samsung box) This is the more modern version of the guide you likely have either Navigator 4.1.06, 4.1.07 or the new Navigator 5.0 anywhere from Navigator 5.0-5.1.XX.

Jack

Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page