3Likes

post #18601 of 18623 Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

It is also possible that your upstream communication is what needs to be amplified. Is the amp they gave you bi-directional? Often times they are not and the techs don't even understand that SDV requires two way comms. Check your upstream power in the diags screen. Upstream should be in the low 40s. If it is in the 50s then this is almost certainly your problem.

xnappo

are you talking SNR? in both cases (In and out) the levels are <40dB

ncmikey
TWC Signature Home 2-SMT3272 DVR, ODN 7.2.0_11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18602 of 18623 Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

OK.

If the channels that you get this on are SDV channels, the problem could be due to not enough channels in the SDV pool when the recording is to be made. That would have nothing to do with the DVR being used. If it were me, I would complain each and every time that this problem occurs. I know that that approach worked in the Rochester, NY region (when I lived there), Eventually they "split" troublesome nodes which essentially doubled the available pool to individual subscribers.

I complain constantly .. it does NO good. If I had a choice I would move from TWC but no line of sight for Satellite & U-verse is not available in my area

And the latest incident involved a program on NBC which is not on SDV .. so who knows

ncmikey

post #18603 of 18623 Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So Time Warner Cable hit a new low.
I can't watch a single channel without either a broken EAS system or it might be interference.

you decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_qG5XVY6s

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #18604 of 18623 Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Liked: 11
I'm in Millcreek, and I'm not having this problem at all. Have you called tech support?
post #18605 of 18623 Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 13
I w
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

I'm in Millcreek, and I'm not having this problem at all. Have you called tech support?
I would have if I didn't reset my DTA which solved the problem (for now).

Just had to get that on video because I have never had a problem like that

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #18606 of 18623 Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The other day,

I recorded a show at 7am, and couldn't record it because the DVR said there was a conflict,

However, when I checked in the Record Log, only the show that didn't record with the conflict was present. There was no second show in the Recording Log.

Satch

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #18607 of 18623 Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 PM
BWX

Liked: 25

I get that "channel not available" all the time on my Samsung box and my signals are all fine, upstream too. I can check them easily, and do, often, just to make sure.  It started about 5 months ago, I guess, after a big software update, before that it was recording shows fairly reliably.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2

[S]SA 8300HD (no C)  *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-[/S] -8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area!

WTF AVS? No strike-through allowed in sig??

post #18608 of 18623 Old 06-07-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I don't even have a TWC box now and I have never stopped receiving "channel unavailable" messages. It's not just a Navigator issue, it's a TWC issue and their infrastructure. Even if a channel isn't being served by an over-subscribed SDV node TWC are moving around all the channels to digital tiers and those too can be compromised depending on the system in your area. They are so adamant at making sure that internet-only subs cannot access free broadcast network signals they will intentionally push them out of receivable range that causes equipment reception issues.

post #18609 of 18623 Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm not really understanding what you're saying here. Are you upset you're not getting what your not paying for?
post #18610 of 18623 Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Maybe this is what you're talking about: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29304811-TV-Clear-QAM-signals
post #18611 of 18623 Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

Maybe this is what you're talking about: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29304811-TV-Clear-QAM-signals

Nope. TWC will change the frequency to push them out of easily receivable range of some basic QAM tuners. They don't encrypt them, they move them to signals that are hard to receive. This has the knock on effect of forcing CableCARDs to have to constantly re-acquire the channel signal and remap or have to keep polling to lock-on to a new channel frequency. CableCARD devices will eventually fix the problem themselves by rebooting or updating, but if the switch occurs before you are about to record something then the channel may not be where the card usually finds it.

Most of the the time failed recordings are SDV problems and there is nothing you, your box or any equipment you have can do about it, because it's entirely a problem on TWCs end.

post #18612 of 18623 Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
When and where (what systems) did all of this start happening??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #18613 of 18623 Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's been happening for years here and TWC do it in other markets too. Our local NBC engineer used to vent his frustration on his blog and for anyone with a clear QAM tuner TWC shuffle the frequencies around so often it's not worth the effort to try and rescan every other month. At least a CC device can fix itself over time but like I said, as far as I understand/remember it when a box requests a channel at the previously known card frequency location the box keeps trying to generate a lock. Depending on the equipment the device may give up too soon (which was a problem with TiVo) and generate a failure message and screw up the recording.

It wan't as bad in the old days, so if you still have an old SA8300 without a card you might be dodging a bullet there. You just have to deal with Navigator trying to clumsily grab SDV channels. How many channel failures did we get with Passport on an 8300? None!

edit: Here's a report from a Comcast user about them doing the same type of thing. http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Cable-Card-InfiniTV-4-Service-is-Unavailable/td-p/1337265

post #18614 of 18623 Old 06-10-2014, 11:44 PM
BWX

Liked: 25

That would shed some light on that "channel not available" BS.

Also sometimes channels are just all of the sudden gone.. and won't come back until I reboot the box sometimes.  When I look, the signals are always fine. Maybe that has something to do with that problem too.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2

[S]SA 8300HD (no C)  *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-[/S] -8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area!

WTF AVS? No strike-through allowed in sig??

post #18615 of 18623 Old 06-11-2014, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
These are still FCC assigned CATV channels aren't they?? You aren't talking about some offset frequencies from ones assigned by the FCC are you??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #18616 of 18623 Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 12
So, I recorded the start of the World Cup this afternoon along with the first match between Brazil and Croatia.

The opening program didn't even record and while the actual game did, it was just a black screen. It wouldn't even let me fast forward through it.

The same thing happened when I recorded F1 practice FP2 at Monaco a few weeks ago!

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #18617 of 18623 Old 06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

National line ups have been delayed in several areas,

It is too bad that some divisions refuse to give out the newer boxes expect to Whole/Home Signature Home Subs. The Auto HD feature has been dropped and the channels will now "Auto Tune" to the HD equivalent of that channel on HD boxes. If no HD channel is available, the SD stations tune. The puny 160GB storage of the legacy SA boxes is a problem, and TWC should restore the Auto Tune HD feature On/Off functionality.

The national-line up also has planned, an update which will allow the Navigator Time Grid to sort channels alphabetically (Network A-Z.) All channels will have this functionality.
Heard that this next Navigator Update fixes the bug of shows being recorded sometimes randomly.
Searches will continue to move to cloud-based server environments for all boxes. With the new Advanced Search being disliked TWC is looking for ways to make that process better.
Release of new update will be this summer, so very soon. The main goal of this update is to synchronize the channel-line ups.

Post when you hear anything, or get anything new on your boxes.

Satch

PS. This forum software update sucks!!!! Text looks like DOS! And there's no way that I can tell how users can see when topics have new posts.
kjpjr and JoeNc like this.

post #18618 of 18623 Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone experience frequent audio and video dropouts? I assume it is the Navigator software that causes the screen to go black and the HDMI connections to resync every 10 minutes or so. I tolerate it only because the alternatives are getting a new DVR which means losing recorded programs and the possibility of having a "tech" come to my house.

Reading a few forums it looks like Comcast's DVR software(old or new X1) is worse than Navigator!

Maybe the people who get bought by Charter will have better luck.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #18619 of 18623 Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
Does anyone experience frequent audio and video dropouts? I assume it is the Navigator software that causes the screen to go black and the HDMI connections to resync every 10 minutes or so. I tolerate it only because the alternatives are getting a new DVR which means losing recorded programs and the possibility of having a "tech" come to my house.

Reading a few forums it looks like Comcast's DVR software(old or new X1) is worse than Navigator!

Have you tried switching to component video cables? It fixed some problems I was having in which I suspected the HDMI cables could have been the culprit. I have found no detectable difference in the video quality.

ncmikey

post #18620 of 18623 Old 06-25-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

The audio dropouts are an issue that seems to come and go with different versions of ODN. I've been bitching about it on and off for years, and it was either completely or mostly better through the last few ODN versions. However, the current version is about as bad as it has ever been. The dropouts are on both HDMI and the coax/optical outputs. Sometimes it's a complete dropout... sometimes it's just the center channel. Power cycling (power button... not a reboot) the box will almost always fix it.

The video dropouts are new and started immediately with the current version of ODN. I initially went crazy trying to troubleshoot connections, but it does it whether it's direct to TV or through AVR and with at least a half-dozen different cables. It'll just go black... most often for just a second or so... occasionally for longer periods. Again, power cycling the box seems to make it stop dropping out for a while... at least for the remainder of the evening's viewing.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Last edited by jcalabria; 06-27-2014 at 05:28 AM.
post #18621 of 18623 Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Does anyone know if the 6 tuner DVRs have ever been released from TWC testing for installations? Specifically I'm interested in the Triad NC area.

ncmikey

post #18622 of 18623 Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
Does anyone know if the 6 tuner DVRs have ever been released from TWC testing for installations? Specifically I'm interested in the Triad NC area.
Nothing known yet,

I read somewhere that there was a delay, but don't know the reason why.

Jack
ncmikey likes this.

post #18623 of 18623 Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Arris' Navgiator is nice, but does it have the technical data like Motorola's boxes like to show signal strengths?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page