19Likes

post #18631 of 18652 Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post
If you can afford to waste the time, I have found that just letting them come out for a tech visit is a pretty good strategy. The tech figures out that it is not a box problem, and reports back to TWC central.
That's provided you have a good tech come out. When I had signal issues, I had at least five different techs come out over a period of months and all they did was suggest a box swap. I had some real bad techs, lying about things and really stretching the truth.

Between all the tech visits and the hours wasted talking to online and phone support, well, that's a lot of time.

I finally had a tech that took the time to figure out that it was a signal issue.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18632 of 18652 Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM
BWX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenier View Post
That's provided you have a good tech come out. When I had signal issues, I had at least five different techs come out over a period of months and all they did was suggest a box swap. I had some real bad techs, lying about things and really stretching the truth.

Between all the tech visits and the hours wasted talking to online and phone support, well, that's a lot of time.

I finally had a tech that took the time to figure out that it was a signal issue.
Yeah that experience is not unique, I can tell you that for sure.
phildaant likes this.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2

[S]SA 8300HD (no C)  *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-[/S] -8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area!

WTF AVS? No strike-through allowed in sig??

post #18633 of 18652 Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
No luck with TWC's online support, all they wanted to do is schedule a tech visit, they don't seem to listen that it's not a box issue. I know how every tech visit goes, "it's a bad box", they leave and the problem persists.

I just waited it out and figure it'd be fixed eventually.
I just went through the exact same thing. Non-DVR would search fine. Also, random "not available" SDV channels and VOD would not work. Tech came out, replaced one wire and increased my signal to the DVR many dB and very fast search, etc. immediately after the fix. So, if does not come back in a week, let the tech come out. My second call in two days (to check the first phone support's work) did tell me my DVR had been out to them for 7+ days in its 2-way.

/Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #18634 of 18652 Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Also in Wisconsin here,

However, the need for techs has been very rare. When they do come out, most have been very good, and some were excellent. I think I had two bad ones at most, and we have had cable with TWC for about twenty-five years.

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #18635 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
The past few days, Search has been intermittently disabled.
For a few days, I stayed up and watched Search start failing at around 3 AM until around 6 AM or so. It worked fine the rest of the day. After a few more days, the problem was gone entirely.

Had a bit of a scare when I read the headline that Fox was making an unsolicited takeover offer for Time Warner. I was relieved once I realized it was Time Warner, Inc, not Time Warner Cable. So I can still look forward to Charter taking over my area, and I can begin viewing TWC as the unreal, fever-dream nightmare it was certain to have been !
phildaant likes this.

ODN 7.2.0_11, Cisco 8742HDC
post #18636 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Navigator seems to have suddenly decided it's going to change the start times of schedules shows or just outright cancel them. Over the past few weeks, I've had a few shows that I had scheduled just disappear or the time would change, resulting in a conflict.

I had a program scheduled to record at midnight but Navigator changed it to 9pm, and it didn't record because I was recording two other things. I also had two scheduled recordings vanish.
post #18637 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Navigator seems to have suddenly decided it's going to change the start times of schedules shows or just outright cancel them. Over the past few weeks, I've had a few shows that I had scheduled just disappear or the time would change, resulting in a conflict.

I had a program scheduled to record at midnight but Navigator changed it to 9pm, and it didn't record because I was recording two other things. I also had two scheduled recordings vanish.
I think http://forums.timewarnercable.com/ and http://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc mentioned this issue recently?
post #18638 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Thanks, I'll have to poke around the timewarner forums, the dslreports forums aren't much help, you can't see anyone else's issues.
phildaant likes this.
post #18639 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 PM
BWX

Quote:

Navigator is a disaster. I cannot wait until it is dead forever.

Most times the shows don't even end up in the "recording log" anymore.. they just completely vanish as if you never did anything.

It makes rescheduling missed shows a complete hassle, if they are even on again, ever.

[S]SA 8300HD (no C)  *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-[/S] -8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area!

post #18640 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Most times the shows don't even end up in the "recording log" anymore.. they just completely vanish as if you never did anything.

It makes rescheduling missed shows a complete hassle, if they are even on again, ever.
Dang it. Navigator has been out for years, and still has a lot of problems? I had to toss the old Motorola DVR due to issues and its iGuide was buggy too.
post #18641 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 PM
BWX

I miss SD SARA if that tells you anything.

post #18642 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
I miss SD SARA if that tells you anything.
I have no idea. Skater?
post #18643 of 18652 Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 PM
BWX

Quote:
I have no idea. Skater?
SD stands for standard definition..

SARA
http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/basepo...x=/xnappo/main

SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA

It is what I had before Navigator. Looked old, but worked a million times better than navigator ever did.
phildaant likes this.

post #18644 of 18652 Old 07-20-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:

SARA

It is what I had before Navigator. Looked old, but worked a million times better than navigator ever did.
Ah. How about iGuide?
post #18645 of 18652 Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

SARA

LOL - wow that thing is still around!

I can't believe you guys haven't moved to WMC or Tivo. Now that there is Roku etc to handle the 'In-Demand' issue - why do you continue to torture yourselves?

xnappo
phildaant likes this.
post #18646 of 18652 Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

I can't believe you guys haven't moved to WMC or Tivo. Now that there is Roku etc to handle the 'In-Demand' issue - why do you continue to torture yourselves?

xnappo
Eh? I thought those cannot use onDemand with cable cards with TWC and only TWC's cable digital boxes (e.g., DVRs) can.
post #18647 of 18652 Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Eh? I thought those cannot use onDemand with cable cards with TWC and only TWC's cable digital boxes (e.g., DVRs) can.
That is why I mentioned Roku (Chromecast etc). Use that for OnDemand, and Tivo/WMC for recording. And stop torturing yourself.

Besides - do you REALLY use OnDemand anyway?

xnappo
phildaant likes this.
post #18648 of 18652 Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Be very careful what you wish for.

I just got back from visiting relatives in C* territory. When they first deployed their new X1 'platform' last year the guide UI was astonishingly intuitive And pretty fast. Well, sometime between February and June they went and changed it, screwed up the interface and worst of all made it worse-than-Navigator S....L...O...W.... Unbelieveably slow and quirky. Their customer support just acknowledged to my mom 'thats just the way it is'. Gawd help us if the merger goes through.
phildaant likes this.

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: SA 4250HDC Navigator: ODN version 7.2.0_11

Last edited by DiveFan; 07-20-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #18649 of 18652 Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Be very careful what you wish for.

I just got back from visiting relatives in C* territory. When they first deployed their new X1 'platform' last year the guide UI was astonishingly intuitive And pretty fast. Well, sometime between February and June they went and changed it, screwed up the interface and worst of all made it worse-than-Navigator S....L...O...W.... Unbelievably slow and quirky. Their customer support just acknowledged to my mom 'that's just the way it is'. Gawd help us if the merger goes through.
Greetings Dive Fan,

I have it on good authority that IF the merger goes through, regardless of whether you become Comcast, or spin off to Charter, it will be about five years before changes are completed. For the first several years, only the names on the trucks, buildings, and guides will change. I don't know too much about Xfinity, but I know that there are some recent bugs with it. I heard that the X2 is being developed. You won't have to worry about that for a very long time. Internet Speed improvements and channel line-up standardization are what is on the horizon. Navigator has an update coming soon, but I don't have any further details.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #18650 of 18652 Old 07-21-2014, 02:14 PM
BWX

Quote:

xnappo
No it is not still around, hence "I had before Nav"
phildaant likes this.

post #18651 of 18652 Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No it is not still around, hence "I had before Nav"
I meant my database thing is still there.

xnappo
phildaant likes this.
post #18652 of 18652 Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
BWX

Quote:
I meant my database thing is still there.

xnappo
Oh yeah, LOL. I guess so. First thing that came up in a search.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page