post #18811 of 18826 Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven68376 View Post
I got a brand new 8742 to replace the 8300 that finally had a hard drive failure and refused to reboot. This was about 14 months ago. The new 8742 worked flawlessly and I loved the extra storage it brought. All was fine until my local office (TWC Lincoln, NE) updated the ODN to 7.2.0.11 in about February of this year. I can't recall the number of the earlier version. It was after this update I noticed I would get very random audio dropouts on DVR playback. These dropouts are very quick, maybe one word and usually don't involve any breakup on the picture side of things. What was weird is I could hit the replay button, the one that backs up about five or ten seconds, and about 9 out of 10 times it then would play the portion again with no audio drop out. It was getting frustrating though having to hit that replay button about ten different times during a one hour show to catch words that were missed. I had a tech come out and he checked all the signals. They are good at about -5.0 to a -3.0. He was convinced it was a signal issue until I showed him how the box actually had recorded the audio signal but randomly was dropping it during playback. He said he didn't know what the problem was. I did alot of troubleshooting. I switched out HDMI cords, I switched the inputs on the TV. I unplugged my wireless router thinking maybe it was somehow randomly interfering. I even went to just composite video out with analog audio (red/white) and still the dropouts were there. Went into the box and tried changing setting such as wide, narrow, normal etc. No difference. My Xbox and Blue Player hooked up to the same inputs on the TV had no dropouts, even using the same HDMI cord I had on the cable box. I checked the diagnostic screen on the box and it said no read or write errors on the hard drive. So I switched it out for another 8742. Same exact thing. Random audio dropouts. Was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. Was wondering if maybe asking for an older DVR might help. Or maybe stick it out for a new ODN version, however they say they have no idea when a new one is coming. It has become an extremely annoying problem.

I forgot to mention one of the other trouble shooting things I did was brought down the box from upstairs, which is only a hi-def box with no DVR. Ran it for a few days on the same TV and no audio problems. I'm really thinking this is a firmware issue rather than a signal issue. As I said, the first box worked flawlessly (no audio dropouts) until the update.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, with ODN 7.2.0.11 I too noticed the box will now instead of powering on to the last channel it was tuned to, it will go back to channel 01 if it has been off for several hours. Prior to ODN 7.2.0.11 you knew when you turned on the box and it was on channel 01 that the box had been rebooted sometime since it was last on. Not a big deal but something I've noticed as well. I should note other than the audio dropouts, the box works like it's suppose to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
Yeah I have noticed the glitching audio dropouts.. sometimes worse.. But I think it is just crappy hardware driven by crappy software and you get crappy performance and weird bugs. Welcome to 2015. Funny that 10 years ago DVRs worked better with better software (at least in my case). most techs don't know jack, but they are trained to make you think they do.
Unlike many others here, I have never had any recording reliability or SDV issues here, and that's with ~70 series set up on my 8640HDC (or SMT-3090 before that). Other than one very specific issue years ago here in Charlotte with the 3090 refusing to record our local FOX affiliate, my TWC DVRs have been absolutely rock solid reliable in series recording.

However, I am seeing the same A/V dropouts and the not honoring the "start on previous channel" setting. The dropouts have been an on and off problem across several ODN versions (mostly "off" for the last few versions before 7.2.0_11), but the startup channel issue had never occurred here prior to 7.2.0_11. If you haven't discovered this already, the dropout issue can be "fixed" for the remainder of the current viewing session by a simple power cycle of the box (not a "pull the plug" reboot... just using the remote toggle the power off and back on again.)
phildaant likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18812 of 18826 Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM
BWX

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You've been lucky! I guess it probably has a lot to do with how much they "over-sell" your node. Seems like popular prime time shows are constantly getting "no channel available" errors, even when I check 2 minutes afterwards and channel is fine.

Maybe it also has to do with how well your local TWC area network is run and if local people have a clue what they are doing, or even care? Not sure.
phildaant likes this.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #18813 of 18826 Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
@BMX - I know you are pretty experienced and have probably checked this - but how are your upstream power levels from your STB?

I haven't had problems like than in ages (though I am using a tuning adapter, but if anything that is worse).

xnappo
post #18814 of 18826 Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Unlike many others here, I have never had any recording reliability or SDV issues here, and that's with ~70 series set up on my 8640HDC (or SMT-3090 before that). Other than one very specific issue years ago here in Charlotte with the 3090 refusing to record our local FOX affiliate, my TWC DVRs have been absolutely rock solid reliable in series recording.

However, I am seeing the same A/V dropouts and the not honoring the "start on previous channel" setting. The dropouts have been an on and off problem across several ODN versions (mostly "off" for the last few versions before 7.2.0_11), but the startup channel issue had never occurred here prior to 7.2.0_11. If you haven't discovered this already, the dropout issue can be "fixed" for the remainder of the current viewing session by a simple power cycle of the box (not a "pull the plug" reboot... just using the remote toggle the power off and back on again.)
I am told the next update fixes the oocasional reset to Channel 1 issue. One guy with an Cisco 8742 reports drop-outs on like a word or two. But when played back in the buffer, it works fine. He is in Nebraska with ODN 7.2. The other elements of the DVR work great, he says. He also says that his division never got the new search features and I guess not the new DVR Manager list that others have. His SA-8300HDC worked fine for years before dying out. We are trying to help him decide to roll back to a previous model DVR, or wait for ODN 7.3. Oh he had line and signal tests done. Everything checked out there. You can follow along here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r295...-TWC-Nebraska-

Satch
phildaant likes this.

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.2.11
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #18815 of 18826 Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

There was also a listing glitch in Navigator a few weeks ago where Football Games in the Search results would display the names of the teams first, followed by who is playing. The SA-8300HDC now has an issue where although it appears the Football teams are listed first, followed by the description in the Search, some (not all) Sports information in the search is truncated. This is notably true for ESPN Classic, especially for Boxing Matches. In B search results, notably on that channel, only the date of the fights are shown. The Time Grid seems to show complete information. Follow along with this topic here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r295...SA-8300HDC-Box

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #18816 of 18826 Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
I am told the next update fixes the oocasional reset to Channel 1 issue. One guy with an Cisco 8742 reports drop-outs on like a word or two. But when played back in the buffer, it works fine. He is in Nebraska with ODN 7.2. The other elements of the DVR work great, he says. He also says that his division never got the new search features and I guess not the new DVR Manager list that others have. His SA-8300HDC worked fine for years before dying out. We are trying to help him decide to roll back to a previous model DVR, or wait for ODN 7.3. Oh he had line and signal tests done. Everything checked out there. You can follow along here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r295...-TWC-Nebraska-

Satch
I haven't seen my Arris DCX3510 go to channel 1 for a while. Hmm!
post #18817 of 18826 Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 AM
BWX

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
@BMX - I know you are pretty experienced and have probably checked this - but how are your upstream power levels from your STB?

I haven't had problems like than in ages (though I am using a tuning adapter, but if anything that is worse).

xnappo
Really good, that's the problem. if they were bad at least I could point at that as possible problem.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #18818 of 18826 Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got 2 new devices on the way - Sony DVD (BDP-S5200) and Samsung TV (P64F8500).

Anyone know off hand what codes I need to reprogram the standard remote that comes with the TWC SA-8300HDC DVR ?
post #18819 of 18826 Old 10-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Go here and choose the remote you have with the DVR. Name/number on back usually. Codes are probably the same with each one but the details for programming are included.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/se...te+programming

/Dan
MikeD2 likes this.
post #18820 of 18826 Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The SA-8300 DVR's Once Had a Multi-Room Model? (SA-8300MR)

Guys,

I was just over at Charter's forum, which Wisconsin will become if the TWC/Comcast deal is approved, and some were saying that the SA-8300 was the most reliable box they ever had over the newer Cisco's.

I did not know this, but SA has (or had an SA-8300MR) DVR. Here's a link to the PDF file about it? Did TWC ever relase this MR box anywhere? I don't know if it is an SA-8300HD(MR) or SA-8300HDC (MR.) The PDF file talks about the ability to add an extra optional hard drive, something that the cable companies are relunctant to talk about. They can't be talking about an SA-8300HD (no C) for multi-room can they in the link below? At least from the ODN Navigator Guide on TWC, I thought Multi-Room had to be ODN.

I do know a lot of subs said that if the non-C MDN's would still be in the field, could do expanded storage, that it would have been their favorite box.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/pro...cd806c6913.pdf

Satch

post #18821 of 18826 Old 10-18-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
I did not know this, but SA has (or had an SA-8300MR) DVR. Here's a link to the PDF file about it? Did TWC ever relase this MR box anywhere?
They had it out in some trade trials - mostly (I think) at Brighthouse in Florida. There was some discussion about it at the AVS ages ago. They apparently backed out of wide deployment while the MOCA standards were developed.

Quote:
I don't know if it is an SA-8300HD(MR) or SA-8300HDC (MR.)
Just the Non-C.

Quote:
The PDF file talks about the ability to add an extra optional hard drive, something that the cable companies are relunctant to talk about.
Sure, there are lots of those around. See folks talking about that here even these days
Quote:
They can't be talking about an SA-8300HD (no C) for multi-room can they in the link below?
They sure were!

Quote:
At least from the ODN Navigator Guide on TWC, I thought Multi-Room had to be ODN.
The newer ODN boxes use MoCA, as opposed to the old tech that the SA8300HDMRs used.

PS: Remember, those boxes were SARA!

Dave Hancock

Last edited by davehancock; 10-18-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Add PS
post #18822 of 18826 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone noticed lately that the DVR responses to the remote is very slow? Sometimes takes 2-3 seconds for a response in the guide or list. Just came back from vacation, and it wasn't like that before. Did they do an update of some kind?
phildaant likes this.
post #18823 of 18826 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
Has anyone noticed lately that the DVR responses to the remote is very slow? Sometimes takes 2-3 seconds for a response in the guide or list. Just came back from vacation, and it wasn't like that before. Did they do an update of some kind?
Did you try power cycling? I have seen this happened before with old boxes, with iGuide. Power cycling fixes it.
post #18824 of 18826 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Did you try power cycling? I have seen this happened before with old boxes, with iGuide. Power cycling fixes it.
I did a reboot and now it seems better. Thanks.
phildaant likes this.
post #18825 of 18826 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
I did a reboot and now it seems better. Thanks.
Good. When you have electronic issues, always try power cycling.
post #18826 of 18826 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock
PS: Remember, those boxes were SARA!

Yes and they were MUCH MUCH BETTER!!

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List