Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 634 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #18991 of 19005 Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the new box cost more to rent? My dad recently got a new box and he said they charge 3 or 4 dollars more for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Guys,

I just had my rusty crusty SA-8300HDC box replaced by an AWESOME tech, who gave us a new Cisco 8742. But at first, for like about an hour the Advanced Search was not available and the thing would not stop rebooting every 10 minutes and took forever to get updates.

I had to do a cold reboot followed by another unexpected boot up. Finally, the box is stable and has been OK for the past two hours. The cloud advanced search came on. I still have a tentative appointment to check out the line and signals tomorrow morning, unless the box behaves great for the next twelve hours or so.

I love the speed of the box. The new advanced search is amazing! One critique I have is that when you go to schedule a show for the DVR, there is no little icon indicator where you are in the navigation process. The colors for Record Show vs. Record Series are not definitive. The VOD cover art is very cool, and I love seeing the box guide in HD for the first time.

I said to the tech, "I love TWC services, but you really need to purge those SA boxes." He laughed and said, "I know, we are trying to get rid of them." I said, "You got a box made after 1990?" He laughed and said, "I can give you one from 1989!!!" hahahaha He check the build date of my four year old SA-8300HDC, and said "2005. I thought that the HDC's weren't made until 2007. Maybe he was joking.

Love the 500GB hard drive.

Satch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18992 of 19005 Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by crony View Post
Does the new box cost more to rent? My dad recently got a new box and he said they charge 3 or 4 dollars more for it.
Greetings,

The six tuner DVR's are the newest and there is an added monthly charge for them, not for others. Only if you add services to your account would a charge apply. If you have a problem with your cable box or service for a tech to come out and swap the box, there is no charge. Or you can take the box into a TWC local office and swap it out, Also no charge. But, be aware that office inventory changes daily. No charge there as well. If you have no problem with your box or cable, and you have a tech come out for a swap, a service charge of $40 for the truck roll may apply.

I don't have the newest. But any box that is NOT an SA-model and you are in a division with the Black Navigator Guide, should have the Widescreen HD Guide, the new VOD portal, and DVR Management screen. The keyboard search, searches for more types of information now.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Cisco 8742HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #18993 of 19005 Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
I was given a procedure a couple years back here in Greensboro NC that enabled me to back up and restore the series manager settings on my Samsung SMT3272 DVRs. I seem to have misplaced this procedure. Is there someone who knows what I am talking about and can provide it to me?

Bear in mind it only backs up and restores the series manager settings. It does not do anything for recorded programs.

Thank you
I copied the below from a post on forums.timewarnercable.com. I never used it myself. YMMV.

Try this if you have ODN --
1) on your remote, hold the OK/Select button until you see a flashing light on the front of your box. The flashing light may look like an envelope. When you see this flash, release the OK/Select button and press the Exit button.
2) Then, press the settings button on your remote. It should default to "Quick Settings". Press the left arrow button once, which should bring you to "Field Tools"
3) Scroll down to the "Save Settings" option and press OK. Write down the numbers it gives you. This should save all series information to the server (series only. not actual recorded shows).
4) On your new cable box, repeat steps 1 & 2. Once you are back at Field Tools, scroll down to "Restore Settings" and input the numbers you wrote down from the old box.
phildaant likes this.
post #18994 of 19005 Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchervit View Post
I copied the below from a post on forums.timewarnercable.com. I never used it myself. YMMV.

1) on your remote, hold the OK/Select button until you see a flashing light on the front of your box. The flashing light may look like an envelope. When you see this flash, release the OK/Select button and press the Exit button.
2) Then, press the settings button on your remote. It should default to "Quick Settings". Press the left arrow button once, which should bring you to "Field Tools"
3) Scroll down to the "Save Settings" option and press OK. Write down the numbers it gives you. This should save all series information to the server (series only. not actual recorded shows).
4) On your new cable box, repeat steps 1 & 2. Once you are back at Field Tools, scroll down to "Restore Settings" and input the numbers you wrote down from the old box.
Please copy and paste the URL to that TWC's forum thread?
post #18995 of 19005 Old 05-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Please copy and paste the URL to that TWC's forum thread?
here you go...
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...ght/true#M3963
phildaant likes this.
post #18996 of 19005 Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man
I don't have the newest. But any box that is NOT an SA-model and you are in a division with the Black Navigator Guide, should have the Widescreen HD Guide, the new VOD portal, and DVR Management screen. The keyboard search, searches for more types of information now.

All I know is I WOULD LOVE GETTING SARA BACK ON MY 3250!!!!!

Back when they first did this I READ SOME LADY HATED IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much and she got them to put sara back on her box!!

SO I KNOW THEY CAN IF THEY WANT TO!!!!!!!
post #18997 of 19005 Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchervit View Post

Thanks that's the procedure I remember now, but unfortunately I just tried it and it no longer works. I can't seem to get the "Field Tools" menu to come up.

ncmikey
TWC Signature Home 2-SMT3272 DVR, ODN 7.3.1_5
post #18998 of 19005 Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Since it was posted ON TIME WARNERS SITE,im not surprised it doesnt work anymore!!
post #18999 of 19005 Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Good stuff!

Ohio divisions, many are a mess with congested nodes and former Insight areas, where TWC never cleaned up the mess in those divisions when they took over.

Satch
In our market, we were Viacom (Continental in most of the suburbs), then TCI, then TWC. At some point (a bazillion years ago when cable was still locally-regulated, or regulated at all), I remember them upgrading the entire system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post
Nony, I've tried that six ways to Sunday: Settings, A/B/C with STB off and on. It has never responded to any input when it's powered down. Also tried various combos of Select/Exit directly on the STB. Do you have to stand on one foot, or is it possible that my division has defeated access to HW/FW settings? I have Select/Up and Select/Down diagnostics available, but I've never run across the ability to change anything other than to perform a soft boot or do a purge.

ODN 7.3.1_6, Cisco 8742HDC, Dayton Ohio
post #19000 of 19005 Old 05-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
possible that my division has defeated access to HW/FW settings? I have Select/Up and Select/Down diagnostics available, but I've never run across the ability to change anything other than to perform a soft boot or do a purge.
There are two variants to the procedure-

Variant 1: With the STB powered on, press:
A, B, C, Settings, Power, Power, Settings, Left

Variant 2: With the STB powered on, press and hold Select until the message indicator flashes, then press Exit, Settings, Left

-nony
post #19001 of 19005 Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post
There are two variants to the procedure-

Variant 1: With the STB powered on, press:
A, B, C, Settings, Power, Power, Settings, Left

Variant 2: With the STB powered on, press and hold Select until the message indicator flashes, then press Exit, Settings, Left

-nony
Variant 2 worked for my Nony, thanks! But it had no effect. Do I additionally need to do a Reload Catalog or something?

ODN 7.3.1_6, Cisco 8742HDC, Dayton Ohio
post #19002 of 19005 Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
Variant 2 worked for my Nony, thanks! But it had no effect. Do I additionally need to do a Reload Catalog or something?
If you select -
Always use SD catalog and it's not already loaded you should see a 'loading please wait..' message. This should force all live tv channel mappings to point to SD content sources, if available, while allowing HD-only channels to also map.

If your Output Resolution is set for 480i-only, the HD-only channels will be downscaled to 480i. If your Output Resolution is set for 1080i, the SD channels will be upscaled and letter-boxed to 1080i., while the the HD-only channels will be passed at their native 1080i.

The same mapping logic holds true with the Always use HD catalog.

-nony
post #19003 of 19005 Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ODN v7.3.2_16 is in testing in San Diego, and should be released soon. It sounds like a big patch update.
phildaant likes this.
post #19004 of 19005 Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post
ODN v7.3.2_16 is in testing in San Diego, and should be released soon. It sounds like a big patch update.
Do we know what is in it?
post #19005 of 19005 Old Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
TWC Untangled says the next big update for the Navigator Guide will be this fall:

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2015...-screen-guide/

Wonder what we will get. They said,"It is based on customer feedback for the last nineteen months:

Satch

Cisco 8742HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page