Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #19081 of 19103 Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Exactly Ant!

It's not like we are asking for an unreasonable thing. We just want the search systems to find the requested information on the boxes, just like any other search platform. This isn't even a feature request, it's fixing a bug.

Satch
Yep. We are trying to help TWC to become better. I guess they care not hence why they want to be sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 19103 Old 08-09-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Live Boxing Shows Missing and Vanishing From Set Top Box Advanced Search Keyboard:

This is an on-going bug going on with the advanced search set top box keyboard in which I have asked TWC to send a bug report. Live Boxing Shows are vanishing from the keyboard search when boxing is typed on the keyboard and "Boxing Event" is selected. When this happens, note the following:

1.) When keying 'Boxing on the Advanced STB keyboard and Selecting the Boxing Event Folder, the Correct Result shows two folders. BOTH FOLDERS NEED TO SAY BOXING AND NOTHING ELSE, FOR THE DATA TO BE CORRECT. The top folder shows all the live boxing shows on broadcast TV, standard cable, premium cable, and PPV for the next 7-14 days. This result should always be there. The top folder shows live data. The bottom folder NEVER shows live data, only VOD content.

2.) Most of the time, when keying in "Boxing" on the keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" only one folder will show that contains only VOD content. The top folder labeled "Boxing" will be incorrectly replaced with a boxing match that is several weeks to a month old, maybe more than that. Sometimes a folder that says "Premier Boxing Champions" will simply show old fights when selected, replacing the top "Live" boxing folder, When this happens, it is not possible to search for live boxing shows using the Advanced STB keyboard. One must either use the Time Grid, or select another guide option such as TWC TV.com or an on-line guide. The advanced search keyboard on the STB cannot be trusted to show live show boxing data all the time.

3.) A pattern to this bug seems to be that at the beginning of the week, when keying in "Boxing" on the advanced search keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" the correct two tier folder structure will be there. The top folder correctly shows all live boxing data for at least the next week. The bottom folder shows VOD content. For this example assume this begins on a Sunday, with the correct data. By Tuesday or Wednesday, the incorrect data back. The live boxing folder is incorrectly replaced with an old boxing match. It than takes about three days of the data being incorrect. By the following Sunday or Monday, the correct data shows with the two-tier folder structure in place. However, the correct two-tier Boxing Folder data does not "hold." By the middle of the week, the correct two-tier folder, when searching for Boxing on the keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" is gone again.

4.) Note that Wisconsin does not have the latest ODN build where the "B" search returns all instances of a selected show. I have submitted feedback about this issue to TWC's Direct Forum and have also asked them to forward this information to our local Wisconsin division.

5.) What do you think is causing this data to not hold? Is this a TWC issue or a Tribune Media Services Listing issue? I wonder if this has been fixed in the latest ODN B button show all title searches.

6.) This bug has occurred for me on both Arris and Cisco set tops. I never had this problem with the old SA model box search system.

Discussion here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301...anced-Keyboard

Satch
More Feedback,

Today, Sunday, August 9. 2015 when typing in Boxing and Selecting Boxing-Event we have the correct two-tier folder structure of live boxing shows in the top folder and VOD boxing shows on the bottom.

Submit this as a benchmark for testing. The problem is now making that live top folder hold 24/7 so that it is not replaced sometime between tomorrow through the end of this coming week with another old fight outside the folder, or the "Premier Boxing Champions" folder containing old fights. Correct data search must only show the following conditions:

1.) Key "Boxing" on Keyboard. Select "Boxing Event."
2.) Top Folder says, "Boxing" nothing else. Top folder contains live boxing matches.
3.) Bottom folder says "Boxing" and contains VOD matches.

Note that even if a live PPV boxing match is forthcoming it should be in that top folder. (The next boxing PPV is September 12th: Mayweather vs. Berto, keep this in mind when evaluating this bug.) When the top folder is gone, ALL live boxing data vanishes from the boxing search along with it!

In a future software update, perhaps you could show a forthcoming PPV boxing match separate from the two-tier folder structure. However, that might be confusing. The purpose of folders is to consolidate the data into a logical place. When the two-tier folder results work correctly, with live Boxing in the top boxing folder, and VOD in the lower boxing folder when selecting Boxing-Event, the data is much easier to navigate.

In a nutshell what this means is when searching for Boxing through the keying of Boxing and selecting Boxing-Event in the search result, as long as you can see the two "Boxing" folders in the tier, everything should be OK.

Regards,

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Last edited by Satch Man; 08-09-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #19083 of 19103 Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

More feedback based on my own testing,

I ran my own test on the two-tier folder structure in keying in Boxing and Selecting Boxing Event:
Last Saturday, we had the top folder of the live boxing shows gone and replaced with various old boxing matches. Bottom folder is always there no matter what and shows VOD boxing content.

From Sunday to Monday the correct two-tiered boxing folder comes back. By Tuesday the correct two-tier folder structure is gone. Top folder is replaced with an old boxing match or" Premier Boxing Champions" folder containing old fights. This incorrect data structure exists until the following Sunday when the correct two-tier folder structure returns and the cycle repeats itself. (Top "Boxing" folder with Live boxing show data in keyboard search results on Sunday and Monday,gone by Tuesday, correctly returning, but not till the following Sunday.) From Tuesday through Saturday, it is impossible to find live boxing show data using the Advanced Search keyboard on the set-top box.

When this incorrect data structure was in effect for the live boxing shows, (Today, Tuesday we had the Premier Boxing Champions folder replacing the live "Boxing" folder,) I keyed in another Sport, Tennis, and selected a Tennis-Event. Selecting Tennis-Event shows the correct two-tier folder structure even though we are only getting live boxing data two days out of seven! Embarrassing that I can only program live boxing shows from the STB on a Monday or Tuesday, because the live data is gone all other days!

I can conclude that the live boxing show data reappearing than vanishing, than reappearing and vanishing, is not an issue for other sports data, such as Tennis. Hopefully, by knowing the days that this data is correct and not correct for the Boxing/Live Boxing-Event data structure, might help produce a bug fix.

I hate having to use other sources to find live boxing shows because of the inconvenience associated with this advanced keyboard search bug! This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

Satch

post #19084 of 19103 Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant
Yep. We are trying to help TWC to become better. I guess they care not hence why they want to be sold.

Maybe if they ARE SOLD,good things will happen!! (Sara coming back,etc)
post #19085 of 19103 Old 08-11-2015, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Does Charter even have Sara? :P
post #19086 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Does Charter even have Sara? :P
Be careful what you wish for. I'm a subscriber of both TWC (Charlotte) and Charter (NC beach area). The guide/GUI that Charter uses is an abomination and a huge step backwards from Navigator:

• Low-res 4:3 graphics (Like SARA, appears to have originated on a Commodore 64)
  • Only 1.5 hour window in listing grid
  • Ads in the channel listings that you have to scroll through when you scroll up/down through channels
  • Non-customizable lineup (e.g., no option to list favorites only or subscribed only or HD only). This is the one that is the real killer to me.
  • Limited options for setting output resolution(s). You essentially pick one output resolution that you're stuck with. No option to output native source resolutions or selectively enable/disable specific resolutions as you can with Navigator.
  • Limited options for zoom/stretch... in particular you can't set a default action with temporary overrides as you can in Navigator. What you set it for sticks for all channels until you manually change it again.
  • Again, like SARA, it has customizable color schemes, but they range from barely tolerable to downright fugly

Although it's just about as fugly as SARA (maybe not quite THAT bad), the Charter guide is not SARA. I actually have no idea what it is... it has no branding other than Charter's generic "Spectrum" label. SARA is specific to Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco) boxes... the Charter box is an Arris (Motorola) DCX-3220eHD (which has no front panel clock and a WAY too bright blue pilot lamp.
phildaant likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6

Last edited by jcalabria; 08-12-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #19087 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Be careful what you wish for. I'm a subscriber of both TWC (Charlotte) and Charter (NC beach area). The guide/GUI that Charter uses is an abomination and a huge step backwards from Navigator:

• Low-res 4:3 graphics (Like SARA, appears to have originated on a Commodore 64)
  • Only 1.5 hour window in listings
  • Ads in the channel listings that you have to scroll through when you scroll up/down through channels
  • Non-customizable lineup (e.g., no option to list favorites only or subscribed only or HD only). This is the one that is the real killer to me.
  • Limited options for setting output resolution(s). You essentially pick one output resolution that you're stuck with. No option to output native source resolutions or selectively enable/disable specific resolutions as you can with Navigator.
  • Limited options for zoom/stretch... in particular you can't set a default action with temporary overrides as you can in Navigator. What you set it for sticks for all channels until you manually change it again.
  • Again, like SARA, it has customizable color schemes, but they range from barely tolerable to downright fugly

Although it's just about as fugly as SARA (maybe not quite THAT bad), the Charter guide is not SARA. I actually have no idea what it is... it has no branding other than Charter's generic "Spectrum" label. SARA is specific to Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco) boxes... the Charter box is an Arris (Motorola) DCX-3220eHD (which has no front panel clock and a WAY too bright blue pilot lamp.
So, it is like old iGuide?
post #19088 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, it is like old iGuide?
It may in fact be iGuide... there's no branding on the GUI other than "Spectrum", which is Charter's generic umbrella for all of their services... and I've never personally seen or used iGuide anywhere before (only SARA, Passport, Navigator and FiOS). Whatever it is, it's awful and would be a huge step backwards from Navigator. I know other regions have had their issues with Navigator, but it has been rock steady reliable for me here in Charlotte for years now. All discussion in the Charlotte TWC forum here on AVS has been about internet services for years... rarely any complaints or discussion about Navigator.
phildaant likes this.

post #19089 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

• Only 1.5 hour window in listing grid

I wonder why Charter has not updated that guide?

Sounds like it's been that way for years! I hope that Charter updates all of their dated head-ends up to Navigator advanced set top Gateway standards, (or better with time.) In today's HD high tech world, which is assumed, Charter would be hopefully smart enough not to downgrade to that 4x3 GUI and such prehistoric features. Maybe there are head-end and node issues at that beach area, and there are problems updating the technology in that regard?

I-Guide needs to be updated to Navigator/Spectrum levels on the modern boxes. SARA looks too ugly for modern times and would not be compatible with today's technology concerning updates.

JC, did you know Charter has it's own forum? You should ask about that poor guide at your beach place and any updates planned for it. Here is Charter's forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/char...47822141378644

Satch

post #19090 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I wonder why Charter has not updated that guide?

Sounds like it's been that way for years! I hope that Charter updates all of their dated head-ends up to Navigator advanced set top Gateway standards, (or better with time.) In today's HD high tech world, which is assumed, Charter would be hopefully smart enough not to downgrade to that 4x3 GUI and such prehistoric features. Maybe there are head-end and node issues at that beach area, and there are problems updating the technology in that regard?

I-Guide needs to be updated to Navigator/Spectrum levels on the modern boxes. SARA looks too ugly for modern times and would not be compatible with today's technology concerning updates.

JC, did you know Charter has it's own forum? You should ask about that poor guide at your beach place and any updates planned for it. Here is Charter's forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/char...47822141378644

Satch
A lot of TWC boxes still have the 4x3 guide, even the newer black boxes. The average person doesn't seem to know that there is a setting that will give them 16x9.
post #19091 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
A lot of TWC boxes still have the 4x3 guide, even the newer black boxes. The average person doesn't seem to know that there is a setting that will give them 16x9.
Yes,

I understand that on the ADG boxes that support the HD guide, the 16x9 setting is enabled by default. This can be changed in Settings to 4x3 for those with SD sets, or smaller screens that can't read the HD guide fonts.

Satch

post #19092 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Charter has a new Spectrum guide that it is rolling out to some of its markets this year. On their earnings call last week they stated that TWC markets would receive the new Spectrum guide.

Note that even their new Spectrum guide does NOT support multi-room viewing.

https://www.myaccount.charter.com/cu...articleid=3372

From the earnings release.

"In the coming months, Charter will introduce its new cloud-based user interface, Spectrum Guide, to its video customers in certain markets. Spectrum Guide makes video content search and discovery easier for customers, and fully enables Charter's on-demand offering. In addition, Spectrum Guide will function on nearly all of Charter's deployed set-tops. Charter is also poised to launch its new set-top box, World Box, which features downloadable security along with other advanced functionality, driving an enhanced customer experience and reducing incremental set-top box costs."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300123195.html
post #19093 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
That SPECTRUM GUIDE sounds like crap also!!!! (With ads in the channel guide??)

No .... Im sorry guys.... THE LAST GOOD SOFTWARE WAS SARA.... It is basic and LETS YOU WATCH TV!! (W/o all the garbage)

I absolutely LOVE sara......
post #19094 of 19103 Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. I'm a subscriber of both TWC (Charlotte) and Charter (NC beach area). The guide/GUI that Charter uses is an abomination and a huge step backwards from Navigator .... snip ....
I may catch some flak for this, but I think Navigator would be miles ahead if only TWC bought STBs with better performance, especially more memory and flash storage (cheap future proofing).

Furthermore, they could arrange a 'customer owned' STB option by helping us purchase off of an approved device list like Internet modems. Customers could also purchase a reputable warranty like SquareTrade offers. Good for TWC's bottom line, should be cheaper (TWC volume discount) and better for the customer.

I hope that Charter, if successful, will think 'out of the box' as they will have to finance a huge leveraged buyout mostly on the customers backs.

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR) ODN v7.3.2_20
post #19095 of 19103 Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
I may catch some flak for this, but I think Navigator would be miles ahead if only TWC bought STBs with better performance, especially more memory and flash storage (cheap future proofing).

Furthermore, they could arrange a 'customer owned' STB option by helping us purchase off of an approved device list like Internet modems. Customers could also purchase a reputable warranty like SquareTrade offers. Good for TWC's bottom line, should be cheaper (TWC volume discount) and better for the customer.

I hope that Charter, if successful, will think 'out of the box' as they will have to finance a huge leveraged buyout mostly on the customers backs.
The Charter forum is asking about the Spectrum Guide for DVR's that is cloud based. They say Charter claims it is in testing, and many think they are still several years away from the cloud guide going to DVR's. I hope it's better than TWC's advanced search keyboard. Why is that thing so unreliable? You have data that does not show, or is wrong, or there one day and gone the next.

Satch

post #19096 of 19103 Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

This is an easier to follow list of the steps involved in reproducing this data bug, it's frequency, and its duration:

Live Boxing Show Top Folder Vanishes From Advanced STB Keyboard from the results of a Boxing keyboard search and a Boxing-Event list selection: (Steps to Test.)

1.) Search for Boxing on any advanced set top keyboard. (i,e non-SA model)

2.) Scroll to the Boxing-Event Result.

3.) Correct result needs to show a two tier folder structure, with two folders labeled "Boxing." The top folder shows live boxing data. The bottom folder shows VOD data never live.

4.) The top folder with the live data must be there at all times and is not.

5.) Tests show the top folder with live boxing shows is present on Sunday through Monday.

6.) From Tuesday through Saturday the top live boxing folder vanishes and is incorrectly replaced with a folder called "Premier Boxing Champions" containing fights that are several weeks, to months old, if not more, or a very old fight will be at the top of the search results screen, instead of the Live Folder.

7.) Customers have to wait until Sunday of the following week for the correct two-tier "Boxing" folder result to reappear, only to have that top live folder gone by Tuesday and they have to wait till Sunday for the correct two tier folder to reappear when selecting "Boxing Event" on the STB advanced keyboard.

8.) The only times the correct two-tier folder structure is present when keying in boxing on the Advanced STB keyboard, and selecting Boxing event is Sunday and Monday. Customers cannot schedule any live boxing shows using the STB keyboard from Tuesday through Saturday because the top live Boxing folder, when keying in Boxing and selecting Boxing event is not available from the keyboard during that Tuesday through Saturday five day range.

9.) There is no problem with the above data when searching on such devices as TWCTV.com. But from Tuesday through Saturday, customers can only use the STB Time Grid to find live boxing shows The keyboard cloud data, with the correct result for keying in Boxing, and selecting "Boxing Event", only shows the correct two "Boxing" folders on Sunday and Monday.

10.) In a nutshell, the keyboard data required two-tier folder structure when keying in "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing-Event" for live boxing shows is not holding 24/7.

This consolidated list should make testing easier for the techs to follow.

Satch

Last edited by Satch Man; 08-13-2015 at 07:49 PM.
post #19097 of 19103 Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Did you guys tell TWC about it? Maybe if they get enough complaints, then they will have to fix it.

Also, my DVR's search works again. I wonder WTFrak happened last night!
The issue I was having seemed to spontaneously resolve. As far as posting to the TWC forum, I see NO responses (even idiotic ones) from TWC flaks, so I'm not going to waste my time there.
phildaant likes this.

ODN 7.3.1_6, Cisco 8742HDC, Dayton Ohio
post #19098 of 19103 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Question An amber alert!

This is a first to me. As of a few minutes after turning on my cable DVR, I saw a top screen's red scrolling banner saying "Civil Authorities issued a Child Abuduction for the following counties: ..." It stayed up for a few minutes. How does one manually disable or make it go away?

Thank you in advance.
post #19099 of 19103 Old Today, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
This is a first to me. As of a few minutes after turning on my cable DVR, I saw a top screen's red scrolling banner saying "Civil Authorities issued a Child Abuduction for the following counties: ..." It stayed up for a few minutes. How does one manually disable or make it go away?

Thank you in advance.
You don't. I think Time Warner is obligated to display those warnings. Fortunately, they don't happen very often (at least not here in northeast Ohio.
phildaant likes this.
post #19100 of 19103 Old Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpjs View Post
You don't. I think Time Warner is obligated to display those warnings. Fortunately, they don't happen very often (at least not here in northeast Ohio.
Thanks.
post #19101 of 19103 Old Today, 12:27 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
You can't. I complained to TWC Corporate that not only was the audio incomprehendable, but their web site should provide links to the local agency that distributes these warnings; presumably more details would be available there. There are many other local warning scenarios than just Amber Alerts.

Corporate responded with "our technical people will look into it". Riiiight.
phildaant likes this.

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR) ODN v7.3.2_20
post #19102 of 19103 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
At least TWC boxes honor the expiration time set by the emergency broadcaster. My WMC setups do not honor the expiration and will continue to show the messages until you reboot the PC. Exiting and restarting WMC will not clear it. Even if you reboot, if you do it before the message rebroadcast period is over, it will start up again after the next rebroadcast. It's a well known WMC bug that will likely never be fixed, and one of the real PITA aspects of WMC.
phildaant likes this.

post #19103 of 19103 Old Today, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed Arris DCX3510M DVR's series options are different due to an overnight upgrade (ODN v7.3.2_22 2015/07/23 15:03). However, the new menu is slow and uhh buggy (my old series settings show record this new episode only, but yet schedule show repeating future new episodes?). Is anyone seeing this too? And yes, I already power cycled it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders