Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 639 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #19141 of 19164 Old 10-10-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Actually, I have a Samsung HU8550 4k tv. It does my upscaling, so I was wondering if it helped to avoid the interlacing of 1080i.
All HD tvs are "P" so any "I" content will be converted to progressive if it's not already progressive. The TWC cable boxes can output 720p but only 1080i.

All the worrying about dvr output is like having a car that is advertised as being able to do 225 mph and you can't seem to get yours above 220. If you are riding in the car you can't tell the 5 mph difference.

Pretty much anything you feed that Samsung will look better than 99% of everything out there. Try 720p and then try 1080i and pick whichever looks more pleasing to you.
jacko15 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19142 of 19164 Old 10-31-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cisco 9865HDC

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to format for factory reset the Cisco 9865HDC if it wont boot. It has been stuck for about 5 hours with PEnd on the display. It has an update that just never seems to start downloading. I can take a picture of the Cisco screen if necessary.
post #19143 of 19164 Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiiide View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to format for factory reset the Cisco 9865HDC if it wont boot. It has been stuck for about 5 hours with PEnd on the display. It has an update that just never seems to start downloading. I can take a picture of the Cisco screen if necessary.
Call TWC and have them do a remote reset.

Dave Hancock
post #19144 of 19164 Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've already done that. They are simply rebooting it. I'm actually a TWC employee and I know what needs to be done but nobody seems to know how to do it and I cant really access my own equipment....figured I would check here to see if anyone knew how to format it....just trying to avoid having to go swap it out again.
post #19145 of 19164 Old 10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiiide View Post
I've already done that. They are simply rebooting it. I'm actually a TWC employee and I know what needs to be done but nobody seems to know how to do it and I cant really access my own equipment....figured I would check here to see if anyone knew how to format it....just trying to avoid having to go swap it out again.
One of the reasons that I switched to FiOS (but they have their share of problems too). I keep up with the TWC stuff, thinking I might change back. Bu the last time my Verizon contract was up, TWC did not seem interested in getting me back (their price was about $10/month higher for the equivalent service + they wouldn't give me an e-mail confirming my EXACT "deal").

Dave Hancock
post #19146 of 19164 Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiiide

Its good to have you here!!!!!

Is there anyway possible buddy to TRY AND BE NICE and call them and have SARA put back on my box??

I read years ago when they first did this SOME LADY complained so much about Navigator they put SARA back on her box..... I WOULD LOVE GETTING SARA BACK.... I HAVE HAD MY IRD OFFLINE FOR YEARS!!! (My tiers expired and I was just so disgusted I didnt bother getting them updated)

PLEASE IF YOU CAN OFFER ME SOME GOOD ADVICE,PLEASE DO SO...... No one in time warner knows WHO YOU ARE so dont be afraid to answer me... (If you would rather PM ME,please do so)

Thank you Darksiiide,its good to have you with us!!
post #19147 of 19164 Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I've been with twc now for about 1month, have the cisco 9865.

The first 22 days when I ff/pause/or rewind there was no scroll bar
at the bottom of screen and it was nice to see the full picture when
ff/pausing or rewinding .......

Now for some reason I get a huge scroll bar at bottom of screen taking
up 1/5 of the screen ! NOT good.......
Wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of that scroll bar at the bottom
like it was for the first 22 days !
thanks for any replies

edit :just to update :
read on twc forum using the exit key will get rid of the scroll bar
temporarily... , which is good to know.......

still would be nice to be able to get rid of it completely ...

Last edited by JoeNc; 11-02-2015 at 06:17 PM.
post #19148 of 19164 Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
I've been with twc now for about 1month, have the cisco 9865.

The first 22 days when I ff/pause/or rewind there was no scroll bar
at the bottom of screen and it was nice to see the full picture when
ff/pausing or rewinding .......

Now for some reason I get a huge scroll bar at bottom of screen taking
up 1/5 of the screen ! NOT good.......
Wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of that scroll bar at the bottom
like it was for the first 22 days !
thanks for any replies

edit :just to update :
read on twc forum using the exit key will get rid of the scroll bar
temporarily... , which is good to know.......

still would be nice to be able to get rid of it completely ...
Hi Joe,

It sounds like your Channel Bar is the right size and in the right place. TWC designed the boxes intentionally showing the Channel Bar when changing channels or using DVR functions. The reason why they did not remove the channel banner bar completely, is because they don't want customers to see a paused picture with no bar, and than think that there is a video problem. You can always press Exit on the remote at any time to clear all on-screen graphics. Hope this helps!

Satch
phildaant and JoeNc like this.

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Last edited by Satch Man; 11-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #19149 of 19164 Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Hey Satch , thanks for the info............ I'm ok about using the exit
button to get rid of the channel bar, but I thought it was strange that I didn't
have a channel bar for 22 days... so , it would seem like it could be turned on/off
completely in some deeper setting like service menu ............

Are you the same Satch that helps and supports thousands of people on twc forums ?
Just noticed that Satch on Twc is everywhere........ heheheh
phildaant likes this.
post #19150 of 19164 Old 11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
Hey Satch , thanks for the info............ I'm ok about using the exit
button to get rid of the channel bar, but I thought it was strange that I didn't
have a channel bar for 22 days... so , it would seem like it could be turned on/off
completely in some deeper setting like service menu ............

Are you the same Satch that helps and supports thousands of people on twc forums ?
Just noticed that Satch on Twc is everywhere........ heheheh
I am that Satch! LOL!

Thanks for the compliment!

Satch
chuckf1 and phildaant like this.

post #19151 of 19164 Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Satch Man: Giving more actual TWC Navigator support than the entire TWC staff since 2007.

phildaant likes this.
post #19152 of 19164 Old 11-14-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Satch Man: Giving more actual TWC Navigator support than the entire TWC staff since 2007.

Awesome Compliment!

Thank you Xnappo and Ant!

Satch

PS. Maybe I should make that above quote my signature line! hahaha!
xnappo and phildaant like this.

post #19153 of 19164 Old 01-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody else on the trial with new box last year? Last week I got a software update and it looks like we reverted to the old software. It is a huge step backwards. Plus it is not fully compatible with my remote. I called TWC last week and they didn't really know what was going on and recommended that I swap the box.

I waited instead and my wife called again today. She said they told her that they discontinued the new software because there were too many issues with it. (That was not our experience at all - the new software was much less buggy than the old software.)

I'd just like to confirm if anyone else has had the same experience with the "new" (over a year old at this point) Arris 6-tuner boxes or if we just keep getting CSRs who don't know what is going on.
post #19154 of 19164 Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdec View Post
Anybody else on the trial with new box last year? Last week I got a software update and it looks like we reverted to the old software. It is a huge step backwards. Plus it is not fully compatible with my remote. I called TWC last week and they didn't really know what was going on and recommended that I swap the box.

I waited instead and my wife called again today. She said they told her that they discontinued the new software because there were too many issues with it. (That was not our experience at all - the new software was much less buggy than the old software.)

I'd just like to confirm if anyone else has had the same experience with the "new" (over a year old at this point) Arris 6-tuner boxes or if we just keep getting CSRs who don't know what is going on.
I was told by a twc rep. That the main problem was trying to get it to work in a whole house environment i.e. Older boxes with older software
post #19155 of 19164 Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told by a twc rep. That the main problem was trying to get it to work in a whole house environment i.e. Older boxes with older software
post #19156 of 19164 Old 01-14-2016, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss

If they would just give up on this garbage and put SARA back on the boxes,I would hook my box back up instantly!! (More than likely I would)

I have an SA 3250 and with SARA it was FASTEST box they had,it was wonderful.... WITH THIS NAVIGATOR CRAP ITS SLOW AND UGLY;DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

SARA IS BEAUTIFUL...... ITS BASIC AND LETS YOU WATCH TV!!!!
post #19157 of 19164 Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Had my first missed recording last night in a long time. I don't remember ever missing a recording with the previous software, but it could have happened and I just don't remember.

None of my existing series show up in the series manager, although recordings are being scheduled for them. I re-configured some of the series and now they show up in the series manager but some of them are scheduled to record twice.

I am totally baffled as to why we are going backwards.
phildaant likes this.
post #19158 of 19164 Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Had my first missed recording last night in a long time. I don't remember ever missing a recording with the previous software, but it could have happened and I just don't remember.

None of my existing series show up in the series manager, although recordings are being scheduled for them. I re-configured some of the series and now they show up in the series manager but some of them are scheduled to record twice.

Did you try power cycling the boxes? I noticed these boxes (Navigator and iGuide) are buggy.
post #19159 of 19164 Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Did you try power cycling the boxes? I noticed these boxes (Navigator and iGuide) are buggy.
Yes I have power cycled them many times since they inflicted the old software on me.

No more missed recordings. Last night I at least did not get duplicate recordings.
phildaant likes this.
post #19160 of 19164 Old 01-22-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

How is the search on this box different? If you are on the trial, you can contact TWC to get off of it. People say the regular Arris 6-tuner box is great with the regular software. I would contact TWC to get off the trial, so you get a good box.

Satch

post #19161 of 19164 Old 01-23-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Greetings,

How is the search on this box different? If you are on the trial, you can contact TWC to get off of it. People say the regular Arris 6-tuner box is great with the regular software. I would contact TWC to get off the trial, so you get a good box.

Satch
Satch you misundertand - I was on the trial and we liked the software then. I didn't start having problems until the trial ended and they gave us some version of the old software.

I haven't tried search with what we have now.

To give you an idea of ways we preferred the trial software: 1) On the trial last channel would show you the six channels the tuners were buffering and allow you to pick between them; now last channel works the same as it did in 1995. 2) On-demand with the trial software was a native function not just tuning to a particular channel. 3) We preferred the smaller, simpler remote control from the trial, we had to go have to the old monstrosity in order to be able to pause. 4) We did have one missed recording since going off the trial. 5) I get double recordings of some shows - this is likely a symptom from when the software was changed and the off-trial version did not recognize any of my existing series recordings (none listed in the series manager) but they continue to be scheduled as one-off recordings.

Admittedly 4) and 5) are probably issues with the transition.

The box just feels like a Frankenstein monster at this point, like when a computer has been updated with too much stuff and nothing quite works right anymore and you need to just re-install the OS from scratch. Which might not be just a bad idea except that I'd lose my existing recordings.

All things considered we can still watch TV and assuming the missed recording was a one-off we still have DVR functionality and 6 tuners so really, first world problems, right?
phildaant and Satch Man like this.
post #19162 of 19164 Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
And back to some non-DVR STB news .....

Sometime in the last few months (after multiple travel trips and reboots) TWC has inflicted a very wierd software bug on me. Namely, faster ('twitchy') response to random key presses that result in interruptions. I'll try to explain ...

When navigating the PG to set a Reminder Timer, sometimes selecting a specific program will (too quickly) select the stupid default option underneath ('All Showings'). At this point my box locks up while the useless list of All Showings is downloaded. This list is all the more useless since a non-DVR user cannot set the timer from this list!

Even dumber, selecting Set Reminder then moves the cursor to All Showings (wtf) rather than Back To Guide or Exit.

These stupid PG defaults were made several years ago IIRC but only the recent 'twitchy Select button' made them infuriating. Die TWC programmers, Die!

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR), ODN v7.3.2_20
post #19163 of 19164 Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

When Charter takes over we will lose whole home DVR! Now that is going backwards.

We will reminisce about navigator when it is replaced with Charter's spectrum guide.
post #19164 of 19164 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
When Charter takes over we will lose whole home DVR! Now that is going backwards.

We will reminisce about navigator when it is replaced with Charter's spectrum guide.
No,

Tom Rutledge even said one of the reasons for merging with TWC was so Charter could get Whole House DVR.

Satch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page