Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 642 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 254Likes

post #19231 of 19257 Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
The internet based VOD (namely the Roku app) are much better.
100 times better than a DTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19232 of 19257 Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
hey ncmikey, I got the Arris DCX3600 and think it's doing a good job
so far. I've had it about 10months and have had 2 problems, both showing it
recording but when go to watch , nothing recorded...
Still good device, better than att ha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
I have an appointment to switch to enhanced DVR (6 tuner) .. Any advice on which manufacturer's model performs best on TWC? I ask because a tech told me that the Samsungs were by far the best but are in short supply here in the Triad NC area. Thanks
ncmikey likes this.
post #19233 of 19257 Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Question

Quote:
It can use TWC's VoD services?
post #19234 of 19257 Old 07-03-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
It can use TWC's VoD services?
Guide, search, live TV, VoD
phildaant likes this.
post #19235 of 19257 Old 07-03-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Guide, search, live TV, VoD
Oh wow. Nice. I guess I could toss the cable boxes then. Wait, can it record like a DVR too? I assume it uses cable cards.
post #19236 of 19257 Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh wow. Nice. I guess I could toss the cable boxes then. Wait, can it record like a DVR too? I assume it uses cable cards.
No recording function, no cable card. Runs on Roku type devices, IP based (needs Internet)
phildaant likes this.
post #19237 of 19257 Old 07-04-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No recording function, no cable card. Runs on Roku type devices, IP based (needs Internet)
Oh, boo. Roku needs to make a DVR too with it!
post #19238 of 19257 Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Thanks. I wonder if upcoming Charter Communications' VoD has this problem too.
My experience with VoD on Charter's Carolina Beach system has left a lot to be desired, and control lag is the least of the issues. Compared to TWC Charlotte's offerings, Charter has a significantly smaller selection of VoD programming with much of what they do have available only in SD.

Quote:
Agreed. I've used the TWC apps for PC, Android, Roku and X-Box360, and they all are pretty darn good. Roku overall is probably the best, with good PQ and an excellent UI. If it could only accept direct channel number entry it would be quite a good substitute for an STB. The xbox app delivers a slight but still noticeably better PQ than Roku, but it lacks a grid guide. Charter recently added a grid guide to their Roku app, but it still has a severely limited selection of channels available compared to TWC and still no VoD. PQ seems to have improved on the Charter Roku app as well.
phildaant likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6
post #19239 of 19257 Old 07-06-2016, 12:21 AM
BWX

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Funny how the day they started running commercials for the "New Spectrum" company, they have been throttling the crap out of my internet connection, mainly watching youtube vids. Sometimes capped at as little as 40mbps. Used to be able to watch vids at 6 to 7 MB/s.

Buffering forever.. TWC used to do it a little bit once in a while. Now it is constant and never ending. I have the 6/50 package "extreme" or some such BS name. Speed tests all check out.. If I use a proxy, I get full speed. They are throttling. Those*%*&%$# jerks.

Gonna call and drop my speed down because the jerks are just throttling any real use it has except speed tests.

Can't wait to see how bad the guides are and how crappy the PQ and is on TV in the coming years, not to mention outages and reliability. SMH.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #19240 of 19257 Old 07-06-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX
Can't wait to see how bad the guides are and how crappy the PQ and is on TV in the coming years, not to mention outages and reliability. SMH.

Seeing how things keep getting worse and ppl think ITS BETTER,I can imagine it will be worse than navicrapper!!
post #19241 of 19257 Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to thank those who replied to my request on Enhanced DVR experiences. I had mine installed today and I didn't have a choice, he only had the Cisco 9865 on his truck. But I must say so far I am happy with it. I'll see how it does recording and playing back. Thanks again

ncmikey
TWC Signature Home Cisco 9865HDC DVR, ODN 7.3.2_20
post #19242 of 19257 Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to thank those who replied to my request on Enhanced DVR experiences. I had mine installed today and I didn't have a choice, he only had the Cisco 9865 on his truck. But I must say so far I am happy with it. I'll see how it does recording and playing back. Thanks again
TWC seems to lean toward Cisco. Sometimes I think they buy just enough of the other brands to keep Cisco honest.
post #19243 of 19257 Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM

I have to say I am tickled pink with my Cisco Enhanced DVR. Gone completely are the audio dropouts I was getting during playback on the old Samsungs. I'm convinced now that those dropouts were due to failing hard drives. In fact, one of those DVRs refused to record for three days while I awaited the enhanced DVR installation. I kept getting an error message that the DVR was unable to record the program. But I had set up duplicate schedules on the other DVR which recorded just fine. Those DVRs were prob 7 years old and got a LOT of use. I'm a happy customer now.

ncmikey
post #19244 of 19257 Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i've had two TWC enhanced DVRs now- had to return the arris 3600 after 8 months or so as it started not recoording- now have had the cisco 9865 for 5 months or so- the 6 tuners & 1tb hard drive are super- had issues with the Arris not working with ARC HDMI into my Yamaha 779 AVR- I had to connect a digital audio cable.
Only issue i've found with the Cisco 9865 is if it reboots or the power goes out- when it comes back on it doesn't go back to Dolby Digital on the AVR- only works in stereo & AVR shows PCM- fix is to go into the settings/devices/audio digital out- & turn each setting on & go thru all of them- "other', dolby digital & HDMI- return it to HDMI & all works well- Learned this online by searching for Cisco 9865-
post #19245 of 19257 Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Pause's time out lengths.

Hello.

I noticed when I use pause on VoD, its time outs is short like a few minutes long and then exits. With local DVR (Navigator)'s recordings, its pause time outs can take maybe 30 minutes. Is there a setting to customize them? Sometimes, I get interrupted and pause for a long time. VoD's pause time outs are way too short! I hate going back to search/find and resume where I left off.

Thank you in advance.
post #19246 of 19257 Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello.

I noticed when I use pause on VoD, its time outs is short like a few minutes long and then exits. With local DVR (Navigator)'s recordings, its pause time outs can take maybe 30 minutes. Is there a setting to customize them? Sometimes, I get interrupted and pause for a long time. VoD's pause time outs are way too short! I hate going back to search/find and resume where I left off.

Thank you in advance.
No setting that I'm aware of. They (understandably) don't need/want people holding open server resources and VoD channel slots while they go eat dinner, BUT... if I leave a VoD program before it finishes, when I return even a day later I am presented with a list of in-progress VoD shows and have the opportunity to automatically resume from wherever I had previously stopped. I actually used this feature the other day after I checked on the HBO 3D availability for you. After watching only a few minutes of The Martian at lunch time, I returned to it that evening and picked up right where I had left off and watched the rest of the movie. Do you not get similar "in-progress" screens when you access VoD? I often find several "in-progress" shows listed because I either gave a quick look at something and decided not to watch or because I ended the show before the credits finished rolling.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by jcalabria; 07-12-2016 at 07:52 AM.
post #19247 of 19257 Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
No setting that I'm aware of. They (understandably) don't need/want people holding open server resources and VoD channel slots while they go eat dinner, BUT... if I leave a VoD program before it finishes, when I return even a day later I am presented with a list of in-progress VoD shows and have the opportunity to resume from wherever I had previously stopped. I actually used this feature the other day when I checked on the HBO 3D availability for you. After watching only a few minutes of The Martian at lunch time, I returned to it that evening and picked up right where I had left off and watched the rest of the movie. Do you not get similar "in-progress" screens when you access VoD? I often find several "in-progress" shows listed because I either gave a quick look at something and decided not to watch or because I ended the show before the credits finished rolling.
Ah. Interesting that your cable box gave you a reminder to resume your VoD viewings. I didn't get those. I only got "resume" after manually searching and selecting them.
post #19248 of 19257 Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah. Interesting that your cable box gave you a reminder to resume your VoD viewings. I didn't get those. I only got "resume" after manually searching and selecting them.
I pretty much never use search for anything. Similar to "easily" finding the HBO 3D listings, when I went back to the HBO OnDemand channel there is/was an "In-Progress" tab.

BTW... I don't think I mentioned that when I went to check on The Martian for you, I initially got a "not available" message when I tried to access VoD. Got that twice, then the third time the listings came up as expected. I really didn't think much about it at all. The next day I got an email from TWC apologizing for the "difficulties" I had experienced, along with a VoD credit for up to $5.99:

phildaant likes this.

Last edited by jcalabria; 07-12-2016 at 08:11 AM.
post #19249 of 19257 Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
I pretty much never use search for anything. Similar to "easily" finding the HBO 3D listings, when I went back to the HBO OnDemand channel there is/was an "In-Progress" tab.

BTW... I don't think I mentioned that when I went to check on The Martian for you, I initially got a "not available" message when I tried to access VoD. Got that twice, then the third time the listings came up as expected. I really didn't think much about it at all. The next day I got an email from TWC apologizing for the "difficulties" I had experienced, along with a VoD credit for up to $5.99:

Ah, I always already know what I want to see so I search for them. Lucky you got a free paid VoD offer.
post #19250 of 19257 Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Just a reminder, you must be using TWC Internet! Other providers are blocked from using the Roku TWC app. More anticompetitive bundling!
phildaant likes this.

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR), ODN v7.3.2_20
post #19251 of 19257 Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Just a reminder, you must be using TWC Internet! Other providers are blocked from using the Roku TWC app. More anticompetitive bundling!
Oh yuck. I would hate that.
post #19252 of 19257 Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Just a reminder, you must be using TWC Internet! Other providers are blocked from using the Roku TWC app. Not really hard to figure out why
/fixed
phildaant likes this.
post #19253 of 19257 Old 07-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'd had enough with my two-tuner DVR. It required me to play games with start/end times; or to watch a third channel "live" - previously directly via the TV, once our division went all-digital, via the little "DTA" converter. So I decided to order a six-tuner "Enhanced" DVR.

I called TWC and spoke to an intelligent sales rep and to an intelligent tech rep. Unfortunately, in spite of being smarter than the average TWC employee, they were unaware of the "hack"-ish technique of using Field Tools/Save Settings on the old STB, then Field Tools/Retrieve Settings on the new STB to transfer Series setups (or "Series Manager", as TWC seems to call it, even though that name would refer to the option/tool, not to entries stored within).

The sales rep believed that a service rep could come to your home, for $29.95 and do the Series transfer.

The tech rep found the whole Field Tools technique on the TWC forum. She believed that Retrieving Settings, if such an option were both available and functional, was highly unlikely to brick the new STB. I shouldn't have questioned it out loud, but I did, also wondering if the retrieval of settings wouldn't do something ridiculous, like tricking the new six-tuner STB into thinking it only had two tuners. Again, shouldn't have said anything, but I said if any bricking occurred, I would just return the STB to my local TWC store. We also surmised that the chances of the Field Tools hack being successful would be enhanced if the Enchanced DVR were a Cisco model, as is my current STB. She & I also speculated that IF a service rep were able to do a Series transfer in the home, s/he might use the Field Tools technique.

Got back to the sales rep, who added a note to the order stating the Cisco preference.
Well, the STB arrived the very next day...not a Cisco, of course, but an Arris/Motorola(?) DCX3600-M.

Here then is my problem. I had last tried playing with Field Tools/Save Settings a few weeks ago. Each time I did it, a long number was generated, that number to be used when Retrieving Settings later. I stupidly thought everything would be same-same (if the hack would even work) when I tried it for real, so I didn't write down any of the Saved Settings keys generated.

I have not yet set up or authorized the Arris box.

Now, when I go into Save Settings and press Select on my old Cisco box, the STB just sits there. The current channel remains reduced to the upper right corner and the associated clock below it freezes on the time of the Save Settings attempt. Eventually, the video in the upper right goes black, although the audio remains. Hoping that the connection to the server is just incredibly slow, on several attempts I've waited as long as an hour, with nothing happening.

Oh, and everything is locked up. The only way I've found to get out of this lockup is to do a cold boot.

I know it's been talked about, but has anyone had any luck with this "hack"?
My mind goes to the thought that since I'm trying to openly thwart a supposed charge of $29.95 for what some service rep might ALLEGEDLY be able to do, that TWC has somehow f'd up/disabled Save Settings to teach me a lesson. But I just can't imagine ANYONE at TWC having the level of expertise to do that!!

I went through this whole exercise so I wouldn't have to sit down with my screen-captured Series list, probably every day, waiting for each "few episodes per year" series to finally appear on the schedule so I can add it to the STB. If only stupid, stupid, stupid, POS Navigator had keyword/wishlist recording like Passport had and many of Navigator's current "peers" also have!

Please, please help. Thanks.

ODN 7.3.2_20, Cisco 8742HDC, Dayton Ohio
post #19254 of 19257 Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
Please, please help. Thanks.
I understand completely what you're going through. A few years back I had a tech who used the Field Tools screen to save my Series Manager. It worked great.

Recently I decided to upgrade to Enhanced DVR from my whole house DVR setup. I tried and tried to get the Field Tools screen to come up so I could back up my settings prior to the switch. I could never get the Field Tools screen to come up. I decided I would see if the tech who brought out the Enhanced DVR (Cisco btw) could back it up but he pleaded complete ignorance. So I was left with having to reprogram series manager. I have a four page list of which I've been able to program about 20% so far.

I wish you luck but I haven't found anyone in the Greensboro office who even acknowledges the Field Tools actually exists. The guy who showed it to me originally is no longer around.

ncmikey
post #19255 of 19257 Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM

Angry

Quote:
I understand completely what you're going through. A few years back I had a tech who used the Field Tools screen to save my Series Manager. It worked great.

Recently I decided to upgrade to Enhanced DVR from my whole house DVR setup. I tried and tried to get the Field Tools screen to come up so I could back up my settings prior to the switch. I could never get the Field Tools screen to come up. I decided I would see if the tech who brought out the Enhanced DVR (Cisco btw) could back it up but he pleaded complete ignorance. So I was left with having to reprogram series manager. I have a four page list of which I've been able to program about 20% so far.

I wish you luck but I haven't found anyone in the Greensboro office who even acknowledges the Field Tools actually exists. The guy who showed it to me originally is no longer around.
Thanks. At least I can get to Field Tools...
I find it too much of a coincidence that I can no longer Save Settings, which was no problem a few weeks ago. But the notion that TWC could selectively turn that off just for me is just truly unbelievable, unless they disable it when there's a new STB pending.
Still hoping for some server issue which will resolve on Monday, but I highly doubt it.
Once again, I can't wait for our market to be Charter-fied.

post #19256 of 19257 Old 07-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:

It doesn't seem like it would do you any good at this point, but it may help others.

Elsewhere in this thread (and for my Cisco STB):
Press and hold Select on the remote until mail/message flash.
Press Exit.
Press Settings (Left also seems to work).
You should now have a Field Tools tab under the Settings button, which persists until you power off the STB.
regulator8 likes this.

post #19257 of 19257 Old Today, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Question Does power cycling DCX3510M DVR no longer removes the guide' data?

I did a power cycle yesterday since the DVR was acting slow (too hot from the crazy 100F degrees weather?). After that, I noticed the guide was still populated. :O I thought that they get wiped out when it has no power?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders