Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 644 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 278Likes

post #19291 of 19308 Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Like SARAH? :P
LOL@Ant,

We never had a Sarah box. Just Passport before Navigator.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Cisco 9865HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I would LOVE having Sara again.......

phildaant likes this.
post #19293 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Is it me or is the 2nd info button press going full screen on RC? It used to show me bigger details on the bottom and not fullscreen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
I am seeing inconsistent behavior with this since the update at 1am last night... sometimes I get the expanded banner and sometimes a full screen page with color graphics. Haven't played enough to notice a pattern... could be that certain networks get the full page with added graphics and some just get the expanded banner (I would prefer the expanded banner... no need to go full screen if I just want to see quickly see episode info)... or it could be some bug. Don't really know yet, especially with some of the other inconsistencies I see with accessing guide data.
After running for 24 hours and (presumably) having a fully loaded guide database, the behavior is now to consistently bring up the full screen display with the small (smaller than the guide's) active video window. There no longer seems to be a way to bring up the expanded info banner over full screen video. This is absurd behavior imo.
phildaant likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 8.0.0_21
post #19294 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Expanding on my earlier comments/observations about Navigator 8.0 (new comments in bold italics):

• Mildly updated guide graphics - nothing earth shattering in the general appearance, but I would call it a slight improvement on an already attractive UI.

• Additional locations with "DVR box"graphics - they probably have gone too far with this. Changes seem to have been made just to accomodate the expanded use of these graphics to the detriment of overall usability. Just because the graphics exist does not mean they need to be utilized EVERYWHERE.

• Altered menu access (added [Left] and/or [Right] directional keys in addition to [Menu] and/or [A]) - Did we really need ANOTHER means of accessing a generally useless menu? The [Menu] and/or [A] buttons weren't enough?

• Added "Recently Viewed" function, accessed via the [Up] or [Down] direction keys. A function of questionable usefulness (I don't believe I will ever find use for it) that seems to be yet another means of showing off the DVR box graphics.

• These new and mostly useless functions for the direction keys have eliminated the long standing and very useful ability to navigate adjacent channels and time slots of the guide without losing full screen video.

• The generally useless top menu (all of the useful functions in the menu are available via direct key access... Settings, Search, DVR, Live TV, etc) now not only has additional ways of being accessed, but it is also forced upon us for several seconds every time the box is turned on. I have not yet found any settings to defeat this "feature".

• Added direct access to Navigator diagnostics from the settings menu, with on-screen directions to access the SA/Cisco hardware diagnostics as well - welcomed feature. Note that the key sequence given for accessing the Manufacturers Hardware menus is different than the previously well-known key sequence, but accesses the same menus.

• Added "reboot" command in the menus - also welcomed

• Screens that access guide data are so far extraordinarily slow or do not work at all (either no response at all or "not available" message) - seemed to be much faster and working consistently last night. I'm assuming that the cause was an incomplete guide database immediately after the update.

• Several times I found that the Exit key will not release the Info banner... have to wait for the banner duration period to time out. This seems to have fixed itself.

• I cannot get ANY search functions to work at all (no biggy to me, but I'm sure many will throw fits if this is a widespread issue). This seems to be working OK now.

• They have added the ability to give the box a meaningful name (Living Room, etc) that I presume will show up when access the box via web-based troubleshooting and/or DVR programming. Haven't gone online to check but should be useful if it works as expected.

• I really do not care for the substitution of a full screen menu for the previously available expanded info banner at the second press of the [Info] key. There is additional functionality there, but 90% of the time I will be only looking to see the expanded episode information. I do not want to lose full screen video to do that. Again, it seems that part of the motivation may have been to show off those DVR box graphics.

• They have not addressed the long standing bug where you will get dumped out to the menu if you use 3x or 4x FF near (but not all the way to) the end of a DVR recording. They have not reinstated the ability to rewind back into the show from that menu, an ability that existed prior to ODN 7, I believe. This was probably my biggest peeve with ODN 7 and probably will remain so with ODN 8.

In general, while not horrible, 8.0 is not any great advancement, either. A few steps forward and few steps back. New features seem to be of the "look how smart our programmers are" variety rather than showing any true understanding of how people actually use their boxes and what would be truly useful improvements.

Last edited by jcalabria; Yesterday at 01:25 PM.
post #19295 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I would LOVE having Sara again.......

Oops, it was you and not Satch. Sorry Satch.
post #19296 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Expanding on my earlier comments/observations about Navigator 8.0 (new comments in bold italics):

• Mildly updated guide graphics - nothing earth shattering in the general appearance, but I would call it a slight improvement on an already attractive UI.

• Additional locations with "DVR box"graphics - they probably have gone too far with this. Changes seem to have been made just to accomodate the expanded use of these graphics to the detriment of overall usability. Just because the graphics exist does not mean they need to be utilized EVERYWHERE.

• Altered menu access (added [Left] and/or [Right] directional keys in addition to [Menu] and/or [A]) - Did we really need ANOTHER means of accessing a generally useless menu? The [Menu] and/or [A] buttons weren't enough?

• Added "Recently Viewed" function, accessed via the [Up] or [Down] direction keys. A function of questionable usefulness (I don't believe I will ever find use for it) that seems to be yet another means of showing off the DVR box graphics.

• These new and mostly useless functions for the direction keys have eliminated the long standing and very useful ability to navigate adjacent channels and time slots of the guide without losing full screen video.

• The generally useless top menu (all of the useful functions in the menu are available via direct key access... Settings, Search, DVR, Live TV, etc) now not only has additional ways of being accessed, but it is also forced upon us for several seconds every time the box is turned on. I have not yet found any settings to defeat this "feature".

• Added direct access to Navigator diagnostics from the settings menu, with on-screen directions to access the SA/Cisco hardware diagnostics as well - welcomed feature. Note that the key sequence given for accessing the Manufacturers Hardware menus is different than the previously well-known key sequence, but accesses the same menus.

• Added "reboot" command in the menus - also welcomed

• Screens that access guide data are so far extraordinarily slow or do not work at all (either no response at all or "not available" message) - seemed to be much faster and working consistently last night. I'm assuming that the cause was an incomplete guide database immediately after the update.

• Several times I found that the Exit key will not release the Info banner... have to wait for the banner duration period to time out. This seems to have fixed itself.

• I cannot get ANY search functions to work at all (no biggy to me, but I'm sure many will throw fits if this is a widespread issue) also seems to be working OK now. This seems to be working OK now.

• They have added the ability to give the box a meaningful name (Living Room, etc) that I presume will show up when access the box via web-based troubleshooting and/or DVR programming. Haven't gone online to check but should be useful if it works as expected.

• I really do not care for the substitution of a full screen menu for the previously available expanded info banner at the second press of the [Info] key. There is additional functionality there, but 90% of the time I will be only looking to see the expanded episode information. I do not want to lose full screen video to do that. Again, it seems that part of the motivation may have been to show off those DVR box graphics.

• They have not addressed the long standing bug where you will get dumped out to the menu if you use 3x or 4x FF near (but not all the way to) the end of a DVR recording. They have not reinstated the ability to rewind back into the show from that menu, an ability that existed prior to ODN 7, I believe. This was probably my biggest peeve with ODN 7 and probably will remain so with ODN 8.

In general, while not horrible, 8.0 is not any great advancement, either. A few steps forward and few steps back. New features seem to be of the "look how smart our programmers are" variety rather than showing any true understanding of how people actually use their boxes and what would be truly useful improvements.
Sup JC?

Nice list! My comments,

A lot of people aren't exactly huge fans of the Access Menu that pops up when the box is turned on, and you have to wait 15 seconds to dismiss it, or as I understand it, press Exit or the Menu button. There should be an option in Settings in the next update to turn off the Access Menu when the box is turned on.

If you don't like the Recently Viewed Menu update, you can turn it off in Settings. Go to Settings, and find Recently Viewed and you can change the default setting of on back to off. I think I will actually like Recently Viewed, because you can go back to see content, without having to remember channel numbers.

What is in this update where you can take further action on show cells in the Time Grid? How has this changed?

TWC-Spectrum must really like that Quick Access Menu. It looks like the one they plan to roll out or have already rolled out on the mobile applications.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #19297 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Sup JC?

Nice list! My comments,

A lot of people aren't exactly huge fans of the Access Menu that pops up when the box is turned on, and you have to wait 15 seconds to dismiss it, or as I understand it, press Exit or the Menu button. There should be an option in Settings in the next update to turn off the Access Menu when the box is turned on. Agreed!

If you don't like the Recently Viewed Menu update, you can turn it off in Settings. Go to Settings, and find Recently Viewed and you can change the default setting of on back to off. I think I will actually like Recently Viewed, because you can go back to see content, without having to remember channel numbers. It's not intrusive... I can choose to just not use it. The issue is that it took away another useful feature that those keys previously were used for... being able to look at adjacent time and channel slots without bringing up the full screen guide

What is in this update where you can take further action on show cells in the Time Grid? How has this changed? Not sure what you are referring to.

TWC-Spectrum must really like that Quick Access Menu. It looks like the one they plan to roll out or have already rolled out on the mobile applications. It's totally worthless IMHO, and it IS intrusive. Still, the menu has more or less always existed and I was easily able to ignore its existence. That is no longer possible with the non-defeatable auto popup on turn-on... and they REALLY didn't need to take away a valuable feature to add yet another means of accessing it when at least two methods already existed... and its not like pressing the arrow keys is more intuitive than pressing the damned MENU key when you want to see the menu.

Satch
They could have easily retained the banner navigation of the guide if they had assigned the new Recently Viewed function to the [Page Up]/[Page Down] keys instead of the directional [Up] [Down] keys, and not bothered adding a totally superfluous means of accessing the menu via the directional [Left][Right] buttons. Another possibility is that they could have assigned the Recently Viewed function to the currently unused [D] button.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by jcalabria; Yesterday at 01:22 PM.
post #19298 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They could have easily retained the banner navigation of the guide if they had assigned the new Recently Viewed function to the [Page Up]/[Page Down] keys instead of the directional [Up] [Down] keys, and not bothered adding a totally superfluous means of accessing the menu via the directional [Left][Right] buttons. Another possibility is that they could have assigned the Recently Viewed function to the currently unused [D] button.
[QUOTE][What is in this update where you can take further action on show cells in the Time Grid? How has this changed? Not sure what you are referring to./QUOTE]

Hi JC,

What I mean is that on the guide before the ODN 8.0 update lets say that you want to record a future show directly from the Time Grid you select that show and you get a prompt with stuff like:

• Record This Show
  • Record This Show With Options
  • Record Series
  • Record Series With Options.
  • Set Reminder

How have those above options changed, if at all with ODN 8.0? Also, how has the keyboard search changed?

Satch

post #19299 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Satch Man;48586473]
Quote:
[What is in this update where you can take further action on show cells in the Time Grid? How has this changed? Not sure what you are referring to./QUOTE]

Hi JC,

What I mean is that on the guide before the ODN 8.0 update lets say that you want to record a future show directly from the Time Grid you select that show and you get a prompt with stuff like:

• Record This Show
  • Record This Show With Options
  • Record Series
  • Record Series With Options.
  • Set Reminder

How have those above options changed, if at all with ODN 8.0? Also, how has the keyboard search changed?

Satch
OK... The popup is visually different and includes the DVR box graphics now. The menu itself is context sensitive... Options vary depending on factors such as whether you have recordings set for that show or whether the show is a series and/or is episodic in nature. Most of the options look similar to what was previously available... I don't recall ever seeing a "Series" option previously, which brings up a screen similar to what you would get if you did a title search.

BTW... If you disable the Recently Viewed feature in the settings as you suggested, it restores the banner guide navigation. I take back what I said, lol... except that if they had assigned the Recently Viewed to the Page Up/Page Down buttons instead of the Up/Down buttons they would have been able to offer both features simultaneously.
Satch Man likes this.

post #19300 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant
Oops, it was you and not Satch. Sorry Satch.

Im sorry buddy..
phildaant likes this.
post #19301 of 19308 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry buddy..
"I'm not your buddy, friend."
post #19302 of 19308 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more 8.0 comments...

• During DVR playback, a second [Info] press still brings up the expanded banner info rather than the full page as it does in Live TV.
  • During DVR playback, the directional keys function as transport keys [Left]=Rew, [Right]=FF, [Enter/Select]=Pause. If this existed previously I never noticed it.
  • Folks who are into Season/Episode data (e.g., Season 1, Episode 13) will like the expanded availability of this info throughout the guide... it's everywhere now.
  • There is a strange and mildly annoying popup message when selecting a recorded show for playback... to the effect of "We are updating your DVR recording". It pops up for about 3 seconds. Initially I thought it might be for recordings made pre-update, but it does it for recordings made after the update as well.
  • Since the initial update, the Diagnostics Menu has changed... there is now direct access to the Vendor Diagnostics (rather than key sequence instructions as was initially found post-upgrade). Direct access to ODN diagnostics remains.
phildaant and Satch Man like this.

Last edited by jcalabria; Today at 07:51 AM.
post #19303 of 19308 Old Today, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thumbs down Reminder Timer gone

I used the reminder timer a lot. I am a sports junkie and it was a good way to keep track of games I wanted watch. I went to set a timer last night for a hockey game tonight and there is no more reminder time from the guide screen. I tried several other shows and had the same thing. I called TW and was told they are still working on the new navigator!!!!! I was able to set a reminder timer by going to settings, scan across to reminder timers, then add the channel which is on a drop down screen, no way to type it in you have to scroll. Then scroll through the dates, then scroll through the hour, then scroll through the minutes and press OK.If this sounds like too much, it is, yu would have to do it for each show you want the reminder timer for. Used to work on the guide to click on select and one of the drop downs was set reminder. TW can never get anything right. I hope the fix this fast.
post #19304 of 19308 Old Today, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
I used the reminder timer a lot. I am a sports junkie and it was a good way to keep track of games I wanted watch. I went to set a timer last night for a hockey game tonight and there is no more reminder time from the guide screen. I tried several other shows and had the same thing. I called TW and was told they are still working on the new navigator!!!!! I was able to set a reminder timer by going to settings, scan across to reminder timers, then add the channel which is on a drop down screen, no way to type it in you have to scroll. Then scroll through the dates, then scroll through the hour, then scroll through the minutes and press OK.If this sounds like too much, it is, yu would have to do it for each show you want the reminder timer for. Used to work on the guide to click on select and one of the drop downs was set reminder. TW can never get anything right. I hope the fix this fast.
LOL... I was happy to see the reminders gone. We never use the reminders ourselves but we have a family friend that has a habit of setting reminders on our Kitchen STB that are always popping up unexpectedly. I know... that's a friend problem and not a Navigator problem.

post #19305 of 19308 Old Today, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
That seems like so many steps for search a simple task!

They should add a Set Reminder to the search results options for shows and series in the next update. I am almost positive that I have Set Reminder on the Time Grid, but I don't have The Guide (Navigator 8.0 yet.)

Satch

post #19306 of 19308 Old Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A few more 8.0 comments...

• During DVR playback, a second [Info] press still brings up the expanded banner info rather than the full page as it does in Live TV.
  • During DVR playback, the directional keys function as transport keys [Left]=Rew, [Right]=FF, [Enter/Select]=Pause. If this existed previously I never noticed it.
  • Folks who are into Season/Episode data (e.g., Season 1, Episode 13) will like the expanded availability of this info throughout the guide... it's everywhere now.
  • There is a strange and mildly annoying popup message when selecting a recorded show for playback... to the effect of "We are updating your DVR recording". It pops up for about 3 seconds. Initially I thought it might be for recordings made pre-update, but it does it for recordings made after the update as well.
  • Since the initial update, the Diagnostics Menu has changed... there is now direct access to the Vendor Diagnostics (rather than key sequence instructions as was initially found post-upgrade). Direct access to ODN diagnostics remains.
Thanks JC,

Other than the box reboot in Settings (VERY USEFUL) I am wondering wihy TWC-Spectrum put easy access to Diagnostics? Is there anything that a non-tech customer could change in there that would mess up their box?

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #19307 of 19308 Old Today, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Thanks JC,

Other than the box reboot in Settings (VERY USEFUL) I am wondering wihy TWC-Spectrum put easy access to Diagnostics? Is there anything that a non-tech customer could change in there that would mess up their box?

Satch
They actually make a big deal about the reboot option in the new guide documentation on the website.

Not that I'm complaining, but I was surprised as well to see the diagnostics available in the user menu. I don't think there's any damage to be done in the ODN or Cisco diagnostics, but I know that at least at one time there were (password protected) sub-menus in the Samsung hardware diagnostics that could get somebody in trouble pretty quick if you got in there and started changing things. For me, the most useful feature in the diagnostics has been checking RF levels and SNRs, especially when planning and/or after executing some kind of change to my distribution network in the house. Mostly for curiosity's sake (I rarely, if ever, have any issues with it), I also keep up with what channels are SDV via the diagnostics as well.
phildaant likes this.

post #19308 of 19308 Old Today, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant
"I'm not your buddy, friend."