Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 645 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288Likes

post #19321 of 19329 Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
An onscreen guide called StarSight was around in the mid to late 90's. It got its info from some kind of a sub channel of PBS. It lasted until cable started their own guides.

You could do several things with it that you really cannot do now.

I could delete any channel from showing up in the guide. For example we never saw any religious channels or any shopping channels, that was our choice.

I could put the channels in any order I wanted so the channels that came up first were the ones we watched the most.

I could group channels like above. I am a sports junkie so I had all the sports channels together, My wife likes science fiction so we had a group of channels that showed a lot of science fiction.

You did have to buy their box (about $100 one time cost)

We were sorry to see it go.
Interesting.

All version of Navigator can do some of those things:

1.) If you press Guide twice, you can filter the guide to show only Subscribed Channels. This is my favorite filter in the Navigator Guide-Note that this only applies to the Time Grid and not any search screens. Additionally, you can set up a Favorites List to have the guide only show your Favorite Channels as a filter. Of course you must create a Favorites List first.

2.) Those are other really good options mentioned by the OP!

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Cisco 9865HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19322 of 19329 Old 01-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Starsight could do more

I could delete from the guide channels I may subscribe to because of a bundle but do not want to see in the guide. If I use the current subscribed channels(which I do) I still get all the religious channels and shopping channels in the guide. In Starsight I could just delete them from the guide.

My favorites list changes all the time. As I said I am a sports junkie so today there are a bunch of basketball games I want to watch. I will put all those channels in my favorite list and delete them all when the games are done.

Starsight was much more user friendly!

And don't get me started about the lack of an easy to use reminder timer in the "new" "downgrade" of navigator.
phildaant likes this.
post #19323 of 19329 Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
I could delete from the guide channels I may subscribe to because of a bundle but do not want to see in the guide. If I use the current subscribed channels(which I do) I still get all the religious channels and shopping channels in the guide. In Starsight I could just delete them from the guide.

My favorites list changes all the time. As I said I am a sports junkie so today there are a bunch of basketball games I want to watch. I will put all those channels in my favorite list and delete them all when the games are done.

Starsight was much more user friendly!

And don't get me started about the lack of an easy to use reminder timer in the "new" "downgrade" of navigator.
We have not been updated yet in Wisconsin,

The easy "Set Reminder" from the Time Grid Functions is one of the most criticized loss of features with this new version. You have to do it from Settings, and go to Timers now.

Satch

post #19324 of 19329 Old 01-22-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Keep your box UNPLUGGED (Unscrew the coax) at night Satch!! (Try to avoid the update as long as possible)
post #19325 of 19329 Old 01-26-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Keep your box UNPLUGGED (Unscrew the coax) at night Satch!! (Try to avoid the update as long as possible)
Hi Dude,

This is actually NOT a good idea. People have unplugged their boxes going away on vacation and have lost critical updates, resulting in dead boxes upon coming home. Changes to the system rely on previous updates to the system. All users can do is send feedback or get a tech out if they are having problems.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #19326 of 19329 Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Well I remember when TWC was first forcing this garbage on our boxs years ago THEY TOLD ME WHEN THEY WERE DOING IT (Every tuesday night) so EVERY WEEK ON TUES I TOOK MY BOX OFFLINE AT NIGHT! (I avoided the update for months... THEN ONE WEEK THE SCUMBAGS SENT THE UPDATE ON A THURSDAY NIGHT! (I was pi$$ed))

Last edited by Dude111; 02-23-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #19327 of 19329 Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Hello.

As of last week on 2/16/2017, Arris DCX3510M DVR (its settings show Standard DVR Plus, Arris STB Host, Arris 3510, 2 tuners, & 500 GB) got its Navigator upgrade (e.g., power on and get its left side menu -- I'm still trying to get used to this new design!). Things were working well until about 15 minutes ago. I noticed each series needed updates that took a few seconds. Fine since it only happens once for each series since the upgrade. They should be all caught up by now.

However, accessing last night's new episodes' recordings show "Updating data ..." And then I highlight the new recorded episodes from 10 PM PST hours. However, they say "Loading data..." Trying to play them show "Attention -- Episode is currently unavailable Please try again later [OK]". See http://image.prntscr.com/image/896e3...6cb9c9ea12.jpg for a SD screen capture/shot from my old computer's video capture card.

I noticed these are happening with non-local broadcast recordings so far. Last night's Arrow and The Goldbergs and other series' older recordings did not have this problem, but last night's FX's Legion and Syfy's The Expanse did. However, I didn't have this problem with Sunday night's The Walking Dead and The Talking Dead's new episodes on AMC. What's up (a bug?) and how do I fix it to watch?

I tried power off and cycling the DVR to see if the problem would go away. Nope! I did find a workaround. Search the series' titles and their episodes and play from DVR. That trick skips the stuckage. I'm currently watching my last night's new Expanse recording.

Thank you in advance.
post #19328 of 19329 Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Hello.

As of last week on 2/16/2017, Arris DCX3510M DVR (its settings show Standard DVR Plus, Arris STB Host, Arris 3510, 2 tuners, & 500 GB) got its Navigator upgrade (e.g., power on and get its left side menu -- I'm still trying to get used to this new design!). Things were working well until about 15 minutes ago. I noticed each series needed updates that took a few seconds. Fine since it only happens once for each series since the upgrade. They should be all caught up by now.

However, accessing last night's new episodes' recordings show "Updating data ..." And then I highlight the new recorded episodes from 10 PM PST hours. However, they say "Loading data..." Trying to play them show "Attention -- Episode is currently unavailable Please try again later [OK]". See http://image.prntscr.com/image/896e3...6cb9c9ea12.jpg for a SD screen capture/shot from my old computer's video capture card.

I noticed these are happening with non-local broadcast recordings so far. Last night's Arrow and The Goldbergs and other series' older recordings did not have this problem, but last night's FX's Legion and Syfy's The Expanse did. However, I didn't have this problem with Sunday night's The Walking Dead and The Talking Dead's new episodes on AMC. What's up (a bug?) and how do I fix it to watch?

I tried power off and cycling the DVR to see if the problem would go away. Nope! I did find a workaround. Search the series' titles and their episodes and play from DVR. That trick skips the stuckage. I'm currently watching my last night's new Expanse recording.

Thank you in advance.
Interesting. Now, it works after watching and deleting a couple (Legion and The Goldbergs) of my previous last night's recordings. I wonder if it will happen again in the future. Did I run into a known bug?
post #19329 of 19329 Old Today, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a way to have Arris DCX3510M DVR's Navigator to record new episodes at LATER time when there are conflicts due to dual tuner limitations since cable stations like to repeat epiosdes later?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page