Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 646 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 315Likes

post #19351 of 19378 Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
I have seen this repeatedly on my Cisco 8640 ever since the ODN8 upgrade. It appears that the error is in the box obtaining all the additional episodic information that's been added in the 8.0 upgrade (even though when you're looking to play back something you recorded locally you probably don't give a darn about that). Unfortunately, when the additional information doesn't load, you never are offered the chance to just watch local recording. From what I've observed, once these errors start appearing for a show, they never go away on their own. Rebooting the box does clear the errors, but not always immediately... it typically takes 10-15 minutes after the reboot has finished for the previously missing episodic information to be downloaded and available... then you can go ahead and watch your show that was sitting there all along.

While in a perfect world it could be nice to see all available episodes from all available sources, it can't come at the expense of the most basic functionality the DVR is supposed to provide. I have to say that I'm happy that the basic recording functionality appears to be as reliable as ever (very good... essentially 100% for me, both now and historically for Navigator), but having to jump through hoops when you want to watch something that's already been recorded is, at best, annoying.
Ah, I am not alone then. Good. I will let know TWC/Charter know then. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19378 Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
twc here in honolulu- my TWC/cisco 9865hdc DVR updated last month to new software- having same issues as others loading recorded material taking forever, saying not available, etc. Other thing i noticed is i set the options for video on DVR to save 1080i, 720p, 480i so video is passed thru to TV & not upconverted by DVR. Next day when i check these settings only 1080i is active & i have to reset 720p/480i again each time box is turned on. (this is new with latest software).
other item thats been around with box since i got it- is when the box is re-booted or power goes off- the DVR only outputs PCM 2.0- with no 5.1 dolby digital. I have to go into DVR digital audio settings & go thru each setting moving from HDMI (which is what its set on)- to Dolby, then to 3rd one, then back to HDMI for the 5.1 dolby to be output-
post #19353 of 19378 Old 03-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have TWC signature home with whole house dvr. One of the dvr is broken. Won’t power on. Now that spectrum has taken over I read they don’t have whole house dvr. When I call to replace the box for another am I going to lose having whole house dvr or since I’m still under TWC signature home plan they will replace the box but I’ll still have whole house dvr? Does anyone know?

post #19354 of 19378 Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsgts View Post
I have TWC signature home with whole house dvr. One of the dvr is broken. Won’t power on. Now that spectrum has taken over I read they don’t have whole house dvr. When I call to replace the box for another am I going to lose having whole house dvr or since I’m still under TWC signature home plan they will replace the box but I’ll still have whole house dvr? Does anyone know?
Good question! Please let us know what happens.
phildaant likes this.
post #19355 of 19378 Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsgts View Post
Don't change to a "Spectrum" plan and you should OK. Change and lose Whole Home, any 6 tuner DVR, and any Tuning Adapter. Do gain 2 tuner DVR on each TV for I think it was 4-5 TVs before additional costs (kept my 6-tuner TWC plan and pay about $10 more).

/Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #19356 of 19378 Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post
Don't change to a "Spectrum" plan and you should OK. Change and lose Whole Home, any 6 tuner DVR, and any Tuning Adapter. Do gain 2 tuner DVR on each TV for I think it was 4-5 TVs before additional costs (kept my 6-tuner TWC plan and pay about $10 more).

/Dan
So, do you get the same 6-tuners if it breaks down? I read that they don't give those out anymore even for those on TWC plans.
post #19357 of 19378 Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Probably not.....Ya gotta probably fight for it and hope you get another......
post #19358 of 19378 Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Probably not.....Ya gotta probably fight for it and hope you get another......
I wonder if anyone did that yet. I miss old TWC!
Satch Man likes this.
post #19359 of 19378 Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
So, do you get the same 6-tuners if it breaks down? I read that they don't give those out anymore even for those on TWC plans.
I hope I do not have to fin I though have had good luck sweet talking "special services". They hopefully will find me a turn in or something. /Dan
post #19360 of 19378 Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Don't change to a "Spectrum" plan and you should OK. Change and lose Whole Home, any 6 tuner DVR, and any Tuning Adapter. Do gain 2 tuner DVR on each TV for I think it was 4-5 TVs before additional costs (kept my 6-tuner TWC plan and pay about $10 more). /Dan
Quote:
I just got back from my local TWC/Spectrum office (turned in an old Cisco 2-tuner DVR i no longer need) but i still have my Arris 6-Tuner Enhanced DVR which i'm keeping (i run it alongside my Tivo Premiere).

I asked the guy a few questions:

1. Are they still offering Whole House DVR? He said no.

2. What happens if my 6-tuner Arris Enhanced DVR fails? He said if i stay on Time Warner then they will replace it with the
same 6-Tuner Arris. But if i switch from TWC to Spectrum service and it fails after that, they'll only replace it with a
2-tuner DVR at reduced cost so he recommended i stick with TWC to avoid this happening.

3. He said both companies are still renting CableCards like before (for my Tivo) so no changes there.

In hindsight, i should have asked if Spectrum offers any sort of 4 or 6 Tuner DVR at all. Or if a new customer can choose
to go with Time Warner (instead of Spectrum) and get a 6 Tuner DVR.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #19361 of 19378 Old 03-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
3. He said both companies are still renting CableCards like before (for my Tivo) so no changes there.

In hindsight, i should have asked if Spectrum offers any sort of 4 or 6 Tuner DVR at all. Or if a new customer can choose
to go with Time Warner (instead of Spectrum) and get a 6 Tuner DVR.

#3 - But Spectrum will not let you keep a DTA (hooked to a non-cable ready TV). I still have one for $1.50 in the kitchen.

Spectrum has only 2-tuner DVRs right now but will give you one for each TV at a fair price. New customers can only choose Spectrum.

/Dan
post #19362 of 19378 Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
#3 - But Spectrum will not let you keep a DTA (hooked to a non-cable ready TV). I still have one for $1.50 in the kitchen.
I've noticed TWC prices vary from area to area. I have a DTA in a bedroom - it used to be $1.50 but some time ago it went up to $4.00 for some reason. An HD Cable Box is $11.25 right now.

Quote:
Spectrum has only 2-tuner DVRs right now but will give you one for each TV at a fair price. New customers can only choose Spectrum. /Dan
It kinda astounds me that Spectrum only offers a DVR that only records 30 hours of HD which is nothing by todays standards. I wonder if they're planning on offering an Enhanced DVR and/or Whole Home Service in the future?

I have no use for a DVR that small. My 6-Tuner Arris records about 150 hours (1TB), and my Tivo records 300 hours. No way would i be able to settle for Spectrum's offering. They can't possibly think this is a good idea, and does not attract new customers compared to their competition.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
post #19363 of 19378 Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
2. What happens if my 6-tuner Arris Enhanced DVR fails? He said if i stay on Time Warner then they will replace it with the same 6-Tuner Arris. But if i switch from TWC to Spectrum service and it fails after that, they'll only replace it with a 2-tuner DVR at reduced cost so he recommended i stick with TWC to avoid this happening.

Im glad he was honest with you about this!!
post #19364 of 19378 Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 AM

Liked: 128
STB updated to ODN 8.0 last night in NEO.
post #19365 of 19378 Old 03-28-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I've noticed TWC prices vary from area to area. I have a DTA in a bedroom - it used to be $1.50 but some time ago it went up to $4.00 for some reason. An HD Cable Box is $11.25 right now.

It kinda astounds me that Spectrum only offers a DVR that only records 30 hours of HD which is nothing by todays standards. I wonder if they're planning on offering an Enhanced DVR and/or Whole Home Service in the future?

I have no use for a DVR that small. My 6-Tuner Arris records about 150 hours (1TB), and my Tivo records 300 hours. No way would i be able to settle for Spectrum's offering. They can't possibly think this is a good idea, and does not attract new customers compared to their competition.

Hi Randy,

Spectrum may allow you to keep your existing six tuner box, maybe not. You would need to contact your division to find out that information. With regards to the boxes. Spectrum plans a World Box that will eventually bring back the Whole House DVR. The Navigator Guide will run on those boxes initially, and will gradually be transformed to Spectrum's cloud-based guide. This guide will be cloud-and server based, not box-based. The functions on your box such as the clock, will all be a part of the on-screen guide experience.

Older boxes will also be migrated to the new guide over time. The guide will be a streaming channel application service, so it won't take up box memory. The new World Boxes are being deployed in some Texas markets as a test run. Unlike TWC legacy WHDVR, you will be able to pause all over the DVR World Boxes, not just the receiver's only like current TWC WHDVR configurations.

Satch

Cisco 9865HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #19366 of 19378 Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just posted the following at http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...p/131500#M7944.

On Demand messed up by ODN 8.0
We were recently upgraded to ODN 8.0.0_23.
The free Prime Time On Demand channel (401 in our market) and Kids On Demand (444) now are remapped to the the On Demand Portal (channel 500).
Typically, episodes posted on 401 & 444 show up within a day or two after their initial airing. The OD Portal and Search are often a WEEK or TWO behind in showing these episodes.
Some of the titles from Local On Demand (411), such as local sports, NEVER show up in the OD Portal.
Please correct whatever the issue is with OD Portal & Search lagging FAR behind the specific On Demand channels and, in the meantime, please restore channels 401 & 444 to their previous functionality.
Thanks
Chas Wms
Dayton OH

ODN 8.0.0_23, Arris DCX3600-M, Dayton Ohio
post #19367 of 19378 Old 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Where did everyone go? I've tried searching for Spectrum and haven't found anything.
phildaant likes this.
post #19368 of 19378 Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
Where did everyone go? I've tried searching for Spectrum and haven't found anything.
I'm still here, but it sure is quiet. When Spectrum is involved, I guess if you don't have anything positive to say, maybe saying nothing is best!
phildaant likes this.
post #19369 of 19378 Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM
BWX

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'll say something. Spectrum SUCKS! Just as bad or worse than TWC! Bahh.... same POS company.
phildaant likes this.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #19370 of 19378 Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
I'll say something. Spectrum SUCKS! Just as bad or worse than TWC! Bahh.... same POS company.
But but but Spectrum's TV ads say "Spectrum. Re-defining what a cable company can be".

So i have a customer that recently moved to a neighborhood 10 miles from his previous one. It's in a different TWC/Spectrum territory so he had to turn in his nice 6-tuner 1TB Arris Enhanced DVR since it won't work in his new neighborhood.

So he goes to his new local Spectrum office and discovers that the only DVR they offer is a crappy little 2-tuner unit that only holds 17 hours of HD programming ! His old Arris DVR held 150 hours, but they don't offer this now that they're Spectrum. Horrible.

I'm going to help him get a Tivo Bolt or Roamio of some sort if he insists on staying with Spectrum (he likes their internet). His other options are U-Verse TV (which sucks) or maybe DirecTV (which is actually pretty good, cheaper price and their Genie DVR is excellent).

I'm still on my legacy TWC TV plan with the Arris 6-T Enhanced DVR and they insist that if it fails they will replace it with the same model, even though they don't offer it to new customers.

I don't understand why they are not offering a 6-tuner Enhanced DVR or a Whole Home DVR to new customers, when all their competition has much better DVRs now.

phildaant likes this.

Randy
post #19371 of 19378 Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But but but Spectrum's TV ads say "Spectrum. Re-defining what a cable company can be".

So i have a customer that recently moved to a neighborhood 10 miles from his previous one. It's in a different TWC/Spectrum territory so he had to turn in his nice 6-tuner 1TB Arris Enhanced DVR since it won't work in his new neighborhood.

So he goes to his new local Spectrum office and discovers that the only DVR they offer is a crappy little 2-tuner unit that only holds 17 hours of HD programming ! His old Arris DVR held 150 hours, but they don't offer this now that they're Spectrum. Horrible.

I'm going to help him get a Tivo Bolt or Roamio of some sort if he insists on staying with Spectrum (he likes their internet). His other options are U-Verse TV (which sucks) or maybe DirecTV (which is actually pretty good, cheaper price and their Genie DVR is excellent).

I'm still on my legacy TWC TV plan with the Arris 6-T Enhanced DVR and they insist that if it fails they will replace it with the same model, even though they don't offer it to new customers.

I don't understand why they are not offering a 6-tuner Enhanced DVR or a Whole Home DVR to new customers, when all their competition has much better DVRs now.

Losing my 6-tuner DVR was what stopped me end of last year from considering a "Spectrum" plan instead of staying with my "TWC" plan. I had the technician over last week for some connector replacements and he said Spectrum now has a 4-tuner DVR (at least in SoCal). That would be sufficient for me if the HD is big enough (nothing recorded in SD anymore). I have not found anything about this on the TWC/Spectrum site and not going to call until my next outrageous price increase.

/Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #19372 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Losing my 6-tuner DVR was what stopped me end of last year from considering a "Spectrum" plan instead of staying with my "TWC" plan. I had the technician over last week for some connector replacements and he said Spectrum now has a 4-tuner DVR (at least in SoCal). That would be sufficient for me if the HD is big enough (nothing recorded in SD anymore). I have not found anything about this on the TWC/Spectrum site and not going to call until my next outrageous price increase.

/Dan
I have the Spectrum201 DVR with 4 tuners and 1TB hard drive. It responds faster than my former Cisco DVR The only downside for me is that it doesn't have a display for clock/channel. See https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont..._Datasheet.pdf for the specs.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by tmpoint; 07-28-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Additional info
post #19373 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpoint View Post
I have the Spectrum201 DVR with 4 tuners and 1TB hard drive. It responds faster than my former Cisco DVR The only downside for me is that it doesn't have a display for clock/channel.
No display at all? How do you tell what channel you're on?
post #19374 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
No display at all? How do you tell what channel you're on?
Most channels display their name in a corner of the screen. And you can always use the INFO button on the remote to display the banner.
phildaant likes this.
post #19375 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Most channels display their name in a corner of the screen. And you can always use the INFO button on the remote to display the banner.
Still annoying though.

Interesting. Charter branded their own DVRs? What are they based of originally? Or is it really its own? Also, is it stable? I don't like Arris/Motorola's unstable cable boxes. Does it use Navigator, iGuide, etc.?

Last edited by phildaant; 07-28-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #19376 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 117
Quote:
Still annoying though.

Interesting. Charter branded their own DVRs? What are they based of originally? Or is it really its own? Also, is it stable? I don't like Arris/Motorola's unstable. Does it use Navigator, iGuide, etc.?
It's a Technicolor box carrying a Spectrum logo. Technicolor recently acquired Cisco's "Connected Devices" business unit, which includes STBs and DVRs. Even my somewhat old Cisco 8640 DVR, after recent upgrades, now displays the Technicolor logo during boot rather than the old Cisco logo.

Not complete by any means, but the lineage for Technicolor and Arris (the two largest STB/DVR suppliers) for the brands we've seen most here in the US...
  • Scientific Atlanta >> Cisco >> Technicolor
  • Jerrold >> General Instrument >> Motorola >> Arris (Arris also recently acquired Pace, a UK STB provider with limited exposure in US )
RandyWalters and phildaant like this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 8.0.0_21

Last edited by jcalabria; 07-28-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #19377 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Still annoying though.

Interesting. Charter branded their own DVRs? What are they based of originally? Or is it really its own? Also, is it stable? I don't like Arris/Motorola's unstable. Does it use Navigator, iGuide, etc.?
It's been very stable for me and I do a lot of recording (sometimes I use all 4 tuners). It uses Navigator just like the Cisco box I replaced.
post #19378 of 19378 Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's been very stable for me and I do a lot of recording (sometimes I use all 4 tuners). It uses Navigator just like the Cisco box I replaced.
Ah, maybe I will get that for the next DVR when this old Arris DCX3510M DVR break or die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page