Need HD Recording with No Subscription - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have OTA HD I don't have cable or satellite and need a way to record programs in HD. I was thinking of getting the Tivo HD only to find out they want a subscription to be able to use the thing which I fell is unnecessary. All I want to be able to do is set the date and time of the program like a vcr and record in HD I don't need to pause live TV or have it record for me. Does anyone have any products they can recommend? Not real concerned with cost as long as it is some what reason and there is not monthly service fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Sony DHG-HDD500 or 250, or LG 3410A.

Or, if you've got a Tweeter nearby, see if they've got any demos of the HP units for sale. They're usually going for around 700 bucks, but they've got, like 1 HD tuner and 2 SD ones, and, I think, at least a 250gb hard drive. They have to get their guide info over the internet.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Sony DHG-HDD500 or 250, or LG 3410A.

Or, if you've got a Tweeter nearby, see if they've got any demos of the HP units for sale. They're usually going for around 700 bucks, but they've got, like 1 HD tuner and 2 SD ones, and, I think, at least a 250gb hard drive. They have to get their guide info over the internet.

Getting their guide info on the internet is fine I just don't want to have to pay monthly for that. If I call Tweeter will they know what I'm talking about, when you say demo do you mean like a display model sitting on the floor or they only got a limited number of these things to sell?
post #4 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I just called tweeter no one seems to know anything about the HP one you mentioned, do you have a model number or a link so I could give them a little bit more information about what I'm talking about. One of their guys recommend a Sony ADR HX 715 but it only have a 160 GB harddrive and he said they don't make a bigger one.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Sony unit only records in SD.

I just looked it up, and it's the Hewlett - Packard z558. It has 1 OTA ATSC tuner, 2 NTSC tuners and a 300 GB hard drive.

Yeah, they should know, since they sold the thing. Probably got some clueless salesperson. My local one had one on the shelf, and someone else here got one from there awhile back. I think it's classified as a "digital entertainment system". You can look it up on the net too, if you want to see what it is. It's basically a PC built into a standalone-type unit that uses Microsoft. It has a DVD recorder too.

Of the 3 (4) units I mentioned, I'd probably go with one of the Sonys. In fact, I actually have the DHG-HDD500. I know there are some on ebay.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the great info the last guy I talked to at Tweeter said that he thinks they only sold the HP Recorder in there Las Vegas store which I think is a bit crazy but whatever. He also recommend the Sony DHG-HDD500 so I will be looking into it on ebay and the rest of the net thanks for your help.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know there are some guys here who are going to be selling their units and getting the new TiVo ones. Check the DHG-HDD dedicated thread here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&goto=lastpost.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another option is a D-VHS VCR. Most of them require an HDTV or STB with firewire output in order to record, but if you have that it's a great solution. I have 2 of the Mits 2000U's and they work fine with regular S-VHS tapes.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot about that. I know that at least one of the JVC models has a built-in ATSC tuner.

Or a PC setup, for that matter.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Hi, Yeah I'm interested in some sort of DVR for Digital, HDTV, Analog via QAM, without any costs expect the hardware, and the ability to export via firewire to the computer, can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks & have a wonderful day.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 AM

Just get a USB 2.0 HDTV tuner and record directly to your PC. There's an entire section in the forums on the Artec, Fusion, OnAIr, etc. I personally have the OnAir GT. On it, you can record OTA stuff and then you could find a satellite unit that outputs widescreen through the S-video and record from say a Dish box in through the S-video/L/R inputs.

Oh, one more thing...it even does QAM but not at the same time as the OTA HD...only one antenna input.

Clint Roberts
post #12 of 27 Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 AM

post #13 of 27 Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintroberts View Post

Just get a USB 2.0 HDTV tuner and record directly to your PC. There's an entire section in the forums on the Artec, Fusion, OnAIr, etc. I personally have the OnAir GT.

Agree. I have the original OnAir USB HDTV (bought like a couple years ago) and it's worked great. If your hdtv can handle dvi or dvi->hdmi or vga or whatever, then you're good to go. I plan on getting one of the new sony 1080p's (40v2500) when available w/in days and it should take a dvi->hdmi doing 1-1 pixel mapping at 1080p.

Why pay for a separate dvr when a pc can do it all at just the inexpensive cost of one of these tuners. You can schedule recordings, time-shift and so forth. HD stuff is saved as a transport stream and you can play back and edit and whatever.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi, if I get a cable card from comcast, will this mean I will get guide info for the cable channels as well? Then I can use this for recording discovery HD channel programs with season pass functionality, for example?
post #15 of 27 Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post

Hi, if I get a cable card from comcast, will this mean I will get guide info for the cable channels as well? Then I can use this for recording discovery HD channel programs with season pass functionality, for example?

That depends. Guide information is only supported on bidirectional ("two way") CableCard devices. All of the products mentioned in this thread are unidirectional, so they have no way to query and retrieve guide information from the cable provider. Hence, you get no guide information unless the product has some other source (like the Internet) for it.

The Tivo Series3 HDTV DVR is a unidirectional CableCard device, but Tivo seamlessly integrates comprehensive guide information using either a broadband Internet (i.e. wireless) or dial-up connection. The Tivo Series3 functions in many ways like bidirectional device with guide information, but it is simply a unidirectional device that is seamlessly integrated with the Internet. A Windows Vista Media Center PC w/ unidirectional CableCard slots will function in much the same way. The greatest limitation of unidirectional operation is the inability to access video-on-demand (VOD) content.

The first standalone bidirectional consumer products are probably 12-18 months off.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That depends. Guide information is only supported on bidirectional ("two way") CableCard devices. All of the products mentioned in this thread are unidirectional, so they have no way to query and retrieve guide information from the cable provider. Hence, you get no guide information unless the product has some other source (like the Internet) for it.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I'm running a Mitsubishi LT-46231 with Cablecard (unidirectional) and getting TV Guide on Screen over Comcast here in Chicagoland , although it took a while to get it set up and running. The TVGOS data is carried over a local PBS station. I then record HD progams to my Toshiba Symbio.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

I have three setups for recording HD. All three don't require a subscription.

The first is the Samsung SIRT-165 OTA receiver hooked up to a MITS 20000u DVHS deck. Perfect timer recordings and channel listings via PSIP OTA program listings. You probably can get both for around $400 on ebay.

The second is FusionHDTV tuner card in my PC.

Third is a Toshiba Symbio DVR and DVHS deck hooked up to a Toshiba TV w/firewire. This has the TVGuide system.

Of the three, the first is the most consistent and probably the easiest, but is OTA only.
post #18 of 27 Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I'm running a Mitsubishi LT-46231 with Cablecard (unidirectional) and getting TV Guide on Screen over Comcast here in Chicagoland , although it took a while to get it set up and running. The TVGOS data is carried over a local PBS station. I then record HD progams to my Toshiba Symbio.

The point is that the program information on CableCard products isn't coming from the cable company. It's coming from another source. In Tivo's case, it's delivered using the Internet. For TVGOS, it is delivered by broadcast stations that were paid to carry it.

In your case, Mitsubishi paid to license the TVGOS software and the associated data, which is carried over broadcast stations in most major markets. It's not available in many smaller markets and [no longer available in] some larger markets.

Future bidirectional CableCard products coming in 2008-2009 will pull their guide information straight from the cable company. They won't rely on program information from the Internet or some local broadcaster.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In your case, Mitsubishi paid to license the TVGOS software and the associated data, which is carried over broadcast stations in most major markets. It's not available in many smaller markets and [no longer available in] some larger markets.

In which larger markets is it "no longer available"? I was not aware of this at all. I read the HD and DVD recorder threads pretty regularly, and of all the people from all over the place using TVGOS, I have never heard anyone ever mention this.

There are some people who can't get it directly using a cableCard, but it's still "available" in their area through other methods and from other sources (if that's what you mean.)

I just can't recall ever hearing of it being completely pulled out of a large market anywhere, though. If so, I really am curious to know which. It's possible that I missed something.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Bottom line is that one does not need a two-way cablecard or a subscription service to get guide information. A one-way cablecard with TVGOS works just fine. PSIP also works for OTA programming. FusionHDTV gets it from the internet.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In which larger markets is it "no longer available"? I was not aware of this at all. I read the HD and DVD recorder threads pretty regularly, and of all the people from all over the place using TVGOS, I have never heard anyone ever mention this.

See the TVGOS thread in the RPTV forum.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

See the TVGOS thread in the RPTV forum.

EGADS ! I can't sift through all of that! You'd have to point me to something more specific.

There was someone normally from our Sony thread near the end who told of WBBM here in Chicago cutting out their TVGOS transmission. But it's still available on two or three other channels here, and most people's units automatically switched over. Or else they were able to find a way to finagle the guide channel listings so that they could get it. Or were able to "force" the host channel, and get it to stick (according to Spiff's "FAQS"). Or else they just got it OTA. Anyway, I know at least one person said they were getting it from WBBM again, but it could have just been listed in his service menu erroneously for some reason, because I think he was the only one.

As far as the Toshiba displays with built-in TVGOS, yeah, that's a pretty well-documented, known problem with them. The early Sharp LCD's that had it were like that, also. I think I might've heard of a plasma or two with it, too. But that's the manufacturer of the display's fault, not the host channel's or TVGOS's. They just didn't implement it right or something.

Without any definite posts or something, all I can do is try to read the thread a little at a time. I was aware of that thread, and checked it out awhile back for some reason or other, but I had completely forgotten about it since.

Oh, and dc10forlife - not sure if the Fusion is like this, but don't forget the Microsoft-based units that get it from the internet, like the HP and Sony "entertainment centers", and the LG SD DVR/DVD recorder that was out a couple of years back. Also, from what I've read around here and experienced myself first-hand with my Accurian tuner (and the USDTV one I had briefly), the PSIP time that station's send out is notoriously unreliable and is usually off by a few minutes. Consider yourself lucky there! (Although, if it's "consistently" off, I suppose you can easily make the adjustment.) But I will say that like you, I have units with TVGOS (3, actually), and they've pretty much always worked great.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...Also, from what I've read around here and experienced myself first-hand with my Accurian tuner (and the USDTV one I had briefly), the PSIP time that station's send out is notoriously unreliable and is usually off by a few minutes. Consider yourself lucky there! (Although, if it's "consistently" off, I suppose you can easily make the adjustment.) But I will say that like you, I have units with TVGOS (3, actually), and they've pretty much always worked great.

I noticed that on the samsung DTB-H260F STB.

What's with that time error ? Is that the OTA stations' way of discouraging time shifting and commercial skipping ?
post #24 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconn2 View Post

Why pay for a separate dvr when a pc can do it all at just the inexpensive cost of one of these tuners. You can schedule recordings, time-shift and so forth. HD stuff is saved as a transport stream and you can play back and edit and whatever.

Because when you're paying 16¢ per kwh, you don't want to keep a PC on 24/7.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #25 of 27 Old 02-01-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

PCs also have sleep and hibernate. Solutions like MyHD can reliably wake up, record, and sleep again unattended. I'd be glad to have 16¢/kWh. My 200%-300% of baseline is up to 32¢/kWh!!!

- Mike
post #26 of 27 Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Anyone looked at the Mediaready 6000 for HDTV recording?
post #27 of 27 Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco View Post

Anyone looked at the Mediaready 6000 for HDTV recording?

Don't think these have shipped yet.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page