8300 drive not working...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a TW customer in Shreveport, LA. I had one CSR tell me that the SATA port on my SA 8300 HD DVR is turned on, and another tell me that it isn't so I decided to try for myself. I had a Buslink 400GB external drive that I wanted to try. It has ports for SATA, Firewire, and USB. It can be connected either of the 3 ways. I got my eSATA/SATA cable. Unplugged the DVR, plugged in the drive, made sure that power is on, and plugged in the DVR. It booted, no format screen, nothing to indicate that it found the external drive. So I looked at the DIAG screen.

I have Passport Echo v# 2.5.066

Under Feat. Auth. screen it says:
SATA: Yes (No check) Dunno what "No check" means.

Reset info screen says:
No valid reset recorded. Does this mean that it has never completed rebooted?

DVR Info screen says:
Storage Devices = 1
Capacity = 148.9GB

SATA screes says:
Authorized

It looks like SATA is turned on, but that my drive is not being found on boot. (I've booted 4-5 times). So I gave up and unplugged the drive from the SATA port. I immediately got a message that "The External Drive is not connected. Re-connect the drive and reboot". So I did that. Still nothing. It appears from that error screen that the DVR knows that the drive is there. But from the DVR Info screens it looks like the drive is NOT there. Perhaps the DVR doesn't like the Buslink drive?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

David Killeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I respectfully suggest you repost in the 8300/SATA thread. You will get more views and have a much better chance of getting a reliable answer.

Cheers, Dave
post #3 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I saw that, but thought that the post would get lost. Still, you're right. I didn't see a way to delete this thread and I don't want to double post.

Would a mod please delete this? I'll post it up where it belongs.

David Killeen
post #4 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry about it, it will scroll off and get archived. If you don't get a response in the other thread, just post a followup.

AVS is kind of funny compared to other forums in that individual threads like this one don't get many views and often don't get answers. There are so many threads that new ones tend to scoll off the front page rather quickly and folks just don't seem to see them. Even though the other thread is huge, that is where the action is, so that is where folks go for answers.

Cheers, Dave
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKilleen
I'm a TW customer in Shreveport, LA. I had one CSR tell me that the SATA port on my SA 8300 HD DVR is turned on, and another tell me that it isn't so I decided to try for myself. I had a Buslink 400GB external drive that I wanted to try. It has ports for SATA, Firewire, and USB. It can be connected either of the 3 ways. I got my eSATA/SATA cable. Unplugged the DVR, plugged in the drive, made sure that power is on, and plugged in the DVR. It booted, no format screen, nothing to indicate that it found the external drive. So I looked at the DIAG screen.

I have Passport Echo v# 2.5.066

Under Feat. Auth. screen it says:
SATA: Yes (No check) Dunno what "No check" means.

Reset info screen says:
No valid reset recorded. Does this mean that it has never completed rebooted?

DVR Info screen says:
Storage Devices = 1
Capacity = 148.9GB

SATA screes says:
Authorized

It looks like SATA is turned on, but that my drive is not being found on boot. (I've booted 4-5 times). So I gave up and unplugged the drive from the SATA port. I immediately got a message that "The External Drive is not connected. Re-connect the drive and reboot". So I did that. Still nothing. It appears from that error screen that the DVR knows that the drive is there. But from the DVR Info screens it looks like the drive is NOT there. Perhaps the DVR doesn't like the Buslink drive?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

David Killeen
David,

I'm sure Passport is different, but even with the recommended power and bootup procedure as documented in the SARA thread, if your drive is still attached (powered off), with the DVR on just try cycling the power on your external drive. With my first attempt(SARA) a message was displayed indicating the drive was recognized and would work with my 8300 DVR. I'm not saying the same simple procedure will work with Passport, but it can't hurt to try. :D

Sometimes the simplest method works the best!

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr
David,

I'm sure Passport is different, but even with the recommended power and bootup procedure as documented in the SARA thread, if your drive is still attached (powered off), with the DVR on just try cycling the power on your external drive. With my first attempt(SARA) a message was displayed indicating the drive was recognized and would work with my 8300 DVR. I'm not saying the same simple procedure will work with Passport, but it can't hurt to try. :D

Sometimes the simplest method works the best!

WOOO-HOOO

That's just what it needed. I unplugged my SATA drive (got a message about drive not connected) plugged it back in and got the "do you want to format" screen. So far, no stutters, drop outs, etc. And now I should have 70+hours of HD recording space. :eek:

Hmmmm spoke too soon. NO buffer during live TV. Is this the "Buffer Issue"? I used the search function and got so many responses to a "buffer issue" without really saying what the issue is.

Thanks again redjr

DKilleen
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKilleen
WOOO-HOOO

That's just what it needed. I unplugged my SATA drive (got a message about drive not connected) plugged it back in and got the "do you want to format" screen. So far, no stutters, drop outs, etc. And now I should have 70+hours of HD recording space. :eek:

Hmmmm spoke too soon. NO buffer during live TV. Is this the "Buffer Issue"? I used the search function and got so many responses to a "buffer issue" without really saying what the issue is.

Thanks again redjr

DKilleen
Yes. My theory is that the software doesn't create buffers on the external drive when it formats it. Never heard anyone refute it, but it's just conjecture. If that's the case, seems like it would be an easy bit of code to add to "Mystro", or whatever the universal SA8300 programming software will be called.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you ended up needing only a couple of views after all to get an answer. :)

Too bad you've now run into the "trick play" problem some Passport users suffer with. :(

Cheers, Dave
post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose I can live with it. (Looks like I'll have to.....for a bit anyway) The external drive does provide a tremendous amount of storage and I don't watch that much live TV anyway.

Thanks again to all those that helped get this external drive project working.

DKilleen
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page