SA8300HD reverting to 480i - HELP!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, this one is driving me insane.

I have an 8300HD hooked up to a Panny plasma via HDMI with Cox Cable. Every time I turn off my display, the STB reverts to 480i and I have to do the setup wizard all over again which is annoying as all hell. I called Cox support and they basically said I was out of luck and would have to set it again every time (big surprise there).

I've been searching for a solution to this for over an hour now. I've found several instances of other people having the same problem but not a single solution.

Can anyone help or at least point me in the right direction?

If it makes any difference:

* I have 1080i, 720p, 420p widescreen, and 420p standard selected in the wizard
* Auto-DVI/HDMI selected in Picture Format in settings

Let me know if any other details are needed as I'm not sure what's pertinent here.

Thanks in advance!
Groov
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooviemann1 View Post

I have an 8300HD hooked up to a Panny plasma via HDMI with Cox Cable. Every time I turn off my display, the STB reverts to 480i and I have to do the setup wizard all over again which is annoying as all hell. I called Cox support and they basically said I was out of luck and would have to set it again every time (big surprise there).

I've been searching for a solution to this for over an hour now. I've found several instances of other people having the same problem but not a single solution.

Let me know if any other details are needed as I'm not sure what's pertinent here.

Thanks in advance!
Groov

Do you have your 8300HD set to turn to an HD channel when you power it up? If so, then what you are experiencing is just a glitch in the 8300HD. If you have your box set to start up on an HD channel, it will only output in 480i on start up. You can get around this by either cycling through the Stretch/Zoom modes (# key), or you can set up your box to start up on a non-HD channel. If your problem has nothing do with your box starting up on an HD channel, then I really have no idea what the problem could be...possibly a faulty box.

post #3 of 25 Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Groov

I had this exact same problem. When I called Time Warner they told me to reboot the stb. After the reboot this problem went away.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I friend of mine with cablevision had the same problem. Nothign worked. He traded in the box and the new one is fine.

who knows what that means.

But if all else fails worth a shot...
post #5 of 25 Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think I figured out a way to trick the STB into behaving and want to share it with the world because I am ecstatic.

I finally got fed up with it and stole the component cables from my DVD player and was watching TV for awhile because I planned on going to get another component cable tomorrow to hook up the STB. The I realized that my Panny only has two component inputs and my DVD player and Xbox 360 are already using them.

I then figured I'd just have to deal with it and plugged the HDMI cable back without touching any of the STB settings. Now it works beautifully.

So here are the steps I took (I think these are right):

1. With display and STB turned on, unplug HDMI cable from STB
2. Plug component cable into STB and display
3. Switch Picture Format in STB settings to Pass Through
4. Make sure everything is working fine with the component cable
5. Make the switch back to HDMI while everything is still turned on
6. Enjoy the lack of annoyance

I'd be interested to hear if these steps work for anyone else or if it was just a fluke. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions (as useless as they were :P).

Groov
post #6 of 25 Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Situation:

New TV w/HDMI (Sony 46V2500), new 8300HD DVR box.

Also have another TV for 2 years with DVI driving from HDMI on 8300HD DVR box, which (was) working fine. Occasionally, about once every 2 months or so, it would lose it's mind and I'd have to go thru the HD Setup.

Hook up new TV and experience the "always reset to 480i" problem. Search the forums and talk to local installers.

BTW, it's TWC in Austin, and it's running Sara 188 level.

Overwhelming response is to use component. Don't want to do that (besides just hard headedness), I've got it all installed and cable management, hung up on the wall at 7 feet, so would be a major PIA.

Went thru EVERY combo of Auto, Fixed, Up1, Up2, simultaneous power up and down, sequenced power up and down (TV first and last, first and first, last and last, last and first), etc.

Tried the trick given, in having the STB power up to SD channel, didn't help.

Side bar: I've spent a lot of years designing and debugging H/W, S/W and uCode, and this SciAtl code SMELLS the worst I've ever seen. This goes back to the other boxes also (8000 DVR, etc.). Besides, just out and out stupid bugs, there doesn't appear there was ever an overall Design and Architecture mapped out.

In the middle of the innumerable permutations, I got it to "stick" (i.e. work thru power up and downs) by default power up to SD channel AND UpConvert 2 (720p mode). And still using "simultaneous" power on/off, using the single STB remote programmed for both STB and TV.

But I wasn't satisfied.

Also, given all the other responses, I firmly convinced it's really just horribly squirrely code in the STB. I really believe if everyone who's experienced this problem actually got on forums and posted, we would have at least one person swear it started working when their wife started the kitchen microwave at the same time he plugged the HDMI cable in!

Squirrely code will basically work ALMOST randomly, and therefore each person can have a different experience that works for him, but not others.

Meanwhile in the middle of this I realize the older STB (but running same level Sara) picked up the same "affliction" as I had had the new TV hooked to it via HDMI while playing with the TV (and waiting for wife to finish off her recordings on the 8000 DVR). So now my DVI to HDMI connected set is having the same problem, which it never had before!

All of this has CONVINCED me that the order that things are connected and power up and the initial settings (Auto, Fixed, etc) FOR THE FIRST TIME are critical.

After that all bets are off. And it stores results between power on's and doesn't clear flags even when going to another TV, etc.

So, dear reader, if you stuck thru this note, here is what (so far) is working for me.

- Plug everything up using HDMI.
- Set default power on channel to SD channel (not sure if necessary, but I'm tired..).
- Set Picture Format to Auto.
- Turn off TV
- Do a Soft Boot on the STB (I did it via the Vol- and Vol + at the same time and hold and hit Info), SHOULD be the same thing as power off the STB and pull the plug for 15 seconds.

It's working for me. I have the STB remote do the "simultaneous" power on (and off) of both STB and TV.

It's worked thru multiple power cycles over multiple days (knock on wood).

Remember this is TWC-Austin, 8300HD DVR, running Sara 188 level.

Good luck.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 03:06 PM

I had the same issue, with cablevision and a Sony Bravia LCD and SA 8300HD. Every time I would turn off the box, it would revert back to 480i.

The way I solved it was

1. I hooked it up using RCA jacks and the P/y/? jacks - blue/green/etc.
2. Went through setup and set to 1080i only
3. replace HDMI jack and turned on with both hooked up.
4. Removed the P/Y/? jacks

It all worked great after that..odd but somehow this combo worked for me...alwasy 1080i

Let me know if it works for others.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM

I had this same problem with the 8300 conected through HDMI as well. I tried rebooting and I even tried replacing the box with 2 brand new ones and it still did it while connected through HDMI. I switched to component just to compare picture quality and I didn't notice any difference plus it got rid of the "480i flashback" issue. Have it set on "Pass Through" and haven't had one problem since.

My experience is with a Sony KD-34XBR970 and Cox Communication's SA8300HD. I'm using Monster M1000CV component cables now with no issues and was using a Monster M1000DAV HDMI cable while experiencing the issues.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested to hear if these steps work for anyone else or if it was just a fluke. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions (as useless as they were :P).

Groov

Groov,

Worked great. I spent all weekend messing around with the HDMI / reboots / hardboots / reformats / etc. Was going to return the box but tried your steps. Basically I ran setup again using component, set to pass through as you said, then plugged in the HDMI. Now my HD stations are free from the 480i lockdown.

I now have the problem of "Snow" when I switch inputs on my tv back to the 8300. Have to tune to an SD channel then back to the HD channel to fix that. Either way, its a great trade-off from the 480i lock, which I can live with for a while.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM

Here's what I did to fix this annoying problem - similar to Grooviemann's solution but I didn't like the idea of connecting/disconnecting cables with stuff turned on:

1) Turn both STB and TV off
2) Disconnect HDMI from STB (left it connected to TV)
3) Connect Component cables to TV and STB
4) Turn TV on and select Component input
5) Press and hold info-guide on STB and run Set-up wizard
6) Power on STB. Confirm Picture Format in settings is Pass-thru.
7) Check channels, HD, etc. Turn TV off. then back on. and try switching to any other HDMI inputs (this step is to just confirm that the STB doesn't reset which it shouldn't since it's connected via component)
9) Turn off STB and TV
10) Connect HDMI to STB and TV while leaving Component connected
11) Turn on TV then STB and select the HDMI input on the TV.
12) Again repeat step 7 and confirm box does not reset itself.
13) Turn off TV/STB and disconnect component cables.
14) Turn on TV, then turn on STB. Double check everything should be working and reset problem should be resolved.

This worked for me and I thank you all very much for this thread to help figure it out!
post #11 of 25 Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 AM

The Comcast SA8300HD/DVR took a 480i firm setting after I moved the unit from my Phillips 42" LCD 1080p to determine the digital channel PQ on my old my Sony CRT. When I switched the unit back and reran the setup for 1080i, it kept reverting to 480i after power down. I performed the following and it seems to be holding at 1080i.

1) Shutdown both STB and TV. Disconnect power cable, HDMI and coaxial cable
from STB.
2) Connect component and audio cables from TV to STB.
3) Connect coaxial input to STB and plug in power cord. Let STB reboot.
4) Turn on tv, switch to Component INput and run setup menu for widescreen tv
- defaults to 1080i.
5) Turn on STB, check the settings for PASS Thru, verify 1080i display.
6) Connect HDMI cable, swap iTV inputs from Component to HDMI. Verify 1080i.
7) Switched format settings to FIXED instead of Auto/DVI. I prefer this to prevent
"hand shake" issues between the STB and Phillips TV.
8) Disconnect component cables. So far, so good.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Just got my 8300HDC (it's brand new). I'm a bit frustrated as to why I don't have nor can get into the "setup" menu by pressing "guide + info" as posted by many.

My sevice provider is TW and it's hooked up via HDMI to HDMI port #1 onto a Toshiba Regza.

Any help, guidance would be appreciated....
post #13 of 25 Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 PM

vrflyer i have the same problem, I got 8300HDC today from TWC and can't get into the setup wizard.

Not sure if anybody ran into this, I am using HDMI to my TV, and every time I switch a channel, for example from 720p to 1080p, the picture refreshes twice before it gets displayed in the right format, is this normal? I have the Pani TH-50PZ700u, is this the Cable box trying to adjust the format or the TV? (oh yeah, if I switch among channel with the same resolution, I don't have this problem).

BTW I found the below on a different site, I am gonna give it a shot to see if it works

Posted by: Steve at August 10, 2006 5:57 PM

Scientifc Atlanta 8300HD and samsung HDS4253 Plasma tv

you can get these 2 working together, problem is that after rebooting the tv, it doesn't see the HDMI signal. I have not solved that yet.
Note that the only connnections in my tests were the HDMI cable between the cablebox and the Samsung 4253.

The below sequence does work with the above caveat. If i solve it (with Samsung) i will post the answer here.

1. Turn on Samsung TV, set input as HDMI
2. Turn off Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
3. Press INFO+GUIDE buttons on 8300HD (you will see nothing on screen)
4. Press A B B A B on cable remote (8300HD HD Setup Wizard will now appear). By doing this I think you set the 480p mode ,so the wizard will appear on screen.
5. Step through Wizard - I was told by Samsung the 4253 supports 480p and 1080i (so these are the ones i selected)
6. You must then press EXIT on the 8300HD remote, if the wizard quit out on you prior to pressing EXIT, start again (step 2)
7. After pressing EXIT, turn on the 8300HD
8. The picture should appear

Unfortunately now, when i turn off the Samsung TV and turn it on again, it cannot see the 8300HD and i must start again at step 2
every time i turn on the tv. hat f'ing sucks. But I do note that the 8300HD does remember my choices
for screen choices (480p and 1080i). So the
8300HD is remembering the settings, but on reboot of the TV, it seems the TV does not accept the signals.
Cablevision (NY) says it has something to do with copy protection on the Samsung, the person speaking was working from a
script (IMO). They said Cablevision gives out composite cables as they know they work, and they have seen lots of issues
with HDMI, and they don't support it. Seeing the posts in this forum confirms that.
I am continuing my calls to Samsung on Monday when their 2nd tier support comes in.

The above will work 95++% of the time, but it sometimes becomes erratic (i have witnesses!).
Again, the only cable i have between the HD8300 cablebox and the Samsung 4253 is the HDMI cable
post #14 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 AM

Well I found out the problem really lies in the embedded "Navigator/Mystro" software, so I reverted to using component vid. cables and I'm able to exclude 480i/480p and up-convert to 720 & 1080 any way I want.

Honestly that's pretty dumb, since I wanted to go the HDMI route (less cabeling, etc...)
post #15 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrflyer View Post

Well I found out the problem really lies in the embedded "Navigator/Mystro" software, so I reverted to using component vid. cables and I'm able to exclude 480i/480p and up-convert to 720 & 1080 any way I want.

Honestly that's pretty dumb, since I wanted to go the HDMI route (less cabeling, etc...)

vrflyer, to clarify, so by just using component instead of HDMI you were able to get to the setup using "Guide+Info" because I tried component cable and I still can't get the setup page.

Any help?
post #16 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danillll View Post

were able to get to the setup using "Guide+Info" because I tried component cable and I still can't get the setup page.

Any help?

Sorry, I should of specified this a bit further...

The current Navigator/Mystro setup doesn't respond nor has any use from the "Guide+Info" buttons. I hope this clears it up a bit.

Now once you do use the component cables, and are able to view watch your TV, simply press the MENU on your remote scroll to the RIGHT and find DEVICE (I'm not at home, going from memory here). Once in the DEVICE sub menu, you'll find the screen/dimensions settings (what to allow/disallow) & info, etc...

EDIT: Here's the link to the right thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723830
post #17 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM

vrflyer,

got a solution for you using HDMI.

with HDMI connection, Turn off tv + DVR
Turn on the DVR
Then
Turn on the TV

now you can go to settings -> Display and set any resolution you want using HDMI
post #18 of 25 Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM

Danillll, I tried that as well (once)...

Once the TV is turned off for some (long) period it reverts back to the same ol' song & dance.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to chime in here, I had the same problem with my SA8300 and a Samsung 32" LCD. Thank goodness for AVS!

I fixed it simply by doing this:

1) Hookup component cable from SA8300 to display
2) Run SA8300 HD setup routine, select 1080i, unselect all others
3) Turn on SA8300 > settings > display output > Fixed
4) Connect HDMI cable, remove component cable

This has worked even after swapping out four different LCD's (I've been testing a bunch of displays); the SA8300 has kept the 1080i setting through all this.

So to make a long story short, set HD resolution with component cable, then hookup HDMI.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Is there any other fix for this? I tried each of the methods above, but am unable to make any work. To top it off, when I run through the mode selection setup with the component video connected, the screen is magenta and only allows me to select 480i. Any clue as to why?
post #21 of 25 Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 AM

JimmyTop's instructions worked like a charm. Give em a try!
post #22 of 25 Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jimmytops directions worked on mine too. I love hdmi but it causes a lot of unnecessary issues like this and there's no excuse for it.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Yep, props to jimmytop, worked like a charm.

Having to crawl back there and unplug/replug stuff was a pain, but way better than the daily 480i aggravation.
post #24 of 25 Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Groov

Problem: Cable box keeps reverting back to 480i when both it and TV are turned off (yep, this is still a problem in Sept 2009)

I tried everything in this thread and this was finally what worked for me. Now I have HDMI running and outputting the proper signal for all my channels, both HD and SD.

For the record:

Panasonic TC-P42S1
Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC (Comcast)

Thanks everyone!
post #25 of 25 Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 PM

When the TV is off, just quickly press the Vol+ and Vol- keys on the box. This will display the message "HdSr." Hit the vol+, vol-, ch+ and ch- keys until you find the right setting. Each key will display a different option, either 480i, 480p, 720 and 1080, so find the right one then hit the Select button. Done!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page