New TV w/HDMI (Sony 46V2500), new 8300HD DVR box.
Also have another TV for 2 years with DVI driving from HDMI on 8300HD DVR box, which (was) working fine. Occasionally, about once every 2 months or so, it would lose it's mind and I'd have to go thru the HD Setup.
Hook up new TV and experience the "always reset to 480i" problem. Search the forums and talk to local installers.
BTW, it's TWC in Austin, and it's running Sara 188 level.
Overwhelming response is to use component. Don't want to do that (besides just hard headedness), I've got it all installed and cable management, hung up on the wall at 7 feet, so would be a major PIA.
Went thru EVERY combo of Auto, Fixed, Up1, Up2, simultaneous power up and down, sequenced power up and down (TV first and last, first and first, last and last, last and first), etc.
Tried the trick given, in having the STB power up to SD channel, didn't help.
Side bar: I've spent a lot of years designing and debugging H/W, S/W and uCode, and this SciAtl code SMELLS the worst I've ever seen. This goes back to the other boxes also (8000 DVR, etc.). Besides, just out and out stupid bugs, there doesn't appear there was ever an overall Design and Architecture mapped out.
In the middle of the innumerable permutations, I got it to "stick" (i.e. work thru power up and downs) by default power up to SD channel AND UpConvert 2 (720p mode). And still using "simultaneous" power on/off, using the single STB remote programmed for both STB and TV.
But I wasn't satisfied.
Also, given all the other responses, I firmly convinced it's really just horribly squirrely code in the STB. I really believe if everyone who's experienced this problem actually got on forums and posted, we would have at least one person swear it started working when their wife started the kitchen microwave at the same time he plugged the HDMI cable in!
Squirrely code will basically work ALMOST randomly, and therefore each person can have a different experience that works for him, but not others.
Meanwhile in the middle of this I realize the older STB (but running same level Sara) picked up the same "affliction" as I had had the new TV hooked to it via HDMI while playing with the TV (and waiting for wife to finish off her recordings on the 8000 DVR). So now my DVI to HDMI connected set is having the same problem, which it never had before!
All of this has CONVINCED me that the order that things are connected and power up and the initial settings (Auto, Fixed, etc) FOR THE FIRST TIME are critical.
After that all bets are off. And it stores results between power on's and doesn't clear flags even when going to another TV, etc.
So, dear reader, if you stuck thru this note, here is what (so far) is working for me.
- Plug everything up using HDMI.
- Set default power on channel to SD channel (not sure if necessary, but I'm tired..).
- Set Picture Format to Auto.
- Turn off TV
- Do a Soft Boot on the STB (I did it via the Vol- and Vol + at the same time and hold and hit Info), SHOULD be the same thing as power off the STB and pull the plug for 15 seconds.
It's working for me. I have the STB remote do the "simultaneous" power on (and off) of both STB and TV.
It's worked thru multiple power cycles over multiple days (knock on wood).
Remember this is TWC-Austin, 8300HD DVR, running Sara 188 level.