post #271 of 645 Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

The DCH100 and 200 were released on Comcast systems?

Any comments on it?

Those are standard definition non-dvr boxes. Probabaly won't get much discussion in an HD DVR thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 645 Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper&ginger View Post

I have recently tried to connect a Comcast Motorola DCH 3416 DVR to my Onkyo HT-SR800 Home Theater and then to a Panasonic TH-42PZ700U HDTV. The Comcast DVR is connected to the Onkyo with a HDMI cable and the HDMI out from the Onkyo goes to the Panasonic TV HDMI input. Audio connections are with a Optical digital cable connecting the DVR to the Onkyo.

Everything works fine till I shut off all the components. I then get a error code on the Comcast DVR which looks like a flashing dVI or dU1 code. After a while the Comcast DVR freezes and will not work till the box has been unplugged and the power is off for a minute and then repower the system. This problem keeps repeating itself.

I have tried various HDMI cables and changed the power cord, the power strip, the wall to Comcast coaxial cable. The DVR boxes have been changed three time and am on my 4th DVR. The Comcast tech support has worked for several hours with no avail.

Where is the problem? I was told that this may be an HDCP error between the Motorola and the ONKYO. Can anyone share some light or does anyone have a similar problem? Would appreciate any experts comment and advise.

Did you get any answers to your question? I'm having the same problem. DCH6416 HDMI going through an Onkyo SR505 receiver to the HDMI input of the tv. If the Onkyo is turned off, the display of the DCH6416 will flicker slightly. After a few hours, the DCH will freeze. It takes a power off reset to get it going again. I've tried it with a DCT6416 and also the DCH6416 and the same thing happens. As a work-around, I'm leaving the Onkyo receiver turned on all the time and I just turn down the volume when we're not using it. The receiver puts out heat, so I would rather turn it off. Have you had any luck with the problem?
post #273 of 645 Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i think i was having the same problem you two are. please refer to page 8, specifically posts #229,230,233, and 234. this may fix your problem. it worked for me.
post #274 of 645 Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjer View Post

i think i was having the same problem you two are. please refer to page 8, specifically posts #229,230,233, and 234. this may fix your problem. it worked for me.

Thanks for the tip. I read the posts and it looks like we're talking about the same problem, but I normally I leave the stb running all the time and turn the receiver and TV off when not using them. I'm not at home right now, so I can't try it out, but do you think that turning the TV off first and then turning off the receiver will work? Or do you think the stb needs to be turned off as well?
Thanks, again
post #275 of 645 Old 01-17-2008, 04:57 PM

from what i found the problem isn't the TV nor the receiver but the STB. anytime you switch sources or turn off components always start with the stb first. the stb sends the signals to the receiver, then receiver to the tv. so i power off or swich starting with the STB to stop the signal there, then switch components or turn everything off. i was having occasional hand shake issues and from what was suggested has completely fixed my problem. i guess hdmi is so new and has that hdcp protocol and its causing lots of problems for brand new receivers, tvs, and stbs. the hdcp protocol starts with the source, the source verfies the signal. go to wikipedia and look up hdcp. i had to do tons of research to get a grasp on all this. i know its tedious to power off and switch components in a certain order but it's working for me. hope this helps, i understand your frustrations.
post #276 of 645 Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Before the Onkyo receiver, I had 4yr old Technics av receiver that worked just fine, but it didn't handle HDMI. The Onkyo allows us to switch the digital video and digital audio with ONE Button! That part works well. We can switch between the stb and dvd and cd all digital by pressing a single button on the Onkyo remote which also handles all the dvr and tv functions for the stb. So, one remote, one-button switching, all is good. The only problem is that the receiver can't be turned off. That's the only thing that seems to bother the stb. If the receiver is turned off, then the stb locks-up within an hour or two. I guess that's not too bad compared with your problems of not being able to switch between devices without problems. I will leave the receiver turned on all the time just like the stb. Let's hope that an upgrade to the stb will eventually smooth things out.
post #277 of 645 Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM

the receiver passes through the stb signal to the tv. you will have to have the receiver on to pass the signal.
post #278 of 645 Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed Comcast randomly dropping the audio for a few seconds?
post #279 of 645 Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
I've noticed that on my TiVo Series 3, but not on the Comcast DVR, for the same programs. That indicated a signal problem. In my case, it was too strong of a signal. Removing a signal amp did the trick.
post #280 of 645 Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

I have seen missing audio but a couple of times I have had the background music but no dialogue. Go figure that one.
post #281 of 645 Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been getting a lot of audio dropouts on our local HD PBS station, but they are for a second or less, usually. On Discovery HD, I have been getting momentary freezes of the picture.
post #282 of 645 Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Yes. Lots visual artifacts, also.

Last few weeks, on and off.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #283 of 645 Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does anyone know if the new Motorola DCH 3416 has the type of copy protection that put's "Flags" on PPV events and then deletes them automatically? The old Moto box didn't but this one has cablecards and downloadable copy protection so I'm a bit concerned. Has anyone experienced an automatically deleted PPV with the DCH 3416?

MINI REVIEW: If indeed the new DCH Motobox doesn't employ the copy protection flags it will be quite an upgrade from the old Motorola DVR I had. That one barely worked and the remote wouldn't work from where I sit. So it kinda sucked. I had to lean way forward out of my chair to make the remote work! Not relaxing!! This new one is much more responsive and works well even with the cabinet door closed. Much better IR which makes the entire experience 100% better. Overall a huge improvement in looks and the Hard Drive is much quieter too. It also seems to run a little cooler than the old box which is always welcome. So I'm happy. Even if it does delete my PPV's.

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #284 of 645 Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The successor the the DCH series was announced today -- the DCX series. The primary differences are (1) support for 1GHz channel delivery, (2) MPEG-4 AVC support, (3) Dolby Digital Plus support, and (4) improved MoCA implementation. Should ship in volume next fall.

Press release:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...eLocaleId=2026

Very nice looking box. That link does not give any specifics as to how large the hard drive is. My DCH 3416 has a measly 160 gigs. Too bad Comcast is usually two years behind in using a "current" model.
post #285 of 645 Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM

I just switched from a DCT6412 to a DCH3416 HD-DVR. The DCT6412 would allow me to use the rear AC power input outlet as an input to power a floor lamp that I have placed behind my DLP in the corner of the room. There is a menu setup option for the cable box to set the rear AC outlet to be either "switched" or "unswitched". I have setup my new DCT6412 to the same menu option to have it "switched" so that my lamp will turn on or off when I turn the DCH3416 box on or off. For some reason the DCH3416 will not work as expected for it will not turn off my lamp when the box is turned off or turn the lamp on when I turn on the DCH3416. I called Comcast and of course they had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anybody else have a Comcast DCH3416 that works when the rear AC input power outlet is set to be switched and it turns off or on the device you have plugged into the DCH3416 when you turn the DCH3416 off or on? Or is this problem just a firmware [software] update I can only hope will one day happen?
post #286 of 645 Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post

I just switched from a DCT6412 to a DCH3416 HD-DVR. The DCT6412 would allow me to use the rear AC power input outlet as an input to power a floor lamp that I have placed behind my DLP in the corner of the room. There is a menu setup option for the cable box to set the rear AC outlet to be either "switched" or "unswitched". I have setup my new DCT6412 to the same menu option to have it "switched" so that my lamp will turn on or off when I turn the DCH3416 box on or off. For some reason the DCH3416 will not work as expected for it will not turn off my lamp when the box is turned off or turn the lamp on when I turn on the DCH3416. I called Comcast and of course they had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anybody else have a Comcast DCH3416 that works when the rear AC input power outlet is set to be switched and it turns off or on the device you have plugged into the DCH3416 when you turn the DCH3416 off or on? Or is this problem just a firmware [software] update I can only hope will one day happen?

If you look next to the outlet on the back you will notice it says 'unswitched' & unfortunately that's how it stays. The option is still there in the software but it is not possible on the newer DVR's. Blame Moto for that one.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #287 of 645 Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

If you look next to the outlet on the back you will notice it says 'unswitched' & unfortunately that's how it stays. The option is still there in the software but it is not possible on the newer DVR's. Blame Moto for that one.

Damn! That stinks!!!

Thanks for the info. I did not notice that when I was setting it all up. Figures the Comcast CSR's did know know the answer. Thank you for responding.
post #288 of 645 Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Does anyone know if the new Motorola DCH 3416 has the type of copy protection that put's "Flags" on PPV events and then deletes them automatically? ...

I'm sure the DCH series has the ability to expire recordings. Probably just depends on whether or not your local cable company has PPV shows flagged to expire. I wouldn't think swapping boxes would matter, but you never know
post #289 of 645 Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last week I picked up a dch3416 box. Twice now it's burned me by refusing to record because the disk was 100% full. Once when it has a 30 minute show and once when it had 2 hours on it. After unplugging the box it eventually showed 10% full the 2nd time. Does a full reset take care of the problem? I have firmware 34.16.
post #290 of 645 Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleschuck View Post

Is there a 'brightness' feature on the DCH3200? I'd like to dim the clock on the display and can't find anything in the menu.

Thanks.

Im wondering the same thing, but I dont think so
post #291 of 645 Old 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM

I have had Comcast TiVo on a Motorola DCH3416 since mid-Dec 2007. I am happy to have my TiVo interface back, but the DVR has bugs. The HDMI interface flakes out a few times a week. I get sound but no picture. Due to this problem I have hooked up the standard coax cable as a backup so I can navigate and "restart the DVR" from the Settings menu. This problem usually happens when I switch from HiDef to StdDef channels, which requires the box to switch from 1080 to 480 or 720. One time I had to do a full power-down because DVR restart didn't work. It is annoying, but never looses programs or fails to come back. Get to fixing this Comcast! (Posted: Feb 11, 2008)
post #292 of 645 Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebarjay View Post

I have had Comcast TiVo on a Motorola DCH3416 since mid-Dec 2007. I am happy to have my TiVo interface back, but the DVR has bugs. The HDMI interface flakes out a few times a week. I get sound but no picture. Due to this problem I have hooked up the standard coax cable as a backup so I can navigate and "restart the DVR" from the Settings menu. This problem usually happens when I switch from HiDef to StdDef channels, which requires the box to switch from 1080 to 480 or 720. One time I had to do a full power-down because DVR restart didn't work. It is annoying, but never looses programs or fails to come back. Get to fixing this Comcast! (Posted: Feb 11, 2008)

Have you tried pressing the 'format' button on the front of the cable box? I've found this to be a problem on my Comcast/Tivo also & it's because it sets it to 480p for SD channels, pressing the button once & changing to 480i brings picture back.

By the way there are a few threads geared more toward the Comcast/Tivo on this forum.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #293 of 645 Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have the Motorola DCT3416 and was looking to replace it with the DCH3416.
I would like to know if Comcast is allowing the DCH3416 to use the MoCA "follow me" service with other boxes (DCH100), so that you can access DVR recorded programs while using the DCH100 in another room.

I called Comcast, and they have both boxes, but don't know if the MoCA is turned "on" or not.
post #294 of 645 Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

That service is not available from Comcast anywhere (yet).
post #295 of 645 Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

I have the Motorola DCT3416 and was looking to replace it with the DCH3416.
I would like to know if Comcast is allowing the DCH3416 to use the MoCA "follow me" service with other boxes (DCH100), so that you can access DVR recorded programs while using the DCH100 in another room.

I called Comcast, and they have both boxes, but don't know if the MoCA is turned "on" or not.

I have the DCT3412, DCT3416 and the DCH3416 in different rooms and wish I could watch something recorded on one of the units in a different room.

Currently I have to physically move the entire box over to the other room in order to do that, which sucks big time (hope you hear me loud and clear Mr. Roberts .... sir).

BTW, I don't like the newer DCH3416 because it does not have a red recording light indicator, so you never know if it came on to record when the TV set turned off, plus it still has the same occasional glitches of the DCT3416 and DCT3412 (like delayed remote responses and the annoying "DVR is Full" error).
post #296 of 645 Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

...BTW, I don't like the newer DCH3416 because it does not have a red recording light indicator, so you never know if it came on to record when the TV set turned off...

It actually has a working REC light, but the latest fw (18.34) has a bug that keeps it dark. It is quite annoying.
post #297 of 645 Old 02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

It actually has a working REC light, but the latest fw (18.34) has a bug that keeps it dark. It is quite annoying.

Oh good .... then there is hope that my service provider (Comcast) is working hard to resolve the FW issue as we speak this very moment
post #298 of 645 Old 02-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Oh good .... then there is hope that my service provider (Comcast) is working hard to resolve the FW issue as we speak this very moment

I sure hope so. Maybe I'll call them and tell them to hurry up
post #299 of 645 Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

That service is not available from Comcast anywhere (yet).

Wow. That's a shame that Comcast doesn't allow the MoCA "follow me" service on the DCH boxes.
That was the main reason I wanted to change out my current DCT boxes.
If they don't offer it, than way does Motorola have it all over their web site?
http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...V_solution.asp
The only 3 DCH boxes to support it are the DCH3416, DCH3200, and DCH100.
post #300 of 645 Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

Wow. That's a shame that Comcast doesn't allow the MoCA "follow me" service on the DCH boxes.
That was the main reason I wanted to change out my current DCT boxes.
If they don't offer it, than way does Motorola have it all over their web site?
http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...V_solution.asp
The only 3 DCH boxes to support it are the DCH3416, DCH3200, and DCH100.

The answer probably is that Motorola and Comcast are different corportions.

Motorola builds boxes for lots of different service providers, including Comcast.

Comcast provides the actual cable service and decides which boxes and what features they wish to offer.

BTW, does anyone know what non-recording SD setup boxes Comcast is usually handing out for additional digital outlets these days? They gave me a small compact Moto DCT700 the other day for a 4th bedroom.

Although the DCT700 is pleasantly small and compact, it offers no current channel display on the front like the newer (and larger) Moto DCH70 and DCH100 units.

Anyone from Comcast ever gotten a DCH70 or DCH100 yet?

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...700_settop.asp

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...h70_settop.asp

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...100_settop.asp
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page