Hi, I have been having a serious problem with my Directv/Tivo HR10-250 lately. I am trying to desparately to find a solution.
Problem: The remote control's interaction with the menuing system has gone haywire. Almost every command I enter on the remote takes anywhere from 1 to 8 or 9 keypresses to take effect. It doesn't matter which menu I am in, or whether I am pausing, playing, whatever. If I am in a menu like the list or guide, and I hit the up/down keys, it will turbo scroll all the way to the top or bottom. The only way to stop the scroll is to hit the arrow right and hope it stops somewhere near what you want. This is incredibly frustrating. Whenever it is like this, the power light turns to yellow. It will often stay yellow for 10-15 minutes afterward, as if it were always busy. Otherwise, the player/recorder works great, as it always has for me.
Debugging: Here is what I have tried/determined so far.
1) It is not the remote(and I use the standard tivo remote that came with the box). I took a remote from another tivo I have and tried it. The behaviour was the same.
2) I have not added any new devices to the room. No new phones, game systems, remotes, or anything.
3) If I use the controls on the front of the Tivo, it works just fine.
4) I reset the remote channel to 0, but it has had no effect. From these first four items it seems to me the issue is clearly not the remote. It seems it must be either the software or hardware that directly affects the infrared remote handling.
5) I am running software version 6.3b.
6) I reset my suggestions and todo lists and have no season passes. I had tried clearing those out, but it made no difference.
7) There are breif moments when it works fine, but they tend to only last for a few minutes and they don't happen very often. Maybe once a day at best. It seems to me that this must indicate a hardware issue -- after all, wouldn't software create a more consistent breakage?
I hope someone can help. I have not called DTV for help yet. I strongly suspect that they will have me clear my hard drive, that this will make no difference, and then there suggestion will be for me to send back the $300 unit I bought from them less than two years ago, so that they can replace it with a leased box on a two year commitment that they still charge me box fees, dvr fees, etc for and, quite frankly, is not as good of a unit as the HR10-250 has been. Does anyone have any ideas?