Comcast Motorola HD DVR HDMI Problems? Firmware upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 02-05-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just stopped in today to pickup a Motorola HD DVR with a HDMI output from Comcast. The Motorola HD DVR that I returned only had a DVI output so I thought it would be a smart move especially since I get addtional hard drive space.

However, the customer service tech told me that they are having problems with the HDMI ports on the Motorola's. They said they were aware of the problem and would have a fix for it, I am assuming a firmware upgrade, sometime the middle of this month.

Has anybody else heard of this or are having troubles with their HDMI ports on these boxes?

Is anybody aware of an anticipated firmware upgrade or whatever to fix whatever the problem is on these boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 AM

I have the 6416 III HD DVR box from Comcast and I'm not having any HDMI issues. Did they mention what the exact problem is?
post #3 of 66 Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing Comcast would say is that the port sometimes will not function properly and that I would have to use another means of connecting to my TV. This was the person at the front desk at Comcast Customer Service where you exchange your boxes or make payments, I don't think they have a clue what is exactly wrong. Just said it would take until middle of this month to fix.
post #4 of 66 Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 AM

Hmmm... Thats weird. I have the 6416 hooked up to my 57" Mitsubishi DLP with a Monoprice HDMI cable with no problems at all.

If I had to guess they don't know what they are talking about.
post #5 of 66 Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
ed1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don't know if this is helpful, but here's what I learned last week. I had a Motorola 6400 non-DVR box hooked up with a DVI-HDMI cable plus a separate sound connection. The box had only DVI output, not HDMI. Suddenly while watching, it began to behave poorly - picture full of artifacts, guide not displaying properly, time reset to midnight. Soon after, no picture at all was displayed, though the sound continued.

Comcast service technician who arrived the next day said that the current firmware upgrade had broken the support for DVI cables. He provided and hooked up component cables and the video immediately appeared. A subsequent call to Comcast customer service confirmed they are aware of this problem and that Motorola was working on a solution - but no date for a fix could be provided yet.

Being unhappy with the picture quality with component cables, I returned the box to Comcast and obtained a DVR box with HDMI output - Motorola 3616 (I think). After hooking up with HDMI cable, I am now pleased with picture quality (as I was with the DVI-HDMI cable). Also love the DVR capability.

Bottom line - the current problem is with DVI cable support, not HDMI. Who knows when it will be resolved. . .
post #6 of 66 Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 AM

I have been using the HDMI connections for a few months with no major problems (occasional issues). Now, within the last week, I will be watching shows and I will get some pixelated breakup followed by audio drop out for 3 to 4 seconds. It is happening frequently. For example, I recorded the TV show 24 the other night and this problem occured about 15 times during the hour. I missed a lot of Jack Bauers witty one-liners because the audio dropped out.

I know this has to be some firmware update issue, because I have two comcast DVR's and this problem is occuring on both boxes.

Has anyone else had this issue recently?

I found this post on the internet which describes my exact issue:

"Anyone else here experience pixelation and audio cut-out on your recorded programming?

Mine does it for a few seconds at least once a minute and it's really starting piss me off. I don't remember it doing this before last month and I have read that replacing the box may not help. Perhaps it has something to do with the HDMI connection? I need to try a hard reset, but that ****s up the guide for like an hour.

Not exactly Com-****-castic..."
post #7 of 66 Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 PM

I just wanted to add that it is an issue with the HDMI, not just the DVI output. I just received a phone call from a buddy who traded in his old DVI output Motorola for an HDMI output 6412, which has the latest firmware (16.20). He previously had no problems with DVI output to the tv, but he now can not get a picture over HDMI.

I had thought it might just take a change in the service menu under "additional HDMI settings," but the sub-menu is no longer available under the new firmware.

His component cables work fine, so I suspect that unless the Comcast-provided HDMI cable is faulty, the problem lies with the firmware and how it affects the HDMI-out ports as one of the previous posters believed. Sucks that I don't have a better answer for my friend, other than wait.
post #8 of 66 Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to pickup a comcast dvr. I think I'll be getting the moto 6412 because my friends who have dvr got that one. Right now, I have a non-dvr HD moto 6200 hooked up dvi>hdmi to the panasonic 42px60u.

Is there really a problem with the 6412's hdmi? HDMI is the only open input left on my tv. If there is a problem, then I'll have to buy a component switch, which I don't want to do.
post #9 of 66 Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 AM

I have a Moto 3416 (firmware 16.20) and can't connect through HDMI, just get a green screen with audio.
post #10 of 66 Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Since my original post, I have installed the new Motorola DVR and have been using it on a daily basis. I can say that I am not having any issues with my HDMI connection as I was concerned with when I originally created this thread.

However, talking with a Comcast Tech that came to install some new outlets at the house yesterday, they do indicate that some of the receivers have problems and may need to be updated. When I finally picked up my receiver, I made sure they gave me a brand new one to ensure that I had the latest factory firmware. So far, so good....
post #11 of 66 Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM

There really is a problem with the HDMI port and FW 16.20. I've used HDMI since I first got the DVR and it worked for months without problem. Sometime after 16.20 came out it just stopped working. The strange thing is that it worked for a while with 16.20. Then one day, no more audio or video.

As mentioned by some else, "additional HDMI settings" no longer appears in the service menu. Also, in the diagnostics menu, the HDMI port is listed as "disabled".

This seems to be confirmed on wikibooks. The forum is preventing me from including a link, but if you go to wikibooks, search for "How to Use a Motorola DVR" and go to the Bugs section, you'll see a link for "The DVI or HDMI output works intermittently or not at all".

BTW, the "How to Use a Motorola DVR" guide on wikibooks seems to be the best place to find out which bugs affect which FW versions. Definitely worth checking out.
post #12 of 66 Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmchenry View Post

There really is a problem with the HDMI port and FW 16.20. I've used HDMI since I first got the DVR and it worked for months without problem. Sometime after 16.20 came out it just stopped working. The strange thing is that it worked for a while with 16.20. Then one day, no more audio or video.

As mentioned by some else, "additional HDMI settings" no longer appears in the service menu. Also, in the diagnostics menu, the HDMI port is listed as "disabled".

This seems to be confirmed on wikibooks. The forum is preventing me from including a link, but if you go to wikibooks, search for "How to Use a Motorola DVR" and go to the Bugs section, you'll see a link for "The DVI or HDMI output works intermittently or not at all".

BTW, the "How to Use a Motorola DVR" guide on wikibooks seems to be the best place to find out which bugs affect which FW versions. Definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the input. I actually experience my first Motorola glitch last night. For some reason, I couldn't get any audio out of the cable. I had to reset the unit, then it worked but this just confirms my suspicion that there indeed are problems with the firmware which Comcast indicates are supposed to be fixed by the end of the month.
post #13 of 66 Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah, some people are able to work around the problem by turning the box and TV off/on in a certain order or by unplugging/replugging the cable. No luck for me though.

I hope you're right about "fixed by the end of the month". It's been longer than usual since the last firmware update.
post #14 of 66 Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM

I currently have the 6412 DVI DVR from Comcast. How much larger are the hard drives in the newer HDMI models? Or, which model should I ask for if I go in for a new one?
post #15 of 66 Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belusch View Post

However, the customer service tech told me that they are having problems with the HDMI ports on the Motorola's. They said they were aware of the problem and would have a fix for it, I am assuming a firmware upgrade, sometime the middle of this month.

Has anybody else heard of this or are having troubles with their HDMI ports on these boxes?

Is anybody aware of an anticipated firmware upgrade or whatever to fix whatever the problem is on these boxes?

Yeah, I'm having the HDMI problem with my 6412. If I put my set on the HDMI input, I get about 10 seconds of picture & sound, then the green screen. While fiddling in the User Settings, a message popped to the effect "HD Content protection of this display has been compromised...," whatever that means.

HDMI worked fine until sometime in October when the problem started out of the blue, I assume due to a firmware change. My area is using ver. 12.31, and from what I've found out, HDMI will not work at all with this version. I've tried the normal fixes such as turning the tv and cable box on/off and cycling inputs, but nothing works. I even thought it might be a handshake problem with my Sony SXRD, so I tried connecting my little Panasonic LCD, but the result is the same which pretty much confirmed to me it's a Comcast/Motorola issue.

I think Comcast is waiting on Motorola to issue the appropriate update to correct the problem.
post #16 of 66 Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post

Yeah, I'm having the HDMI problem with my 6412. If I put my set on the HDMI input, I get about 10 seconds of picture & sound, then the green screen. While fiddling in the User Settings, a message popped to the effect "HD Content protection of this display has been compromised...," whatever that means.

HDMI worked fine until sometime in October when the problem started out of the blue, I assume due to a firmware change. My area is using ver. 12.31, and from what I've found out, HDMI will not work at all with this version. I've tried the normal fixes such as turning the tv and cable box on/off and cycling inputs, but nothing works. I even thought it might be a handshake problem with my Sony SXRD, so I tried connecting my little Panasonic LCD, but the result is the same which pretty much confirmed to me it's a Comcast/Motorola issue.

I think Comcast is waiting on Motorola to issue the appropriate update to correct the problem.

My current version of firmware is 16.20. Looking at previous post, I was able to find some information how to check your version of firmware and what the latest revisions are and how to update your firmware. Check out this link, it won't give you the actual software as supposedly you are able to download the software with a hard reset of your current receiver. This has the instructions.....

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...e_and_Software
post #17 of 66 Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reifiedbeans View Post

I currently have the 6412 DVI DVR from Comcast. How much larger are the hard drives in the newer HDMI models? Or, which model should I ask for if I go in for a new one?

All you need to do is take your current DVI box to your local Comcast service center and tell them you would like to upgrade your box to the HDMI output. I believe it is model 3416 or 3412. I found these numbers on Motorola's site so don't hold me to them.

According to Motorola, these are pure digitial receivers. The hard drive capacity is a bit larger on these units than prior ones, I believe it is 160MG, instead of the 120MG. There is no charge to switch units. The HDMI units are brand new, at least that what was I was given, it hadn't been used before, so see if you can do the same. You just have to be persistant with them, they have them behind the counters unless they don't have them at all.

Here is the link to the Motorola site:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ds/DCT3400.pdf
post #18 of 66 Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The 3416 has HDMi/DVI handshaking problems too.
post #19 of 66 Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been meaning to get mine swapped but it's hard to take half a day off from work to wait for the cable guy. Comcast says they won't let me swap at the counter of the local office.
post #20 of 66 Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzpiano88 View Post

I have been using the HDMI connections for a few months with no major problems (occasional issues). Now, within the last week, I will be watching shows and I will get some pixelated breakup followed by audio drop out for 3 to 4 seconds. It is happening frequently. For example, I recorded the TV show 24 the other night and this problem occured about 15 times during the hour. I missed a lot of Jack Bauers witty one-liners because the audio dropped out.

I know this has to be some firmware update issue, because I have two comcast DVR's and this problem is occuring on both boxes.

Has anyone else had this issue recently?

I found this post on the internet which describes my exact issue:

"Anyone else here experience pixelation and audio cut-out on your recorded programming?

Mine does it for a few seconds at least once a minute and it's really starting piss me off. I don't remember it doing this before last month and I have read that replacing the box may not help. Perhaps it has something to do with the HDMI connection? I need to try a hard reset, but that ****s up the guide for like an hour.

Not exactly Com-****-castic..."

I also get the persistent audio drop outs. Whenever I turn on my tv and cable the audio and video is never in alignment. I have to change the channels for them to finally match up. When I first turn it on, I get picture, then a green screen, then black screen, then the actual picture (all w/i ~5 sec.).
post #21 of 66 Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belusch View Post

All you need to do is take your current DVI box to your local Comcast service center and tell them you would like to upgrade your box to the HDMI output. I believe it is model 3416 or 3412. I found these numbers on Motorola's site so don't hold me to them.

According to Motorola, these are pure digitial receivers. The hard drive capacity is a bit larger on these units than prior ones, I believe it is 160MG, instead of the 120MG. There is no charge to switch units. The HDMI units are brand new, at least that what was I was given, it hadn't been used before, so see if you can do the same. You just have to be persistant with them, they have them behind the counters unless they don't have them at all.

Here is the link to the Motorola site:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ds/DCT3400.pdf

+

the last 2 digits in the model number tell you the HDD size.

6200 no DVR
6208 80 GB HDD
6400 no DVR
6408 80 GB HDD
6412 120 GB HDD
6416 160 GB HDD
3400 no DVR
3412 120 GB HDD
3416 160 GB HDD
3432 320 GB HDD

The 6200 & 6208 have DVI
The 64xx phase 1 & 2 have DVI
The 64xx phase 3 has HDMI
The 34xx Phase 1 and phase 2 have HDMI

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #22 of 66 Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Glad I found this thread.

I have 2 3412 boxes from Comcast, I have it setup as DVR --> AV Receiver (hdmi 1.2) --> projector, all using only HDMI. They both were working fine although I was seeing intermittent reboots and lost recordings. I decided to call Comcast yesterday and the guy said they needed to send firmware updates to my boxes to fix the reboot problems.

Now I no longer get video through HDMI, just audio. When I first turn it on, the image appears for a few seconds and then goes out. I'm guessing the HDMI handshake failed. I called Comcast again and they said they put the "old" firmware back on my DVR to fix the reboot problem. Now I'm wondering of I had the new firmware with the hdmi fix but maybe it's still buggy and Comcast rolled me back to the old firmware. I think I'll try to exchange one box and see what happens. Thought I just share that with you guys if anyone is having the same problems.
post #23 of 66 Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taywu View Post

Glad I found this thread.

I have 2 3412 boxes from Comcast, I have it setup as DVR --> AV Receiver (hdmi 1.2) --> projector, all using only HDMI. They both were working fine although I was seeing intermittent reboots and lost recordings. I decided to call Comcast yesterday and the guy said they needed to send firmware updates to my boxes to fix the reboot problems.

Now I no longer get video through HDMI, just audio. When I first turn it on, the image appears for a few seconds and then goes out. I'm guessing the HDMI handshake failed. I called Comcast again and they said they put the "old" firmware back on my DVR to fix the reboot problem. Now I'm wondering of I had the new firmware with the hdmi fix but maybe it's still buggy and Comcast rolled me back to the old firmware. I think I'll try to exchange one box and see what happens. Thought I just share that with you guys if anyone is having the same problems.

When Using HDMI with the Motorola STB, you MUST connect them directly to the TV / Monitor / Projector. The HDMI signal does not work well with AV switchers or repeaters. They are looking into this issue, and hope to have some new HDMI Drivers placed in a future Firmware.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #24 of 66 Old 03-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

They are looking into this issue, and hope to have some new HDMI Drivers placed in a future Firmware.

Well, that future Firmware may have arrived. The blogger on this site emailed me that he just got their latest firmware and it's working. Big thanks to Gregg!!

http://ghelf.wordpress.com/
post #25 of 66 Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

When Using HDMI with the Motorola STB, you MUST connect them directly to the TV / Monitor / Projector. The HDMI signal does not work well with AV switchers or repeaters. They are looking into this issue, and hope to have some new HDMI Drivers placed in a future Firmware.

I don't agree with the word "MUST". I would agree that the HDMI signal MIGHT not work well with SOME AV switchers or repeaters. I have my Moto DCT6412 III connected to my HDTV (Samsung) through my AVR (Sony) and, so far at least, I've encountered no issues. Last time I checked the firmware version it was 16.20.
post #26 of 66 Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I should have said:

"You Should" not "MUST" Sorry!

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #27 of 66 Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I should have said:

"You Should" not "MUST" Sorry!

It's cool
post #28 of 66 Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 PM

I have the Motorola 3412 with HDMI output and everytime I change the A/V source on my Plasma tv to either watch a DVD or play Xbox 360 and then go back to watching Cable, the screen is always blank and I have to turn the HDTV/DVR box off and back on for the picture to appear on my plasma. Does anybody know what could be causing this issue?
post #29 of 66 Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDean30296 View Post

I have the Motorola 3412 with HDMI output and everytime I change the A/V source on my Plasma tv to either watch a DVD or play Xbox 360 and then go back to watching Cable, the screen is always blank and I have to turn the HDTV/DVR box off and back on for the picture to appear on my plasma. Does anybody know what could be causing this issue?

Are you using a HDMI Cable?

If so, then the connection is lost when you switch to another video imput, and it is unable to handshake upon switching back to HDMI input on the tv.

Thats normal. HDMI is not anywhere near 100% use yet.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #30 of 66 Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats normal. HDMI is not anywhere near 100% use yet.

I think I understand your point that this is a frequent problem, but I hope it's never consider "normal." It isn't, it's a big annoyance.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page