Thinking of switching from Comcast to Dish, how is the ViP622 DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went with Comcast almost 2 years ago because they were the only provider that had local HD channels. I'm getting tired of all of the Comcast DVR problems and the increasing costs so I'm thinking of switching to Dish. Dish has an impressive number of HD channels now and they finally eliminated the $199 DVR initial fee.

So what I'm wondering is how is the ViP622 DVR? I've used Dish DVRs in the past and I've been happy with the interface, I'm hoping they still have a good interface and are considerably more reliable than the buggy Moto 6412 I have. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have had the 622 for over a year now and I love it. It is pretty solid.

Rick R
post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

I have had the 622 for over a year now and I love it. It is pretty solid.

Rick R

Thanks for the feedback. The only problem now is I just found out that Dish doesn't broadcast ABC local channel in HD in Salt Lake City. Why in the world would they do the other channels and not ABC? I was just about to pull the trigger with the switch to Dish and now I will end up waiting.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I loved my ViP 622 until the 4.00 software upgrade came out.

Go to www.satelliteguys.us and "feel the love" for this particular release.

I've recently gotten 4.03 which fixes, or reduces the frequency of some of the worst bugs. But it's still worse than it was before the 4.00 release. Prior to 4.00 it was close enough to perfect that I would have been happy if they never released another upgrade.

That's the thing, you may love your HD-DVR today, but one crappy firmware release and you may find your box is now a total POS.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

It depends upon what comcast is doing in your area, it is quite likely that your comcast HD is better than what you will get on Dish. Depending upon your display type, resolution, and size, that may or may not matter a bunch.

Dave
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM

I love my VIP 622 DVR. I have seen other models at friend's houses and we all agree that mine works the best. There's still a few quirks that I dont like... the biggest being that if I am watching something that is being recorded and I am behind "Live TV" time, I cannot resume from where I left off if I switch away. The only way to do it is to pause and leave the PIP window open. A couple of times I have goofed and all of the sudden we are watching the 4th quarter of a game and everyone in the room sees the score even though we are watching the 2nd quarter.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 AM

I have the 622 and all I can really complain about is the audio is not in perfect sync with the video 50% (at least) of the time.

David
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geostrykyr View Post

I love my VIP 622 DVR. I have seen other models at friend's houses and we all agree that mine works the best. There's still a few quirks that I dont like... the biggest being that if I am watching something that is being recorded and I am behind "Live TV" time, I cannot resume from where I left off if I switch away. The only way to do it is to pause and leave the PIP window open. A couple of times I have goofed and all of the sudden we are watching the 4th quarter of a game and everyone in the room sees the score even though we are watching the 2nd quarter.

I am not at home so I can not verify this. However if you restart the show by hitting the DVR button twice and then selecting the show that you were recording and hitting resume, you will go to where you were watching before. If you just reenter the channel you were watching you will go back to the live channel.

I can not try this with all the combinations possible but it may require that you began watching the show you were recording by doing the same thing. That is hitting DVR twice and selecting the show and hitting start. This all requires that you have actually told the 622 to record the show and are not just backing up a live show.

Rick R
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 AM

Love my 622, great interface and its quick. No real complaints other than I wish I could stick in a bigger hard drive or transfer it to my PC but doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that. I don't know what bugs ppl get, a few times (maybe 4-5 in a year) I came home and turned it on and it gave me an error message saying data was corrupted and had to format the drive and to press OK but I said screw that and unplugged it. Booted up and worked normally I'm glad to say. Otherwise I'm completely happy with it. I had Comcast's HD DVR over a year ago and that thing was pretty quirky and had half the hard drive size of the 622, you basically can't keep anything on there. Neither is gonna hold a season's worth of 24 or whatever but the 622 has DOUBLE the capacity so thats the clear winner. Comcast HD was good and all the locals in HD was great.

Which reminds me, I do have a similar issue as you, I don't get FOX in HD in my area. Solution to that is an antenna, which works pretty good, theres potential for dropouts but its not that bad if you get a nice HD antenna. Of course if you have the roof mounted type, good for you !

Only problem is I want another 622 for my bedroom.... and then another for my HT room... ;-)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page