DVR without a subscription - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, does anyone know of a DVR that i can use without having to pay a monthly subscription? i dont have cable or DISH. Was looking into TIVO, but I don't really want to pay monthly for it. I'm basically looking for a hard disk recording solution that I can use like a vcr tape....i.e. set it to record at certain times when I am not home, and favorite programs when i want to. It doesn't need to be able to access programming info via the phone line or internet. would a tivo unit work like this if i get one without a subscription, or is the subscription required for even basic usage?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_seal View Post

Hey guys, does anyone know of a DVR that i can use without having to pay a monthly subscription? i dont have cable or DISH. Was looking into TIVO, but I don't really want to pay monthly for it. I'm basically looking for a hard disk recording solution that I can use like a vcr tape....i.e. set it to record at certain times when I am not home, and favorite programs when i want to. It doesn't need to be able to access programming info via the phone line or internet. would a tivo unit work like this if i get one without a subscription, or is the subscription required for even basic usage?

Jacob

Does it have to record in HD? I'm assuming yes, since you posted in the HDTV recorder forum.

Anyways, there aren't any HD-DVRs being made that fit that bill. You might want to look into getting a closeout Sony DHG-HDD250/500 or the LG-LST3410A DVRs. I don't know about the LG, but the Sony depends heavily on the TV Guide system and no one knows what's going to happen after the 2009 analog shutdown.

ft
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help. i guess it doesn't have to record in HD so long as i can still get OTA HD into my television. I'll check into the models you mentioned. thanks again.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Another HDTV DVR is the Mitsubishi HD-6000. Some dealers were selling new ones earlier this year in the $600 to $700 range, but I'm not sure if they still have any.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

thanks for the help. i guess it doesn't have to record in HD so long as i can still get OTA HD into my television. I'll check into the models you mentioned. thanks again.

checkout walmart for philips model DVDR3575H/37 $298.00
post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxman View Post

checkout walmart for philips model DVDR3575H/37 $298.00

It receives HD channels, but it always downconverts them to 480i, even if you are just watching it live.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jacob

With the switch to Mpg4 all the afore mentioned boxes will be obsolete soon. You should hold off awhile till things shake out a little more.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since the digital tuners in televisions are not able to be upgraded to MPEG-4, OTA broadcasts will remain MPEG-2 for a long time to come. That's not a reason to hold off on buying something that will work for recording off-air HD broadcasts.

The lack of available products that are currently in production is a much bigger concern.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page