Recording OTA HD using Dish/Panny - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2001, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope that someone would be willing to give me a hand on setting things up properly. I have no idea why I am unable to get the OTA HD stations through the Dish 5000 with HD modulator and Panny 51 STB. I currently have the antenna plugged into the antenna in on both the 5000 and the HD modulator. The stations come in nice and strong through the Dish 5000 alone, but will not come in through the Panny. I used the "auto" detect mode for channel setup. It only detected "channel 3" which is where the Dish 5000 is set to play through. I manually added the channels I get OTA to the STB, but they do not come thorugh, and the Panny says "Input Signal Not Found."

I'm having a wonderful time recording Showtime and HBO HD on the PV1000 through this set up, but the OTA stuff has thusfar eluded me. You guys generally have so much on the ball that I thought you could likely help where others fear to tread :-).

I think that I will never see
A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Would just record DirecTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2001, 11:38 PM
sr

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The antenna relay in the modulator has high loss. I have got around this by using a combiner with built-in amplifier from [url]www.system-high.com (Satellite TV, Installation Parts). Feed the OTA antenna signal and the channel 3 modulator output to the combiner inputs, and feed the combiner output to the DST50. The combiner has variable gain controls on each input leg. I adjusted the OTA leg for nearly minimum gain, and the channel 3 leg for maximum gain. I also installed a variable gain Radio Shack RF amplifier between the combiner output and the DST50. Now the DST50 switches channels more quickly. I assume this is because its getting a stronger signal and it doesn't have to work as hard to sync into a channel. I originally had an amplifier on the OTA antenna but found it was overloading the combiner input. It was a challenge tweaking everything but now channel surfing is a a lot easier. BTW, I experimented with the passive combiner that Dish Depot had, and I could not get it to work.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I had the same problem and Instead of combining the two I just use a Radio Shack 15-1957 remote controlled A/B switch. Also the 15-1957 has a handy little remote that works well. I programmed it into the pronto on both the dish and TU-DST50 screens and it works great.

Rick

RJW
Old 10-22-2001, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In order for the 5000 to pass the antenna signal to the Panny, you must select a channel that you have programed as over the air digital on the the 5000. John
Old 10-22-2001, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A few years ago this method was suggested to me by AVS member Richard Adams, and it still works like a charm, as long as all your local DTV stations are on the UHF band.

Buy the following parts from RS:
(1) 15-1237 VHF UHF Band Splitter
(1) 15-1144 Terminator
(1) 15-1170 Inline Amp
(1) Any high bandwidth F-Type splitter/combiner
(3-4) Short RG-6 coax cables

1) Run RF from DTV antenna into Band Splitter
2) Run UHF output from Band Splitter into one input of the splitter/combiner
3) Terminate VHF output from Band Splitter
3) Run 5000 HD Modulator output into Inline amp
4) Run Inline Amp output into other input of splitter/combiner
5) Run output of splitter/combiner into TU-DST DTV input

This will let the TU-DST50/51 see the 5000 output on ch 3 or 4 (which you select in the 5000 HDTV menu), and the local DTV stations will also be seen on their UHF channel number, unless you have the Channel Mapping option turned on in the TU-DST set up menu, in which case they will show up on the remapped channel number.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'