JVC HM-DH30000U won't work with Panasonic STB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2001, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Just received my US spec JVC HM-DH30000U. Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t get it to playback anything form Panasonic STB or playback tapes previously recorded from Panasonic/Dish combo. It will not even pass the information from the STB. When I record the information is passed. When I try to play back the recording it plays for a second and then stops the machine. Same drill with the previously recorded tapes. I am assuming this a copy protection issue. So much for a Panasonic alterative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2001, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nobody that I am aware of has been successfull in getting the JVC 30000 to play back through the Panasonic but it will play all tapes made with the HD1000. You must change the input from the i-Link input to one of the others, e.g. L-1. Then it will work just fine. Just take the video and audio directly from the 30000. It will also record from the Panasonic STB, but it is a little tricky. I suggest you look thorough the posts starting in April of this year. This topic was discussed in great detail.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2001, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally posted by trans_lux
When I record the information is passed. When I try to play back the recording it plays for a second and then stops the machine.
So you're saying that you can record a channel tuned with the TU-DST50/51? If so, then you're set--according to greakleak, you can watch anything it can record without recording it. Just plug in the analog HD outputs of the JVC VCR to your set and watch the output of the STB using it (or plug both its analog outputs and the STBs analog outputs into your set, if the set has more than one set of inputs and you don't mind using them this way).

If the stuff you're recording from TU-DST50/51 has copy-protection on it, which we've been assuming the DBS people weren't using yet, this won't work, since the VCR will have to image constrain it for outut though its analog HD connections. (You'll be able to watch it, it just at one quarter 1080i's image detail). Stuff being marked with copy-protection would explain why the deck won't give the video to the STB for display, though, if those STBs' DTCP authentication certificates have been revoked. But if copy-protection flags are in the MPEG-2, the TU-DST50/51s should, by rights, be image constraining the programming itself.

Speculation, speculation--it'd be nice to have some sort of DTCP/EIA-775-A/HAVi saavy network monitor hooked in so you could actually see what's going on. (I feel certain that they make these, or the software equivalent thereof, though I'm also certain they only sell them to DTCP licensees).

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2001, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Thanks Orio for the tip on switching the input off of the i-link/firewire. I was able to watch the Panasonic/Dish recorded tapes via the VCRs component output. I am also able to record brief periods of HDTV content from the Panasonic STB. Everything is very intermittent. I hope I can figure out a way to record from the Panasonic. I would also like to clarify that this is how I originally had everything hooked up and I’m still unable to see anything passed from the STB through the VCRs output.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2001, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To record from the TU-DST50/51 you must establish a bidirectional iLink connection first, and then not break it until recording is done. Establishing the connection can be tricky, involving unplugging both units from power, switching on and off, etc., until connection is made. At that point the JVC input will say "I-1" or "I-2" (or some higher number depending on how many different iLink devices it has seen before), and you should also see the video stream from the STB displayed through the JVC. You can then begin recording. In order to play back the tape you have to break the iLink connection by switching to another input like "L-1". Every time the link is broken you have to fool around to get it back.

Newer 51's are a little better at reestablishing connection, and will often reconnect immediately. Older 50's may not connect at all without a rom upgrade.

One other thing to note: in the Panny devices (STB's and recorders) the iLink is always active as long as they are plugged into the wall. Switching power off does not break connections. The JVC is different: it breaks iLink connections when power switch is off.

-Roger
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page