post #271 of 4820 Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by john07 View Post

Hey Guys - Any issues stacking a dvd player on top of the HD Tivo?

Would it be better to stack the Tivo on the DVD player or the other way around?

Thanks in advance,

John

It'd probably be safer to have the TiVo on top. It likely generates far more heat than the DVD player, and you'll want to have the top surface of the TiVo free and clear to allow the heat to dissipate from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4820 Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I have my S3 on top of a DVD player, and my S2DT under a DVD/VCR combo. I think as long as the DVD player is off most of the time, and doesn't generate any heat, it's probably not a big difference. Just don't put your S3 on top of your AV receiver I did that to my old replayTV for while, and was wondering why the picture skips a lot during the summer...
post #273 of 4820 Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
On "Manage My Account" webpage, the Settings of my DVR is "Transfers ALLOWED".

What does that mean?
post #274 of 4820 Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

On "Manage My Account" webpage, the Settings of my DVR is "Transfers ALLOWED".

What does that mean?

That means you can download recordings from the Tivo to your PC or Mac. It also allows you to transfer recordings from one Tivo to another (if you have more than one). More information -- and how to use it -- here:

TivoHD & Series3 MRV/TTG/TTCB: FAQ
post #275 of 4820 Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

If I buy an HD Tivo at 299, do I need to activate it within a certain time frame? I'd like to buy it now, but only activate service in March. Possible?
post #276 of 4820 Old 11-03-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

If I buy an HD Tivo at 299, do I need to activate it within a certain time frame? I'd like to buy it now, but only activate service in March. Possible?

You have seven days to activate service after you buy the box. Without service, you won't be able to record anything after seven days -- the box will only be useful as a tuner for live TV and you won't have any guide data.
post #277 of 4820 Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I know it won't record anything if not activated, but what I meant was will they charge me a "early termination" or "liquidated damages" fee like the satellite providers do if I get the box and not activate it within 7 or 30 days?

Is the box registered when you purchase it or can you start using it whenever you want?
post #278 of 4820 Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

Yeah, I know it won't record anything if not activated, but what I meant was will they charge me a "early termination" or "liquidated damages" fee like the satellite providers do if I get the box and not activate it within 7 or 30 days?

Is the box registered when you purchase it or can you start using it whenever you want?

Ahh, I see what you mean.

The box is not registered. You can sign up for service whenever you want. There is never a fee until you sign up.
post #279 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 06:20 AM

Not sure if this is possible, but here is my goal:

I just got the HD Tivo installed on FIOS. I would like to watch all my locals and premiums in HD.
Is there a way to relocate the local channels from the HD tier, 801-899, to appear in line with where the SD channels are.
For example:
HBO HD is 850- I'd like for it to appear in the listings with the other premiums in the 400s.
Any ideas?
post #280 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 AM

Sorry, no. Channel remapping is not supported by TiVo software.
post #281 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Well, I wanted to share my experience with the tivohd "official" expansion drive...hope this doesn't get too long!

I ordered one from the tivo site, as you all (probably) know, only one drive is supported for the tivohd, the western digital "dvr expander". Arrived okay, went to hook it up, and......nothing! The tivohd didn't see it at all. (by the way, I have already hooked up a different drive to my s3, that went flawlessly.)

So, I tried again, and this time, the thd (tivohd) just sat on the "welcome, powering up" screen. forever. Well, for at least 20 minutes. I think I let it go 30 minutes the first time. When I disconnected it, the thd came up fine. So, I called tivo tech support - after all, this is the "officially supported" drive for the thd, right?? Yes. So, after working with them for an hour or so, we determined that the esata cable was bad. Actually, I guess I determined it...since I happened to have another cable on hand, it was my idea to swap the cable to see if that was the problem. After all, the drive was powering up (light was on and drive was spinning).

Here's issue #1 - I wanted to try the cable because apparently, if there's a problem with the dvr expander drive that you order from *Tivo*, apparently YOU have to ship your drive back to them, then they have to send it to WD to get repaired...! C'mon...if they "support" the drive, then they should send you a replacement, stat, and you can then use the same box (with a pre-printed/pre-paid label!) to send back the bad one, and let them deal with it!

So, then I said I just wanted a new cable. Tivo said they don't have any, I have to call WD. Okay, so I call WD. They said it's not an oem drive, I have to call Tivo, and no, they won't send a replacement cable, but I can buy one!!! The WD guy (from India...) was kind of snooty about it, frankly.

Incredible...so, I call tivo back...they said (to their credit), okay, we'll reimburse you so you can order the cable from them (and at my suggestion that I deserved something more for this hassle, they also credited me with one month's service). I suggested that maybe they should keep cables on hand, since they "officially" support this drive - and that I could have gotten a (somewhat equivalent?) cheaper drive elsewhere, of course! I bought THIS ONE because of the "official" support! Then I had to call WD back to order the cable.

So, after around 2 hours of phone nonsense, I guess it's all okay now (hopefully my cable is on the way), but it's too bad that I had to waste that much time and aggravation on an "officially supported" drive.

I just wanted to share in case anyone experiences something like this! I'm not saying don't get it, though - it is nice to see the tivohd say it has 86 hours of hd storage available!
post #282 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokisince89 View Post

Not sure if this is possible, but here is my goal:

I just got the HD Tivo installed on FIOS. I would like to watch all my locals and premiums in HD.
Is there a way to relocate the local channels from the HD tier, 801-899, to appear in line with where the SD channels are.
For example:
HBO HD is 850- I’d like for it to appear in the listings with the other premiums in the 400s.
Any ideas?

You can't remap channel numbers, but you can remove channels that you do not want.

Under Settings -> Channel List, uncheck any channels that you do not watch or record from. You can also flag channels as favorites with the THUMBS UP button. Back in the guide, press ENT and you can select to show only your favorites in the guide.

If you remove all SD locals, as I did, then you can access all the HD channels in the 800s by moving below 100.
post #283 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Well, I wanted to share my experience with the tivohd "official" expansion drive...hope this doesn't get too long!

I ordered one from the tivo site, as you all (probably) know, only one drive is supported for the tivohd, the western digital "dvr expander". Arrived okay, went to hook it up, and......nothing! The tivohd didn't see it at all. (by the way, I have already hooked up a different drive to my s3, that went flawlessly.)

Did you (1) disconnect power to the Tivo, (2) connect the eSATA drive, checking that the eSATA cable is firmly inserted on both ends, and (3) reconnect power to the Tivo?

If the eSATA cable is not firmly inserted on both ends, the Tivo will not see the drive and it may not boot. I found that it is easy to accidentally knock the eSATA cable loose when reconnecting power to the Tivo. You've got to be careful about that.

Quote:

I just wanted to share in case anyone experiences something like this! I'm not saying don't get it, though - it is nice to see the tivohd say it has 86 hours of hd storage available!

From what TivoJerry said on the forums, it sounds like Tivo launched the eSATA drive before their support lines were really ready.

Another cable that is confirmed to work well with the TivoHD and Series3 is the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1, as per the Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ. The bundled cable really should work though -- it did for me.
post #284 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Did you (1) disconnect power to the Tivo, (2) connect the eSATA drive, checking that the eSATA cable is firmly inserted on both ends, and (3) reconnect power to the Tivo?

If the eSATA cable is not firmly inserted on both ends, the Tivo will not see the drive and it may not boot. I found that it is easy to accidentally knock the eSATA cable loose when reconnecting power to the Tivo. You've got to be careful about that.

From what TivoJerry said on the forums, it sounds like Tivo launched the eSATA drive before their support lines were really ready.

Another cable that is confirmed to work well with the TivoHD and Series3 is the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1, as per the Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ. The bundled cable really should work though -- it did for me.

Oh yeah, went through all the standard things, properly powering off and such between each step. Then went through it all again a couple of times with tivo tech support on the phone. There were multiple connects/reconnects of the cable, on both ends, etc. Really did turn out to be the bundled esata cable - at least, when I did all the same steps for the umpteenth time with my own esata cable, it worked fine. Sure made it look like the esata cable was the problem.

And I was pulling the tivo power from the plug end, not from the tivo end (I don't remember, does it even unplug from the tivo end?). Anyway, I wasn't near the back of the tivo when plugging back in. Isn't it possible for the esata cable to be bad? I haven't worked with esata before (at least not before doing it successfully on the s3), but you make it sound like it's not possible for the data cable to be bad...? This is one reason I wanted to share my experience...to let people know that it seems like it could be a bad cable if things don't work...
post #285 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

....So, after around 2 hours of phone nonsense, I guess it's all okay now (hopefully my cable is on the way), but it's too bad that I had to waste that much time and aggravation on an "officially supported" drive.

Ron,

You have more patience then I! Often times, if it can be determined what is wrong, and apparently you already assessed that, you could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by just going and buying an eSata cable and been out $15. (I absolutely hate telephone support of any kind for the very reasons you encountered.) Even if you do happen to get thru, there's often a cultural (read language) divide that sometimes can be unbearable. So, I simple don't bother unless I absolutely have to because it wastes so much of my time. But that's just me. Everyone has their limits I guess, and call center telephone support from half way around the world is not my idea of a challenge.

BTW, sometimes it's a good idea to keep spare cables around. I build lots of systems, so my box of spare SATA and eSata cables continues to grow. But I understand everyone doesn't necessarily have spare cables like that lying around.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #286 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

Ron,

You have more patience then I! Often times, if it can be determined what is wrong, and apparently you already assessed that, you could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by just going and buying an eSata cable and been out $15. (I absolutely hate telephone support of any kind for the very reasons you encountered.) Even if you do happen to get thru, there's often a cultural (read language) divide that sometimes can be unbearable. So, I simple don't bother unless I absolutely have to because it wastes so much of my time. But that's just me. Everyone has their limits I guess, and call center telephone support from half way around the world is not my idea of a challenge.

BTW, sometimes it's a good idea to keep spare cables around. I build lots of systems, so my box of spare SATA and eSata cables continues to grow. But I understand everyone doesn't necessarily have spare cables like that lying around.

Actually, that's funny, because that's WHY I had a spare esata cable around...after my experience with adding a drive to the S3 (that drive actually came with the wrong cable, sata I connector on one end and sata II connector on the other, when both ends needed to be sata II) I decided I wanted an extra cable on hand, so I bought one. Plus, that got me up and running quicker while the manufacturer shipped me the correct one, which became my spare.

In this case, I went through the tech support route with Tivo because this was supposed to be the "officially supported" drive, so it was the principle of the thing, and I am hoping that maybe I helped those that follow that may have problems with the drive/cable...(they sounded like they would recommend having cables on hand to their bosses). Also, I didn't figure out it was the cable until I was on the phone with them - though not with any help from them, it was my idea to check it.

I have 2 boxes+ of cables I keep on hand! It's also nice when I get something new that I don't have to run out and get a cable right away, like an hdmi or digital coax or whatever.
post #287 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
BHW

I'm about to get the HD package on Direct TV. I'm thinking about picking up an HD Tivo from somewhere other than Direct TV. Are there any models that stand out, to look for OR avoid?
post #288 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

I'm about to get the HD package on Direct TV. I'm thinking about picking up an HD Tivo from somewhere other than Direct TV. Are there any models that stand out, to look for OR avoid?

The new TivoHD and Tivo Series 3 do not work with DirecTV. You'll need to get your DVR through DirecTV.
post #289 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And I was pulling the tivo power from the plug end, not from the tivo end (I don't remember, does it even unplug from the tivo end?). Anyway, I wasn't near the back of the tivo when plugging back in. Isn't it possible for the esata cable to be bad? I haven't worked with esata before (at least not before doing it successfully on the s3), but you make it sound like it's not possible for the data cable to be bad...? This is one reason I wanted to share my experience...to let people know that it seems like it could be a bad cable if things don't work...

It is possible that WD ran out of their regular cable and stuck another one in with that batch of Expanders.

For example, some of the MyBooks ship with a different eSATA cable that does not work with the Tivo. If WD stuck those cables in with a batch of Expanders, then a lot of people are going to be calling Tivo to complain.
post #290 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

The new TivoHD and Tivo Series 3 do not work with DirecTV. You'll need to get your DVR through DirecTV.

Or buy a used H10, though that won't work with the new MPEG4 channels.
post #291 of 4820 Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Hey folks, question: Is it true that only the Tivo usb wireless adapter will work with the Tivo HD? And, if you know, how about the Series 3?

I have a unit that even worked with my cranky first-gen Series 2 (I had to get it on ebay at the time, as it was long out of production) and it has worked flawlessly with my dual tuner Series 2 picked up last year. I'd hate to have to buy a new one. Whether it will work with either will effect my decision whether to go with the HD or the Series 3 with the rebate.

Thanks.

Tim
post #292 of 4820 Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It is possible that WD ran out of their regular cable and stuck another one in with that batch of Expanders.

For example, some of the MyBooks ship with a different eSATA cable that does not work with the Tivo. If WD stuck those cables in with a batch of Expanders, then a lot of people are going to be calling Tivo to complain.

I don't know that I would jump to that conclusion, the disk that I had the wrong cable with was not a western digital, that was for the S3. The WD cable came with the correct ends on it, so I'd assume that it's the correct cable (?), just "broke"...like a bad solder joint on the connector or something, I don't know. I didn't check it for continuity.
post #293 of 4820 Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk147 View Post

Hey folks, question: Is it true that only the Tivo usb wireless adapter will work with the Tivo HD? And, if you know, how about the Series 3?

I have a unit that even worked with my cranky first-gen Series 2 (I had to get it on ebay at the time, as it was long out of production) and it has worked flawlessly with my dual tuner Series 2 picked up last year. I'd hate to have to buy a new one. Whether it will work with either will effect my decision whether to go with the HD or the Series 3 with the rebate.

Thanks.

I know for certain the TiVo HD does not support 3rd party adaptors, and I believe it is true for S3 as well but I'm not 100% positive on the S3.

That said you can get the TiVo Wireless G Adaptor for $40 shipped and unless you're planning on getting rid of the S2 or using direct network connection or phone line, then why would you pull it's network adaptor?

The price delta between the boxes is no where near the $40 for an adaptor.

S3 is still $200 more after the $200 MIR.

CCourtney
post #294 of 4820 Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Seems to me a wireless "bridge" (outputs via ethernet) should work. You can hook up multiple devices to it.
post #295 of 4820 Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 PM

for those with tivo wd expander how long is the esata cable offered..also any luck with wd 1 terabyte "my book" drives with esata on s3 tivo
post #296 of 4820 Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post

for those with tivo wd expander how long is the esata cable offered..

It's 1m.

Quote:

also any luck with wd 1 terabyte "my book" drives with esata on s3 tivo

You can use that with the Series3, but not the TivoHD [without a hack, i.e. WinMFS].

Some have had trouble with the eSATA cables supplied with past My Books. I don't know about the cable with the 1TB model.
post #297 of 4820 Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM

thanks for reply..costcos wd 1tera "my book" says it doesn't come with esata cable so i was going to buy esata II as recommended by tivocommunity. Drive still in box as I keep waffling on it's sutability use this drive for my series 3
post #298 of 4820 Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 AM

If I buy the Tivo HD box and subscribe to their service, can I still use my SA8300HD STB (TWC)? It'd be nice to have both for extra recording space.

Thanks,
Harold
post #299 of 4820 Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 AM

I have both a TiVo S3 and a Comcast-provided Motorola DCT-3416 sitting right next to each other, so something like what you describe can be done.
post #300 of 4820 Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe you could, but I also believe that just adding a 1 TB drive to your TivoHD would be a better way to give you more recording space. What keeping the Comcast box would add is a way of recording more stations at the same time. But when are you going to find time to watch all that stuff if you're recording 3 or 4 programs at the same time?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page