post #3151 of 4824 Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I don't know what you're talking about then, because you will still be able to connect the "raw" cable feed (RF) to a television (with a QAM tuner) and receive (limited) basic channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Not if the FCC grants the waver for cable co's to encrypt all basic cable.

Exactly. The whole discussion was about this possibly happening in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not if the FCC grants the waver for cable co's to encrypt all basic cable.

I don't see that getting approved.

And even if it was to be approved, I would suspect that it would only be applicable in areas where OTA reception was unequivocally ubiquitous.

Anything is possible. The real Easter Bunny could pop out of nowhere in April and hand out chocolate eggs. However, how likely is that?
post #3153 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post

I am in metro Atlanta. Comcast has a "HD Access" fee of $6.95 per unit to access HD programming. I questioned this cost when it was first brought up and a time or two since; one evening I spent over a half hour on the phone with a rep. Comcast is adamant that this fee applies. I think this cost is not widely known because Comcast is only applying it to new programming packages and not yet applying it to legacy packages. Check out Comcast.net for zip code 30067. If you check out the HD triple play packages they say "no HD access or equipment fees."

That fee is only supposed to be charged for rentals of their HD boxes. If you are only using Tivos, you should be charged an addt'l outlet fee for every Tivo after the first, not an HD access fee. That's how it is for me and I'm on Comcast in the ATL.

Please post a breakdown of your bill, along with how many boxes/Tivos that you have.
post #3154 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My TiVo HD is used for OTA only. Sometimes when I go to Messages & Settings / Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics (to see tuner statistics), it gets stuck at "Please Wait...". The TiVo continues about its business, but I'm completely locked out of the user interface. I have found no way out but to pull the plug, which is especially irritating when there's a recording in progress and I have to wait for the red light to go out. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks.
post #3155 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Has anyone heard anything more recently about the Tivo/FIOS On Demand/PPV integration?
post #3156 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Sometimes when I go to Messages & Settings / Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics (to see tuner statistics), it gets stuck at "Please Wait...".

Yes. This has happened to me and I believe is a known bug. It has been discussed in other threads.

However, I haven't seen it lately and thought perhaps it had been fixed in a software update.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
post #3157 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My TiVo HD is used for OTA only. Sometimes when I go to Messages & Settings / Account & System Information / DVR Diagnostics (to see tuner statistics), it gets stuck at "Please Wait...". The TiVo continues about its business, but I'm completely locked out of the user interface. I have found no way out but to pull the plug, which is especially irritating when there's a recording in progress and I have to wait for the red light to go out. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks.

I've never seen anyone post the specific cause of this issue, but it appears to be very rare with the current software.

You might try (a) Settings -> Channels -> Channel Scan -> Clear Scanned channels, and then (b) re-run Guided Setup.
post #3158 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I've never seen anyone post the specific cause of this issue, but it appears to be very rare with the current software.

You might try (a) Settings -> Channels -> Channel Scan -> Clear Scanned channels, and then (b) re-run Guided Setup.

Thanks (to both you and a68oliver). I've seen this lockup often enough that I wouldn't call it "very rare" in my setup. Are you implying that just having some scanned channels might contribute to the problem? I ask because I have local channels that I've never been able to get TiVo to add to their OTA guide data. If I clear them, I'll just have to add them back later. And won't re-running Guided Setup lose my forty or so season passes?
post #3159 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:

And won't re-running Guided Setup lose my forty or so season passes?

No, the guided setup only affects your channels. All settings, season passes, etc. will stay as is.
post #3160 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

What Onkyo receiver? If you have a Onkyo TX-SR605, TX-SR606, or TX-SR705, that could be a deal breaker.

It is possible that some other 2009 Onkyo models are also affected by the same issue as the TX-SR606. See Known Issues #3 and #4.

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I thought I would add some information. A couple weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Onkyo HT-RC160. I have the HDMI of the TiVo going into my TV and the TiVo optical out going into the Onkyo. In the Known Issues #5, you list the HT-RC160 as losing audio for 2-3 seconds after trick play functions. I can report that I have trick-played my way through 3 football games and twice as many baseball games and not once did the HT-RC160 lose audio after multiple skip forward or skip back button pushes. Resumption of sound was instantaneous and coincided with resumption of the picture. Perhaps Onkyo has fixed whatever problem affected the HT-RC160.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3161 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:

OK, I did that. Then after cleaning up the channel list a bit, I did a channel scan to detect and add back a local PBS retransmitter that TiVo can't seem to get into their OTA guide. So we'll see if the lockup recurs.
post #3162 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In the Known Issues #5, you list the HT-RC160 as losing audio for 2-3 seconds after trick play functions. I can report that I have trick-played my way through 3 football games and twice as many baseball games and not once did the HT-RC160 lose audio after multiple skip forward or skip back button pushes. Resumption of sound was instantaneous and coincided with resumption of the picture. Perhaps Onkyo has fixed whatever problem affected the HT-RC160.

I was told the same thing by someone else via pm, IIRC. It sounds like there are multiple revisions/versions of the same product, and only certain ones exhibit the problem.

Does your HT-RC160 indicate revision, version, and/or firmware information? You might check the box if you still have it.
post #3163 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Problem. I have the Jay Leno show on season pass while I watch other shows on CBS, etc. at that time slot. Tonight the Tivo said I cannot record Leno and watch another channel at the same time. It either records Leno while I stay on NBC, or I have to cancel the recording to turn to another channel. What's up with that?

Any help appreciated.
post #3164 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post

Problem. I have the Jay Leno show on season pass while I watch other shows on CBS, etc. at that time slot. Tonight the Tivo said I cannot record Leno and watch another channel at the same time. It either records Leno while I stay on NBC, or I have to cancel the recording to turn to another channel. What's up with that?

It sounds to me like you have Suggestions enabled.

When TiVo Suggestions are enabled, and you have one season pass recording while one suggestion is recording (see TiVo Suggestions folder) -- occupying both tuners --- and you attempt to change the channel to watch liveTV, then the TiVo will ask you if you want to cancel your season pass recording.

Many feel this is a bug; many feel the TiVo should automatically cancel the suggestion -- or at the very least, ask you if you want to cancel it -- rather than asking whether you want to cancel your season pass when you try to change the channel. The TiVo does exhibit this behavior when you click record on another channel; when you click record, the TiVo automatically cancels and deletes the suggestion to record the program you requested, without any conflict message.

If you are the type of person that likes to regularly browse liveTV while a season pass is recording, then you should probably disable Suggestions to avoid this issue. You can do that under Settings -> Recording -> Suggestions.
post #3165 of 4824 Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

It sounds to me like you have Suggestions enabled.

When TiVo Suggestions are enabled, and you have one season pass recording while one suggestion is recording (see TiVo Suggestions folder) -- occupying both tuners --- and you attempt to change the channel to watch liveTV, then the TiVo will ask you if you want to cancel your season pass recording.

Many feel this is a bug; many feel the TiVo should automatically cancel the suggestion -- or at the very least, ask you if you want to cancel it -- rather than asking whether you want to cancel your season pass when you try to change the channel. The TiVo does exhibit this behavior when you click record on another channel; when you click record, the TiVo automatically cancels and deletes the suggestion to record the program you requested, without any conflict message.

If you are the type of person that likes to regularly browse liveTV while a season pass is recording, then you should probably disable Suggestions to avoid this issue. You can do that under Settings -> Recording -> Suggestions.

Thank you. That was my problem. Tried to stack two season passes without realizing it. Put PBS show "National Parks" on season pass (6 episodes) and PBS is repeating the shows back to back through the evening.
post #3166 of 4824 Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does your HT-RC160 indicate revision, version, and/or firmware information? You might check the box if you still have it.

I don't have the box so that information will have to wait until the next time I take the receiver out of it's position and can read the back panel.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3167 of 4824 Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A really brutal night. While streaming an episode of Dr Who over NetFlix the TiVo gave it up completely and just put up a white screen on the display. No response, totally dead; the only sign of life was the activity light on the wireless adapter doing a slow on and off flash. I figured it was my Internet connection gone dead and caused the crash, but the router had all it's status lights lit as normal -- I rebooted it anyway and verified I had Internet connectivity with my PC.

I pulled the plug on the TiVo, waited 15 min then reinserted for a reboot -- no joy. It got to the "few more minutes" screen and hung. I had to power cycle reboot 4 times before it made it all the way through to TiVo central. Still no joy. As soon as I hit the Live TV button I got a blue screen with a spinning yin and yang symbol telling me it couldn't get the channel lineup. Another 10 minutes of this and I pulled the plug again for the 5th reboot. This one finally did the job and got the TiVo up to running order. I've had occasion to have to reboot the TiVo twice after a NetFlix crash but never more than two and certainly not five. I was getting nervous and thought I would be calling the service desk soon for a box replacement.

Moral of the story: 1) there is still some serious problems with the TiVo firmware implementation of NetFlix streaming that can't consistently handle an Internet outage without crashing; 2) a single reboot is not always sufficient to bring this unit all the way back from the dead. Be aware you may have to power cycle a number of times -- each time it gets a little further before locking up -- after a big crash in order to restore it to the living.

Finally, the number one feature I want to see added to the TiVo series 4 is a hardware reset button.

- kelson h

post #3168 of 4824 Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

A really brutal night. While streaming an episode of Dr Who over NetFlix the TiVo gave it up completely and just put up a white screen on the display. No response, totally dead; the only sign of life was the activity light on the wireless adapter doing a slow on and off flash. I figured it was my Internet connection gone dead and caused the crash, but the router had all it's status lights lit as normal -- I rebooted it anyway and verified I had Internet connectivity with my PC.

I pulled the plug on the TiVo, waited 15 min then reinserted for a reboot -- no joy. It got to the "few more minutes" screen and hung. I had to power cycle reboot 4 times before it made it all the way through to TiVo central. Still no joy. As soon as I hit the Live TV button I got a blue screen with a spinning yin and yang symbol telling me it couldn't get the channel lineup. Another 10 minutes of this and I pulled the plug again for the 5th reboot. This one finally did the job and got the TiVo up to running order. I've had occasion to have to reboot the TiVo twice after a NetFlix crash but never more than two and certainly not five. I was getting nervous and thought I would be calling the service desk soon for a box replacement.

Moral of the story: 1) there is still some serious problems with the TiVo firmware implementation of NetFlix streaming that can't consistently handle an Internet outage without crashing; 2) a single reboot is not always sufficient to bring this unit all the way back from the dead. Be aware you may have to power cycle a number of times -- each time it gets a little further before locking up -- after a big crash in order to restore it to the living.

Finally, the number one feature I want to see added to the TiVo series 4 is a hardware reset button.

That is scary. I have only been using Netflix streaming on my S3 for a month but it has been mostly trouble free. The rare problems have apparently been network related and I have solved them by rebooting my wireless router. So far, at least, NF has never caused a white screen of death with my TiVo.
post #3169 of 4824 Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While streaming an episode of Dr Who over NetFlix the TiVo gave it up completely and just put up a white screen on the display.

...there is still some serious problems with the TiVo firmware implementation of NetFlix streaming that can't consistently handle an Internet outage without crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That is scary. I have only been using Netflix streaming on my S3 for a month but it has been mostly trouble free. The rare problems have apparently been network related and I have solved them by rebooting my wireless router. So far, at least, NF has never caused a white screen of death with my TiVo.

I get kicked back to the NPL (or is it TiVo Central, can't recall) every three or four streams I watch. While annoying, it's fairly painless to get back to where it left off. I can't say so much for PlayOn with the PS3, my previous method of watching Netflix streaming. With PlayOn/PS3, it does not resume where left off and there is no way to fast forward. Compared to that, my TiVo works great.
post #3170 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was watching Tivo at 3:AM and a show was recording from 2:30 to 3Am. as soon as the recording was over Tivo rebooted. Is this normal to get guide data or something.
This is the first time I was watching at this time and don't think it has happened before

Tnanks

Dan
post #3171 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 AM

Perhaps you got a service update.
post #3172 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Perhaps you got a service update.

I had the latest firmware 11d. Are there other types of updates?

Dan
post #3173 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

I had the latest firmware 11d. Are there other types of updates?

Earlier this week, some people reported a "guide data ending soon" message, with no guide information available past October 5th (despite repeated connections). This issue was apparently resolved today, so it is possible that TiVo pushed out a minor update or a refresh of 11.0d software. Another possibility is that a remote command was sent to reboot TiVos, as a means to address the issue.
post #3174 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 AM

New Tivo HD owner here (unit has shipped, I've not received it yet). Reviewed the first page, and I have a question about Tip 131 - Record different shows and store them in a single folder (ex: all kids shows in a single folder).

I want to take advantage of this for my 2 year old, but I want it to be more of a folder of a bunch of series. For instance:

Now Playing List:
Kids Shows
Then subfolders of say Curious George, WordWorld, Sesame Street, all of those being season passes (series) of keep last 5 episodes.

I'm thinking of this in ReplayTV terms since that's what I've been using for the last 6 years. When you set a new recording in ReplayTV, you can assign a category to it (Kids) and when viewing the recorded shows lists, you can filter by category, so it was very easy to keep kids series (season passes) completely separate (and super easy to find) without cluttering up my own list of shows.

Do Wishlists folders at the same way? I'm thinking they don't.

And if not, I suppose I can just setup Kidszone and keep it all separate inside of there. Can I skip setting up a password? I don't currently need a password to keep my 2 year old locked out, and I don't want to set one for when exiting kidzone (because I'd have to remember to give that password out to baby sitters / family members)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Todd
post #3175 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randaltw View Post

New Tivo HD owner here (unit has shipped, I've not received it yet). Reviewed the first page, and I have a question about Tip 131 - Record different shows and store them in a single folder (ex: all kids shows in a single folder).

I want to take advantage of this for my 2 year old, but I want it to be more of a folder of a bunch of series. For instance:

Now Playing List:
Kids Shows
Then subfolders of say Curious George, WordWorld, Sesame Street, all of those being season passes (series) of keep last 5 episodes.

Unfortunately, TiVo does not support subfolders for recorded programs.

You can create season passes for each program, so the episodes for each program show up in their own folder on the recorded list. You can click "play" on the program folder and all episodes will play sequentially, from oldest to newest, without any intervention from yourself.

The alternative is to create a wishlist, where all of those shows are stored in a single folder -- without subfolders -- with a name of your choosing. For example, you could have a folder called "Mollys Shows" that contains new episodes of Curious George, WordWorld, and Sesame Street, displayed in order by recorded date. When you click play on this folder, the contents of the folder play sequentially, from oldest to newest.

Quote:

And if not, I suppose I can just setup Kidszone and keep it all separate inside of there. Can I skip setting up a password? I don't currently need a password to keep my 2 year old locked out, and I don't want to set one for when exiting kidzone (because I'd have to remember to give that password out to baby sitters / family members)

As far as I know, you cannot setup Kidzone without a four digit password.
post #3176 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I use the network features of TiVo a lot; probably as much as I do the standard DVR functionality. I stream all kinds of movies and TV series episodes from my PC disk farm and NetFlix. The only times I have ever had lockup problems were NetFlix related.

In all fairness, it really has been mostly trouble-free since 11d. I had thought the NetFlix issues were essentially solved with v11d of the software because I think I had only one other minor problem to date with NetFlix since the roll-out of 11d. I know my Internet connection stalled a couple times previously while streaming and the TiVo recovered enough to get me back to TiVo Central. This was the first white-screen crash I've ever experienced in the 8 months I've had my TiVo HD. It is scary, especially if you are not aware that it may require a string of reboots to bring it back to life. By my post I hope to make people aware of that so if they don't succeed at first, they try, try again. As long as the HDD is not faulty, linux will eventually get it's act together.

- kelson h

post #3177 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the response on this.

Quote:

You can create season passes for each program, so the episodes for each program show up in their own folder on the recorded list.

That's what I was afraid of, and I record about 9 or 10 different kids shows, which I don't want cluttering up my 'main' recorded list.

Quote:

The alternative is to create a wishlist, where all of those shows are stored in a single folder -- without subfolders -- with a name of your choosing.

Understood, but then I would lose the functionality of keeping the last X episodes of each individual show.

Quote:

As far as I know, you cannot setup Kidzone without a four digit password.

Looks like I might be taping a piece of paper with "1111" directly on the remote, LOL.

Thanks again,
Todd
post #3178 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

I get kicked back to the NPL (or is it TiVo Central, can't recall) every three or four streams I watch. While annoying, it's fairly painless to get back to where it left off. I can't say so much for PlayOn with the PS3, my previous method of watching Netflix streaming. With PlayOn/PS3, it does not resume where left off and there is no way to fast forward. Compared to that, my TiVo works great.

I think that your problem with getting kicked out of Netflix streaming is likely caused by a network issue. I briefly experimented with PlayOn for use with my PS3 but it choked on my network almost every time. I blame it on PlayOn because, as noted in my earlier post, Netflix streaming has performed well on my S3, which uses a TiVo Wireless Adapter. My Apple TV's connectivity has also been very good most of the time. Of course, an occasional glitch is inevitable on any kind of a wireless network and mine is no exception.
post #3179 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Understood, but then I would lose the functionality of keeping the last X episodes of each individual show.

The "keep last X" episodes still works with wishlists, although it obviously applies to all shows, not every individual show.

If you created a folder with five daily kid shows, then keep last 25 would be the equivalent of keep 5 for each.

Quote:

Looks like I might be taping a piece of paper with "1111" directly on the remote, LOL.

I see now that I need to update the FAQ on Kidzone. Kidzone may not do what you want. The Kidzone NPL hides all shows you have not authorized for your kids, but the main NPL does not hide the kid shows. Hence, adults don't truly get a separated recorded list.

With the current software, wishlists are the only way to keep lots of kids shows from cluttering your main NPL.
post #3180 of 4824 Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:

If you created a folder with five daily kid shows, then keep last 25 would be the equivalent of keep 5 for each.

That would be true if every show always had the same number of episodes every day or every week. Which it is pretty close, but for instance, on my PBS affiliate, Thomas the Train is only one once per week, and the other 8 shows are on daily, so I'd end up with very few episodes of Tomas with a catch all wishlist setup with that option.

Quote:

I see now that I need to update the FAQ on Kidzone. Kidzone may not do what you want. The Kidzone NPL hides all shows you have not authorized for your kids, but the main NPL does not hide the kid shows. Hence, adults don't truly get a separated recorded list.

Wow, what a bummer, such sophisticated software, yet such a simple thing that I want to do which was handled effortlessly by ReplayTv. Oh well, I can over look it as the other advantages out weigh my desire for organization of the recorded list.

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Todd
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page