post #361 of 4820 Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post

Ok, i have read this whole thread and I have a few Q?'s...
1. I know that the S3 is THX and the TivoHD is not...what is the ACTUAL difference as far as sitting watching tv...and the picture/sound that is fed to and comes out of my receiver? Does it offer an indistinguishable difference?

Unless your set up is a top-shelf set of equipment, it's not likely that you'd see a difference between the output of an S3 versus a TiVoHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post

2. Is there a set top box option for the tivo S3 or HD? Like the S2 w/ a cable mouse? Can you hook the HDMI output of the STB to an input on the Tivo or is this not an option?

No. The S3 and/or TiVoHD is the set top box. You can hook up the HDMI output of the TiVo directly to your HDMI-capable display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4820 Old 11-21-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 578
The S3 output is more stable than the TiVoHD output. My S3 output on my receiver has no problems with audio and HDMI, but several TiVoHD boxes would sometimes have a quick audio glitch when fast forwarding. Not a big deal but that was the difference I noticed. ANd that was with all 5 TiVoHD boxes I tried with my system. No problem like that with my S3 boxes. I put my two TiVoHD boxes on my TVs where the HDMI goes straight to the TV and those are fine with stereo audio.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #363 of 4820 Old 11-25-2007, 08:11 PM

thanks...I might go with the Series 3...with the $200 mail in rebate and I can find it for $529.95...I have to pay the $399 lifetime either way...so it is a $75 difference...
post #364 of 4820 Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM

I see that there are both cable and antenna inputs, but will Tivo support recording from both at the same time? I ask because it might be best to get my HD channels OTA and basic cable channels via cable input. That way I think I won't need a CableCard at all. Sound right?
post #365 of 4820 Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

I see that there are both cable and antenna inputs, but will Tivo support recording from both at the same time?

Yes, it does, although you can still only record two different channels at once. You can record two OTA, two cable, or one of each at the same time.

All OTA and cable channels are integrated into a single guide. You can pick and choose what channels you want to see in the guide.
post #366 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 03:05 AM

Oh yeah, baby!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivo112607.htm

The publication writes that the adapter, which will be available in the second quarter of 2008, will attach to TiVo Series 3 HD DVRs and TiVo's new $299 HD DVR.
post #367 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Liked: 11
Let's hope that schedule stands.
post #368 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The S3 output is more stable than the TiVoHD output. My S3 output on my receiver has no problems with audio and HDMI, but several TiVoHD boxes would sometimes have a quick audio glitch when fast forwarding. Not a big deal but that was the difference I noticed. ANd that was with all 5 TiVoHD boxes I tried with my system. No problem like that with my S3 boxes. I put my two TiVoHD boxes on my TVs where the HDMI goes straight to the TV and those are fine with stereo audio.

Yeah, along these lines, I've noticed that my tivohd does not have the sound come back for 1-1.5 seconds most times after doing a 30 second skip, while the s3 never does.
post #369 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post

Oh yeah, baby!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivo112607.htm

The publication writes that the adapter, which will be available in the second quarter of 2008, will attach to TiVo Series 3 HD DVRs and TiVo's new $299 HD DVR.

Since this device will allow 2 way communication, is there a chance of seeing the ability to use on demand through Tivo?
post #370 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 AM

A chance, but it isn't the purpose of the device so don't count on it. Keep in mind that TiVo would prefer to support VOD via Amazon Unbox ($$$ for TiVo). I agree that it isn't the same, but TiVo's perspective may be different.
post #371 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

I see that there are both cable and antenna inputs, but will Tivo support recording from both at the same time? I ask because it might be best to get my HD channels OTA and basic cable channels via cable input. That way I think I won't need a CableCard at all. Sound right?

As was said earlier, this works great. One warning, however, if you decide to use cable cards in the future. I went without cable cards for a few months and then (because a couple of my OTA stations frequently drop out) decided to get a cable card. I found to my dismay that if you add a single S-Card, the TivoHD becomes a single tuner box - even if you have an OTA connection and a cable connection. You need to have a M-Card or two S-Cards if you want to be able to record two channels at once.
post #372 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

As was said earlier, this works great. One warning, however, if you decide to use cable cards in the future. I went without cable cards for a few months and then (because a couple of my OTA stations frequently drop out) decided to get a cable card. I found to my dismay that if you add a single S-Card, the TivoHD becomes a single tuner box - even if you have an OTA connection and a cable connection. You need to have a M-Card or two S-Cards if you want to be able to record two channels at once.

And what is the 'typical' monthly rental fee for M/S cable cards?

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #373 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

And what is the 'typical' monthly rental fee for M/S cable cards?

Through Comcast, the first card should be free. There is a charge for each card after one but if you're getter an M-card, you'll only need one. Should be free.
post #374 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I've heard a full range of prices from free to $5 a card. Where I am, the first card is free and it is $2.75 for the second card. If I could get a M-Card it would be free.
post #375 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^ Thanks!

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #376 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsprankle View Post

Through Comcast, the first card should be free.

Uh, well, not "free" but rather "included". In my case, the "included" bit is my cable company DVR. So I pay for both CableCards.
post #377 of 4820 Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM

My Comcast (Massachusetts) has no charge for the first card, and $1.50 for each additional card in the same device. It's $2.75 for additional cards for other devices. However, they said that an M-Card costs $1.50 so I guess they consider it two cards. I haven't been billed for one yet, so it could also just be salesman confusion about the charge for an M-Card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsprankle View Post

Through Comcast, the first card should be free. There is a charge for each card after one but if you're getter an M-card, you'll only need one. Should be free.

post #378 of 4820 Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Is it possible to program (record and playback) tivo hd without the subscription? Does it have a "manual" mode? I suspect not...I am trying to find a solution that is dvr or even vcr like, and has at least one hd tuner etc.
post #379 of 4820 Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hambone-
No, you've got to pay. Honestly, I have a device exactly like you've described (LG LST-3410A) and never 'got' why anyone would pay for something like Tivo's service and avoided it the plague. I told my brother he was a fool and made fun of friends.

However, I got really sick of not recording shows and other glitches, so I decided to try the TivoHD. It took a day for me to decide that this was the best thing I've put in my TV room since I bought a DVD player. It is wonderful. Even my wife agrees! You can try it for 30 days, so give it a twirl.

Oh, yeah. LG discontinued the LG LSt-3410A years ago. I really don't know of any solution like what you're describing.
post #380 of 4820 Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Hyrax,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Tivo HD loses its programming settings if it is completely powered down? The thing sucks a fair amount of power in standby - 36 watts - which I would like to avoid. I am interested in recording a handful of programs and would like to completely remove power from the device during the days that I know it won't need to wake up and record something.
post #381 of 4820 Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Hyrax,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Tivo HD loses its programming settings if it is completely powered down? The thing sucks a fair amount of power in standby - 36 watts - which I would like to avoid. I am interested in recording a handful of programs and would like to completely remove power from the device during the days that I know it won't need to wake up and record something.

My tests show it is actually closer to 28 watts. I did upgrade the hard drive with a 1TB WD10EACS, though.

The TivoHD does not lose any settings if you pull the power plug, but it does take 5+ minutes to boot.

At the national average for KWH, the TiVo would cost you about 7 cents per day to run. If you use the DVR in that way, you are giving up one of TiVo's best features -- autorecord wishlists. I have autorecord wishlists set to record all presidential forums / debates, all my local pro teams in high-def, high-def movies with my favorite actors and actresses, all new 2007 movies in high-def, and a host of other topics.
post #382 of 4820 Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM

BFDTV,
Its good to hear that the standby power consumption is less than 30W...I am trying to minimize power consumption in my house and 28W 24 hours a day works out to be ~240KWH per year...adding that to the standby load generated by TV, VCR, Stereo, and all the other appliances that don't really turn off and the total "phantom" load is significant although the financial cost is minimal.

I have installed 2kw PV which in Oregon gives me about 2000KWH. 200KWH consumption from Tivo on standby would be about 10% of my production. So for me the best thing is to sacrifice some of the features of Tivo but still be able to watch HD and record HD. I have had this boat anchor HD capable TV for 4 years and still have not seen HD on it and keep waiting for the perfect solution...for me --a low power HD tuner with record capability --but nothing out there has grabbed me so far. Thus, a dumbed down Tivo might just be the ticket.
post #383 of 4820 Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Cox is going to charge me $85 to have 2 cable cards installed in my brand new TivoHD. Is that excessive, or what?!? What have other people had to pay? It feels like Cox is trying to stick it to me for not using their DVR!
post #384 of 4820 Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post

Cox is going to charge me $85 to have 2 cable cards installed in my brand new TivoHD. Is that excessive, or what?!? What have other people had to pay? It feels like Cox is trying to stick it to me for not using their DVR!

Definately sounds like they're trying to pound salt up your butt. Will they allow you to install them yourself?
post #385 of 4820 Old 12-02-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Hyrax,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Tivo HD loses its programming settings if it is completely powered down?

While it may or may not necessarily be the best thing to do for the long-term reliability of the system, The TiVo HD doesn't lose any settings whatsoever when powered down.
post #386 of 4820 Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie View Post

Definately sounds like they're trying to pound salt up your butt. Will they allow you to install them yourself?

Unfortunately they won't. I went in to the office and they wouldn't give them to me, and then I called customer service and heard the same thing. Now with all the horror stories I've been reading about cablecards, not to mention the exhorbitant installation charge, I'm seriously thinking about returning the Tivo to Best Buy. I fear the cablecards won't be worth the headaches - I can just imagine Cox screwing up the $85-install, then having them come back multiple times to get the cards to work. Cox's programming is decent, but their service is atrocious.
post #387 of 4820 Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post

...Now with all the horror stories I've been reading about cablecards, not to mention the exhorbitant installation charge, I'm seriously thinking about returning the Tivo to Best Buy. I fear the cablecards won't be worth the headaches - ...

I believe Tivo has a support number for helping with cablecard installs. Before you return it, why not try giving them a call (at their normal, 800, support number). Perhaps they can talk some sense into Cox.

BTW, I believe most people are not having as much trouble now with cablecards as they were a year ago. My experience has been wonderful.
post #388 of 4820 Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I believe Tivo has a support number for helping with cablecard installs. Before you return it, why not try giving them a call (at their normal, 800, support number). Perhaps they can talk some sense into Cox.

Thanks Hyrax, I will give that a shot. Good to hear that your experiences with CC's have been good - I guess most people only post when they have trouble!
post #389 of 4820 Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had my TivoHD for a few months and love it, but there is a slight problem... I love old movies, so I just signed up for TCM and Fox Movies. The problem is my Now Playing list is filled with a growing list of about 100 movies (the downside of adding a 1TB HDD). Is there anyway for me to organize them into folders? A Movies folder at a minimum would be great. A 'Movies-Drama'...'Movies-Mystery'... and so on, would be better.
post #390 of 4820 Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I've had my TivoHD for a few months and love it, but there is a slight problem... I love old movies, so I just signed up for TCM and Fox Movies. The problem is my Now Playing list is filled with a growing list of about 100 movies (the downside of adding a 1TB HDD). Is there anyway for me to organize them into folders? A Movies folder at a minimum would be great. A 'Movies-Drama'...'Movies-Mystery'... and so on, would be better.

I don't believe there is a way to create custom folders nor a way to move shows into them if they did exist.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page