post #4501 of 4820 Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post

I'm using TiVo Desktop with an HDXL to transfer via the original wireless dongle to a very fast HTPC. It's pretty painfully slow.

Using kmttg I get a max sustained transfer rate of 14-15 Mbps (TiVo HD). There is a trick to use to get max speed. Set both tuners of the TiVo to dead-air channels. The TiVo won't record dead-air channels which frees up the processor for the transfer. A TiVo network transfer is not just a simple bit-blitz. The recording is stored on the HDD as separate A & V transport streams; the processor has to mux them together into an MPEG-2 file on the fly before sending it out over the wire, so the transfer is bound by the processor. The Premier uses a higher power chip; the transfer rate is much faster.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4820 Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kelson thanks for the info.

Unfortunately the TiVo is barely alive and won't put up a picture. It still responds to TiVo desktop requests to my surprise. So I can't mess with the tuners. Once the last transfer is complete it goes to the big RMA in the sky.

Jim
post #4503 of 4820 Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 85
In that case I'd try pulling the RF cable from the Tivo. Without a RF source it should have no channels and would act like it's tuned to dead air??? worth a try.
post #4504 of 4820 Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
I'm using TiVo Desktop with an HDXL to transfer via the original wireless dongle to a very fast HTPC. It's pretty painfully slow.
jim
As commented, transfers on the TivoHD are slow even when wired Ethernet is used. One (and perhaps the only) way to improve speed is to set both channels to a station where there is no signal. That way you should be able to transfer in under 2x.
post #4505 of 4820 Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 AM

kmttg has a config option called "autoTune" which uses the telnet connection to tune both tuners to unused channels to speed up transfers. The speed up comes from the fact that the TiVo doesn't have to write the LiveTV buffer on the disk when the tuner is parked on an invalid channel. The reduction in load on the CPU and disk from not having to write the LiveTV buffer speeds everything else up.

I use two unused channels on my system (ch 888 and 889) in my kmttg config for this purpose.

Other than that, you're not gonna get much faster transfer speeds out of your TiVoHD unit, as it has the slowest network performance of the HD, Series3, and Premiere units. I routinely see transfer speeds of 45Mbps from my Premiere.
post #4506 of 4820 Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
Nobody ranting yet on the Premiere Q.....
post #4507 of 4820 Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborland View Post

Nobody ranting yet on the Premiere Q.....

Only 'ranting' will be when it becomes available and at what price and to what parts of the country - AND if TiVo makes it actually economical to upgrade existing boxes.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4508 of 4820 Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM

So far TiVo has said availability will be through service providers only, e.g. Comcast, et. al.

Jim
post #4509 of 4820 Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM

I own a Tivo Series 3. I recently installed a Western Digital My DVR Expander. When I check the available desk space using kmttg, kmttg does not see the external hard drive. Is this normal or should kmttg be able to also see the My DVR Expander? Also, the My DVR Expander is noisy. Is this normal?
post #4510 of 4820 Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLA View Post

I own a Tivo Series 3. I recently installed a Western Digital My DVR Expander. When I check the available desk space using kmttg, kmttg does not see the external hard drive. Is this normal or should kmttg be able to also see the My DVR Expander? Also, the My DVR Expander is noisy. Is this normal?

I have had a 1TB WD My DVR Expander connected to my S3 for four months and it has worked as advertised and has been as silent as a stone. I suspect, therefore, that your noisy one is not operating normally. I don't use kmttg so can't address that part of your question.
post #4511 of 4820 Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLA View Post

I own a Tivo Series 3. I recently installed a Western Digital My DVR Expander. When I check the available desk space using kmttg, kmttg does not see the external hard drive. Is this normal or should kmttg be able to also see the My DVR Expander?

Kmttg doesn't know the storage capacity of your Tivo. It it adds up the total size of the recordings on the Tivo, and if that size exceeds the current disk capacity setting, then it increases the disk capacity to that value. So if you let your Tivo fill up, then kmttg be able to provide an accurate storage capacity number.

You can also manually enter a number if you don't want to wait for your Tivo to fill up. 90% of your total disk capacity should be a reasonable starting point. If/when your Tivo fills up, then kmttg will be able to update it to the actual storage capacity, which is probably a little more than 90%.

The reason the storage capacity is less than the total disk capacity is because the Tivo needs to reserve some space for the operating system, live TV buffers, etc. Also, kmttg displays disk space in MiB, where hard disk manufacturers rate capacity in MB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte).
post #4512 of 4820 Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

Kmttg doesn't know the storage capacity of your Tivo. It it adds up the total size of the recordings on the Tivo, and if that size exceeds the current disk capacity setting, then it increases the disk capacity to that value. So if you let your Tivo fill up, then kmttg be able to provide an accurate storage capacity number.

You can also manually enter a number if you don't want to wait for your Tivo to fill up. 90% of your total disk capacity should be a reasonable starting point. If/when your Tivo fills up, then kmttg will be able to update it to the actual storage capacity, which is probably a little more than 90%.

The reason the storage capacity is less than the total disk capacity is because the Tivo needs to reserve some space for the operating system, live TV buffers, etc. Also, kmttg displays disk space in MiB, where hard disk manufacturers rate capacity in MB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte).

I have gone into kmttg and manually entered a number equal to 90% of the total combined disk space. The pie chart now looks correct. Thanks for the tip.
post #4513 of 4820 Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all! I am absolutely brand new to Tivo. So new, that I don't own one yet. I currently own an OTA HD DVR (not well known) called a DTV Pal. It works ok, but only gets about 24 hours of guide info and it's hard to find what you want.
I am seriously considering buying a refurb $79.99 Tivo premiere (from tivo dot com ) and giving it a shot for 12 months. At $20 a month, it's a lot more than I am paying.... which is nothing.
Do many of you use Tivo with OTA signals? Do you see any advantages? Disadvantages?
ALSO, and very importantly, I have a media room with an extensive setup of 5.1 Channel speakers, Denon receiver, large 1080 P projector, etc.
How is the quality of the video and audio using a Tivo premiere?

Thanks!!!
post #4514 of 4820 Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post

Hi all! I am absolutely brand new to Tivo. So new, that I don't own one yet. I currently own an OTA HD DVR (not well known) called a DTV Pal. It works ok, but only gets about 24 hours of guide info and it's hard to find what you want.
I am seriously considering buying a refurb $79.99 Tivo premiere (from tivo dot com ) and giving it a shot for 12 months. At $20 a month, it's a lot more than I am paying.... which is nothing.
Do many of you use Tivo with OTA signals? Do you see any advantages? Disadvantages?
ALSO, and very importantly, I have a media room with an extensive setup of 5.1 Channel speakers, Denon receiver, large 1080 P projector, etc.

Thanks!!!

No advantage or disadvantage with ota vs cable or fios providing you have a strong signal. Anything less gives a less than desirable effect.

TiVo will output to your system very well; it has in my system for about 11 years. I would consider investing in a lifetime sub if you can do it.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #4515 of 4820 Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm OTA only along with dial-up guide and I couldn't be happier. I have the older Tivo HD which I added lifetime from day one. The ~$550 total was kind of hard to swallow but I have no regrets whatsoever! The Tivo guide along with Season Passes and wishlist recording are great.
post #4516 of 4820 Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Since the Premiere records the signal digitally, it is an exact copy of the broadcast signal. This results in no degradation. Assuming you have an adequate signal, you should see no difference between live broadcast and Tivo recordings.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
post #4517 of 4820 Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks!!!

I'm so happy with OTA that I canceled cable. It has been a hobby of mine to record OTA broadcasts of Late Night Musical Guests in 1080i 5.1 surround on my TiVo and either burn them to DVD or convert them for Apple TV. I've got over 60 hours of HD live performances from some great bands.

TiVo OTA has been a great value for the money.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #4518 of 4820 Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks all for the TiVo buying advice. My refurbished premiere box should be here on Thursday. I found the www.musicobsessed.com website helpful for the late night tv musical guests lineup mentioned earlier. Thanks again!
post #4519 of 4820 Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello there!

I want to set up a streaming (and/or push-pull) server for my parents, who have two TivoHDs (one TivoHD and one Series3), so I plan on using StreamBaby and/or pyTivo. The media will be standard-def DivX and high-def MKVs (720p & 1080p).

What kind of system would I need to build that's beefy enough for on-the-fly encoding/streaming of the above?

TIA!

post #4520 of 4820 Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Liked: 12
I just download the Tivo app (v1.5(3148)) into my new iPad2. But the app couldn't detect my Tivo HD on the network. Did any one experience the same problem and know the way to make it work?
post #4521 of 4820 Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

I just download the Tivo app (v1.5(3148)) into my new iPad2. But the app couldn't detect my Tivo HD on the network. Did any one experience the same problem and know the way to make it work?

I've never used an iPad, but I think there's a TiVo setting somewhere that needs to be changed. It might be under Settings / Remote, CableCARD, & Devices / Network Remote Control.
post #4522 of 4820 Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

Hello there!

I want to set up a streaming (and/or push-pull) server for my parents, who have two TivoHDs (one TivoHD and one Series3), so I plan on using StreamBaby and/or pyTivo. The media will be standard-def DivX and high-def MKVs (720p & 1080p).

What kind of system would I need to build that's beefy enough for on-the-fly encoding/streaming of the above?

TIA!

Here's what I've put together at newegg:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3GHz Dual-Core CPU
MicroATX mobo w/ Radeon HD 4200 IGP
4GB DDR3 1333

Good enough?

post #4523 of 4820 Old 08-12-2011, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 193
You don't need much, that's plenty powerful. I run streambaby and pyTivo on an old Athlon X2 4400 with a couple GB RAM and Win7 and it works fine, never have issues, don't even think it takes more than 20% CPU when running ffmpeg. How are your parents going to put the files on the server for streaming?
post #4524 of 4820 Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

I'm doing it for them and am ripping their DVDs and Blu-rays as we speak. I just wanted to be sure the above system would be good to go for on-the-fly 1080p mkv streaming. I'll most likely do StreamBaby rather than pyTivo, since I've already encoded some mkvs that aren't true 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (removed the black bars for 2.35:1 rips).

post #4525 of 4820 Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
1080 mkv's can stream on a non-gb ethernet connection?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4526 of 4820 Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

1080 mkv's can stream on a non-gb ethernet connection?

Sure. Using a Boxee Box I could stream them (without issue) via a Mac Mini USB hard drive.
post #4527 of 4820 Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got Verizon FIOS last week. I like it so far, but we have the whole house DVR and the two secondary STB's won't SKIP and REPLAY like the main DVR will........ any suggestions?

thanks!!!
Kevin
post #4528 of 4820 Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Are these Verizon dvr's? If so, you are in the wrong group and most in his group don't care about this issue.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #4529 of 4820 Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Hi all, thank you again for the TiVo buying advice. I do like my Premiere. 6 months of Hulu Plus came free with the new box. I must admit, that it's pretty sucky. The picture quality is fine, and the nuts and bolts/ UI is okay, but the content selection is absolutely crappy.
Does anyone use Hulu Plus on their TiVo box? I know that Hulu dot com has much more additional content, but they cannot stream it through devices that connect directly to TVs like TiVo boxes. Does anyone have a way around this that they have actually set up effectively? I am somewhat familiar with Playon, but it is worth the $80 and wear and tear on my PC to have this complicated network of devices running all the time? I also have an XBOX360, but again, this is aging and I'm worried about using it exclusively for watching Hulu or Playon.
Any suggestions would be great!

Ps. I just dropped Netflix, I'm disgusted that they think they can raise their prices 39% and expect no one to bat an eye.
post #4530 of 4820 Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Hi all, thank you again for the TiVo buying advice. I do like my Premiere. 6 months of Hulu Plus came free with the new box. I must admit, that it's pretty sucky. The picture quality is fine, and the nuts and bolts/ UI is okay, but the content selection is absolutely crappy.
Does anyone use Hulu Plus on their TiVo box? I know that Hulu dot com has much more additional content, but they cannot stream it through devices that connect directly to TVs like TiVo boxes. Does anyone have a way around this that they have actually set up effectively? I am somewhat familiar with Playon, but it is worth the $80 and wear and tear on my PC to have this complicated network of devices running all the time? I also have an XBOX360, but again, this is aging and I'm worried about using it exclusively for watching Hulu or Playon.
Any suggestions would be great!

Ps. I just dropped Netflix, I'm disgusted that they think they can raise their prices 39% and expect no one to bat an eye.

An HTPC is all I can think of that would work. That way, you feed a computer's video directly to your HD display. I use a Mac Mini connected via HDMI to my HD display and it has been outstanding for the purpose. Nevertheless, I have never felt the need to subscribe to Hulu Plus.

I dropped Netflix even before the price increase because of the company's policy of passing over newly released BDs of either catalog titles of movies or TV series. I then resubscribed to Blockbuster, which has been doing an excellent job since Dish bought BB's assets. By the way, BB does buy a very high percentage of newly released BD editions of classic films and TV shows.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page